The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)

Warning for Imperial edition owners: master writs vs Imperial style

sylvy_gene
sylvy_gene
✭✭
If you have the Imperial edition and if (like me) your main woodworking, blacksmith, clothier crafter isnt an Imperial, fair warning. If you ever get Imperial style as a requirement, the feature ''convert to Imperial style'' isnt working.

What are your options then?

1. buy the damn motif you already paid for so your main crafter will be able to complete master writs
2. if you have an Imperial character but isnt a master crafter... level it up and farm/buy ALL the motifs AGAIN
3. create an Imperial character - level it up farm/buy ALL the motifs AGAIN

I feel cheated... to say the least.
  • llSRRll
    llSRRll
    ✭✭✭
    Its ok if your guy is an Imperial though right?
    Edited by llSRRll on February 11, 2017 6:39PM
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    llSRRll wrote: »

Sure makes me glad I found and used an Imperial motif on my Breton main back when the motif was still blue B) .
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • sylvy_gene
    sylvy_gene
    ✭✭
    llSRRll wrote: »

if your crafter is an Imperial, yes. If not, you're screwed.
  • Muramasa89
    Muramasa89
    ✭✭✭
    sylvy_gene wrote: »
    the feature ''convert to Imperial style'' isnt working.

As intended. You need to craft the item in the Imperial style, not convert it.
  • sylvy_gene
    sylvy_gene
    ✭✭
    Muramasa89 wrote: »
    the feature ''convert to Imperial style'' isnt working.

As intended. You need to craft the item in the Imperial style, not convert it.

I got the Imperial edition, not for the white horse, no... for the Imperial style access with ANY race. Thats the purpose of the convert feature and how it has been advertised. If I had known about Homestead patch and the master writ stuff when I bought it, I would have made an Imperial master crafter. So now, my Wood Elf master crafter (all professions-9 traits-all special set crafting stations discovered-95% motifs learned) is unable to craft a master writ if the style required is Imperial... ironic enough, I own the Imperial ed. I dont think its fair and hope Zos will fix this.
    Edited by sylvy_gene on February 11, 2017 11:48PM
  • inespeloazul
    inespeloazul
    ✭✭✭
    Patch notes went and said that if something is bound to your account, you can't turn it in for the Master Writ. Converting equipment into Imperial style does just that, so it stands to reason that you can't use if for the writ.

Honestly, I have the Imperial Edition and got an Imperial motif book on all my crafters anyways (I found them in drawers but it was great if someone wanted something crafted in the style), but then the main reason I got the Imperial edition was to play as an Imperial. Even way back then I knew it would be a bad idea to rely on conversion for Imperial style, since it was made clear when purchasing the Imperial edition (at least from my perspective) that conversion meant you were stuck with it.

idk, maybe it should have been more clear? A footnote in the patch notes as an example of what binds things to your account (since it mentions equipping items means you can't turn it in for the Writ reward) It sucks that a few people have already made the same mistake when wasting all those mats could have been avoided.
    Edited by inespeloazul on February 12, 2017 2:23AM
  • Muramasa89
    Muramasa89
    ✭✭✭
    I got the Imperial edition, not for the white horse, no... for the Imperial style access with ANY race. Thats the purpose of the convert feature and how it has been advertised. If I had known about Homestead patch and the master writ stuff when I bought it, I would have made an Imperial master crafter. So now, my Wood Elf master crafter (all professions-9 traits-all special set crafting stations discovered-95% motifs learned) is unable to craft a master writ if the style required is Imperial... ironic enough, I own the Imperial ed. I dont think its fair and hope Zos will fix this.

That's nice, but the point of these writs is to reward those who have gone out of their way to get lots of motifs, traits and the like. Since you did put all the effort in on another character, I guess it won't hurt much to get the Imperial motif on that too. Realistically you can just buy the required item in a different racial style, convert it to Imperial and get away with basically cheating the writ, so I'm glad it is this way.
  • UntrustedExistenz
    UntrustedExistenz
    ✭✭✭
    I have Imperial Edition and my main crafter is..female elf..just to look nice. Fuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!
    angry-man.jpg
    <PC EU>
    Press "F" to pay respect to our fallen megalulserver.
  • OutLaw_Nynx
    OutLaw_Nynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm confused... you can't craft it?
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My main crafter didn't know the Imperial style (she's Dunmer), so a long time ago, I purchased it for her, at a fairly hefty price, as I wanted to be able to craft in that style for other players, as converting an item binds it to your account, so you can't then give it to another player.

I've been fortunate enough to find 4 more Imperial motifs and purchase another for really cheap, so there are only two of my characters that don't know the style.

It's good that you posted this, as I'm sure there are others who were not aware of this.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on February 13, 2017 7:41PM
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm confused... you can't craft it?

You can ONLY craft in the Imperial style if the character is an Imperial or has learned the style from the Imperial motif book.

