Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Advice for running COA 2 normal solo

parkham
parkham
✭✭✭
I've just gotten to the point where I am attempting to solo normal dungeons. City of Ash, Fungal Grotto, only those two. Slowly...slowly progressing. I know, people can do this blindfolded and asleep, I hear some say. My premise is:

- Knows (or will learn the mechanics)
- Going in solo
- Not using potions except plain healing pots you pick up from monster loot
- Using only Nova as an ultimate
- cp225 templar-magicka-dunmer
- 16-31-11 H/M/S stats
- 1.5k dps / 55 crit - 18k spell - 12k physical resists
- using deltia's magicka templar omega solo build as a reference
- using a junk set (not optimal) - Burning spell weave infused/reinforced/divines mixed bag of stuff cause I don't have twice born star, no monster masks, withered hand - sharpened weapons though - mix of purple and blue.

My question:

- Can I reliably, easily do COA2 on normal?

I assume so, I mean I saw the video of the guy doing nMaelstrom nekkid with a staff and spamming only one skill, I guess this can be done?
Any advice is appreciated.

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
- Divine Crusade Guild
- Greybeards & Gals Guild
- Dead Citizens Guild
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    I mean, I know it can be done - just with the sorry state of affairs my character is in, could you take this scrub and do it, that's the question.

I'll post a /mybuild later tonight if that will help.
    Edited by parkham on March 20, 2017 2:33PM

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • Articulemort
    Articulemort
    ✭✭✭
    You would probably be better off running Julianos for one thing.
    Your max magicka seems a bit low. Same thing with "1.5 dps", I'm assuming that means spell damage.

Normal dungeons can be soloed, however with the stats you have, I think you'll struggle a bit.

Try 5 piece Julianos, willpower jewelry and a 3 piece sustain set like seducers or Magnus. If you want a small boost to damage, grab 3 pieces of Vicious Death for mad cheap instead. Make sure armor is purple and weapons ar gold, that will really help.

That should give you a basic build to get through a solo normal dungeon.

May I ask why are you trying to solo nCOA2? Why not just run solo nCOA1 if your trying to farm BSW?
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    There's a monster set in coa2 I want to try and get. I figured practicing nCoa2 will help when I attempt to jump in vCoa2 at some point.

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • Articulemort
    Articulemort
    ✭✭✭
    Ahhh ok, have you tried vet dungeons yet?
    No offense but you stats seem too low to complete them as a dps, especially vCOA2.

I'd be interested in seeing your exact build, it would help lot in how to help you get your build better.
  • Articulemort
    Articulemort
    ✭✭✭
    Also, what platform/server do you play on?
    If Xbox NA I would gladly help you in game.
    Edited by Articulemort on March 20, 2017 2:54PM
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    parkham wrote: »
    There's a monster set in coa2 I want to try and get. I figured practicing nCoa2 will help when I attempt to jump in vCoa2 at some point.

vCoA II isnt really difficult. Just ask some friends to run it with you and explain the mechanics. If you don't have friends that can run vCoA II, find a guild and ask for help there. As CoA drops BSW and Skoria and mDKs recently got buffed, there will be a lot of people that want to run the dungeon.

Running normal or veteran dungeons solo is a good practice for your char to be self sufficient and learn to be independent of group performance though. But if you want to run it solo to be able to run vet one day, this is brave but completely unnecessary.
    PC EU - Ebonheart Pact - Gray Host - Death Recap -#zergfarming -
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    Also, what platform/server do you play on?
    If Xbox NA I would gladly help you in game.

yeah sorry, I keep forgetting to post that - it's PC-NA

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    No offense but you stats seem too low to complete them as a dps, especially vCOA2.

I'd be interested in seeing your exact build, it would help lot in how to help you get your build better.

@Articulemort : No offence taken at all, that's why I'm here asking questions. I've did a few vet dungeons running as a tank with gear I've picked up here and there. I seem to be "OK" as a tank and if the group is good, it goes fairly well.

So, it would seem that it's completely doable using completely crafted sets (6 piece research and below), all purple with golden weapons using cheap purple jewelry then?

