The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Skill points reset - why so pricy ?! most MMO's have it free.

taiji2078
taiji2078
✭✭✭
Hello,

I have a "just sitting" Nightblade that I use for crafting in all professions. It's main role was pvp and some random dungeons as dd. This evening I wanted to try a tank spec ... but well ... 20.000+ gold to spend just to try a tank. SInce I cannot play much, I do not have that gold to just throw away on a simple "try".

I know you want to sell Crowns for the respec scrolls ... but seriously ... I just teleported back when I saw that I need to spend so much just to try a new spec.

... and don't get me wrong ... I'm ESO+ for the silly bag, I just spent 20.000+ crowns for a nice "little" useless house with some furniture and assistants in it, mostly because I want to support you guys, so you carry on with this game that I like :)
But to spend real money (crowns) or a HUGE amount of gold for a game mechanic that is (almost or just) free in most MMO's is just pickpocketing your customers :))

I will not start naming other games, you can google them. The most famous is free. Why yours is so pricy ??? The server economical reason you had 2 years ago to keep this price up isn't valid anymore. The game evolved and I like it as it is now. Please align yourself to all other MMO's and at least give us the liberty to play the game as we like. I'm already paying 1000+ gold for repairs in daily dungeons ... Should I just leave the instance when I see a low level ? No. I'm staying to help, even if this is going to cost me big.

I will not reply here, since I barely have time to play ... but this was too important so I decided to sacrifice some gameplay time to ask you to lower the prices on respecs.
Feel free to flame, correct my errors, whatever you like to keep this thread up.

Thank you for reading.

Sorry for my bad english: you already know it's not my mother language.
Magicka Pet High Elf Sorcerer , Magicka High Elf Nightblade, Magicka High Elf Templar, Imperial Warden Tank
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a gold sink. That's the only reason. Any MMO needs multiple gold sinks, otherwise the economy goes nuts and newer players can't ever afford to buy anything from other players, because inflation just keeps on going and they can never catch up with the players who have just been accumulating gold over time.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Mashille
    Mashille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So they can make people buy it for crowns and make that CASH MONEY!

House Baratheon: 'Ours Is The Fury'
  • erickhwk
    erickhwk
    ✭✭
    Respec only the morphs. It's a way cheaper.
  • woe
    woe
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are paying over 1k gold for a daily dungeon then you are dying until your gear is basically broken. The skill resets are based on something like 100 gold per skill point. If you used literally every single point you have then it will be more expensive. If you can't play much and don't have gold that is the reason you can buy a skill reset for convenience.
    uwu
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mashille wrote: »
    So they can make people buy it for crowns and make that CASH MONEY!
    This is definitely not the reason. If it was then it wouldn't have cost gold to respec back before the crown store even existed. In fact, IIRC the gold cost of a respec is lower today than it was at launch.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Mashille
    Mashille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @UrQuan

I know, I know, I'm only jesting.

It's fun to make jokes about ZOS being greedy gobblers.
    House Baratheon: 'Ours Is The Fury'
  • Triddle
    Triddle
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's pretty reasonable. It's a valuable service, and something that I think shouldn't be taken too lightly. The cost makes you carefully consider your builds rather than just whacking this here and that there.
  • CaptainVenom
    CaptainVenom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "most MMO's have it free."? Correction: Most MMO's have it as a cash service only.
    🌈 Ride with Pride 🌈Magicka/Damage Necromancer - PC - NA - DC
  • AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    taiji2078 wrote: »
    but well ... 20.000+ gold to spend just to try a tank. SInce I cannot play much, I do not have that gold to just throw away on a simple "try".

I understand where you're coming from brother. 20,000g can seem to be a hefty amount to a person that doesn't play much.

However, there has to be a cost, and the 'decision pain' to placing skill points is part of what makes a game appealing to many, since fixing mistakes can be costly, it makes your character progression more permanent. Trying builds is something you should do on a new char if you want to go cheap. Yes, it sucks having to level them, but what also sucks is having to shell out for a respec, and then another respec to fix things if your experiment is a failure.

