The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

VMSA build help

Joshua261
Joshua261
✭✭✭
I have lost track of how long I have been trying to clear VMSA for and I just can't seem to beat it. I am a Khaljiit stam sorc Running 5 Hundings rage, 3 agility jewelry and 2 piece stormfist with a random sharpened bow and twin leki swords precise. Any advice on how to improve my setup would be greatly appreciated or tips for vmsa itself would also be appreciated.
Joshua Doom- Imperial Templar
Mr Altmer- High elf sorcerer
Silent Destroyer- Khajiit nightblade
Heals-with-scales- Argonian Templar
Cat Sorc-- Khajiit sorcerer
The poison expert- Imperial Dragonknight
Templar Destroyer- High Elf Templar
Nooby Warden- High Elf Warden
Poisonous Noob- Redguard Dragonknight
Death-by-Magicka- Dark Elf Nightblade
Sinisterblade- Redguard Warden
  • WarpigFunk
    WarpigFunk
    ✭✭✭
    Youre perfectly capable imo of clearing it in that setup. Knowing your CP would be fruitful.
    I recently completed it for the first time myself, and really it's a war of attrition. You have to accept that you're going to die alot until you master each round of each stage.

Learning the fights through repetition and being intimately familiar with your build and skills is the key to winning. You can't be looking at your skill bar ever really - you have to constantly be aware of your surroundings - so get the requisite familiarity with your skills so you can execute the right skills at the right times without even thinking about it. And run each area over and over and over until you know the sequence of spawns etc... like the back of your hand, and eventually you will surprise yourself at having beaten it.
    PS4 [NA]
    Hingle McKringleberry - Altmer MagSorc DD The Flawless Conquerer
    Sek Sual Chocolate - Redguard StamSorc DD Stormproof
    Doktor Feelgood - Breton Templar Healz Boethia's Scythe
    Tiberius Asskickatron - Imperial DK StamTank Mageslayer
    -VERIFIED-
    -FFF-
    vAAHM 100k+, vSOHM 100k+, vHRCHM 100k+, vMoL 78k, vDSA 36k, vMA 535k
  • Joshua261
    Joshua261
    ✭✭✭
    WarpigFunk wrote: »
    Youre perfectly capable imo of clearing it in that setup. Knowing your CP would be fruitful.
    I recently completed it for the first time myself, and really it's a war of attrition. You have to accept that you're going to die alot until you master each round of each stage.

Learning the fights through repetition and being intimately familiar with your build and skills is the key to winning. You can't be looking at your skill bar ever really - you have to constantly be aware of your surroundings - so get the requisite familiarity with your skills so you can execute the right skills at the right times without even thinking about it. And run each area over and over and over until you know the sequence of spawns etc... like the back of your hand, and eventually you will surprise yourself at having beaten it.

I am at cp 600+
    I am currently at the frost arena, I get throught the first three rounds with little to no issue, the second to las waves give me grief and the final boss.... i barely last 2 minutes...
  • GrigorijMalahevich
    GrigorijMalahevich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What round kills you?
    PC/EU 800 CP.
    PvP MagSorc.
    Pedro Gonzales - Mag Sorc EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/CB6j6
    Valera Progib - Stam Sorc DC vMA Flawless Conqueror clear https://i.imgur.com/eYgpXG2.png
    Valera Pozhar - Mag DK EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/jrsuK
    Valera Podlechi - Mag Templar AD vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/N0BYq
  • Joshua261
    Joshua261
    ✭✭✭
    What round kills you?

The frost one with boss called Matriarch Runa
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After recently completing vMSA on everyclass (both stam and magicka) my conclusion on the most important stuff to beat the arena:

#1: The mechanics: It doesn´t matter what build,gear or cp you have. If you don´t know the mechanics you´re done for it. I´ve seen videos of people completing vMSA naked (with only jewels and weapons)

#2:Knowing your class: Do I need to make it any more clear?

#3: Gear/CP

Edit: Your gear is ok, but I would strongly recommend getting Vicious Ophidian (3 jewels + 2 bodypieces). As a stamina based class/character VO makes it so insanely more pleasant with sustain issues. You get vicious ophidian from Sanctum Ophidia (a trial)
    Edited by Qbiken on February 27, 2017 8:41PM
  • WarpigFunk
    WarpigFunk
    ✭✭✭
    Joshua261 wrote: »

I am at cp 600+
    I am currently at the frost arena, I get throught the first three rounds with little to no issue, the second to las waves give me grief and the final boss.... i barely last 2 minutes...

Because you're probably DPSing too fast. He spawns adds AND breaks islands at set health thresholds - which means you CONTROL the sequence of the fight however you want.

You want to make sure you leave the island with the 2 sigils for last.

What I do in that round.

