Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

Please stop calling things in this game "cancer"

• AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is so toxic, I hope I'm not triggered.
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
    Options
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is diarreah acceptable to you? Because I have clients who are incontinent and their entire quality of life is ruined by it. Or how about people who suffer with chrones disease?

Your argument can be applied againt you so its not a very good argument.

Cancer is serious yes - but its an adequate metaphor at times. Just like "verbal diahrrea" is an appropriate metaphor at times.

People need to chill out and understand the meaning of context.
    Edited by lagrue on March 15, 2017 2:32PM
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
    Options
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A quick analogy from my perspective: in accounting (European one, IFRS standards) we always give priority to matter before form.

okay...
    "The forbidden word of this thread" is used so commonly so everybody understand its meaning when used in case to describe bad design in the game.

you mean, it's used simply for better understanding ?
    Proc sets are still a big cancer even after the crit nerf.

Or...

Proc sets are still very annoying even after the crit nerf
    Proc sets are still too common even after the crit nerf
    Proc sets are still too powerful even after the crit nerf
    Proc sets are still bad even after the crit nerf
    Proc sets are still bad design even after the crit nerf
    Proc sets are still unbalanced even after the crit nerf

Which of the above bolded words are so elitist that you need to replace them with the word "cancer" to be understood by the majority ?

I'm sorry but in my experience, "cancer" in this game is used for the offensive, agressive and "trash-talking" components of the word. It makes people feel like they're strong and cool badasses.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on March 15, 2017 2:33PM
    Options
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what happened to the old terms "Fail" and "Epic Fail", to be honest cancer is something that should not be taken lightly and really has no place in a video game, if you had a family member go through cancer and pass on, you might not look at the use of the word cancer as inappropriate in a game. Any real life serious or life threating disorders should be kept out of the gaming lexicon.

Fail does not describe what the user intends. Bad does not describe what the user intends. They are using cancer directly how it is meant to be used by its definition. They could use "plague" or something like that, but just random words like "bad, fail, or diarrhea" is pretending that the intention of the use of the word is to shock or offend as a metaphore when they really are using it in its meaning.
    Edited by technohic on March 15, 2017 2:34PM
    Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    e31.jpg
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Options
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unlike derogatory slang, cancer has long had a neutral and perfectly acceptable dictionary definition that fits nicely with the context it's used when discussing the game.

No need to bring in the word police.

can·cer
    ˈkansər
    noun
    the disease caused by an uncontrolled division of abnormal cells in a part of the body.
    "he's got cancer"
    a malignant growth or tumor resulting from the division of abnormal cells.
    plural noun: cancers
    "most skin cancers are curable"
    synonyms: malignant growth, cancerous growth, tumor, malignancy; More
    a practice or phenomenon perceived to be evil or destructive and hard to contain or eradicate.
    "racism is a cancer sweeping across Europe"

synonyms: evil, blight, scourge, poison, canker, plague; archaic pestilence
    "the cancer of slavery spread across the continent"
    Edited by Joy_Division on March 15, 2017 2:38PM
    Options
  • Shad0wfire99
    Shad0wfire99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being offended by everything is cancer.

XBox NA
    Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see what you did there. You're a clever one.
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Options
  • bunnydaisuki
    bunnydaisuki
    ✭✭✭

topkek
    Please don't feed the goat, kthxbai.
    Options
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "Diarrhea kills 2,195 children every day—more than AIDS, malaria, and measels combined.

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/global/diarrhea-burden.html
    Edited by Everstorm on March 15, 2017 2:44PM
    Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everstorm wrote: »
    "Diarrhea kills 2,195 children every day—more than AIDS, malaria, and measles combined"

://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/global/diarrhea-burden.html

Bloody heck, there goes my new word. I'll just go back to being British and say everything is a load of toss.
    Options
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is so toxic, I hope I'm not triggered.
    76095604.jpg
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
    Options
  • templesus
    templesus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'll stop using the word cancer as soon as zenimax bans people for using racial slurs. People go around throwing the N word about like racists, you got me *** up thinking I'll let them do that and stop using the word cancer.
    Options
  • Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What? I've had cancer and I honestly could care less if someone uses it as an insult, or to describe an in-game thing.

Besides, it has been used for so long now that it's not going away nor will it be replaced with another word.

@PelinalWhitestrake Damn, bruh-bruh. I had no idea you are a survivor of something as serious as cancer. Thank God you're alive and well to talk about it today. I have a whole new liking and perspective of you now, comrade. As is I already liked you from the jump, but now you're cool peoples in my opinion. You sir may join those who I truly appreciate like @Rohamad_Ali @Vaoh and a few others.
    Edited by Ch4mpTW on March 15, 2017 2:45PM
    Options
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    How about a word filter, client side that simply *'s out anything on your chosen list?

Would be fairly easy to implement and could operate strictly client side, having zero impact on server performance

It's that or turn off (zone) chat.

It doesn't lessen what anyone has been through, but it also doesn't prevent reasonable, contextual use of phrasing, either.