Some of this stuff listed in builds I see is nigh on impossible to get at this time for me. Solo is a great challenge for me to try with cheap gear. What would the goal be attribute / damage / critical / resistance wise using "stock" gear that could get the job done?

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • Articulemort
    Articulemort
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, a lot of people post builds that require Maelstrom Weapons and monster sets and the like.

I would recommend 5 Julianos, 3 Magnus or Seducer and 3 Willpower Jewelry. You would want all crafted to be divines with sharpened weapons, and your jewelry arcane. Spell damage glyphs on your jewelry and magicka glyphs on armor. If your struggling with sustain issue, swap the jewelry glyphs for magicka regen( you shouldn't if your using that skill that gives MagickaSteal or whatever it's called). The Mundus that increase max magicka is good.

If you have access to a Master Crafter or have a decent amount of gold, I would swap Julianos for Twice Born Star, but if you can't craft that yourself( it's a 9 trait set) it can be extremely expensive for a full set( I know crafters who charge 25k a piece just to craft it, not including mats).

Your goal is to get Max Magicka as high as possible, close to 40k but still have over 2k in spell damage. If you have the Undaunted Mettle passives, run 5 light 1 medium and 1 heavy, if not just run all light.

You want your spell crit above 50% if possible, some people say 60% and over is just overkill, I have no idea. I believe my magplar is around 45% or so.

Edit: If you want to grind out a few dropped sets, I've heard good things about Mothers Sorrow and The Withered Hand sets. I would run 5 Julianos, 5 mothers sorrow or withered hand( including jewelry) then personally since you have one slot left I run Molag Kena Shoulder.
    Edited by Articulemort on March 20, 2017 3:55PM
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

@Articulemort : No offence taken at all, that's why I'm here asking questions. I've did a few vet dungeons running as a tank with gear I've picked up here and there. I seem to be "OK" as a tank and if the group is good, it goes fairly well.

So, it would seem that it's completely doable using completely crafted sets (6 piece research and below), all purple with golden weapons using cheap purple jewelry then?

Some of this stuff listed in builds I see is nigh on impossible to get at this time for me. Solo is a great challenge for me to try with cheap gear. What would the goal be attribute / damage / critical / resistance wise using "stock" gear that could get the job done?

Julianos+Willpower+Monster set of choice(or if none availabe, 3 piece Seducer or something would do I guess) is actually a pretty solid combo. Even for proper dps in vet dungeons, I'm too lazy to farm but it seems my sorc can pull nearly 30k(~29k on good parse>.>) self buffed using Juli+Willpower+Illambris on target skele. It's not exactly what #1 leaderboards people are pulling but I'd say it's more than decent to not have any issues in vet coa 2 assuming you have some semblance of a proper rotation ;)

Soloing might actually require a slightly different setup due to you needing to heal and mitigate damage all on your own. But I'd say you could try Julianos and stuff too, maybe with regen enchanted jewelry or something, and see how it goes from there. I haven't run normal dungeons for the longest time so I'm actually not too sure there.
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    I see Vigor brought up a lot for healing. I need to get out to Cyrodiil and learn some basics of PvP and get those AP lines raised too. I've just been too sorry to go lately.

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • Articulemort
    Articulemort
    ✭✭✭
    I see Vigor brought up a lot for healing. I need to get out to Cyrodiil and learn some basics of PvP and get those AP lines raised too. I've just been too sorry to go lately.

As a magicka Templar you shouldn't be using Vigor, ever. Breath of Life is a thousand times better for healing. Plus, using Puncturing Sweeps or whenever the magicka morph is that heals based on damage done, you shouldn't even have a problem healing since that should be your main spammable.
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    That's what I've been doing, using Puncturing Sweeps. For me, it's the only way to stay alive sometimes.

I just did some back of the envelope calculations, and this is without any practical knowledge or experience with monster sets - BUT... from what my inexperienced mind has gleamed, I believe that for:

Offense AOE - Stormfist seems to pack the biggest AOE punch and most damage on average? Grothdaar has a bigger radius, but it looks like average dps, can't compete anywhere with Stormfist.

Offense Single - Selene looks to be the best, also, Spawn of Mephala for single target damage. Slimecraw looked massive too.

