Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Damn hard to finish lv 40-50 in crafting

ChaosWotan
ChaosWotan
✭✭✭✭✭
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but levelling 1-40 in blacksmithing, woodwork and clothing was tolerable, but when I got to lv 40 the increase in IP suddenly got very slow, despite having 9/10 in the first passive. My main has crafting at max, but got 8 alts, and really hope there is a way to level 40-50 more quickly.

Just got my first vet alt to crafting lv 50, but it took ages to decon the ruby 160 gear I had farmed in public dungeons, and it cost like 12k gold (or more) to buy intricate gear at 200 gold per piece in guild stores. Now got seven more vet alts to go. How can one make it quicker to finish the last ten levels in crafting metal, woodwork and clothing? Does it help to put skill points in all the passives, or is it enough to have 9/10 in the first passive?
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'd consider putting a few points in the decon passive. Getting more mats/tempers from deconning items isn't a bad thing.

If you play more than once character, bank the drops you get, then decon them on one character for leveling until they are max level.
  • ChaosWotan
    ChaosWotan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will skill points in decon passive also increase inspiration points?

Did try farming gear with one alt, putting it in the bank, and then use another alt to decon it, but didnt notice any increase in IP. Deconing intricate gear from guild stores is much more effective, but expensive. It will prb cost 100k gold to level all my 8 vet alts in crafting.

Finishing lv1-40 was a steady and relatively quick process, but why is it that progress becomes much slower at lv 40, despite having enough skill points in the first passive? And the next level is not 45 but 50, so it takes a long time.

Another problem is that crafting writs can require a lot of mats at lv40-50, making it very expensive to buy mats which seem to be relatively hard to find in the guild stores, at least that was my experience the last two days in Mournhold, Rawhkla and Crag.
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a reason you want your alts at beyond rank 32 for crafting(writs, et cetera)? You said your main was at max, so you have a master crafter. If the reason is writs(that's mine), I'd honestly suggest taking all your gold, and boosting one toon at a time. I did this shortly before homestead launched mainly through guild stores.

My criteria of 'would I buy it' was:
    150-160 CP
    Gold I was willing to spend:
    175g: green
    200g: blue
    220: Intricate/purple. Metal purples I would go for up to 300g.

I think it cost me about 10k gold per skill line to level from 40-50.

If you don't want to spend gold:
    Farm up a TON of high-end matts, craft them into bows/daggers/belts. Improve up to green. Send for deconstruction.

In general, you'd be better off selling the matts you'd use and just buy the 175-220g gear off the AH.

It might seem like this will take a lot of gold, but if you sell the gold tempers you get, you'll make it back within a week or two.
    Edited by Jaeysa on February 20, 2017 1:43PM
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • ChaosWotan
    ChaosWotan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main reason is writs, and to get as much gold tempers and surveys from the writs as possible. Read that higher writs provide a better chance of getting gold tempers, right? So I want all my alts to have lv50 in crafting if that is the case.

The usual price for white intricate gear in guild stores is now around 200 gold per item. Will check now whether green, blue or purple non-intricate items will give more IP.

Thanks for advice! :)
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO+ and the CP passive star helps.

Otherwise it's basically farm loads on a C160 char, bank it all, break it all, repeat.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • ChaosWotan
    ChaosWotan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got ESO+ and the cp passives :)

By the way, would not have asked about this if I was relatively new to the game, but at 599 cp, and having done most of the quests, many several times, it's a real chore now to level eigth vet alts to become master crafters. Have always focused on combat, but if I had known that crafting is the highway to becoming a millionaire, and that crafting is central after Homestead, I would have semi-retired my warriors and become a happy guild salesperson a long time ago.

But at least it's not as bad as levelling an alt through v1 to v16 a year ago or so.

ESO needs a Grind Master title :)
  • medusasfolly
    medusasfolly
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know if I'd agree with "hard" as much as "tedious". It's just a matter of having enough things to deconstruct. I agree with ChaosWotan about farming on your higher chars and then passing the deconstructible items to your lower level crafters via the bank. However, in reading your last comment, it seems that all your chars are high level already. So here are a few of my suggestions:

• Try farming in an area that drops popular set items, sell the divines, inpen and infused and and then deconstruct everything else. Kills two birds with one stone.
    • Loot all the weapons in Cold Harbor, upgrade them to green and then deconstruct them. (note: deconstructing looted items without upgrading them is a worthless waste of time as they provide the barest minimum of inspiration) This is good if you have tons of green level upgrade mats and nothing to use them on.
    • Check your guild offerings. I'm a member of a trade guild and we always include intricates (lots that include upwards of 70 items for each craft branch) and glyphs (like over 100 in one lot) in our weekly auctions. Even if you don't belong to a trade guild that does this, check with your friends and see if their guilds do. If so, see if they'll place a proxy bid for you. (warning, make sure your mailbox is clear because when you win one of these, it'll over flow fast).
    • Check with your guild mates. Most dungeon delving players that have no interest in crafting also have no interest in the intricates they pick up in their runs. Make it know that you will take any and all items via mail - and announce this prior to any organized runs. There will be people that will be thankful to unload their backpack during a trial or dungeon run.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    40 to 50 is a grind if your in hurry. Intricates are the best for getting through this slog. Or, farm public dungeons/grind spots for mob loot to mass decon.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't spend points in passives just to level crafting faster...nothing in there will help much.

I take a "two birds with one stone" approach. I run delves for the sky shards when a character needs them, and this typically returns tons of gear. You can stack mage/undaunted/wrothgar/Gold Coast delve dailies for extra gear and xp.

Daily writs are also very helpful...they return a lot of intricate gear. Yes they are expensive if you're buying mats. However, they pay $600 for completion. Therefore, if a daily takes about 60 mats to complete, your break even point is 2,000 gold per stack. If you spend less than that on mats, you're actually making gold. If mats are more than this, then you have to decide what's more valuable...and consider the purple and gold mats you're getting. My rough estimate has been that the true break even point is $6,000 per stack of 200 - if I sell off the golds and purples then I'm making money as long as I stay under this price.

My advice to players who want multi toon crafters is always just take it slow. Grinding on multiple characters fast is tedious. Go play...run delves formshards...run dungeons for skill points...dump everything in the bank to have the crafter-of-the-day deconstruct, and the lines go up fast enough.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChaosWotan wrote: »

ESO needs a Grind Master title :)

That's already in the game ... Grand Master Crafting Harvester.

(Comes with a nice red dye as well ...)

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Grand_Master_Crafting_Harvester
  • ChaosWotan
    ChaosWotan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tnx for good advice, especially to upgrade all decon gear from white to green, and farm Coldharbour.

In general also agree that it is best to level crafting as you go questing and stuff, if you are relatively new to the game. But we old grinders, with 600 cp, have finished most things in the game, so I like to do it quick, now that trading is my new goal in the game.

Edited by ChaosWotan on February 21, 2017 8:31PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tnx for good advice, especially to upgrade all decon gear from white to green, and farm Coldharbour.

I tested this recently, and you get like 10% more Inspiration. Sure, it's a boost, and if your swimming in Green Tempers, go for it, but it's not going to dramatically increase the speed at which this happens.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• GilGalad
    GilGalad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another easy and pretty cheap solution is stealing gear (e.g. in Eldenroot around the wayshrine and in the fighters guild) then launder and deconstruct it. If you sell the mats from deconstructing you might even end up with a slight profit. After laundering the items will provide full inspiration(prob similar to upgrading) plus you level legerdemain on all these chars.
    Animals Unchained | PC EU
    Homestead Theorycrafting
    Math of RNG
  • Darkestnght
    Darkestnght
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leveling crafting to 50 really does not take that long if you kill everything you come across. Spend a day killing everything and the drops you get should get you quite away to level 50.
    Xbox NA - CP1300+
    Xbox EU - CP400+

• Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wonder what you mean when you say it takes too long? I created an alt on Jan 1 that is at 50 in all but wood and enchanting (47 & 41). I didn't even push hard to do this since I have a master crafter and 5 other alts at 50 in everything. All I do is decon, and until Homestead, it was only blue and higher. I sell intricates, since players like you buy them. My only secret is all my alts get 160 gear. If you can get 160 gear, it goes very fast, even enchanting.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • ChaosWotan
    ChaosWotan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People have different views about what is "fast", naturally. From the viewpoint of somebody who has just begun the game, or is half-way through it, I will agree ofc that levelling crafting is quick enough. It's all good as long as you have enough quests left to finish.

But at 600 cp, with 9 vet toons, and a lot of grinding to get there, it was not exactly fun to discover that I had to use around 4-5 hours of very effective grinding in a public dungeon just to get one alt from lv 20 to 40, in blacksmithing, woodwork and clothing. And spend like 20k on intricate gear in the guild stores too.

I guess I will need like 1-2 weeks to level the next 6 alts to become master crafters, doing nothing but grinding. And that is rather tedious, more of a chore, and not much entertainment relatively speaking, when I already know all the main quests very well, and only need a few zones with the minor quests in order to complete the game. This is 1-2 weeks I could have used on pvp.