I'd suggest looking for ways to make cash quickly with minimal time investment. I recently made a new character and racked up 50k gold in about a week, mostly from theft, and extremely lazily done I might add.
    PC-NA Goat
  • XDragonDoomX
    XDragonDoomX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    not sure how many SP's you have for it to cost 20k.
    I recently respec'd & it cost 16050 - for 300+ something SP's.
    If it did cost 20k - then you appear to be playing a lot more than you've said...:)
    "Forums are like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea.
    massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of
    mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it. ”

(with apologies to Eugene H. Spafford, aka Spaf)

I have the power to please one person per day. Today is not your day.
    Tomorrow... Tomorrow does not look good either.

82. Victory laps after killing the dragon with my 1d2 bow is considered in poor taste.
    83. My gnome does not like big butts and he cannot lie.
    84. Not allowed to talk my fellow inquisitors into buying a 220lb pull crossbow.
    85. Not allowed to talk my fellow inquisitors into buying an industrial strength flamethrower.
    86. Not allowed to make a superhero with a 99% chance of dodging even after the -10 penalty for a successful called shot.
    87. There is no such thing as a dwarven katana.
    88. My bard does not get a bonus to perform if she is obviously not wearing anything under her tabard.
    89. The elf's name is not Legolam.
    ** Mr Glenn's Forbidden activities list**

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    It's a gold sink. That's the only reason. Any MMO needs multiple gold sinks, otherwise the economy goes nuts and newer players can't ever afford to buy anything from other players, because inflation just keeps on going and they can never catch up with the players who have just been accumulating gold over time.

And there is not much for gold sinks, well, prior to housing. Armor repair is absurdly cheap.

Besides, really takes a lot spend 20k respecing skills. @taiji2078 could not have enough skill points to have respecing skills cost 20k That is 400 skill points and there is not that much in the game. Respecing atribute points would not be needed since, well, none of my tanks atribute points go into health. All into stam or magika depending on the build for that tank which makes it easier to do some dps in cases I need to.

Lets see. Even if he is including respecing atribute points (3200) that leaves 16800 gold remaining so why would OP have 336 skill points spent on a character he only uses for crafting. I do not have that near that many points spend on my main crafter (all 6 crafts full) and I play that character in heals and dps.

To answer OPs question. All games I have played where respecing if free one has to respec to play a different role. In ESO that is not required and with the skill points you seem to have it is not required for sure. Only thing that would differ between roles is CP and even then it is not required for most content. 4 man dungeons a dps can easily tank in anything for most fights.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have never heard of any game having a free respec besides GW2, not sure what games you been playing that do
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never heard of any game having a free respec besides GW2, not sure what games you been playing that do

He is not going to reply. He did not want to be part of his conversation.
  • taiji2078
    taiji2078
    ✭✭✭
    You support my work by posting replies here. SO THANK YOU ALL !!! :smile:

The system sent me an e-mail to check the messages here ... so here I am ... spending more time for this issue (this as a proof that I'm really serious about it).

It was a full respec in 20k - (skills for about 12k, attributes for 3k and CP's for 3k).
    I have points invested in everything ... guilds, war, world including vampire and legerdemain, full class trees, ALL professions ... and not enough left for 1h+shield and 2h, since I have healing, destro, bow, 2h full :)) I know it's a mess. Only resetting the morphs isn't providing me enough points ... it is actually what I did in the end only to be able to add more points in one profession that I needed finish leveling these days.

I played this game much more 2 years ago, a bit less one year ago, but then I had to abandon it, due to personal life issues.
    When I left the game, a respec was nothing compared to what it costs today.

