The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Faction Change?

Desmuu
Desmuu
✭✭
I'm on in the Aldmeri dominion and I really regret it, but I don't want to spend all of that time re-leveling a new character all over again. I would much rather be on the Ebonheart pact. I would seriously pay money for a faction change if that ever became an option in the future. I was curious if anyone knows if that'll ever be an option or not, and I'd love to hear some opinions on it. To my knowledge it wouldn't be all that hard for them to make this an option, and they would probably make some money off of it too.
Should've been Roscrea
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem in PvP is that you can assign two characters to the same campaign. Usually, when you faction is loosing, people just basically "switch teams". And (what is worse) when more people do this - it makes the alliance war "rigged".

I personally would not mind to be able to "change" alliance, but ZOS needs first to fix this (so alliance war campaigns should be account wide, so you could not have two characters assigned to the same campaign, but in different alliance).

btw. In other mmorpgs there is something called "betrayal" quest - so you can change you main faction via quest line.
    Options
  • Desmuu
    Desmuu
    ✭✭
    I meant Alliance, sorry.
    Should've been Roscrea
    Options
  • theher0not
    theher0not
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem in PvP is that you can assign two characters to the same campaign. Usually, when you faction is loosing, people just basically "switch teams". And (what is worse) when more people do this - it makes the alliance war "rigged".

I personally would not mind to be able to "change" alliance, but ZOS needs first to fix this (so alliance war campaigns should be account wide, so you could not have two characters assigned to the same campaign, but in different alliance).

btw. In other mmorpgs there is something called "betrayal" quest - so you can change you main faction via quest line.

They can easily solve the PvP problem by preventing the faction changed character to enter any PvP campain untill the current one has ended.
    Options
  • AnviOfVai
    AnviOfVai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Tommy_The_Gun but lag man lagg!!! All my characters are stuck in Haderus, I can't even enter Thornblade any more without everything crashing. ):

I normally login to the character I want to play, (or i'm told to play) and I will play with that faction whether or not they are winning or loosing, really could not care as long as I can get some kills! :)

Faction changes however..could...be fussy. I too would pay to be able to switch my characters to another faction, however I do not know how that would play well in PVP. You would probably become an instant target for being a *traitor* to the faction, but then again gives your character a interesting back story. I play all my characters in Haderus, I recentally had them split into Thornblade too but due to lag issues and server crashing I can't actually play the server at all, too many people and the maps don't even load, I end up falling through the floor numerous times.
    "I appear at my lord's behest, or perhaps I was always here, and you merely lacked the ability to see me."

PS4 - EU

AD - Pet Sorcerer - Damage Dealer - 160
    DC - Warden - Werewolf - in - progress - 160
    DC - Templar - Tank - 160
    DC - Sorcerer - Damage Dealer - in - progress
    EP - Dragon Knight -Fire Tank - 160
    EP - Nightblade - Damage Dealer - 160

Options
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I usually mention when this topic comes up, as it has times and times again in the past... I wouldn't mind some alliance change option - as long as its done -right-!

As in, not just another crown store service token that simply switches to a different alliance, but... a whole cloak and dagger (well its ESO so... hood and dagger?) style DLC that starts with an "loyalty called in question" theme, where you then get to make a very big choice in the first part - stay loyal to your alliance and find out who the real traitor is that framed you, or escape the agents coming after you to defect to another faction, grabbing some secrets slong the way to bribe your new masters into taking you in...
    This sort of questline might revisit some old locations, places used in the story questlines with new mobs... thus reusing some of what used to be "one-off" locations here and there. Might also benefit from a new location, some neutral "diplomatic meeting place" city somewhere between the alliances (isle of stirk, maybe?), where the spies can meet to spy hard... (think cold war vienna or something like that) and speaking of spies, also including some familiar faces. After all, who would not love to slam a porticullis shut into Razum-dars face moments before you join Naryu on a boat to Morrowind? ;)

Also, there could be nifty titles for your choice. Like "[original alliance] Loyalist" if you remained, and "[original alliance] Defector" if you turned traitor...

And there also should be consequences in PvP.
    For one, while you can't just loose your alliance rank (because those come with skill points you may already have spent), you may be required to re-earning in your new alliance it before you get to advance any further...
    For another, noone trusts a defector right away, so it might be plausible to have reduced AP gains for quite a while... or increased AP costs for the new alliance vendors, reflecting the lack of trust.
    For third, your former comrades will be feeling somewhat vexed at the "betrayal" and eager to dish out a hefty dose of "justice" on the battlefield... and gain triple AP for taking down such a "traitor" or something like that... there even could be a "hunt a traitor" daily mission, and "traitor here" indicators floating above those who defected... (like, now we have the red-blue-yellow symbol floating about your enemies head, a traitor could have an additional marker... like, pips in the original faction color framing their new faction main symbol or something...)
    Options
  • AnviOfVai
    AnviOfVai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I usually mention when this topic comes up, as it has times and times again in the past... I wouldn't mind some alliance change option - as long as its done -right-!

And there also should be consequences in PvP.
    For one, while you can't just loose your alliance rank (because those come with skill points you may already have spent), you may be required to re-earning in your new alliance it before you get to advance any further...
    For another, noone trusts a defector right away, so it might be plausible to have reduced AP gains for quite a while... or increased AP costs for the new alliance vendors, reflecting the lack of trust.
    For third, your former comrades will be feeling somewhat vexed at the "betrayal" and eager to dish out a hefty dose of "justice" on the battlefield... and gain triple AP for taking down such a "traitor" or something like that... there even could be a "hunt a traitor" daily mission, and "traitor here" indicators floating above those who defected... (like, now we have the red-blue-yellow symbol floating about your enemies head, a traitor could have an additional marker... like, pips in the original faction color framing their new faction main symbol or something...)

You know...I actually really like this idea...Shockingly I think it would be quite appropriate to have a *dunce hat* on your character as you run around in PVP of course it would make you in an instant target but it is the requirement for being a traitor, luckily enough if you have people in the faction who are likely to protect you that's great :) But I agree with you there should be some kind of action if you change factions. The Cyrodiil Missions that say "hunt a traitor" would be a great addition as well. You really have looked into this!

tumblr_nuuxls5ydI1rwbx1qo1_400.gif

However there probably should be some kind of "reward" from your faction for being a traitor, because of course they are going to commend you to coming to their side, so perhaps you get a mail from the faction you have switched to saying "im glad we have you on our team, here is a little congratulations on joining the team*
    "I appear at my lord's behest, or perhaps I was always here, and you merely lacked the ability to see me."

PS4 - EU

Options
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd like a faction change - and I don't see the need for any kind of penalties/quests/fluff around doing it.

Simply put, my first character (stamblade) was AD. I got it to 50, and made good progression on crafting. Then my friend joined a DC guild - so I did too - and started levelling DC characters. I've only ever PVP'd with that character in BWB - and haven't touched it for anything other than crafting for well over 6 months - probably much longer.

My mains are DC. I will only PVP for DC (yeah, i'm a loyalist). I'd like to play my stamblade in PVP again, and do get tempted sometimes - but will only play for DC.

Effectively - being allowed a faction change on this character could actually *stop* me from faction-hopping.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
    Options
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But I agree with you there should be some kind of action if you change factions...
    Indeed...
    2ba.jpg
    ;)
    However there probably should be some kind of "reward" from your faction for being a traitor...
    ...so that everyone would do it just to get the reward? Not that good an idea... the game would quickly turen into "Elder Treason Online" I fear. Not to mention all the people who hate the faction change idea because they are afraid it will unbalance PvP when everyone joins the "winning team"...
    (though not like that can happen already when they cherry-pick their campaigns...)
    Would be nifty if the "underdogs" got more Ap rewards for their voctiries, when they manage some, while the winning team got less... after all, when you are struggling, a victory counts for more then when you can expect victories all the time for having the upper hans, right? But that's a different discussion... to be had elsewhere.
    Biro123 wrote: »
    I'd like a faction change - and I don't see the need for any kind of penalties/quests/fluff around doing it...
    I do but... options ae always good.
    So, the best way to do it IMO... have a "spycraft" DLC with in-story faction change option for 2500 crowns, buy once, then play with every character as youi like for your alliance change or loyalty... and then also add a 3-5000 crown service token for non-story alliance change. There. Done.