Now, you don't have to tell me that this is a MMO and that things take time in a RPG. I know that. Started with D&D in the 80s, so know how RPGs work. So I'm not really whining here. Just telling it kind of feels "damn tedious" to level 8 alts to become master crafters when one is almost at the end of the game, and just doing it while I wait for new DLCs. And that's why I asked for some advice about how to do it quicker :)

At least grinding gives me something to do while waiting for ESO to create new content.

Edited by ChaosWotan on February 22, 2017 10:22AM
  • Cherryblossom
    Cherryblossom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but levelling 1-40 in blacksmithing, woodwork and clothing was tolerable, but when I got to lv 40 the increase in IP suddenly got very slow, despite having 9/10 in the first passive. My main has crafting at max, but got 8 alts, and really hope there is a way to level 40-50 more quickly.

Just got my first vet alt to crafting lv 50, but it took ages to decon the ruby 160 gear I had farmed in public dungeons, and it cost like 12k gold (or more) to buy intricate gear at 200 gold per piece in guild stores. Now got seven more vet alts to go. How can one make it quicker to finish the last ten levels in crafting metal, woodwork and clothing? Does it help to put skill points in all the passives, or is it enough to have 9/10 in the first passive?

@ChaosWotan

If the toon is max level, then run around a Public dungeon and decon everything you get. I hit 50 from 0 in 3 days, in Wood, cloth and blacksmith.... The hardest is still enchanting.
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GilGalad wrote: »
    Another easy and pretty cheap solution is stealing gear (e.g. in Eldenroot around the wayshrine and in the fighters guild) then launder and deconstruct it. If you sell the mats from deconstructing you might even end up with a slight profit. After laundering the items will provide full inspiration(prob similar to upgrading) plus you level legerdemain on all these chars.

One issue with that method is that the vast majority of stolen gear items will be absolute garbage and give you next to no inspiration and no items from deconning at all. (You can tell which items are awful because they come up as worth 0 gold in your inventory). True, you do luck into some green items, but they're hardly worth the time it takes to throw out all the 0 gold white ones you pick up this way.

This strategy used to be much more lucrative, but they nerfed the stats on stolen gear at some point, so... yeah.
    Edited by BlackSparrow on February 22, 2017 1:31PM
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People have different views about what is "fast", naturally. From the viewpoint of somebody who has just begun the game, or is half-way through it, I will agree ofc that levelling crafting is quick enough. It's all good as long as you have enough quests left to finish.

But at 600 cp, with 9 vet toons, and a lot of grinding to get there, it was not exactly fun to discover that I had to use around 4-5 hours of very effective grinding in a public dungeon just to get one alt from lv 20 to 40, in blacksmithing, woodwork and clothing. And spend like 20k on intricate gear in the guild stores too.

I guess I will need like 1-2 weeks to level the next 6 alts to become master crafters, doing nothing but grinding. And that is rather tedious, more of a chore, and not much entertainment relatively speaking, when I already know all the main quests very well, and only need a few zones with the minor quests in order to complete the game. This is 1-2 weeks I could have used on pvp.

Now, you don't have to tell me that this is a MMO and that things take time in a RPG. I know that. Started with D&D in the 80s, so know how RPGs work. So I'm not really whining here. Just telling it kind of feels "damn tedious" to level 8 alts to become master crafters when one is almost at the end of the game, and just doing it while I wait for new DLCs. And that's why I asked for some advice about how to do it quicker :)

At least grinding gives me something to do while waiting for ESO to create new content.

If you dislike grinding as much as farming, just farm up a ton of raw materials, sell them raw(or refine and sell the tempers). Right now is a perfect time for it because the homestead items are still worth a pretty penny. Then buy the items from guild traders. Way more worth your time than just grinding things, and you won't get a ton of items you don't need(I know I end up not needing cloth as much as wood/metal items.
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • GilGalad
    GilGalad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GilGalad wrote: »

One issue with that method is that the vast majority of stolen gear items will be absolute garbage and give you next to no inspiration and no items from deconning at all. (You can tell which items are awful because they come up as worth 0 gold in your inventory). True, you do luck into some green items, but they're hardly worth the time it takes to throw out all the 0 gold white ones you pick up this way.

This strategy used to be much more lucrative, but they nerfed the stats on stolen gear at some point, so... yeah.

That's why I wrote you have to launder it before deconstructing. After laundering they give full inspiration and materials. The costs for laundering are less than the worth of the materials after deconstructing.
    Animals Unchained | PC EU
    Homestead Theorycrafting
    Math of RNG