The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Test dummies and healing done...

Ozstryker
Ozstryker
✭✭✭✭
First off, I'm a convert to the use of the Training Dummy.. Initially I bought it as a novelty, something I could just wail on now and then.. But, I've actually found myself practicing things like weaving heavy attacks and testing self-buffs etc. etc..

Problem is the Dummy shows no numbers in relation to healing output.... There are certain buffs I'd like to test using the same methodology as dps output... But.... Cannot!

Is this intended? Am I missing something? I believe it's an oversight... And if it is can it be easily rectified?

• austinwalter87ub17_ESO
    austinwalter87ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't you heard? Only DPS players get catered to because they're the overwhelming majority.
    PC and PS4 (bring back character transfers please?)
    Templar Extraordinaire
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Healing is also not about maximum heal over time, more about burst heal then needed and buffs.
    Dolmen grind looks like an nice place to train healing, currently leveling an templar with main focus on heal and use them for practice and to level up the healing spills.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't you heard? Only DPS players get catered to because they're the overwhelming majority.

Absolute *** lol at this. I take it you haven't read any information on the upcoming warden which the devs have specifically stated will perform very highly in off-tank off-healer roles.
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ozstryker wrote: »
    First off, I'm a convert to the use of the Training Dummy.. Initially I bought it as a novelty, something I could just wail on now and then.. But, I've actually found myself practicing things like weaving heavy attacks and testing self-buffs etc. etc..

Problem is the Dummy shows no numbers in relation to healing output.... There are certain buffs I'd like to test using the same methodology as dps output... But.... Cannot!

Is this intended? Am I missing something? I believe it's an oversight... And if it is can it be easily rectified?

i do not think you have overlooked/missed anything , the current dummies do not deal damage, therefore healing (inc self heals) cannot be assessed.

i wouldnt call it an oversight though either, as if you want to check your damage/healing/debuffing you can still use the old method of picking on poor old bloodspawn!
  • Ozstryker
    Ozstryker
    ✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Healing is also not about maximum heal over time, more about burst heal then needed and buffs.
    Dolmen grind looks like an nice place to train healing, currently leveling an templar with main focus on heal and use them for practice and to level up the healing spills.

It's not so much about "practicing healing" as healing is mostly reactive in group situations... More, how do certain buffs effect healing skills.... For example, how does entropy effect HoT ticks, or how effective are certain gear sets to overall burst heals.... There are many scenarios I'd like to test, as I do not wish to be a Meta Build sheep.. But.... Cannot

:smile:
  • SublimeSparo
    SublimeSparo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good way to test healing and tanks for that matter is head into normal Sanctum Ophidia or Atherian Archive and play with the first bosses, they deal sufficient damage to test a variety of things, Sanctum particularly good as minimal trash on way to manti, you both also always get popcorn mechanic, let the tank eat the popcorn while you avoid yours whilst burst healing the tank, the bleeds from manti are a good test of hots and springs placement, and you can 'forget' to block the big aoe to add extra bleeds to heal through
    Edited by SublimeSparo on February 24, 2017 11:03AM
    PS4 EU CP900. PS4 NA CP600,
    vAA HM ☆ vHRC HM ☆ vSO HM ☆ vMOL
    4th Console vMOL clear,
    vMA cleared on all classes stam & magic

My Tribe
    EU
    High Sparo - Altmer - mSo DD.
    Wood Sparo - Bosmer - sNB DD
    Nord Sparo - Nord -sDK DD/Tank.
    Bubble Girl - Imperial -sTe DD
    Succubus Sue - Breton - mNB Tank.
    Andrana Stormlock - Altmer - mTe Healer/ DD
    Elvali Marvani - Dunmer - mDK DD.
    Venemus Draconem - Redguard - sDK DD
    Jayri Leki - Redguard - sSo DD.
    Miss Jabsalot - Altmer - mTe PvP DD/ Tank
    Mireli Hlaano - Dunmer - mNB DD.
    Ms Shanks - Redguard - sNB DD/ le bank

NA
    Dilemma Dame - Altmer - mDK DD
    Stamsorc Kitty - Redguard - sSor DD
    Aia Draconis - Imperial - sDK Tank
    Decides-Who-Lives - Argonian - mTe Healer
    You wont stop me - Altmer - mSo DD
    Stab in the dark - Khajiit - sNB DD
    Jabjabjab Beambeambeam - Dunmer - mTe DD
    Spatium Auxiliarus - Imperial - hTe Tank&bank
    Spectre - Altmer - mNB DD
    Can't-Main-Tank -Argonian - sDK offTank
  • Ozstryker
    Ozstryker
    ✭✭✭✭

i do not think you have overlooked/missed anything , the current dummies do not deal damage, therefore healing (inc self heals) cannot be assessed.

i wouldnt call it an oversight though either, as if you want to check your damage/healing/debuffing you can still use the old method of picking on poor old bloodspawn!