So here we go ... I took the top MMO's at the beginning of 2017 (http://www.gamesradar.com/best-mmorpg/) and checked each of them on forums and official pages. It took me more than one hour. I'm not doing this for you dear players, but actually for the mods to see and eventually report it to the devs. I didn't post the links, to avoid overloading my already huge post. You can manually search each name of the game followed by the word "respec". You will get my results below :

World of Warcraft - free - this game I was talking about - I'm sure you knew it :smile:

Black Desert Online - cost (fixed price) 900 coins for a full respec (fixed price). 1 respec free at level 45, then 1 skill respec free / week

Albion Online - no respec needed

Allods Online - free respec

Defiance - free at start, pay more each time you respec (based on how many times you do it) - very cheap anyway - reported by players on their forums

WildStar - same as Defiance : You can respec AMP points simply by clicking on the “Buy full Amp reset” button in the bottom left corner of the AMP screen. The more AMP points you spend, the more respec costs. At level 15, you’ll get possibility to create and save the second ability set with new AMP point choices.

The Secret World - free

Star Conflict - - 1 Token . In order to be able to respec your character, you must first have a Retraining Token, or have been granted a free respec by the developers. Retraining Tokens can either be purchased from the in-game Zen Market under the Services category, or they can be purchased on your character sheet in the Powers, Feats, and Boons tabs in the lower left corner of their respective window.

Skyforge - unlimited skill points. no need to respec

Marvel Heroes - free with a quest or an item drop of a retcon potion. can be also purchased if too lazy to kill a mob.

Lord of the Rings Online: apparently the only similar or even one worse than TESO.
    It is a three part calculation:
    1) Current level of the character
    2) Current number of specialization points
    3) Is the first respec

Each time a value goes up in category 1, 2 or 3 the cost goes up. You paid 88 silvers on your level 28 Minstrel for first respec. Do it again at level 28, it will cost you more.

Star Trek Online - free at start, then fixed price: respec tokens can be purchased either for 20,000 Refined dilithium icon.png or from the C-Store.

Archeage - almost free - very cheap price reported by players

Blade and Soul - free - you cannot do it while in combat.

Tera - almost free - the price is the gold reward for completing a regular quest.

Aion - respec doesn't exist. As you level skills become available, you buy the the skill for your character. You don't get unlimited skills, you have a tree that grows with your level and character. example level 5 skills become available so you buy the skill book for your char. then later on at 9 and so on.

Runescape - free respec when you finish the story line.

DC Universe Online - no need to, as reported by players: unlimited points ... but there's the option, as I would like to see it in TESO also : "You need 500 in game cash to respec
    The re-spec machine gets more expensive (500, 650, …) each time you use it, but it resets to 500 if you wait 24 hours.
    Don’t forget that you can earn additional skill points by completing feats. 100 feat points for a skill point. So, maybe you don’t have to respec just earn additional skill points."

Neverwinter - free at level 60, one time, after it is very cheap. You should get a free respec at max level, and there's absolutely no reason to do it until then. Once there, acquiring the currency to purchase a respec is not burdensome.

EVE Online - NO respec :)) you sell your char if you don't want it anymore :smiley:

Rift - very cheap - It's really cheap to reset your souls. There is a requirement though, you have to unlock the souls by doing quests for them. Buying roles is another option. It allows you to setup different soul sets for a higher price.

Star Wars: The Old Republic - free - just press a button like in WoW

Guild Wars 2 - NO respec. You cannot reset hero points

Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn - fixed price - cheap as a regular quest reward players reported : There's an item you can buy from the grand company vendor for 250 GC seals. Keeper's Hymn.

My conclusion: I repeat, lower the freakin' respec prices !! :smile:

I leave you guys to compare and decide. THE ONLY GREEDY company here is Zenimax, with the HIGHEST PRICES in the entire MMO's industry, using as an official excuse the economy of the servers ... BS IMO. If their economy lies on skills respecs ... lol ... clearly it's a lie. They just want to make more money from that 700 crowns scroll. No, I will not buy it.

One hour of research completed ... I didn't get the chance to play this evening, but I hope it was for a good cause ... this is why I don't want to reply here on forums.

Thanks again.

BTW, to support me even more, DO NOT BUY the respec scroll.

Best wishes ... and please stop using my name here :))))) I will receive again an automated e-mail :P
    Edited by taiji2078 on March 5, 2017 9:15PM
    Magicka Pet High Elf Sorcerer , Magicka High Elf Nightblade, Magicka High Elf Templar, Imperial Warden Tank
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have points invested in everything ...

Sounds to me like you've got points invested in a "mess".
    The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could've cut the total cost to <10k if you would've respeced morphs instead of a full skill respect.
    I think I usually pay 2-3k to respect morphs.
  • Gorgoneus
    Gorgoneus
    ✭✭✭
    ZoS just stocked in "wilde 90" (1990-2000) with most game features and realisations. So playing TESO Its like play L2 again or use steam engine for your car or use quicksilver as stomach medicine. They should make some banner like :"attention -play this game on your own risk"=). I gave this game some big credit when preordered it, but now I getting more and more frustraited by all this *what the hell!?* they doing.
  • taiji2078
    taiji2078
    ✭✭✭
    Two years ago, I used to respec from time to time, paying like 300-400 gold for a respec. It was fine ... and now 10k+ ... i was like :o:smile: ... and I'm just returning to TESO from WoW after gettin' bored with Legion. So ... after free respecs in WoW, coming here to pay all my gold for 1 respec I was :open_mouth::confused:

Seriously Zenimax ...
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    World of Warcraft - free - this game I was talking about - I'm sure you knew it :smile:

This may shock you, but a fair number of people have never actually played WoW. I mean, I haven't. I played Warcraft 2 and 3, along with their expansions, but I never actually played WoW.

I can't speak to all of these, but a few of them are flat out wrong.
    The Secret World - free

The correct statement would be, unavailable. TSW does not have a respec system, or at least it didn't back when I played. I'd be a little surprised if one was added because XP gains in that game were (effectively) unlimited. You could only stockpile to a specific threshold, but you could keep collecting AP and SP until you filled out your wheels and maxed your skill lines.
    Star Trek Online - free at start, then fixed price: respec tokens can be purchased either for 20,000 Refined dilithium icon.png or from the C-Store.

While "technically" correct, this one is seriously misleading. Dilithium is a grind currency you can accrue, and then sell to other players in exchange for Zen (the cash shop currency). So, while it is technically possible to respec in that game without spending your money, Cryptic gets paid either way.

Also, you collect respec tokens if you're a subscriber, at varying subscription milestones and when you rank up. But this is unavailable for silver players.

EDIT: I should also add, 20k is, at a minimum, 2.5 days worth of grinding... unless you crack open your wallet, and cough up some cash.
    THE ONLY GREEDY company here is Zenimax, with the HIGHEST PRICES in the entire MMO's industry...

You just listed several games that do not allow respecs at all, unless you cough up cash, and in a couple cases (that I'm aware of) they've made serious changes to how some skills functioned, and then required players to shoulder the cost of rearranging their skills.

So, ZOS is greedy by requiring you to run a couple hours worth of content in order to respec? And yes, 20k is not a lot, if you're vendoring your drops. If you're scrapping everything, that's your mistake. If you were low level, I could say, "yeah, 20k is a lot of money for you," but by the time you've hit CR160, (which you've done if your skill respecs are in the 12k range), that should be either pocket change or something you can scrounge up in an afternoon of play.

Also, the cost of your respec scales to your spent skill points, so if you're complaining about the cost, a large part of that falls on your shoulders for filling out skill lines you're not even using.
    Edited by starkerealm on March 5, 2017 9:42PM
  • taiji2078
    taiji2078
    ✭✭✭
    You could've cut the total cost to <10k if you would've respeced morphs instead of a full skill respect.

I'm sorry, but as I said above, I have a mess there ... resetting the morphs gave me like 20 points, not enough to complete my last profession and also for tanking 1h+shield & heavy armor skills.... so ... to avoid paying the gold, I did actually what you said, I invested the points in woodworking and abandoned the char. Playing the magicka sorcerer now. Thinking about leveling a DK, but I'm low on CP ... only at 194 now ... so this is my main priority.

