Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Storm Atronachs...ugh..

NocturnalGuideMe
NocturnalGuideMe
✭✭✭
So because i chose to play a NB assassin build, i cant complete quests that have anything to do with Storm Atronachs...like wut.

Its not so bad that they are immune to stun, and they see through my shadowy disguise so no crit strike, but they fact that they have so much HP and can do 10k+ damage in one move is just stupid.
Im now stuck on a meager side quest involving collecting one of each atronach essence (got frost and flame easy) and trouble completing rescue Vanus Galerion because i take wave after wave of Daedra and then 2 storm atronachs appear from a portal along with a few daedric mages (who i can two-shot after weaving around atronachs). ive tried everything in my arsenal to even take down one of them (and get a paltry bonus of health from killers blade or Grim Focus womp womp) but between two its impossible. i dont understand why all content cant be approached solo and i thought dungeons were scaled off my level?

if i have to constantly change armor and buff stats as i level just to keep up, then i should be able to eventually take on monsters solo and stand some kind of chance or develop some strategy.
i had to rage-quit after 15 consecutive losses and my armor was trashed (little red helmet icon yelling at me my stuffs broken), and now grinding it out to get better armor and all, but came across one and couldnt even take one on one. Dont know what to do. im at my wits end.
Edited by NocturnalGuideMe on February 15, 2017 2:32AM
Dar'Dek Do'Tenurr
Khajiiti Stamina Nightblade
Master Thief, Dark Brotherhood Executioner, Former Dro m'Athra Shade
  • Tempah
    Tempah
    ✭✭✭
    Funnel health? or something like that.?
    Dro'mathra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Immortal Redemeer, Tick Tock Tormentor, The Unchained, Exstinguisher of Flames, Flawless Conqueror
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure you have your own heal or shield of some time, I always got by with Swallow Soul.

Fight them at range if you can, then you have ample time to dodge their lighting attack, you can additionally interrupt that attack
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm...I don't know if I remember that quest. Coldharbour? If it's that one, it's a pain. Being a nightblade is rough until you get vigor. Then it's still rough, just a little less, lol.

Piercing mark helps on an extended fight like that...the heal is pretty big if you can drop the marked target. Plus you'll do like 10% more damage to the mark.

Major brutality would be nice. If you use a 2h, rally is the best source. If you don't, flying blade/shrouded daggers from dual does the trick. If you don't have that either, make/get a potion that's a little better than what you pick up in the world. Blessed thistle..drwgonthorn...water hyacinth/wormwood. That'll give you the weapon damage plus weapon crit plus stam recovery. Drink one right before you start the fight and throughout.

If you have a slot on your attack bar to spare, use camo hunter. It's useless in the fight, but it will up your crit by about 12%. That's approx 6% more hitting power.

When all else fails, I equip a bow and run away like a freak while light attacking to keep them from resetting, lol.
  • NocturnalGuideMe
    NocturnalGuideMe
    ✭✭✭
    trust me, ive tried every wway i can think of.

Ranged poison and mark target with grim focus has gotten me close, Spam Ambush and interupt, combination of both but switching leaves me open to attacks for that split second they summon a Hurricane or whatever does the 14k damage, nothing seems to phase them, and even so, im down to 10% health even if i get one, nevermind the 2. too bad you cant stack potions. the cyrodil ones i get at my level have got me through a pinch.

whats the fastest way to unlock Vigor? Ive heard thats a good one to have on a back bar for a Stamblade. and for PvP.

i even tried waiting for someone else to run in to help like ive done in some dungeon and Outpost scenarios but noone seems to appear, which makes me wonder if its a solo quest and if so What Gives?

Zos and Bethesda spend all this time making a new class thats basically the same as sorcerer, and spent time switching around abilities to "make it easier for new players", yet cant address the over powered baddies for classes that, while fun as hell to play have signifigant weakness, and no straqtegy to beat them.

i understand NB is toughest to play, but i love it and i like how sometimes im forced to laugh when i get wrecked bad and have to GIT GUD.jpeg and devlop some strategy.

but man this is frustrating.

Dar'Dek Do'Tenurr
  • Lashiing
    Lashiing
    ✭✭✭
    get vigor
    put on decent sets
    profit

even assassins need heals
    PC/NA ― Dancing Jesters

AD – Khajiit Nightblade – Dps – lucif'r
    AD – Altmer Sorcerer – Dps – Trove Scamp
    AD – Dunmer Dragonknight – Dps – Lashiing
    AD – Altmer Templar – Dps – Six-teen
    DC – Redguard Sorcerer – Dps – Cunnїng Scamp

vMA • vDSA • vAA HM • vHRC HM • vSO HM • vMoL
  • NocturnalGuideMe
    NocturnalGuideMe
    ✭✭✭
    @Lashiing bathing in the blood of my enemies and their immediate family members doesnt count?
    Dar'Dek Do'Tenurr
  • Syrani
    Syrani
    ✭✭✭✭
    Interrupt that attack they do that sends out lightning waves. You will see the red lines coming out of the atro, and that's when you interrupt. If you are not close enough to interrupt in time, move back further and avoid the waves he sends out. That's what makes them a tough opponent, and if you eliminate that threat, you shouldn't have a problem.
  • GilGalad
    GilGalad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could try the soul tether ultimate if you have it unlocked - it deals good dmg and heals you. The heals should be enough to keep you alive.
    Apart from that you could use rally from the 2 hand skill line as a heal if you have that unlocked.
    Animals Unchained | PC EU
    Homestead Theorycrafting
    Math of RNG
  • Metafae
    Metafae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to guess, you're a stamina nightblade. you should be using dualwield and bow.

The first skill in DW (Flurry) has a morph called Bloodthirst which provides a decent heal at the end of the channel. This will heal you enough to do anything really.

Vigor is easy to get these days, just do PvP for a while until you unlock it. You'll get some extra skill points while you're at it.

If you use a Two Handed weapon, you should be using Rally for the heal over time and Burst heal when you re-cast it mid duration.

If you're using a Bow, there is now a skill called Draining Shot that will give you a burst heal at the end of it's duration, it's not exactly ideal when you need a heal in a pinch though.
    Edited by Metafae on February 14, 2017 12:06AM
  • NocturnalGuideMe
    NocturnalGuideMe
    ✭✭✭
    GilGalad wrote: »
    You could try the soul tether ultimate if you have it unlocked - it deals good dmg and heals you. The heals should be enough to keep you alive.
    Apart from that you could use rally from the 2 hand skill line as a heal if you have that unlocked.

i use soul tether, but stacking ultimate is hard.

and like i said, one vs two Strom Atronassholes is virtually impossible.

Dar'Dek Do'Tenurr
  • NocturnalGuideMe
    NocturnalGuideMe
    ✭✭✭
    Metafae wrote: »
    I'm going to guess, you're a stamina nightblade. you should be using dualwield and bow.

The first skill in DW (Flurry) has a morph called Bloodthirst which provides a decent heal at the end of the channel. This will heal you enough to do anything really.

Vigor is easy to get these days, just do PvP for a while until you unlock it. You'll get some extra skill points while you're at it.

If you use a Two Handed weapon, you should be using Rally for the heal over time and Burst heal when you re-cast it mid duration.

If you're using a Bow, there is now a skill called Draining Shot that will give you a burst heal at the end of it's duration, it's not exactly ideal when you need a heal in a pinch though.

yeah dual wield and bow is what ive been running.

im not sure of what morphs i have but i usually keep steel tornado on my bar to level dual wield so it wouldnt be anything to try it out if i havent already morphed it.
    ill look into vigor, i still dont really get PvP soloing lol

i rage quit out of the quest and now im roaming the Reapers March to try and grind out lvl 50 and some better gear. soon as it shows 5 stars in my charcter menu ill try again. lol

Tsl0wXsKDiu7S.gif
    Dar'Dek Do'Tenurr
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syrani wrote: »
    Interrupt that attack they do that sends out lightning waves. You will see the red lines coming out of the atro, and that's when you interrupt. If you are not close enough to interrupt in time, move back further and avoid the waves he sends out. That's what makes them a tough opponent, and if you eliminate that threat, you shouldn't have a problem.

This ^ you gotta bash the red sparks, which means fighting them in melee range, unless you have a ranged interrupt. Bind bash to one button, it makes it much easier to execute a bash this way. Also stack dots on them; so cast 2 ground based aoe dots on their location before you go ham with your single target damage, and refresh the dots if they expire.
    PC | EU
  • NocturnalGuideMe
    NocturnalGuideMe
    ✭✭✭

This ^ you gotta bash the red sparks, which means fighting them in melee range, unless you have a ranged interrupt. Bind bash to one button, it makes it much easier to execute a bash this way. Also stack dots on them; so cast 2 ground based aoe dots on their location before you go ham with your single target damage, and refresh the dots if they expire.

still getting wrecked. now its not just storm atros, it basically seems to be a "big boss at the end of a quest" theme.

idk im so frustrated and i think all the time i put into this build and charcter and its weak as hell. ill never make it to VR this way...

im scared of anything with one gold bracket on its health bar
    Edited by NocturnalGuideMe on February 14, 2017 3:56AM
    Dar'Dek Do'Tenurr
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭

still getting wrecked. now its not just storm atros, it basically seems to be a "big boss at the end of a quest" theme.

idk im so frustrated and i think all the time i put into this build and charcter and its weak as hell. ill never make it to VR this way...

The solo quest bosses can be really tough, nothing to be ashamed of. The only advice I can give you is to hit cp160 first, gear up in all max rank gear sets that compliment your playstyle, and then try again. Stam NB is a hard class to solo pve with as you can't heal by doing damage afaik. Sorcs, templars and dks can all heal themselves by doing damage meaning they can just keep doing damage while taking some damage. The reason I say hit cp160 first is so you can focus on gearing up without wasting effort, you don't really want to grind gear more than once. You need gear that is at your level to make the most of the combat system, if you're level 45 wearing level 30 gear the game will penalise you with low stats.

If you happen to be PC EU I could craft you some gear of your choice at your current level. My in game name is the same as my forum name, just pm me in game if you want help. I have an NA toon too but he can only craft light and heavy armour in limited amounts atm.
    PC | EU
  • NocturnalGuideMe
    NocturnalGuideMe
    ✭✭✭

The solo quest bosses can be really tough, nothing to be ashamed of. The only advice I can give you is to hit cp160 first, gear up in all max rank gear sets that compliment your playstyle, and then try again. Stam NB is a hard class to solo pve with as you can't heal by doing damage afaik. Sorcs, templars and dks can all heal themselves by doing damage meaning they can just keep doing damage while taking some damage. The reason I say hit cp160 first is so you can focus on gearing up without wasting effort, you don't really want to grind gear more than once. You need gear that is at your level to make the most of the combat system, if you're level 45 wearing level 30 gear the game will penalise you with low stats.

If you happen to be PC EU I could craft you some gear of your choice at your current level. My in game name is the same as my forum name, just pm me in game if you want help. I have an NA toon too but he can only craft light and heavy armour in limited amounts atm.

Thank you for your help.

Im actually on Xbox NA so whomp whomp :neutral:

yeah thats what i was trying to do was grind up to CP160 but in doing so im doing all these quests that leave me flustered after trying to deal with the bosses.

What are some good ways to get myself there? Am currently Lvl 46.
    Dar'Dek Do'Tenurr
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for your help.

yeah thats what i was trying to do was grind up to CP160 but in doing so im doing all these quests that leave me flustered after trying to deal with the bosses.

Depends how low you're willing to stoop ;) All the effective ways involve grinding unfortunately. If you can find a good dolmen grind that will get you there quickly, as will grinding in public dungeons. Personally I love to use crown experience scrolls, but I have disposable income that I realise I'm fortunate to have. Once you hit level 50 you will immediately get 10cp and then after that they roll in very quickly.

I think the dolmen grind might offer the most xp but you will need a fast mount to make it to each dolmen in time. I like the dolmens in malabal tor; they usually activate anti-clockwise, but 2 of them are about a minute ride from the wayshrine so if you have a slow mount you might not make it. Safest way is to just run loops in any public dungeon, might as well make it one that drops a set you want. If you have a friendly experienced guildie you could ask them to show you the skyreach grind, it's possible solo but only if you're comfortable with your survivability.

Lastly you could look for some stam nb gameplay vids on youtube, you might pick up some tips :)
    PC | EU
  • NocturnalGuideMe
    NocturnalGuideMe
    ✭✭✭

Thank you for your help.

Depends how low you're willing to stoop ;) All the effective ways involve grinding unfortunately. If you can find a good dolmen grind that will get you there quickly, as will grinding in public dungeons. Personally I love to use crown experience scrolls, but I have disposable income that I realise I'm fortunate to have. Once you hit level 50 you will immediately get 10cp and then after that they roll in very quickly.

I think the dolmen grind might offer the most xp but you will need a fast mount to make it to each dolmen in time. I like the dolmens in malabal tor; they usually activate anti-clockwise, but 2 of them are about a minute ride from the wayshrine so if you have a slow mount you might not make it. Safest way is to just run loops in any public dungeon, might as well make it one that drops a set you want. If you have a friendly experienced guildie you could ask them to show you the skyreach grind, it's possible solo but only if you're comfortable with your survivability.

Lastly you could look for some stam nb gameplay vids on youtube, you might pick up some tips :)

ahh i see. okay off to the public dungeons it is!
    im not oppose to grinding i just figured i might really not have to worry about it if i was contiuning the story.
    but ill be dedicating a few hours tonight to grinding through a few Dolmens and dungeons.

Dar'Dek Do'Tenurr
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buck up, soldier...we don't give up in our platoon, we give back. Ugh. I'd be a horrid drill sergeant.

Vigor requires 85k AP earned. You probably want to go 100k AP because caltrops rules for a stamblade too. Play big keep defenses. With update 13 the resource capture repeatables go to 1000 AP...not bad. Go spend a bunch of gold on wall repairs and work toward it. Join a Zerg.

Whirling blades is a great ability...but not for this fight. You don't get enough from it. Alcast frequently stacks bloodthirst and blood craze on his dual wield bar...this with mark target can pump your health massively. In pve, my stamblade also kills it with shrouded daggers. It gives the major brutality, but the bounce through three targets is what creates massive dps.

I also didn't mention defensive skills before. What are you using to mitigate damage? Don't underestimate mirage. Avoiding one hit in five makes it one of the most powerful abilities for a Stamblade, plus it will probably boost your resistance by 10-20%. Shuffle is almost as good (medium armor). And don't forget the defensive ultimate - bolstering darkness. You don't need two offensive ultimates for this fight...you don't really even need one. Bolstering will reduce your incoming damage by half. I kinda forgot...it's been a while...but when my friend and I played our stamblades up a couple years back, bolstering always saved our butts in big fights.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also...now that I think about it...here's another issue. One Tamriel has made the character strength curve really, really wonky.

In the old system, a level 20 player fighting level 20 monsters was as tough as a level 40 fighting level 40s. I don't find that to be the case now. I brought two characters up to vet after One Tam, and I feel like in their 40s they get weaker and weaker. I died like five times grinding Old Orsinium...my friend did too. granted we were being lazy, but It's like One Tam gives handicaps to lower level players, and around 45-49 these drop off so much the toons get noticeably squishy and harder to play. Then they hit vet, and they're literally twice as strong.

That might be part of the problem...your character might be in the weird One Tam weak zone. Molag will wait. Maybe go play through some of the faction quests and you'll be vet in a couple of days. Then try it as a vet. I bet even with zero champion points it would be weirdly way easier as a level 50 vet than as a 49.
  • NocturnalGuideMe
    NocturnalGuideMe
    ✭✭✭
    @davey1107 drill sergant maybe not, but military coordinator and battle consult definitely.

yeah i tried getting to the faction quests and got stuck again so maybe your on to something. i spent till 4am doing a dolmen/group boss grind loop in Malbal Tor to get myself to level 48. so im close.

my plan was to try again at level 50 and in the mean time, try not to let myself think i broke my build and will have to respec for the 4th time haha
    (i have 3 skill points stacked until i can figure out exactly what i want to do with them or what to try.)
    just spent one point of Blur to put on my bow bar and level to get either Double Take or Mirage?
    and my ulimates are Veil Of Blades and Soul Tether which i thought were defensive enough lol.
    other than that, dodge, ambush, blood craze or surprise attack for crit and major fracture, then run away and do it again. or almost had luck with mark target, grim focus, celestial bow hit and then dodge roll poison injection/ acid spray spam. but thats one, nvm two.