I see your point :smile: you are saying numbers would be generated by heals I've received.. .but, my question is "could a dummy show healing numbers as if I were healing IT?" Maybe difficult to implement though as I would need to damage as well as heal the dummy?
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why do you need a dummy for healing? Most things can just be tested by simply healing yourself (and using the target dummy if you have any buffs that require an enemy target).
    And if you want to check passives that only work on low hp targets there is always spell symmetry.
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would argue against that, Healing Springs (morph of Grand Healing from restoration staff) is a heal-over-time, and it's the most used healing skill for group content, specially in trials.

OP to test your heal over time, it's best to grab a friend and do that in the open world. If you intend to test stuff like Mystic Orb vs Energy orb, then you and your friend have to install an addon to see how much mana/healing you get returned, then go test it at a place with mobs close to a wayshrine ...once you have tested one morph, port to respect and get back to testing.

In case your friend is a healer too, and have the other morph you both want to test, then you have to take gear, class, race & cp into consideration, and if needed respec + take off armor and weapons to test the different morphs on eachother.

• bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I see your point :smile: you are saying numbers would be generated by heals I've received.. .but, my question is "could a dummy show healing numbers as if I were healing IT?" Maybe difficult to implement though as I would need to damage as well as heal the dummy?

thank you for the clarification, because i originally thought you were more interested in dd skills/passives that worked as self heals

a dummy which dealt 1 shot AOE damage to you randomly as you damaged it, this could be useful to healers! because maybe the DDs would finally learn to stop standing in the stupid & then blaming the healers!

a resuscitation dummy could be introduced, and could for sure help healers to check their rotations/capabilities up to a certain point. but to be a true 'test for healers' it was also need to stand in afore mentioned stupid while demanding magic/stamina/spell breach/cleanse every 5 seconds
    (is it obvious that i have a healer?)

but if the current dummies could be healed then when someone is doing a 'dps' test with a small team ie tank debuffing, healer proccing spc etc the healer would also be healing the dummy making the dd's test invalid/impossible
  • Ozstryker
    Ozstryker
    ✭✭✭✭

thank you for the clarification, because i originally thought you were more interested in dd skills/passives that worked as self heals

a dummy which dealt 1 shot AOE damage to you randomly as you damaged it, this could be useful to healers! because maybe the DDs would finally learn to stop standing in the stupid & then blaming the healers!

Interesting.... This could be useful for all roles.. I imagine PVP'ers would enjoy the chance at testing their self heals also (coagulating blood would be the first I'd test!).
    Valid suggestion :wink:
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, somebody else who does this! I love practicing as a healer at dolmens as long as the number of players remains between 2-7 or so. Too few and my healer gets dragged into dps. Too many and there's no healing to do and baddies melt before you can even get a debuff on them. The totally disorganized requirement to 'react' to unknown players/styles is a fun challenge. Sometimes I farm for purple jewelry sets and practicing the healing while there works pretty well.

I did join a friend who has a training dummy at her house and my little healer just wanted to heal the poor dummy back up. Lol. Seriously, I think it would be fun to run 'against' my dps friend - let her dps while I heal the dummy and see if she could kill it or I could keep it alive. Okay, kidding. Sort of. :)
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are several problems with the testing dummies. For example using heavy armour is impossible to gauge since the Wrath passive and the Constitution passive both require you to take damage to activate. So you don't get the extra sp/we damage nor do you get the extra sustain.

They should really improve them a bit. They feel not well thought out to me.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It is intended and cannot easily be rectified.

I have never seen a test dummy have a setting that did damage for testing healing done. In reality it would be pointless as it could not create a worthy scenario to push healing and be able to see healing done or more importantly, effective healing done.

In fact, a healer could practice their rotation without the dummy sans skills like ele drain and such at any time. But actual raid damage and pressure are required to really push the healer vs a dps just needing to practice a rotation or test a new rotation.