Maintenance for the week of July 1:
• NA megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why does it surprise people when I tell them I have not done the main quest line?

Jemcrystal
Jemcrystal
✭✭✭✭✭
I hate questing. Also, is housing attached to the main quest line? As in those of us who have not done the main quest cannot buy a home with in game coin?
  • MAEK
    MAEK
    ✭✭✭✭
    Housing has nothing to do with the main questline.

Btw, you do know that you're missing out on the soul magic skill line, and the passive that lets you revive for free once an hour.
    Options
  • LadyLavina
    LadyLavina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't surprise me at all, I've skipped it initially with characters that I just wanted to be max lvl as fast as possible. It gives me something to do /w them in end-game.
    PC - NA @LadyLavina 1800+ CP PvP Tank and PvP Healer
    Options
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Naaa, you're only missing out on a significant amount of skill points and a whole skill line, that's all ...
    shades.gif
    Edited by SirAndy on March 13, 2017 8:08PM
    Options
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    While I love questing, I've done the main quest line only once. You're not missing anything, except for the soul magic world skill line.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
      Options
    • Katahdin
      Katahdin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      So?

I haven't done it on 5 or 6 of my characters either
      Beta tester November 2013
      Options
    • vyndral13preub18_ESO
      vyndral13preub18_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      I did it with my first. The other 7, not so much.
      Options
    • Prof_Bawbag
      Prof_Bawbag
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Don't think i use the soul skill line on any character. As for the free revive, there's *** loads of soul gems in the game.
      Options
    • Argawarga
      Argawarga
      ✭✭✭✭
      It might surprise people because ESO has one of the best solo questing experiences in MMOs currently. It explores a lot of the lore and locations that Elder Scrolls geeks like myself have only read about until now. Questing is definitely what drew me and my friends to the game initially. That said, if you're not really into questing then there's still plenty to keep you entertained.

Also, aside from leveling the Soul Magic skill line there isn't much benefit in completing the main story line.
      Options
    • theher0not
      theher0not
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      If you don't do it then you will miss out on an entire skill line that gives you a free ress every hour and an easier and cheaper way to gain soul stones. you also miss multiple skill points.

Also the final quest is awesome, if nothing else it is worth doing the main quest series for that.
      Edited by theher0not on March 13, 2017 8:36PM
      Options
    • srfrogg23
      srfrogg23
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Jemcrystal wrote: »
      I hate questing. Also, is housing attached to the main quest line? As in those of us who have not done the main quest cannot buy a home with in game coin?

Skill points. Lots of practically free skill points is the reason to do the main quest line for the non-questing types.

There's also a crapload of achievements that go along with that. I think many of those achievements unlock armor dyes for your character.

It also rewards a lot of money and experience.

I think it's also the only way to unlock the Cold Harbor zone. It really is a wonderful place, with the exception of all the nasty beasties and psychotic cultists.

The housing isn't tied to the main quest line as far as I know.

It might be worthwhile to at least knock out the main quest line, even though you're not a fan of questing. It's basically a lot of easy exp, money, and skill points.
      Options
    • Jeremy
      Jeremy
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Jemcrystal wrote: »

Housing might be separated from the main quest line. But there are a lot of achievements that you unlock via questing that are required to buy certain housing. And some of them require a lot of questing.
      Options
    • Hallothiel
      Hallothiel
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Did all the quests (main, guilds, Cadwells etc) with great glee on my first character. Went through everything.

2nd & 3rd - played through but got a teeny bit bored.

4th - got to lvl 50 on non main quests alone.

5th - just done TG now DB.

Other chars? Faction questlines only at present. And some pvp.

Some questlines I don't mind repeating. Others I would love to avoid if at all possible. Some I actively dislike. (Most of the ones in Malabal Tor. I have an issue with Bosmer. )

But the joy of 1T is that it doesn't really matter if you dont do the quests as you had to before. Is such a relief.

(Altho if there was a way to avoid the pointless-to-repeat-if-done-once explanatory walk through Coldharbour with the prophet I would be soooo happy. Would even forgo the skyshard not to have to do it. Again. Ever.)
      Edited by Hallothiel on March 13, 2017 8:58PM
      Options
    • Mojmir
      Mojmir
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Won't do main quest again, lyris too annoying.
      Options
    • Tandor
      Tandor
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Hallothiel wrote: »
      (Altho if there was a way to avoid the pointless-to-repeat-if-done-once explanatory walk through Coldharbour with the prophet I would be soooo happy. Would even forgo the skyshard not to have to do it. Again. Ever.)

This.

Just this and nothing else!
      Options
    • Argawarga
      Argawarga
      ✭✭✭✭
      ... if there was a way to avoid the pointless-to-repeat-if-done-once explanatory walk through Coldharbour with the prophet I would be soooo happy. Would even forgo the skyshard not to have to do it. Again. Ever.

"Enter my mind, Vestige..."

"NOOOOOOoooooo"

noooo.gif~c200

Options
    • akl77
      akl77
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I hate questing too, don't like the running around waiting for NPCs story part. But something's gotta be done, for the achievements and certain rewards.
      I'm still surprised last week after finishing Craglorn main quest line, I got a PS4 trophy and indicated only 3% of the people have done it!
      Pc na
      Options
    • ADarklore
      ADarklore
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Most of the Main Quests are fairly short, it's the ones that take you into Coldharbour that is the longest. As far as needing to do Main Quests to unlock Coldharbour, if you 'wayshrine' to a friend/guildmate in Coldharbour you can access ANY zone in ESO. Of course as I'm on PC, I have the Faster Travel add-on which allows me to teleport to guildmates all across Tamriel.
      CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
      Options
    • Bouldercleave
      Bouldercleave
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      After the amount of time that the game has been out, you should have accidentally done the main quest line by now...
      Options
    • Jemcrystal
      Jemcrystal
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I have never accidentally spoken to an npc before. I have galloped past them on my fully leveled speedy mount uncountable times!
      Options
    • ColoursYouHave
      ColoursYouHave
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      SirAndy wrote: »
      Naaa, you're only missing out on a significant amount of skill points and a whole skill line, that's all ...
      shades.gif

Calling it a "whole" skill line is quite generous.
      Options
    • Tannus15
      Tannus15
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      Bunch of free skill points for some very easy quests. Worth doing imho.
      Options
    • phairdon
      phairdon
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Housing does tie in with quests, most houses state which quest you are required to complete. Unsure whether any of the quests are from the main story.
      Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
      Options
    • disintegr8
      disintegr8
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      I have done the main quest, as well as the Fighters/Mages Guilds quest line, on most of my characters. Only one of them has completed Cadwells silver and gold, with only a handful of quests to go before she can get her third alliance Hero achievement.

As others have said, skill points are the main benefit of doing the main story line and owning a manor does require your character to have attained the alliance hero achievement for that zone.
      Australian on PS4 NA server.
      Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
      Options
    • hmsdragonfly
      hmsdragonfly
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Some questlines I don't mind repeating. Others I would love to avoid if at all possible. Some I actively dislike. (Most of the ones in Malabal Tor. I have an issue with Bosmer. )

How dare you...
      Aldmeri Dominion Loyalist. For the Queen!
      Options
    • Jemcrystal
      Jemcrystal
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      phairdon wrote: »
      Housing does tie in with quests, most houses state which quest you are required to complete. Unsure whether any of the quests are from the main story.

Yes. It seems to buy homes NOT WITH THE CASH SHOP they are locked behind quest walls not just game coin.
      Options
    • emma666
      emma666
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Argawarga wrote: »
      ... if there was a way to avoid the pointless-to-repeat-if-done-once explanatory walk through Coldharbour with the prophet I would be soooo happy. Would even forgo the skyshard not to have to do it. Again. Ever.

"Enter my mind, Vestige..."

"NOOOOOOoooooo"

noooo.gif~c200

Lol'd way too hard at this...
      Nymeria - Ebonheart - Grand Overlady - Imperial Templar - Havoc

I wish you good fortune in the wars to come.
      Options
    • Sneaky-Snurr
      Sneaky-Snurr
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!? OP R U SERUS!??!?!
      The Order of the Shadows: Nightmare
        EP CP810 Nightblade
        AD CP810 Templar
        AD CP810 Dragon Knight
        AD Lvl 25 Sorceror
        DC Lvl 23 Nightblade
      {PC•NA•no-CP Ravenwatch}

Shadow hide you. -Unknown
      There is no clean fight in a war. -Shun Izaki
      Options
    • Jemcrystal
      Jemcrystal
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I'm here for the open world map not to be some npc's beech.
      Options
    • BRogueNZ
      BRogueNZ
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      As much as it seems wrong that I was able to, I'm starting silver at lvl25 , popped into cold harbour at 20, left with a heap of skill points and Soul Assault. I'm not surprised you haven't done it, just suggesting its worth it doing despite it being rather long winded.

Edited by BRogueNZ on March 14, 2017 3:44PM
      Options
    • Hallothiel
      Hallothiel
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭

How dare you...

I'm British and the faux cockney accents drive me insane. Have said elsewhere but far worse & not so entertaining as the fabulous D.i.ck van D.y.ke.

And they are too tiny.

And the Green Pact thing.

So, yes, I dare..... :p
      Options