Gonna throw out an estimate here and say that ~50% or IRL sucks for various reasons, but that won't stop people from describing it as they choose, nor will it stop other people from being offended (rightfully or otherwise) by those same descriptions.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
    Options
  • Balamoor
    Balamoor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll just repeat what I said last time this was brought up

Cancer is just what the hipsters say currently, many years ago when I was in my twenties and Dinosaurs roamed the Earth Hipsters use to say "cheap" Now everything is Cancerous.

It will pass and they will latch on to another equally ridiculous term, and it is beneficial...when someone uses it , it's like a giant neon sign that says "I'm part of the trendkids crowd."
    templesus wrote: »
    I'll stop using the word cancer as soon as zenimax bans people for using racial slurs. People go around throwing the N word about like racists, you got me *** up thinking I'll let them do that and stop using the word cancer.

Mmmmm yeah I see that you are a console gamer..that is more of a console thing than a Zenimax thing, but (at least as far as XB1 goes) report is your friend, MS is insta banning that stuff, it has no place anywhere.
    Edited by Balamoor on March 15, 2017 2:53PM
    Options
  • colig
    colig
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes! It irks me that this community uses the word 'cancer' so freely and casually. I just choose not to use it myself.
    Options
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Diarrhea kills 2,195 children every day—more than AIDS, malaria, and measels combined.

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/global/diarrhea-burden.html

For your information, diarrhea is only lethal if people don't have access to hygiene and clean water. If you have access to clean water (that is only HALF of the world population, yes, you read me correctly, HALF of all humanbeings), you don't die of diarrhea.
    Which means, if you have a everything that is required to play ESO (computer, electricity and internet access) you do not die of diarrhea.
    In other words, you have zero chance to meet anyone affected by severe or lethal diarrhea in ESO. But your chance of communicating with someone who has or has had cancer or aids is very high.

Options
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "Diarrhea kills 2,195 children every day—more than AIDS, malaria, and measles combined"
    Touché. I also highly doubt that most people can even spell it, either the Oxford or Websters way, so the suggestion is kind of dead-on-arrival.

I don't really expect anyone to change the way they speak, especially those who have been using the term for years.

I'm mostly addressing those who use the word thoughtlessly, parroting it because they've seen others use it. Just asking for a bit more thought before throwing out loaded language.
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    ✭✭✭
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Options
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep it ESO relevant.

This is lame. - This is daedra.

He's a little rascal. - That little skeever.

You $%&*%#@%#$! - You slimy wamasu!
    (Edit: Did someone really use that as a profile name? lol)

This is c**cer. - This is draugr.

Btw - someone used the h word in this thread - eeeek.
    Btw - I guess some of you don't even know what the h word is.

So draugr.

Btw - the first time I heard someone getting "triggered" I thought they got shot and mortally wounded. Like Don Corleone would say - "Vinny - trigger that guy."

Wish you all khajiiti travels in Tamriel.
    Edited by Rouven on March 15, 2017 3:13PM
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
    Options
  • rotaugen454
    rotaugen454
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely any word will offend someone. We'll end up with a very limited 1984 "Newspeak" vocabulary so we don't offend anyone.
    "Get off my lawn!"
    Options
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd prefer if cancer, the disease, changed its name to something else so we can keep using cancer to describe cancerous things in game; that are truly cancerous, like sorcerers.
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
    Options
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Cancer" is too good of word for proc sets and the meta.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
    Options
  • PrinceBoru
    PrinceBoru
    ✭✭✭✭
    Political correctness has been a cancer on the English language for decades.
    It ain't easy being green.
    Options
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely any word will offend someone. We'll end up with a very limited 1984 "Newspeak" vocabulary so we don't offend anyone.

Doesn't have to go that far. Speaking normally, with words that have a meaning, respecting that meaning, not parroting some vocabulary without any knowledge "just because everyone else uses it" and keeping in mind that not everyone who you speak to in an MMO is the same age, generation, culture, background and country as you can already go a looong way.

Options
  • TheStealthDude
    TheStealthDude
    ✭✭✭✭
    The word "Cancer" has multiple definitions, not all of which relate to illness. If you are being offended because a word is being used in a correct context (even if overused), then perhaps it's you who needs to reexamine yourself.
    Options
  • Shad0wfire99
    Shad0wfire99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, when did someone being offended by something start being anyone's problem but their own?

XBox NA
    Options
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Since we are all here..

Can we stop using the words "GTFO" and "Shut Up" in zone chat.

thank you

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

Options
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I cannot recall anytime in my entire 40+ years on Earth when "cancer" was used in this secondary meaning of, "Something I don't like." It seems to be exclusively an ESO (or video game thing) in general. Mostly used for shock value in the hopes that the devs will pay more attention if players use the most disturbing, offensive words possible. It reminds me of those people who point to the dictionary definition of Anti-Semitic and say, "Lots of non-Jewish people are of Semitic origin." Fine. But that is not how the word is used in real life and they know it.

Should people be banned for using "cancer" to describe builds or skills or tactics they do not like? No. But there is such a thing as decency and common courtesy. So I will continue to use less charged words, still get my meaning across just fine, and hope that others follow my example. Even if 90% of players are OK with word and 10% find it upsetting or reminds them of a lost loved one or some other tragedy, I see no reason to upset that 10% unnecessarily. Especially when there are equally effective words to describe builds and skills in PvP that ruin balance.
    Options
This discussion has been closed.