Anyway, this topic is only about the HUGE price of the respec and not about ways to avoid it.

Thank you ALL for your replies. Sorry I cannot answer to everything, I need to go now.
    Cya !
  • ral
    ral
    ✭✭✭
    Did zos explained why they raise the price of reskilling again? That's the real question
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry, but as I said above, I have a mess there ... resetting the morphs gave me like 20 points, not enough to complete my last profession and also for tanking 1h+shield & heavy armor skills.... so ... to avoid paying the gold, I did actually what you said, I invested the points in woodworking and abandoned the char. Playing the magicka sorcerer now. Thinking about leveling a DK, but I'm low on CP ... only at 194 now ... so this is my main priority.

Anyway, this topic is only about the HUGE price of the respec and not about ways to avoid it.

Thank you ALL for your replies. Sorry I cannot answer to everything, I need to go now.
    Cya !

I can see if you're, just, returning to the game, where 20k could seem like a lot. For a CR194... it's really not. Run some delves, hit some dolmen, and you should have enough to swing that pretty quickly. The key is to vendor the drops you don't want. Do that, and you'll have an income; don't, and you'll be scrounging for the cash to pay your armor repair bills.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Point is respec once, don't respec more till next month and even then its only about 10k for me and i haven't even dented the skyshard yet, but still have enough skill points for everything i need on my main crafter plus combat skills
  • lookstwice
    lookstwice
    ✭✭✭
    The money is quite a bit but sometimes I wish I could just pay for removing skills. Even if it's more per point removal. I hate re-speccing and having to put all my points back when all I wanted to do is free up a few points.

For example I would like to take just 6 points out of provisioning and I don't want to redo everything for it. I would like an option to say pay 200-300 per point removal. I would probably pay for of them if I could do that.
    Edited by lookstwice on March 5, 2017 9:39PM
  • Khami
    Khami
    ✭✭✭✭

SW:TOR has free respecs for subscribers.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Khami wrote: »

Well to be fair in the beginning it did not even for subs, but yeah it did change
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lookstwice wrote: »
    The money is quite a bit but sometimes I wish I could just pay for removing skills. Even if it's more per point removal. I hate re-speccing and having to put all my points back when all I wanted to do is free up a few points.

For example I would like to take just 6 points out of provisioning and I don't want to redo everything for it. I would like an option to say pay 200-300 per point removal. I would probably pay for of them if I could do that.

You 'n me both. Also, an automatic refund when you cure vampirism or lycanthropy would be nice. As it is, your skill points stay spent on those skill lines, when you're cured.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khami wrote: »

Well to be fair in the beginning it did not even for subs, but yeah it did change

There's a few F2P MMOs that hold out free respecs (or a limited number of them) as a subscriber reward.
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most Mmos I've played resetting skills and respecing cost real money I was surprised this wasn't the case for eso. Eso has the cheapest skill resets ive seen it's like 15k gild tops you can make that in like 3 or 4 days barely playing.
    Edited by RebornV3x on March 5, 2017 9:48PM
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why yours is so pricy ???

For the same reason that ESO has classes. The developers are BLEEPing idiots.

It's splitting the difference between two opposing styles of play.

"Choices have to matter. Changes have to be HARD. I beat myself daily with a crowbar to BUILD CHARACTER!!!"

v

"Please can we have the freedom and flexibility of character development we know and love from the phenomenally successful single player TES games? You know, those games which made you filthy rich."

It sucks balls that we can't just do everything on one character but the cost isn't dreadful if you're not doing it too often.

And several bad aspects of the game which conflict work to our advantage on this one. Having lumped us with classes with definite themes, many skills don't mesh well. Eg. most of the Undaunted line has a very necromantic feel and look so I don't buy those. Nor would I bother with most of the thief or undaunted passives for most of my characters.
This discussion has been closed.