The penalties ought to stay though. To alley the fears of those who think about PvP inbalances... though of course, some of the penalties would be merely temporary (like the AP gain/cost thing), a representation of you having to earn the trust of your new alliance and convince them you are not a double agent and so on...
    I mean, if a russkie during the cold war defected to the US, they did not give them full military access at their old rank, right?
    Why would it be that different in Tamriel? ;)
    Options
  • lucian_banneb18_ESO
    I also support Alliance Faction Change... for instance, I'm AD, but with Homestead I'd like to get almost all the Pact Cyrodiil furniture... however, as far as I've seen I have access only to AD themed furniture...
    not to mention that I'd prefer to chose EP faction after going though all alliance stories...
    Options
  • AnviOfVai
    AnviOfVai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TheShadowScout

"...so that everyone would do it just to get the reward? Not that good an idea... the game would quickly turen into "Elder Treason Online" I fear. Not to mention all the people who hate the faction change idea because they are afraid it will unbalance PvP when everyone joins the "winning team"...
    (though not like that can happen already when they cherry-pick their campaigns...)
    Would be nifty if the "underdogs" got more Ap rewards for their voctiries, when they manage some, while the winning team got less... after all, when you are struggling, a victory counts for more then when you can expect victories all the time for having the upper hans, right? But that's a different discussion... to be had elsewhere."

I think there should be some reward though but not something that would make people change factions for the hell of having the award, its more like when your in Cyrodiil and your faction wins the campaign you get some money, So you get in the mail some cash, not much perhaps like 3,000?

However I can see the Faction change option going to the point of changing the entire balance in Factions, everyone leaving AD to join EP for example. Or DC if you look at Haderus.

PS4 - EU

Options
  • Wolfshead
    Wolfshead
    ✭✭✭✭
    I for one would love to have Alliance change mostly from a RP point of view i have Nord that is in AD factions but would like to get the char to EP again even if just one time deal i would pay for it to be honest for it feel wrong try to RP on AD with Nord
    If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled; for you are in Elysium, and you're already dead
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity
    Options
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there should be some reward though but not something that would make people change factions for the hell of having the award, its more like when your in Cyrodiil and your faction wins the campaign you get some money, So you get in the mail some cash, not much perhaps like 3,000?
    Well, that would be reasonable. But hardly much of a reward considering how easy you can get that with half an hour of skilled thieving... ;)
    However I can see the Faction change option going to the point of changing the entire balance in Factions, everyone leaving AD to join EP for example. Or DC if you look at Haderus.
    ...which is why some PvP drawbacks would be needed. So that the ones who care about PvP and PvP a lot think twice about chasing the "best" faction, but those who care more about questing with their friends can go to where those friends have their main characters...
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zos has not mentioned any interest in offering alliance change. Considering it's become easy and fast to level up a new character there is probably not much expected revenue from such an offering which would limit the chances of Zos bringing this about.
    Options
  • Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zos has not mentioned any interest in offering alliance change. Considering it's become easy and fast to level up a new character there is probably not much expected revenue from such an offering which would limit the chances of Zos bringing this about.

easy and fast my ass...... also archivements... also ALL the zone quests etc..... this game is a completionists Nightmare if he want to change alliance...
    Options
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭

lol... No, most have paid faction changes nd it ruins pvp balance
    Options
  • Wolfshead
    Wolfshead
    ✭✭✭✭

But still, you change your Race, Appearance, Name and the even a so call Name and Race Change Bundle so if they are not expected revenue in why do they have this thing on crown store then for you can't tell me that player does any of this change on daily basis

No hard fact is at least what I think is that if factions change is come I think ZoS is scary that so many players well some factions so it will hurt PvP part of then game
    If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled; for you are in Elysium, and you're already dead
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity
    Options
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This. They should never allow it. It is causing major problems.
    Options
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I so wish they gave each character a quest to choose alliance AFTER completion of Cadwell's Gold. A one time change.

I deleted 3 DC two of which were VR16 and the other VR1 over a year ago and replaced them with AD characters. My first character is the only one I couldn't delete after I made the decision to play AD. He is my crafter, knows all motifs was my first 9 trait as well.

I would like to get the Cyrodiil achievements, at least the ones I could, on him but it just feels wrong. It feels wrong to be in their zone chat, it feels wrong to be on a side that is opposing my real faction. I've tried for a few times during the event but each time I do I end up switching back to an AD toon.

This one feels punished for making two bad choices. The first making him an EP, the second was making him the main crafter and thus undeletable imo. I understand this isn't ZOS fault, and I'm not complaining. It would just be nice if there was a way to rectify this.
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
    Options
  • Keep_Door
    Keep_Door
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have no issue with this being implemented into the game. This coming from someone who already has 2 lvl 50s on DC 1 lvl 50 on AD and 1 lvl 50 on EP.

Options
  • jmrathbun
    jmrathbun
    When ESO debuted, I leveled a DK on AD and played for that faction a few months. I wasn't satisfied with playability compared to other MMORPGs (WoW, LotRO, GW2) so I moved on.

Recently I returned and quickly found a guild I really like (Remnants of Hope) that is on EP, so I leveled a magicka sorcerer with them and am using it as my main. Some day, I would like to resurrect my DK and play with my guildies in Cyrodiil.

I don't see this as an exploit or a betrayal, and would be pleased to pay 100,000 G for the privilege. Or maybe $10 US.
    Options
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zoliru wrote: »

easy and fast my ass...... also archivements... also ALL the zone quests etc..... this game is a completionists Nightmare if he want to change alliance...

Which achievement do you need for playing pvp on a different faction?
    Options
  • Insomnia rex
    Insomnia rex
    ✭✭✭
    Zoliru wrote: »

Which achievement do you need for playing pvp on a different faction?

Edit: I misunderstood. In any case. I want to add that only faction change would allow for completionists to complete stuff like the lore books.. (Eidetic memory).
    Edited by Insomnia rex on July 24, 2017 1:52PM
    CP630 AR20 PC EU, Alt Mag Sorc AD - Insomnicia Rex
    Options
  • Desmuu
    Desmuu
    ✭✭
    I would pay a disgusting amount of money for a faction change. Are faction change tokens ever going to happen or being discussed?
    Should've been Roscrea
    Options
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Desmuu wrote: »
    I would pay a disgusting amount of money for a faction change. Are faction change tokens ever going to happen or being discussed?
    No news on that front since they mentioned they were still considering the possibility all those many many months ago (on some ESO live IIRC)...

We can only wait and see.
    Options
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah yes. Alliance change. A request that further illustrates just how messed up the alliances are the game to the point that they seem worthless.
    The lore, story, and overall gameplay affects of Alliances and what races can be in them are pretty convoluted
    There simply is almost no Alliance loyalty in this game.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/382229/eso-alliances-are-messed-up
    Options
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped reading at "I'm on in the Aldmeri dominion and I really regret it,"

No but if they ever did add this it BETTER be EXPENSIVE and I'm talking like £200 xD dont make it like 5k crowns so people can just buy a bunch and change when they feel like it

*EDIT* Who let the Necro out ?
    Edited by JamieAubrey on January 14, 2018 4:23PM
    Options
  • Desmuu
    Desmuu
    ✭✭
    When I first started playing the game I was playing with a friend on AD, and he stopped playing long ago. Now I'm stuck on AD. I hate AD, I hate the colors, I hate them in the lore, I just don't like them. I would much rather join EP. I would love to signal boost this as much as possible and hopefully one day we'll be able to buy tokens just like with a race change. If WoW can do it, I don't really see why we can't in ESO.
    Should've been Roscrea
    Options
  • JerzeeDevil
    JerzeeDevil
    ✭✭✭
    Desmuu wrote: »
    When I first started playing the game I was playing with a friend on AD, and he stopped playing long ago. Now I'm stuck on AD. I hate AD, I hate the colors, I hate them in the lore, I just don't like them. I would much rather join EP. I would love to signal boost this as much as possible and hopefully one day we'll be able to buy tokens just like with a race change. If WoW can do it, I don't really see why we can't in ESO.

A/S/L?

Jeesh.

Delete the character. At best it takes 2 days to get fully leveled.

C'mon!

(Also, you might possibly have to buy 'Any race, any alliance' or possibly 'The Imperial edition' to cover the possible problems)
    jerzeedevil.com

If looks could kill, then Death would be my name.

Daggerfall's Mightiest- PS4 NA
    Wardens of Morrowind-PS4 NA
    Cyrodiil Death Squad- PS4 NA/EU

Options
  • Desmuu
    Desmuu
    ✭✭
    I'll give it a go. I'll post results lol
    Should've been Roscrea
    Options
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree with the OP. Alliance change tokens (or something) are well overdue and would do nothing to harm PVP (no one is going to spend potentially thousands of crowns just to switch sides when they feel like it, not on anything like a regular basis).
    Options