Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Continuously weave LA or HA? Plus other NB questions

Coldcell
Coldcell
New level 10 NB here. I'm wondering what the rotation should be in regard to weaving. Should I do LA -> Skill, or HA -> Skill when time/situation allows it?

Also if let's say my Magicka and Stamina are at 0, should I spam LA or do HA? I also wonder is there any benefit in holding LMB longer? Like for HA I only need to hold LMB for 2-3s.. But I could have hold it for 5s (I think). Is there any benefit (like added damage) in doing so?

Will attack from sneak always crit/do higher damage? I don't seem to be able to do Surprise Attack on mobs, but there's a skill that let me teleport to them. If I sneak and teleport, do the 1st damage count as sneak damage?

I've been trying to craft all Training gear for myself. Just confirming if it's the best choice of traits, even on weapons?

Thanks!
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Light attacks usually, heavy attacks take too long. HA only if you really need to conserve resoruces, which is usually only a problem if you're support roles aren't throwing out shards or whatever. Check out some of the popular theory crafters for good rotations. I prefer Alcast, but Deltia is another top one.
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A heavy attack that is not a fully charged heavy attack is often referred to as a medium attack. The longer you hold the mouse button down for the more damage the medium attack will do but also the more dps time you "waste" charging it. Light attack weaving offers the most dps but is also the trickiest to do consistently; it takes better timing to light attack weave without messing up than to medium weave without messing up, at least with a fire staff.

If I medium weave I will hold the mouse button down for just the right amount of time to trigger a medium attack (2 fire balls), which is just fractionally longer than a light attack. I think this does slightly less dps than light weaving but there's not much in it, and your dps while light weaving depends on how consistent you are. So you can decide to light weave and possibly mess up more depending on your dexterity, or medium weave and be more consistent. I tend to medium weave when solo, like for vma, and light weave if I'm in a group and have less to worry about or need to move around less. But if I'm mostly medium weaving I might occasionally throw in a light attack if I want to get the next skill off as quickly as possible. Practice both to learn the timings of light and medium attacks so that you can just switch between them as you see fit.

Edited by FriedEggSandwich on March 4, 2017 5:34AM
    PC | EU