The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Disabling Red Glow for Enemy AoE skills?

switch_deftwind
Hello! I've disabled combat cues and target glow, as I really enjoy the beautiful animations and effects, and the red stuff naturally grabs all of my animal perception and I can't appreciate the art. It's working wonderfully, but every once in a while I'll come upon a powerful enemy (For instance, Lich from minor daedric portals), and they'll use really interesting AoE skills, but rather than be able to see the particle effects and determine the character of the bad stuff all over the ground, the red glow dominates.

Basically, is there any any any way at all to disable this? I assume from a design standpoint having those markers always enabled allows for it to be used in specific scripted instances to convey some sort of critical information that might be off camera at a couple points in the quests, but the game's so good I'd totally enjoy being killed by a random cannonball or whatever

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance for your time!
  • Surragard
    Surragard
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know of a way to disable this using the game's normal settings. I don't play with mods so I can't tell you if there's a mod for this but someone else may be able to chime in on that. You should know that not all bosses have a "cue" prior to their attack (other than the red circle(s) appearing) so you may put yourself at a disadvantage in combat by disabling this.
    I don't always drink Skooma, but when I do I go to the Southwall Corner Club. May you walk on warm sands my friends.
  • switch_deftwind
    Totally, and I'm 100% ok with that. I would prefer to get owned than to have a really hard enemy that uses 'Red Magic', it gets boring hahaa. Yeah took a look, couldnt find any mods at all on it either. Thanks for the reply though!
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't log in to check right now, obviously, but isn't there a 'battle cue' option in the Gameplay section of the Settings that affects this?
  • switch_deftwind
    nope. it affects many of the red glow things, but not aoe ground indicators, enemy is noticing you and about to engage indicators, a couple other places

interestingly enough, i've noticed since that the aoe indicators are visible in promotional material put out by zenimax as well, even when they themselves have disabled the combat cues for the trailer recordings. so likely that these indicators are hard-coded unique instances, put in early in prototyping, that were never passed over on pass 3 or 4+ to be plugged into the back end of the 'combat cues' menu option.

hopefully if anyone else is trying to find an answer they find this as a good enough excuse to give up the quest. what can ya do.