The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Houses are too dark

Kendo12
Kendo12
✭✭✭
Even the ones with windows..no light comes in
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lamps, candles, torches, skyshards all light up an area.

I agree they start out dark, but once you put up a few torches they become pretty bright.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • aLi3nZ
    aLi3nZ
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does any house have functioning windows with a view? Honestly that is the most disappointing thing I found with houses. Need them windows
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah the houses are too dark it's quite sad I have lights like every 3 feet it's still dark as hell
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • Jemcrystal
    Jemcrystal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turn up monitor/tv lighting and contrast.
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sconces and Skyshards provide decent light. Other than that the rest are pretty damn bad.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • deamor666eb17_ESO
    deamor666eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Funny... I was thinking that the houses should be even darker without lighting.

Guess we all have our tastes.
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Selling skyshards in the lightning aisle at Home Depot?
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aLi3nZ wrote: »
    Does any house have functioning windows with a view? Honestly that is the most disappointing thing I found with houses. Need them windows

As far as I know there are no windows in the entire game that you can see out of. I'm not sure if that's done for game design reasons (saves having to load both the inside and outside of the building) or realism (because for a long time you couldn't really see out of glass windows) or both.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the houses are extremely realistic; sorry, but ancient Tamriel did not have high-powered overhead lighting. Even in our own world, before electricity, houses WERE extremely dark and were only lit by candlelight and fire places. Remember what YOUR house looks like when the power goes out, it's extremely dark even during the day with just candlelight- and NO- flashlights don't count either!! ;)
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • kongkim
    kongkim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude calibrate your monitor. Its overall too light..
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Err, I really don't mean to offend but.... make a lamp or two o:)
  • Ahzek
    Ahzek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When there is no light comming through the windows, that might have a slight correlation with the fact that its nighttime. Funnily enough when its dark outside for some reason no light will come from there.

If that is actually not the issue you might have stumbled into a bug.
    Edited by Ahzek on February 26, 2017 10:43AM
    Jo'Khaljor
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Working as intended.

Have you ever been in an house build at those times? When windows were tiny as to not let in the cold in winter? These -are- darn dark, even during the brightest summer day... so for a medieval setting, dark interiors for commonplace housing is actually historically accurate!

But that's why we have lanterns, candles, scones, oil lamps, and so on, to brighten them up.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could Light Bulbs work in ESO? Like the earlier ones of running coiled platinum through vacuumed glass, then powered by magic!
  • Ahzek
    Ahzek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could Light Bulbs work in ESO? Like the earlier ones of running coiled platinum through vacuumed glass, then powered by magic!

For that to work we would need 2 things we dont really have in ESO:
    1st Platinum wires.
    2nd A way to create a vacuum in the glass.

Its also just way simpler to use magic fires instead.
    Jo'Khaljor
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why bother with that when there are glowy magic crystals in tamriel already? Just grab those and enchant them to glow some more...
  • SunnyBunny
    SunnyBunny
    ✭✭✭
    I have one of the medium size homes - the lighting is actually kinda cool. At certain times of the day you can see it travel across the floor. It's really nice
    Lone Wolf Help ~ Royal Bank of Tamriel ~ Black Market Wares

I Know I'm Lost

*Ernestina - Imperial Temp
    *Ennus - Bosmer Sorc
    *Greavy - Orc DK
    *Somniate - Ra Gada NB
    *Cilano - Imperial DK
    *Ba'Raka - Khajiit Warden
    *Bird In Hand - Argonian Templar
  • EvilCroc
    EvilCroc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely not!
    They are NOT dark enough. even in the night time, with no light sources you can see anything.
    That's silly.
    Too dark, too dark... How can it be said at all? Too dark...
  • Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They are quite dark, but once you get enough light sources that are different and in the main places, it can really help! You have to remember that they do only have basic light sources, other than glowing crystals and stuff, it will be darker than what we are used to in real life with electric lights everywhere :D
    I like that it makes the place feel more cozy and lived in anyway.
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • O_LYKOS
    O_LYKOS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sconces and Skyshards provide decent light. Other than that the rest are pretty damn bad.

Does the skyshard you buy actually show like a skyshard? I really want one lol
    PC NA - GreggsSausageRoll
    Xbox NA - CinnamonRoll266
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    O_LYKOS wrote: »

Does the skyshard you buy actually show like a skyshard? I really want one lol

It does, exactly the same.
    Pc na
  • chaserstorm16909
    chaserstorm16909
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    I think the houses are extremely realistic; sorry, but ancient Tamriel did not have high-powered overhead lighting. Even in our own world, before electricity, houses WERE extremely dark and were only lit by candlelight and fire places. Remember what YOUR house looks like when the power goes out, it's extremely dark even during the day with just candlelight- and NO- flashlights don't count either!! ;)

Agreed. And yet they have wayshrines to allow for teleportation.
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I initially thought the house was too dark as well, after I put in a good amount of lights in, it's now pretty to look at. So it's quite realistic, not too dark at all.
    Edited by akl77 on February 26, 2017 9:21PM
    Pc na
  • Nolphi
    Nolphi
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I got the daggerfal overlook house and its a dark gloomy place inside unless you fill it up with sconces everywhere. I did that and went pretty all out with modifying the outside and I am nearly at the 800 cap. That cap needs to be higher for larger houses especially with so much of that cap going to lighting
    Clan Nolphi Family Gaming
    Follow @kingnolphi on twitter
  • IronCrystal
    IronCrystal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it largely depends on the house you have.

For instance Mathiisen manor is always bright. Even with zero light sources it is way bright.

On the other hand, my poor Strident Springs house is dim even with sconces and daytime.
    Make PC NA raiding great again!

Down with drama!

What Mechanics Healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer

Homestead Raid Scores
    vHRC 157,030
    vAA 138,287
    vSO 153,393
    vMoL 154,550

Not raiding in Morrowind
  • Kendo12
    Kendo12
    ✭✭✭
    I cant buy a house while its this dark
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that the insides of most houses are too dark. Although it may be realistic for a pre-electricity era, it's still very unpleasant not to be able to see one's tapestries, paintings, or knick-knacks unless one fills up the item allowance with lanterns or torches. Even then, the insides are gloomy!

I find myself spending any time at my houses outside in the gardens or in the deck of Sleek Creek (great panoramic view).
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Under the Menu: Settings => Video => Under the gamma slide bar click calibrate.
    (also you can adjust the gamma setting to your preference)
  • Kendo12
    Kendo12
    ✭✭✭
    Avran_Sylt wrote: »
    Under the Menu: Settings => Video => Under the gamma slide bar click calibrate.
    (also you can adjust the gamma setting to your preference)

Um I don't want to change the rest of the game which looks fine. My gamma is already calibrated
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 1 candle, 1 latern, 4 torches, planning on 5. That lights up the place real nicely.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds