Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Noob Crafting Problems

Kaymorolis
Kaymorolis
✭✭✭
I'm hoping someone can help me with some of the finer points of crafting.

I've been playing for just about a month now, and doing what crafting I can along the way. I've focused mainly on Blacksmith and Clothier in an attempt to craft armor and weapons for me to use in the leveling process, but everything I can craft is clearly inferior to what I get from quests and the occasional dungeon.

So my crafting experience thus far is just researching traits and de-constructing everything else I come across. Oh, and checking every container I come across hoping to find a decent recipe.

Outside of the gear-related professions, I find provisioning to be the most useful. I've avoided enchanting mainly because I've read how much of a PITA it is to level.

Oh, and alchemy. Yeah...no. My certification quest remains undone as I can't even figure out how to make the basic potion the guy is asking for. I keep throwing random ingredients into the pot and sometimes it reveals what something does. But most of the time I get nothing.

Can anyone clue me in as to what I'm missing?
PC | NA
CP: 240+
Tai'Zar - 50 Bosmer Stamblade
Annatar the Fair - 50 Altmer MagSorc
Rules Through Fear - 50 Argonian Templar
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deltia has a guide here which might help you with the alchemy: http://deltiasgaming.com/2016/05/06/eso-alchemy-guide/

There is a thread which has mixtures to unlock all traits here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/203575/the-most-efficent-way-alchemy-discovery-and-leveling

Enchanting is a PITA to level but still worth doing, just break down every glyph you find and don't use, when you have a nice stock of parts to make glyphs have a friend, guild member or alt craft them into new glyphs and trade them back to break down. Ones made by players/characters other than the one you're on will have better inspiration (crafting XP) than ones found in the world.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Kaymorolis
    Kaymorolis
    ✭✭✭
    Deltia has a guide here which might help you with the alchemy: http://deltiasgaming.com/2016/05/06/eso-alchemy-guide/

There is a thread which has mixtures to unlock all traits here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/203575/the-most-efficent-way-alchemy-discovery-and-leveling
    Thanks, I'll check those out!
    Enchanting is a PITA to level but still worth doing, just break down every glyph you find and don't use
    It never occurred to me to even look to see if I could deconn a glyph. :(

PC | NA
    CP: 240+
    Tai'Zar - 50 Bosmer Stamblade
    Annatar the Fair - 50 Altmer MagSorc
    Rules Through Fear - 50 Argonian Templar
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Keep in mind the special crafting stations located throughout Tamriel where you can craft set pieces like Hundings Rage, Seducer, etc. Those are unlocked by researching enough traits and each special crafting station has it's own trait requirements.

Alchemy is not too bad to level. You can level that skill from 0 - 50 in a couple of hours or less if you do it right and have enough skill points. There are some guides on the net for leveling ESO Alchemy so check those out. Same goes for Provisioning, another craft that is easy to level.

Enchanting has always been the crafting nightmare in ESO. The only real experience you get is from learning the different types of stones (Potency, Essence, Aspect), deconstructing dropped glyphs, and doing the Enchanting writs. Another way is to find a "Enchanting buddy". What you do is find someone who is interested in leveling their enchanting. You make blue or purple glyphs for them and they deconstruct your glyphs for decent XP. They do the same for you, and you go back and forth creating and deconstructing glyphs. Creating and deconstructing your own glyphs does nothing for your XP. You can also buy glyphs from the guild stores to deconstruct if needed.
    Edited by Ashtaris on March 16, 2017 2:44PM
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You can also look into addons; a few of them could make your crafting life easier, especially for alchemy.
  • alsuran
    alsuran
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, if you're on PC, there are plenty of addons to make life easy for you. I use the ones below. You can find them on esoui.com (install minion software and search for addons from it)

Potion Maker (for Alchemy Crafting)
    Quick Enchanter
    Craftstore Fixed and Improved
  • NCISS
    NCISS
    Kaymorolis wrote: »

I've been playing for just about a month now, and doing what crafting I can along the way. I've focused mainly on Blacksmith and Clothier in an attempt to craft armor and weapons for me to use in the leveling process, but everything I can craft is clearly inferior to what I get from quests and the occasional dungeon.

So my crafting experience thus far is just researching traits and de-constructing everything else I come across. Oh, and checking every container I come across hoping to find a decent recipe.

Outside of the gear-related professions, I find provisioning to be the most useful. I've avoided enchanting mainly because I've read how much of a PITA it is to level.