this stuff is hard for a casual solo player. lotta skils and only 10 spots on the bars.
    Edited by NocturnalGuideMe on February 14, 2017 9:29PM
    Dar'Dek Do'Tenurr
  • xboxNA corin6
    xboxNA corin6
    ✭✭✭
    I remember that quest. It was really hard. My suggestion is to use your friendly NPCS. That's how I beat it. I allowed the attronachs to attack my friendlys, I'd do a big burst combo, and then run for my life for about 60 to 90 seconds, then they would return to attacking the npcs.
    I'm a magsorc
  • NocturnalGuideMe
    NocturnalGuideMe
    ✭✭✭
    @xboxNA corin6 thats what i was doing and how i survived all the other waves. the healer kicks the bucket hard once the storm atronachs come out. it wouldnt be so bad if i had a healer doing their job.

one more level till 50 and ill try again
    Dar'Dek Do'Tenurr
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBs are squishy: it's a fact of ESO life. Nothing has taught me the game better than playing a stamblade as my main. You have to learn the game, otherwise you die.

I live off Bloodthirst, the DW Flurry morph. It heals and does decent damage. I love Steel Tornado, but the problem is it draws a lot of aggro to you and doesn't heal you. Bloodthirst heals.

I spend most boss fights just strafing circles around the boss and spamming flurry. Never really had a problem with storm atronachs, because they don't do anything you can't dodge or interrupt. Just keep strafing sideways around them, and they rarely even hit you.

(No, the one I struggle with is the freaking Watchers. Hate their undodgeable Beam of Doom. XD )
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • NocturnalGuideMe
    NocturnalGuideMe
    ✭✭✭
    @BlackSparrow Watchers are the only reason Ive been leveling my Bow bar haha. Bob and Weave!

hmm i was using flurry for awhile but i hit that lull in lvl20-30 where you start to notice how the low level buffs are wearing off and how your out leveling your armor quickly.

maybe ill try it again and put it on the bar in place of steel tornado, because that doesnt do a thing for me except in quest 3 on 1's and dungeons and dolmens where your basicaly trying to hit everything to get XP fr the kill :tongue:
    still two of my favorite skills
    Dar'Dek Do'Tenurr
  • mariskaas
    mariskaas
    ✭✭✭
    My NB is a tank so it hasn't died in forever, but I use swallow soul and structured entropy (from mages guild skilline). And i have a resto staff equipped for emergency heals but you probably won't do that. So eat food which increases health, have a potion ready and maybe try to weave flurries with heavy attacks? Also veil of blades ultimate is helpful.
  • NocturnalGuideMe
    NocturnalGuideMe
    ✭✭✭
    mariskaas wrote: »
    My NB is a tank so it hasn't died in forever, but I use swallow soul and structured entropy (from mages guild skilline). And i have a resto staff equipped for emergency heals but you probably won't do that. So eat food which increases health, have a potion ready and maybe try to weave flurries with heavy attacks? Also veil of blades ultimate is helpful.

yeah im glad i made this post.
    now im running Mirage and Bloodthirst on my bar and i seem much more surviable. Mark Target im really worried about the boss. food or potion if i have it to give me a bigger health bar, slot a stamina potion and Spamspamspamspamspamspamspam dontdiedontdiedontdie spamspamspamspamspam
    still on the verge of dying but all i care is completing the quest.

"They dont ask what they looked like, they just ask how many"- Wayne Gretzsky

i had gotten out of that playstyle of run in and stabstabstab, but its still fun. especially not dying.
    i more like the ambush>surprise attack>Shadowy disguise> spam Surprise attack rotation but thats me :blush:
    rolling around on the floor everywhere.

Dar'Dek Do'Tenurr
  • Runschei
    Runschei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds bad D:

Don't you have any friends and/or guildies that can tag along? I would gladly help out but I'm PC EU, not xbox NA
  • NocturnalGuideMe
    NocturnalGuideMe
    ✭✭✭
    Runschei wrote: »
    Sounds bad D:

Don't you have any friends and/or guildies that can tag along? I would gladly help out but I'm PC EU, not xbox NA

not really. i just joined te guilds im in for trading. im sure i could ask, but i kinda just like being solo and all.
    although hows that working out for me?
    ive got 4 open quests that cant be complete vcuz i cant survive through the last boss.

what fun is a game you have to spend days sitting on a Dolmen grinding XP jsut so you can enjoy some solo play.

idk maybe my build is broken
    #RageQuitting
    Dar'Dek Do'Tenurr