Boss spawns - do a little damage, run to another island, watch for troll spawn. Kill the troll.
    Then damage the boss until first adds appear. Ignore the boss, move from island to island if needed - kill Archer FIRST, then melee dude. Then DPS the boss again from range until he breaks an island. Make sure he is not on the island with 2 sigils before you damage him enough to break the island.

Look for troll spawn. Kill the troll. Again, move back and forth on the islands if needed. Damage the boss until adds spawn.
    As soon as Adds spawn - grab the defense sigil from the island with 2 sigils, and if needed grab the haste sigil too.
    Defense sigil will REFLECT damage, which means archers and mages spamming ranged attacks on you will have them shot right back at them. Ignore the boss - and focus on killing the adds. Archers and casters first - then melee. Keep an eye out for trolls too - and remember they can be interrupted.

When second wave adds are down - bring boss to the island that does not have the Power sigil (the island that previously had 2 sigils before you took the defense one.) - DPS him until he breaks the Island.

Now you're home free. Just one island left. Run to that island - grab the power sigil, and blow out all your highest damage abilities on the boss and whatever adds are with him. Stay out of the red circle- but just smash the boss with all you got- ultimates, etc ...

With 600 cp and your gear you can do this no prob.
    PS4 [NA]
    -VERIFIED-
    -FFF-
  • Joshua261
    Joshua261
    ✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    After recently completing vMSA on everyclass (both stam and magicka) my conclusion on the most important stuff to beat the arena:

#1: The mechanics: It doesn´t matter what build,gear or cp you have. If you don´t know the mechanics you´re done for it. I´ve seen videos of people completing vMSA naked (with only jewels and weapons)

Edit: Your gear is ok, but I would strongly recommend getting Vicious Ophidian (3 jewels + 2 bodypieces). As a stamina based class/character VO makes it so insanely more pleasant with sustain issues. You get vicious ophidian from Sanctum Ophidia (a trial)

I have done so many trial runs and I only have 2 pieces VO- Sharpened dagger and blue necklase
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »

I have done so many trial runs and I only have 2 pieces VO- Sharpened dagger and blue necklase

You have 2 sharp daggers????? WTF :open_mouth:
    In that case. Go for Daggers + jewels. on the body go spriggan.
  • Joshua261
    Joshua261
    ✭✭✭

I am at cp 600+

Because you're probably DPSing too fast. He spawns adds AND breaks islands at set health thresholds - which means you CONTROL the sequence of the fight however you want.

What I do in that round.

Boss spawns - do a little damage, run to another island, watch for troll spawn. Kill the troll.
    Then damage the boss until first adds appear. Ignore the boss, move from island to island if needed - kill Archer FIRST, then melee dude. Then DPS the boss again from range until he breaks an island. Make sure he is not on the island with 2 sigils before you damage him enough to break the island.

Look for troll spawn. Kill the troll. Again, move back and forth on the islands if needed. Damage the boss until adds spawn.
    As soon as Adds spawn - grab the defense sigil from the island with 2 sigils, and if needed grab the haste sigil too.
    Defense sigil will REFLECT damage, which means archers and mages spamming ranged attacks on you will have them shot right back at them. Ignore the boss - and focus on killing the adds. Archers and casters first - then melee. Keep an eye out for trolls too - and remember they can be interrupted.

When second wave adds are down - bring boss to the island that does not have the Power sigil (the island that previously had 2 sigils before you took the defense one.) - DPS him until he breaks the Island.

Now you're home free. Just one island left. Run to that island - grab the power sigil, and blow out all your highest damage abilities on the boss and whatever adds are with him. Stay out of the red circle- but just smash the boss with all you got- ultimates, etc ...

With 600 cp and your gear you can do this no prob. [

I am at cp 600+

What I do in that round.

Ahhh ok I didn't realize adds came in based on his health i thought they were on a timer.... thats exceptionally helpful to know
  • GrigorijMalahevich
    GrigorijMalahevich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What round kills you?

The frost one with boss called Matriarch Runa

Don't DPS boss too fast, adds spawn on missing health, focus them first then boss untill he brakes the platform.

First let him destroy the platform where you spawn, then kill that ghost thing and force the boss to break the island with damage sigil and shield sigil last. When boss breaks second island just take damage and shield sigil and you can ignore everything and just focus boss.

Gg
    PC/EU 800 CP.
    PvP MagSorc.
    Pedro Gonzales - Mag Sorc EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/CB6j6
    Valera Progib - Stam Sorc DC vMA Flawless Conqueror clear https://i.imgur.com/eYgpXG2.png
    Valera Pozhar - Mag DK EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/jrsuK
    Valera Podlechi - Mag Templar AD vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/N0BYq
  • WarpigFunk
    WarpigFunk
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yea dude - if he's not at the threshold for breaking and all the adds for that wave are down, I'm pretty sure you can just run around the islands for hours doing nothing but killing the occasional troll until you damage the boss enough to start the next sequence. So if you need to regen resources in between phases, keep that in mind.

Again, knowing the fights is much more important than gear or cp in VMA.

I probably had 20-30 wipes on that guy my first time in there from me thinking I had to go balls out on damage on him from the start. He'll be breaking islands left and right and spawning adds like crazy.
    Edited by WarpigFunk on February 27, 2017 8:59PM
    PS4 [NA]
    -VERIFIED-
    -FFF-
  • Pallio
    Pallio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noticed after this patch on my stam sorc, we are getting hit harder and doing less damage, seems like a bug with physical damage resist and our pen. The nerfs didn't help, but, should not have haf that much of an pact either. Also by design they implented a fix allowing bleeds to ignore armor, this is both outgoing and incoming from mobs.

I have adjusted CP to compensate, run a little higher HP (19,500 now), run heals on both dw abilities and have vigor when needed... also a little more liberal with sigils now, just farming for drops not looking for a score to get on the boards. Mag Sorc seem to be doing better now as far as high scores etc.. just more comfortable on stam sorc since I have done it almost 100 times now.
  • Joshua261
    Joshua261
    ✭✭✭
    Pallio wrote: »
    Noticed after this patch on my stam sorc, we are getting hit harder and doing less damage, seems like a bug with physical damage resist and our pen. The nerfs didn't help, but, should not have haf that much of an pact either. Also by design they implented a fix allowing bleeds to ignore armor, this is both outgoing and incoming from mobs.

I have adjusted CP to compensate, run a little higher HP (19,500 now), run heals on both dw abilities and have vigor when needed... also a little more liberal with sigils now, just farming for drops not looking for a score to get on the boards. Mag Sorc seem to be doing better now as far as high scores etc.. just more comfortable on stam sorc since I have done it almost 100 times now.

My mag sorc is doing just as badly in vma, he can't get past arena 4- mr mini engine guardian....
  • Joshua261
    Joshua261
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yea dude - if he's not at the threshold for breaking and all the adds for that wave are down, I'm pretty sure you can just run around the islands for hours doing nothing but killing the occasional troll until you damage the boss enough to start the next sequence. So if you need to regen resources in between phases, keep that in mind.

Again, knowing the fights is much more important than gear or cp in VMA.

I probably had 20-30 wipes on that guy my first time in there from me thinking I had to go balls out on damage on him from the start. He'll be breaking islands left and right and spawning adds like crazy.

Now that I know that I can try and give it another crack tomorrow, unless there's more maintenance....
  • Mattoxx96
    Mattoxx96
    ✭✭
    Your set up is fine, I use 5 spriggan, 3 agility, 2 Kra'gh, them 2 sharpened daggers(a weapon dmg 2 piece set will help a little) and maelstrom bow,as a stam sorc though, not having major fracture, I would recommend more penetration, so go 2 sharpened dual wield
  • Joshua261
    Joshua261
    ✭✭✭

I am at cp 600+

What I do in that round.

Matriarch runa.... Has just been killed :D:D thank you so much for your help
    Edit: now spiral shadows is a cow so i think i will take a break for a while... :D
    Edited by Joshua261 on February 28, 2017 3:37PM
  • Pallio
    Pallio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just keep at it, take breaks etc. At first I just wanted to clear a stage a day, probably spent a week on 5 and 9. Still not in a hurry since you need 525k+ on sorc to get on the board, mostly just farming. When I do complete it in one sitting maybe 400-450. Etc. Comfortable on stamsorc.. wish I would have geared up and got gud on either Temp or DK, 400 would get you on the board with them.
  • Joshua261
    Joshua261
    ✭✭✭
    Pallio wrote: »
    Just keep at it, take breaks etc. At first I just wanted to clear a stage a day, probably spent a week on 5 and 9. Still not in a hurry since you need 525k+ on sorc to get on the board, mostly just farming. When I do complete it in one sitting maybe 400-450. Etc. Comfortable on stamsorc.. wish I would have geared up and got gud on either Temp or DK, 400 would get you on the board with them.

Yeah i'm taking a break for the day to do pledges and other bits and bobs. I'm gonna read up on spiral shadows strategies before I try again I got to round 3 and got hit by everything....
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Going through the same thing. The spider daedra boss was major pain. Supposed to keep the totems light by killing hoarvers next to them. IDK? It was like a total fluke when I beat her. I don't want to do it again. Haha.

Lukums1 has some really good guides on twitch. I'm rocking twice fanged snake, vicious ophidian and veledrith....still struggling a lot more than someone should with such gear.
  • Pallio
    Pallio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lukum is like the stam sorc Brave Heart, I heard he did naked once and had a score that got him on boards.