Oh, and alchemy. Yeah...no. My certification quest remains undone as I can't even figure out how to make the basic potion the guy is asking for. I keep throwing random ingredients into the pot and sometimes it reveals what something does. But most of the time I get nothing.

Go to minion.gg and download the program file. This will allow to to grab addons for ESO. There are addons that help you sort out crafting rather quickly. I did this yesterday and went from Alch 8 - nearly 15 in a few moments with supplies I had as well as Ench 7 - nearly 15.
    You will need to pick & choose your addons based on your own needs, but they do have Desc files & URLs if you like.
    PC/NA Resto-Dest Sorc
    PC/NA Warden
  • NCISS
    NCISS
    alsuran wrote: »
    Indeed, if you're on PC, there are plenty of addons to make life easy for you. I use the ones below. You can find them on esoui.com (install minion software and search for addons from it)

Potion Maker (for Alchemy Crafting)
    Quick Enchanter
    Craftstore Fixed and Improved

This is the one I was talking about. Awesome website
    PC/NA Resto-Dest Sorc
    PC/NA Warden
  • Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kaymorolis wrote: »

First off level all of them on 1 toon. Second start extracting glyphs all the ones you get from questing. Do yourself a favor and look online for an alchemy calculator. They will give you the combos to find all the traits with the least amount of waste. You can also eat the ingredient and find one of the traits. The big 3 take time, so research important traits first, ie divines, sharp, Impen. Yes crafted gear is behind on most sets but there are a few exceptions still. Most notable is Twice Born Star, Clever Alchemist, Julianos, Night Mothers and a few others.

If you have acess to a spreadsheet, use one, I could link one I made in Google sheets if you like.
  • BaneSoulreaver
    BaneSoulreaver
    Soul Shriven
    Quick question about enchanting.

Someone mentioned crafting on one character and breaking down on another. Does that mean you can negate the use of another player if you use two seperate characters on your own account?

Did I read that correctly, or is it necessary for another 'player' to craft/breakdown for the increased xp gain?
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Quick question about enchanting.

Someone mentioned crafting on one character and breaking down on another. Does that mean you can negate the use of another player if you use two seperate characters on your own account?

Did I read that correctly, or is it necessary for another 'player' to craft/breakdown for the increased xp gain?

Yes, you can use different characters on your own account. That's how I've leveled my alts in Enchanting. Just make glyphs (blue or purple preferred) on one character and put them in your bank. Then, decon them on a different character.

EDIT: Also, make the glyphs with the highest level potency you can make. Potency runes are fairly cheap at the lower levels from an Enchanter NPC.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on March 20, 2017 9:52PM
  • playfull_kitten
    playfull_kitten
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping someone can help me with alchemy. My certification quest remains undone as I can't even figure out how to make the guy accept the basic potion he asked me for. I keep throwing Columbine and Mountain Flower ingredients into the pot and I get a healing potion. But when I talk to the guy, he keeps telling me to make a potion.

Can anyone clue me in as to what I'm missing? Please help me.

This one likes to play.....
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm hoping someone can help me with alchemy. My certification quest remains undone as I can't even figure out how to make the guy accept the basic potion he asked me for. I keep throwing Columbine and Mountain Flower ingredients into the pot and I get a healing potion. But when I talk to the guy, he keeps telling me to make a potion.

Can anyone clue me in as to what I'm missing? Please help me.

He specifically wants a "Sip of Healing" as I recall, are you sure you're using the level 3 water and not the level 10 water as both are initially available to you?
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • playfull_kitten
    playfull_kitten
    ✭✭✭
    He specifically wants a "Sip of Healing" as I recall, are you sure you're using the level 3 water and not the level 10 water as both are initially available to you?

Maybe that's the problem. Thank you! I'm going to try again and let you know.
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One way to level enchanting, cos boy is it worth it is to find a player that does a lot of crafting, they will be knee deep in blue and purple runes, just get them to knock out 40 or 50 at max level and decon them, you'll be up to level 50 in 7 or 8 level chunks, that's what I do with my alts, also once you've done all the quests, four player dungeons, public dungeon group events and sky shards you'll have enough skill points to be a maxed out Crafter and a kick arse warrior B)
    Edited by Integral1900 on April 30, 2017 6:17AM
  • playfull_kitten
    playfull_kitten
    ✭✭✭
    Tevalaur wrote: »

You were absolutely right! Thank you. Tried it and it worked. Thanks so much! It was very frustrating.