The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Houses are too dark

• zhaguarrwb17_ESO
    PROTIP: PUT CANDLES IN THE ROOF THEY LOOK LIKE OVERHEAD LIGHTING ;D
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PROTIP: PUT CANDLES IN THE ROOF THEY LOOK LIKE OVERHEAD LIGHTING ;D

This is actually true. Light bleeds through floors.
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they did it just right my one inn room is completely dark, I placed 2 candles in one corner to make a "creepy effect" it worked perfectly and I can still see in the rest of the room.

The lights work exactly how light would work in real life.
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a Vampire, I actually used Orc Rugs that were meant to look like tapestries in order to blot out the sun, and even though they do effectively block the sun "Rays" coming through windows, the ambient lighting of all the houses increases during the daytime.
    The only effectively "Dark" homes are the Orc style.
    I'd love to find a way to make the house "Darker", or perhaps to set the local weather around my home to whatever I'd want, like overcast, or rain and thunderstorm perhaps, etc...
  • bloodthirstyvampire
    bloodthirstyvampire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a chandelier 2 actually lights the place up nicely
    Self-proclaimed Vampire Lord, or in this case, Blood Sion. º,...,º
  • bloodthirstyvampire
    bloodthirstyvampire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nolphi wrote: »
    I agree. I got the daggerfal overlook house and its a dark gloomy place inside unless you fill it up with sconces everywhere. I did that and went pretty all out with modifying the outside and I am nearly at the 800 cap. That cap needs to be higher for larger houses especially with so much of that cap going to lighting

get your self some chandeliers lights it up nicely
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To each their own. All I have is the Rosy Lion room with a target dummy plonked in the centre, and I LOVE how dark it is, because it makes it much easier to see when I need to re-apply DOTs and buffs. I'm getting better at NOT relying on the visual cues now as a result.
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I hung two lanterns from the ceiling of my house. It made a big difference.
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
  • Tholian1
    Tholian1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The housing instances do seem to be darker at night than the rest of the world. I bought Strident Springs Demesne and noticed that the Imperial Lightposts inside my instance are at least half as bright as the ones just outside. Inside the house is really bad too. The radius of the lights are too small and there really is no way to fill an area with light easily.

I noticed darker interiors back when Orsinium came out and remember having to strain to see inside most of the buildings in Wrothgar. Maybe something changed since then that is different than the older maps?

I'm curious if the players that bought Daggerfall Overlook have been able to make the interior just as brightly lit as the castle in Wayrest is.
    PS4 Pro NA
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NPC houses in game are not as dark as the player houses. I have lots of candles of different sizes in my Cyrodilic Jungle House, and I can't make the place light up. I might try sticking candles in the walls all around or inside the rafters to see if it helps.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's cause you don't live in a tree house like me...The consequence of deciding to live in stone.
  • Ostacia
    Ostacia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also bought Strident Springs and am disappointed at how dark it is. Yes, yes, I've put up lamps and sconces and candles but it doesn't seem like the light has enough "throw." I understand it should be dark at night, but the splash screen when going to my house shows a beautiful interior that shows shafts of sunlight from the upstairs window streaming into the middle area of the ground floor. I wish it really did that...I have to leave the house to know if it's day or night because it seems to make no difference to the darkness within.
    PC/ NA
    Imagination is the real and eternal world of which this vegetable universe is but a faint shadow. -- William Blake
  • Tholian1
    Tholian1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also bought Strident Springs and am disappointed at how dark it is. Yes, yes, I've put up lamps and sconces and candles but it doesn't seem like the light has enough "throw." I understand it should be dark at night, but the splash screen when going to my house shows a beautiful interior that shows shafts of sunlight from the upstairs window streaming into the middle area of the ground floor. I wish it really did that...I have to leave the house to know if it's day or night because it seems to make no difference to the darkness within.

I currently have 26 light sources, an absurd amount, in the main room and the place still looks too dark.
    PS4 Pro NA
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agree and most lights barely light more than a door out.
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • bloodthirstyvampire
    bloodthirstyvampire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OmniDo wrote: »
    As a Vampire, I actually used Orc Rugs that were meant to look like tapestries in order to blot out the sun, and even though they do effectively block the sun "Rays" coming through windows, the ambient lighting of all the houses increases during the daytime.
    The only effectively "Dark" homes are the Orc style.
    I'd love to find a way to make the house "Darker", or perhaps to set the local weather around my home to whatever I'd want, like overcast, or rain and thunderstorm perhaps, etc...

I use coffin lids to blot the sun out
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's ZO$'s 'friendly' way of telling you to buy crown candles.

Fortunately for me, my character is evil, so it really fits the whole theme.
    Edited by MythicEmperor on March 4, 2017 2:11AM
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
    Kilith Telvayn, Dunmer Telvanni Sorcerer (main)
    Kilith, Dunmer Magblade (old main)
    Vadusa Venim, Dunmer crafter (older main)
    Hir Hlaalu, Dunmer Warden
    Søren Icehelm, N'wah Warden
    Fargoth of Morrowind, Bosmer commoner
  • howdawut
    howdawut
    ✭✭
    I've been struggling with lighting my house inside and out. I understand people's arguments that the world should seem dark at night and if that is what you're after, more power to you. I see many many places in Tamriel that are very well lit.

Since housing was released, I see Tamriel in a different way...I see things I can actually make or buy and use for my place. But lighting is very frustrating...I see how ZOS has used certain lights but when I make/buy the same exact light, the intensity of the light is hardly the same as 'theirs'.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find Mournoth way too dark. Yes, I've put lamps in there. Still too dark. Sitting in the dark is no fun unless you're a vampire, I guess.
    My place in Sentinel is super bright, though.