Defense - Mighty Chuda looks pretty good to me? Tremorscale looked really good for tanks, though.

Healing - Chokethorn was the only one that looked any good to me, and I didn't think any of them looked very good.

Sustain - Engine Guardian was the winner there in my book.

Great mention I think, is Infernal Guardian.

It looks like I should also look at these from an over time and one shot perspective. Sorry I'm rambling now, so i'm going to stop this reply!
    Edited by parkham on March 20, 2017 7:22PM

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Vigor is just talked about alot because its pretty much the only reliable self heal most stamina builds have. But since you are a magica templar, you have access to vastly more heals that have a much higher degree of versatility.
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a general rule, a magplar can solo undaunted dungeons on normal UNLESS there's a boss that has some sort of snare mechanic that would prevent it. I think an example is the first boss in Fungal Grotto 2...if I remember...she holds a player down with four chain wielding adds that another player has to kill before you explode.

I don't remember CoA2 presenting anything like this that would prevent you from doing it. However, it's one I avoid doing solo because it's long and boring solo. That's a first consideration. If that one comes up I take a friend, or skip it.

Two, I don't love a few things about Deltias build. Mostly, yes. I like Alcast's pve magplar better, especially for running 4 person content solo. If it were me, I'd want entropy on the bar somewhere for the 20% spell damage. And I would ditch the trap in exchange for harness magicka on the front bar. I move so much faster w harness.

Three, you're at a cp level where upgrading gear is going to start really, really adding up and making a difference. Do you have an end game gear setup in mind, and does it include a crafted set? If so you could begin upgrading that portion. If not, Julianos is a great all-around set to carry. My magplars all carry all pieces of Julianos in gold...so I can mix and match w any hard to get drop sets. Can you supplement your burning spell weave w Julianos and run two sets?

You're also at a level where you should probably run at least purple gear...it's not that expensive to get the purple mats. And you can start upgrading some stuff to gold. This is more annoying, but if you do daily writs you'll get enough gold mats to upgrade a piece every couple of weeks. Start with weapons...make sure they're a set you think you want to use for a while, get sharpened weapons, then go gold. That's a big boost to dps.

To answer your question, you might struggle with CoA2 but it's doable. If you hit a wall, I think that gear and skill bars will help overcome it more than it being a CP issue.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    As a general rule, a magplar can solo undaunted dungeons on normal UNLESS there's a boss that has some sort of snare mechanic that would prevent it. I think an example is the first boss in Fungal Grotto 2...if I remember...she holds a player down with four chain wielding adds that another player has to kill before you explode.

I don't remember CoA2 presenting anything like this that would prevent you from doing it. However, it's one I avoid doing solo because it's long and boring solo. That's a first consideration. If that one comes up I take a friend, or skip it.

Two, I don't love a few things about Deltias build. Mostly, yes. I like Alcast's pve magplar better, especially for running 4 person content solo. If it were me, I'd want entropy on the bar somewhere for the 20% spell damage. And I would ditch the trap in exchange for harness magicka on the front bar. I move so much faster w harness.

Three, you're at a cp level where upgrading gear is going to start really, really adding up and making a difference. Do you have an end game gear setup in mind, and does it include a crafted set? If so you could begin upgrading that portion. If not, Julianos is a great all-around set to carry. My magplars all carry all pieces of Julianos in gold...so I can mix and match w any hard to get drop sets. Can you supplement your burning spell weave w Julianos and run two sets?

You're also at a level where you should probably run at least purple gear...it's not that expensive to get the purple mats. And you can start upgrading some stuff to gold. This is more annoying, but if you do daily writs you'll get enough gold mats to upgrade a piece every couple of weeks. Start with weapons...make sure they're a set you think you want to use for a while, get sharpened weapons, then go gold. That's a big boost to dps.

To answer your question, you might struggle with CoA2 but it's doable. If you hit a wall, I think that gear and skill bars will help overcome it more than it being a CP issue.

You can actually kill those adds if you get your ground based DoTs down just before they spawn, at least I was able to with my stam sorc. On a magplar I believe WoE, blazing spear and grothdar would be enough. You only have to kill one of them. I was solo farming that boss for a while for the unique dagger that he drops, that I never actually got yet...
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA