Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

I need a laptop that can run this game!

Thessalia
Thessalia
✭✭
Ok my laptop is broken.....dead......no more life in it....R.I.P
It has been broken for 6 months and I can't wait anymore so I'm going to buy a new laptop. I'm not looking for a gaming laptop because it's out of my league.
So I'm basically looking for a regular laptop and not those expensive ones that you see everywhere.
So do you guys know any laptops that can run this game well?

Edited: Thank you all for you recommandations and I finally bought a laptop that runs eso well
Edited by Thessalia on March 25, 2017 5:44PM
  • Wrekkedd
    Wrekkedd
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's gunna be an....lolno
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be able to take basically any new laptop with AMD or NVIDIA graphics card and they should easily go above the minimum requirements of ESO.
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • Thealteregoroman
    Thealteregoroman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    giphy.gif
    ****Master Healer...****
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't get any from the thread:
    Not personally - but look up the requirements, print them out and take them to a computer store. The people there will probably be able to help the best.
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thessalia wrote: »
    It has been broken for 6 months and I can't wait anymore so I'm going to buy a new laptop. I'm not looking for a gaming laptop because it's out of my league.
    So I'm basically looking for a regular laptop and not those expensive ones that you see everywhere.

What's your budget?
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who plays games on a laptop?
    Lethal zergling
  • Lythandra
    Lythandra
    ✭✭✭
    I have a laptop with a 980m in it and it runs the game just fine at the highest settings fyi at 1920 x 1080.

Don't listen to the people who naysay a laptop. I have a Clevo, don't remember the model but it runs cool too.
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Me! My laptop is far superior to my PC for gaming. It's also like the one thing I splurged on this/last year, so it's more expensive than OP likely wants to spend.

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • Thessalia
    Thessalia
    ✭✭

What's your budget?
    Edited: $1000
    Edited by Thessalia on March 16, 2017 12:24PM
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaeysa wrote: »
    Me! My laptop is far superior to my PC for gaming.
    That doesn't speak well of your PC... as an IT guy I believe in the concept of a "gaming laptop" about as much as I do Santa Claus.

Lethal zergling
  • Lythandra
    Lythandra
    ✭✭✭
    As an IT Manager I would not hire you as you clearly do not know what you are talking about.
    Edited by Lythandra on March 15, 2017 5:30PM
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    ✭✭✭
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

What's your budget?

Will you be participating in PVP? Keep in mind, this is a lot more demanding on the hardware compared to PVE.

If so, I suggest to try to save up at least $800 or so, which would be enough to get a new laptop with quad core CPU and GTX 1050 or 1050Ti.

In the $500 range, the only option that will run this game with reasonable performance at 1600x900 or 1920x1080 would be a used older gaming laptop (try to find one with quad core CPU and GTX 965M or better graphics card).

If you don't mind playing PVE only at very low resolution and lowest settings, you might find a new or refurb laptop that will fit within your budget, but I would try to make sure it has full quad core CPU (i5-6300HQ, i7-5700HQ etc) not low voltage dual core (CPU model# ending in Y or U), and hopefully 940M or better graphics.
    as an IT guy I believe in the concept of a "gaming laptop" about as much as I do Santa Claus.

This is a rather outdated perspective. Modern laptops with mid-range and high end Pascal mobile GPUs have tremendous performance.

Desktop will always be a bit cheaper relative to performance, but there are many like me who already need a decent laptop for work or school projects. Instead of buying a separate gaming desktop and high end laptop, it's usually best to simply buy a single laptop with decent GPU.

Laptops with GTX 1060 start from $1k and handle ESO and other games nicely at 1080p. 1070 laptops start from $1400 and the performance is quite close to desktop 1070.
    Edited by IcyDeadPeople on March 16, 2017 3:30AM
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For 500 dollars your only option is a ps4 or xbox one.

Cheers!
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What's your budget?
    $500

Ouch. Good luck... It's tough to find a desktop that can play the game at max settings without significant framerate issues for $500, let alone a laptop... At $500, be prepared to play in potato mode. My budget was similar to yours when my laptop died, so I just went with a PS4.