Personally after changing gear A LOT, ie. TFS Hundings etc. Settled in to the old reliable 5vo/5nmg(2 daggers)/2×veli. Hard to beat that setup.
  • Soleya
    Soleya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Btw the health thresholds are 75% and 45%. Look for the red blast effect and make sure your off the island when the boss jumps.

What I usually do is start on the island with the speed boost. DPS boss, then focus adds when they come up. After they are down, grab the speed boost, focus boss and get off island as boss hits 75%. Run to the one with the health sigil. Kill the add that spawns and the troll then dps boss a bit kill the adds, then back to boss till it his 45%. Then run to final island grab both power and defense sigil and ignore everything except the trolls and boss. Defense sigil will reflect all the ranged damage.

The RNG of which island the troll goes to can mess with you here, so just make sure you don't drag the boss to another island and it breaks the wrong ones.

I believe the last island is broken on a timer, which is why you want the defense/power sigils, so you can nuke the boss quickly. If you have decent DPS then it's less of an issue.

Also, feel free to use heavy attacks to regain resources after killing adds and before boss breaks island the first two times. You have plenty of time so don't try to rush.

Btw, my first clear was on stam sorc using 5 Hundings, 2 Valkyn Skoria, 3 Endurance, 2 Night Mothers daggers and a NM bow.
    Edited by Soleya on February 28, 2017 10:55PM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The two most obvious ways to improve that are vicious ophidian (the 5 piece is nuts in VMA) and believe it or not, your race. I changed my stam sorc from Khajiit to Redguard and the difference in sustain is mind-boggling. In trials, maybe not the best option, but everywhere else, Redguard>Khajiit.

Also, Nightmothers>Hundings when solo.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on February 28, 2017 11:46PM
  • mr_wazzabi
    mr_wazzabi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am at cp 600+

What I do in that round.

Matriarch runa.... Has just been killed :D:D thank you so much for your help
    Edit: now spiral shadows is a cow so i think i will take a break for a while... :D

Spiral shadows is 100 times easier than frozen blood. Just gotta know the mechanics

Your next hurdle is round 7, vault of umbrage. Be ready to break your controller and tv a couple times
    Edited by mr_wazzabi on March 1, 2017 5:02PM
    Bosmer Stamina NB
    Altmer Magicka TEMP
    Dunmer DK both stam/mag (depends what I feel like)
    Altmer Magicka NB
    Breton Magicka Sorc
    Redguard Stam Sorc
    Max CP
  • Joshua261
    Joshua261
    ✭✭✭
    So, i got through spiral shadows and it was a bit tougher than expeced but got through it, now i'm at vault of umbrage at the argonian behemoth.... and wow he's not friendly whatsoever... anyone have any tips?
  • darthsithis
    darthsithis
    ✭✭✭
    Lure the argonian menders AWAY from flowers before you kill one. That way you don't die to rng.

Never interrupt the behemoth when he's shouting.

When he is shouting drop aoes, heavy attack for resources, dots, then NUKE the mender. Grab a sigil at this point if needed. And of course, kill the flower summoner.
    Message me if you want to do trials/dungeons, or need a trading guild! Flawless conqueror magsorc with a bad sense of armor fashion.
  • darthsithis
    darthsithis
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck :) next stage is easy, and 9 is too until the last boss (first time is tough)
    Message me if you want to do trials/dungeons, or need a trading guild! Flawless conqueror magsorc with a bad sense of armor fashion.
  • Joshua261
    Joshua261
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck :) next stage is easy, and 9 is too until the last boss (first time is tough)

got through arena 8 no issue except for flame knight..... wow he is not fun.

arena 9 i can't get past round 4
  • IlpsyducklI
    Keep at it buddy you'll get there just make sure your buffs are up like power surge hurricane and volley... also might be worth dropping the two swords and try one axe and a dagger ( bleed dmg from the axe and crit from the dagger ) mght be a bit better dps for you :)
  • Joshua261
    Joshua261
    ✭✭✭
    Keep at it buddy you'll get there just make sure your buffs are up like power surge hurricane and volley... also might be worth dropping the two swords and try one axe and a dagger ( bleed dmg from the axe and crit from the dagger ) mght be a bit better dps for you :)

I have completely swapped my setup and it worked wonders, 3 blue VO jewellery, divines boots, powered bow and sharpened dagger and 4 divines armour and precise axe NMG crafted. Got me to that point and I just got fed up of tries. in tht sitting i finished arenas 6,7 and 8 so i stopped and took a break
    Edited by Joshua261 on March 28, 2017 2:41PM
  • darthsithis
    darthsithis
    ✭✭✭
    If round four is what I think (the Titan) just grab defense sigil when the adds spawn to deflect taking aim. The hard part is after Titan.

If four is just the miniboss dude in the middle, idk ghosts and nuke :)

Grats on getting to the last stage!

Tell voriak solkyn hello and f--k you for me lmao. Also kill him for me