The option to convert an existing style to Imperial is NOT crafting - it's conversion.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I realized this back when I started the game. Started to make my first character (altmer sorc) a crafter then realized the crafter gets its own race for crafting. Saw that imperial motifs were going for 100K and immediately rolled and started leveling an Imperial DK to be my crafter instead. Fortunately I wasnt far into leveling the sorc's crafting before I realized it.
    Edited by Katahdin on February 13, 2017 8:23PM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG this is so unfair,why i cant convert the item to Imperial but i must start all over with a new toon (imperial crafter) so i can complete this master writ??

allready lost 8 rosins cause i thought just converting the item was ok

this is not the way
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    method__01 wrote: »
    OMG this is so unfair,why i cant convert the item to Imperial but i must start all over with a new toon (imperial crafter) so i can complete this master writ??

allready lost 8 rosins cause i thought just converting the item was ok

this is not the way

Go to the guild traders. Look for an Imperial Motif book. Buy it. Probably much cheaper than losing the gold tempers.

• method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    first thing i did...motif book costs 300-370k atm (Elden Root traders)

they charge us for digital upgrade for what?writs says Imperial style and thats what i did,what matter if its not crafted but converted?its the style that counts FFS
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

they charge us for digital upgrade for what?writs says Imperial style and thats what i did,what matter if its not crafted but converted?its the style that counts FFS

They were selling for about 70k in Mornhold, on console atleast.
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stopnaggin wrote: »

They were selling for about 70k in Mornhold, on console atleast.

ps4 EU,Mournhold,cheaper i found is 290k,top 400k (one minute ago)
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slightly off-topic:

Does anyone know whether knowledge of the Imperial motif counts towards the character's resume for the master writ drop itself?

I believe ZOS has said knowledge of the basic racial styles has no impact on master writ drops.

However, since the motif is not blue like the other racial motifs, I'm not sure if it counts or not ...
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    Look under crafting achievements in your journal it will show if imperial is checked for you it's with primal ancient elf etc
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The major point of the Master Crafting Writs is knowing how to craft items in rare and often expensive (in either time or gold) styles. You need to know how to craft the item requested. And Imperial style is certainly not exclusive to Imperial race crafters. Buying it is probably a lot cheaper than buying all the chapters of many other styles like Yokudan, Akaviri, Ancient Orc, etc. Yokudan Chest alone can go for more (at least on PC/NA) than the single book that lets you craft anything and everything in Imperial.
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    writ says Imperial style and i deliver an Imperial style item,lost all mats cause i decon the item and know im searching for the book or motif
    why the digital upgrade cost then?only for cosmetic reasons??

this is bs
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats the purpose of the convert feature and how it has been advertised.
    Except crafted gear has NEVER been convertible so this is nothing new, it's NEVER been 'advertised' to do what it's never done!

Edited by KerinKor on March 1, 2017 5:28PM
  • khelly
    khelly
    Soul Shriven
    I thought I was going crazy when I was converting the item to imperial and it wasn't checking off. I did it a few different ways just to find out - you can't complete the master writ if its bound. Thanks ZoS !! for not thinking completely through with Homestead patch and folks that have the Imperial edition... Or did they?
    Edited by khelly on May 22, 2017 1:00AM
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    im afraid you must buy the book for completing the master writ.this is what i did,found it after a lot of guild store searching at 175k-pc price must be lower
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• lygerseye
    lygerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't even know this was an issue until I just unlocked Morrowind. I bought the Digital CE version so I'd get the Morag Tong converter and be able to craft in that style... Went to a crafting station on my master crafter (an Imperial), and got the message that I have to learn the Morag Tong style first... Seems odd that you can convert items into a style you do not know.

Except for master writs and for the achievement completionists, what's the point of learning it if you can already convert to it?

Edit: on a side note, you can endlessly convert back and forth between Imperial and Morag Tong styles.
    Edited by lygerseye on May 22, 2017 4:05PM
  • Rainwhisper
    Rainwhisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I race change my main crafter to Imperial, will he know the Imperial style?
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lygerseye wrote: »
    Didn't even know this was an issue until I just unlocked Morrowind. I bought the Digital CE version so I'd get the Morag Tong converter and be able to craft in that style... Went to a crafting station on my master crafter (an Imperial), and got the message that I have to learn the Morag Tong style first... Seems odd that you can convert items into a style you do not know.

Except for master writs and for the achievement completionists, what's the point of learning it if you can already convert to it?

Edit: on a side note, you can endlessly convert back and forth between Imperial and Morag Tong styles.

Well, one benefit to finding and learning the style is that you can craft gear for others. When you convert to Imperial or Morag Tong it becomes bound to you.
  • O_LYKOS
    O_LYKOS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have the imperial edition you can craft in that style anyway...

Not sure I see what's wrong here. Or is it me being silly lol
    PC NA - GreggsSausageRoll
    Xbox NA - CinnamonRoll266
  • grim_tactics
    grim_tactics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This happened to me the other day.

Even if it's "working as intended" it makes 0 sense.

If you preordered this game you got the imperial class and the other goodies that came with it.

It's ridiculously redundant that I can turn everything I craft into Imperial style but to do the Motifs I have to relearn a Motif style that I can already use.

Burned a 123 writ voucher I could've sold because of this.

You can make items Imperial style but you cant make Imperial style. Typical ZOS BS at its finest.
    Edited by grim_tactics on May 30, 2017 3:25AM
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    O_LYKOS wrote: »
    If you have the imperial edition you can craft in that style anyway...

Not sure I see what's wrong here. Or is it me being silly lol

Not exactly true. Only if you choose Imperial as the race for your character. Any other race you need to find the motif to craft in Imperial style. Otherwise, you have to convert which does not work for Master Writs.