• Thessalia
    Thessalia
    ✭✭

What's your budget?

Will you be participating in PVP? Keep in mind, this is a lot more demanding on the hardware compared to PVE.

If so, I suggest to try to save up at least $800 or so, which would be enough to get a new laptop with quad core CPU and GTX 1050 or 1050Ti.

In the $500 range, the only option that will run this game with reasonable performance at 1600x900 or 1920x1080 would be a used older gaming laptop (try to find one with quad core CPU and GTX 965 or better graphics card).

If you don't mind playing PVE only at very low resolution and lowest settings, you might find a new or refurb laptop that will fit within your budget, but I would try to make sure it has full quad core CPU (i5-6300HQ, i7-5700HQ etc) not low voltage dual core (CPU model# ending in Y or U), and hopefully 940M or better graphics.

I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thank you.
  • Wrekkedd
    Wrekkedd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lythandra wrote: »
    I have a laptop with a 980m in it and it runs the game just fine at the highest settings fyi at 1920 x 1080.

Don't listen to the people who naysay a laptop. I have a Clevo, don't remember the model but it runs cool too.

BUT you have a Clevo...a $500 budget will buy you a celeron at 1.2 ghz
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    $500

Sorry, but I think it will be hard to find a laprop that can run this game well with that.

I have an Asus gaming laptop that is about 4-5 years old. It runs the game fine but it cost quite a bit more.
    Beta tester November 2013
  • henrycupcakerwb17_ESO

I recommend MacBook / MacBook Pro ,or you should just buy an iMac and upgrade it with 24 GB ram, I play all games on ultra graphical options
  • ThyMorningGlory
    ThyMorningGlory
    ✭✭✭
    My Dell Insperion 15 plays the game fine. However my 12 maxed toons experience has been on Xbox so in comparison to Xbox the frames and stability would probably be better on just about anything lol.
    Butterflyy Wing
  • Stridig
    Stridig
    ✭✭✭✭✭

People who travel for business do. For example.
    Enemy to many
    Friend to all
  • K0rpeN
    K0rpeN
    ✭✭✭
    I am ok with gaming at laptop but you will really need very good cooling or your laptop is gonna be useless in a year or so.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did a search on amazon for gaming laptops under $500 and while there are some options, you will likely have to go with AMD processor (and boy do I personaly hate those) (I looked specifically for gaming, because regular laptops more often then not come with integrated video card and those won't run ANYTHING outside of something either very old, or productivity software, they also have particularly weak cooling - gaming laptops come with a bit of extra to compensate for dedicated video card etc running a bit hotter)

I found this though and it actualy looks decent, $509, so only 9 over your budget https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-i5-6200U-GeForce-Bluetooth/dp/B01LYIDNVH/

you will absolutely need extra cooling (cooling pads are actualy not that expensive and double as a lap desk) and will have to play with it plugged in more often then not. its also not top of the line by a long shot, but should run most things on at least medium.

there are some other options there as well. I mean... its not optimal. but its possible. its just won't last you all that long before you need to upgrade, or forget playing anything new on it.
    Edited by Linaleah on March 15, 2017 6:36PM
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaeysa wrote: »
    Me! My laptop is far superior to my PC for gaming.
    That doesn't speak well of your PC... as an IT guy I believe in the concept of a "gaming laptop" about as much as I do Santa Claus.

My wow guild affectionately calls my PC the Gravestone Toaster. It was $500 5 years ago. So most laptops are a step up. Went from playing on lowest settings with medium subsampling to playing on high only because ultra causes me nausea(player problem, not computer one there).

• Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I play on an old(by modern standards) potato laptop with Nvidia GeForce 630M and it runs the game on medium-ish settings just fine>.> It also has a fairly decent processor, 8 Gb RAM and an SSD though. Really though you don't need godmode op specs if you don't wanna play on all ultra settings.
  • GriMTriAd
    GriMTriAd
    ✭✭✭
    Oh god, the humanity...
    You poor, poor deprived people that think that gaming on a laptop is a "good" experience...

*rant on*

While you can "game" on most laptops, and there are companies that make "Gaming" Laptops they are either not very portable, or don't have enough battery life while gaming to actually be useful. You're not getting more than 2-3 hours out of even the nicest Razer's (https://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade-pro?src=pgm.94785200&utm_source=bingads&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=razerblade&utm_campaign=bingusbrandsystemsblade) when you're using that graphics card so I'm not really sure I'd call it a laptop when you're pretty much outlet bound anyway. If you want a crappy monitor (Either too small, poor color reproduction, or both) on an underpowered mislabeled mobile CPU with an underpowered mislabeled GPU that sucks down more power than my entire tower build and has 0 upgrade options then get a "Gaming" laptop.

So I'm going to offer some perspective here:
    I have an overclocked water cooled Intel 6700K running stable at 4.9Ghz. This isn't the same as the sometimes turbo boosted numbers you see on laptops. It's either running .4ghz (in idle) or at 4.9ghz. This is paired with 32GB of overclocked Ripjaw V memory. The hard drives are an old Samsung SSD for the storage drive, and a nice 256 GB Samsung 950 Pro PCIe x4 SSD for the OS and primary games. That PCIe x4 part is important as it runs 5x faster than modern SATA SSD's and 10x faster than any old SSD. This machines cost me about $1600 to build.

To get a laptop with a comparable hard drive you're starting at $2k and you still only get a mobile CPU which is about half the speed of my desktop. The Razer posted above has a 6700HQ which normally runs at 2.6 Ghz and occasionally runs at 3.5. That's a $3k laptop, one of the nicest gaming laptops you can buy, and it's still only a facsimile of what my tower can do at twice the cost.

They don't make a laptop as nice as my tower for any amount of money. Even they did, to use it as a laptop means you're hunched over a small monitor sitting at a desk/table using an undersized keyboard and squinting at tiny pixels. So no, to me "Gaming Laptops" don't exist. "Gaming" laptops do, but those quotes are because while they can play games on them, why would you? Some people have reasonable answers to that, usually because they: travel constantly, don't have the room, and/or are lacking expertise to build a proper tower. However, I'm not such an elitist that I won't give the advice actually asked for.

*rant off, real advice after here*

Here's some advice for getting a good laptop cheap:
    You should consider upping your budget just a bit, you really do want something more modern than a 9XX series NVidia GPU as those ones aren't comparable to their desktop counterparts. The 10XX series are pretty similar so a 1050 laptop and 1050 desktop will perform about the same. Currently you're look at about $650 for the cheapest 1050's and should expect $750 for a more reasonable one. Here are some examples I found with a quick search:

This one is modern but well outside of your budget. It is an example of the $750 variety:
    https://slickdeals.net/f/9849488-new-dell-inspiron-15-7467-gaming-15-6-1080p-tn-i5-7300hq-8gb-ddr4-256gb-ssd-gtx-1050-ti-wifi-ac-win10h-750-with-f-s?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

I was trying to find something a bit closer to your budget and saw a couple of machines that were recently on sale and I've linked one so you know what to watch for:
    https://slickdeals.net/f/9701008-hp-pavilion-15t-15-6-laptop-i5-7300hq-8gb-ddr4-1080p-1tb-hdd-gtx-1050-650-free-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo

In general, just watch sites like slickdeals.net, you want at least an NVidia 1050 (I hate NVidia, but for laptops AMD doesn't compare). I did a simple search using the terms: Laptop Nvidia 1050 and it came up with the two above. Eventually you'll get something in your price range, but expect to spend about $650 for a good deal on something decent right now. Also, read reviews so you don't get stuck with something horrible which is REALLY easy to do in your price range.

Hope that helps;
    _WAter_

• IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you are running games or any demanding application without AC adapter plugged in, you are doing it wrong.
  • ZOS_JohanaB
    ZOS_JohanaB
    ✭✭✭✭
    This thread has been moved to Players Helping Players
    Staff Post
  • Thessalia
    Thessalia
    ✭✭
    Actually my budget is $1000 and not $500 I don't know why I said $500
    Edited by Thessalia on March 16, 2017 5:25PM