Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Vivec City During The Time of ESO

Publius_Scipio
Publius_Scipio
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
For those of us that remember Morrowind (2002) we remember the awesomeness of its sheer size. Multiple cantons with multiple levels, rooms, NPCs all over, even underground water works, etc. I know during the stream Mr. Lambert mentioned that turning the clock back 700 years meant that Vivec City is still under construction and that not every canton we remember will be there. Is this grounded in any previously known lore? Can we at this time know what to expect from the city itself size/canton wise? Or was this more of an arbitrary decision made by the devs on the scale of the city, which canton will be seen, etc?

I just hope that regardless of "construction" Vivec City will still be a sight that really catches your eye. And that it will provide a nice exploration experience.

I did notice at the end of the trailer shown during the announcement that the asteroid suspended over the city is there which is cool.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ye, it is visible that Vivec in construction. Look on the ride side of screen
    Morrowind_Screenshot5.png
  • stevepdodson_ESO888
    stevepdodson_ESO888
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those of us that remember Morrowind (2002) we remember the awesomeness of its sheer size. Multiple cantons with multiple levels, rooms, NPCs all over, even underground water works, etc. I know during the stream Mr. Lambert mentioned that turning the clock back 700 years meant that Vivec City is still under construction and that not every canton we remember will be there. Is this grounded in any previously known lore? Can we at this time know what to expect from the city itself size/canton wise? Or was this more of an arbitrary decision made by the devs on the scale of the city, which canton will be seen, etc?

I just hope that regardless of "construction" Vivec City will still be a sight that really catches your eye. And that it will provide a nice exploration experience.

I did notice at the end of the trailer shown during the announcement that the asteroid suspended over the city is there which is cool.

i think you might find that asteroid is the plot line of the story as it's not quite "suspended" there yet...more of a "holy cow what's that thing about to come crashing down on our heads"
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

i think you might find that asteroid is the plot line of the story as it's not quite "suspended" there yet...more of a "holy cow what's that thing about to come crashing down on our heads"

So the story is basically Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask.
  • Sovjet
    Sovjet
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it has a shadow on the ground that would be cool
    For every player that quits, more will join in my name - Molag Bal 2E 583
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's definitely the impression I got as well, and I hope we're right about it being a big plot point for the story because that would be very cool.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »

Doesn't look like the city will be that big. Just assuming from the picture.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't look like the city will be that big. Just assuming from the picture.
    Well, it also looks like you can't see it all from that angle, but I do expect that since it's very much under construction it won't be nearly as big as it was in TES3.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

could only reach it by levitation. and it was turned into a small prison.
    i wonder if the ministry of truth library is there at this time as well.
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Vivec is like: I'm gonna use it to make people love me for the next 700 years.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

where are you getting all of these screen shots from, this is quite the view. [if accurate] this would seem very realistic to the story timeline.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Palace, Temple, St Delyn and St Olms seem to be completed.
    Redoran, Hlaalu, Telvanni and the Arena are under construction.
    The Foreign Quarters doesn't even have a foundation at this time.

XIaIuGr.png
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

That part's not under construction. Some poor newb they left in there as a lookout heard these guys sieging the postern wall to start a 50/50 and is now using wall repair kits, which is what's making that scaffolding appear.
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I hope we can still fight Vivec. I hate that guy.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »

how do you know that ?

• Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope we can still fight Vivec. I hate that guy.

yes, i agree.
    i did enjoy killing him as well as having the new topic added to my choice of conversations with other people that ...

"i killed vivec"

and then they would be stunted in conversation momentarily and tell me to see a priest or that i need mental help"

LOL.

loved it!

Edited by Gilvoth on February 2, 2017 7:34PM
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

XIaIuGr.png

Is this actually accurate?
  • Bozrah
    Bozrah
    ✭✭✭

Baar Dau was a large moonlet sent to destroy Vivec City by the Daedric Prince, Sheogorath.[2] When Vivec saw Baar Dau falling from the sky, he merely lifted his hand and it froze above the city. Instead of destroying the meteor, Vivec decided to keep it above his city, the reason for this was so that if the people of Vivec ever stopped loving him, the meteor would descend on them and destroy them all.[3]
  • ShadowHvo
    ShadowHvo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

XIaIuGr.png

I really hope, and pray to these Cantons being built during the storyline itself. Being left only with Palace, Temple, St Delyn and St Olms will be quite depressing to say the least.

Dunmers have been waiting for long to actually get a proud and magnificent city ingame, and many really hopes for Vivec to be it.. But if half of it will be under construction, just like half of Mournhold suddenly being occupied by the Mages Guild and the Fighters Guild, then I will be sorrely disappointed, and rather depressed least to say.
    Nighren - The Shadow Striker
    Leader of Bloodlines
    -- EU --

Want to roleplay in elder scrolls online? Check out eso-rp.com
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whether or not the cantons are (will be) completed, I'm personally pleased that the city's layout looks almost exactly the same as Elder Scrolls III.

@ZOS_RichLambert evidently wasn't kidding when he said they literally loaded the Morrowind layout for this project.

Lambert was also wearing pants yesterday ... so there must have been some big announcement or something going on at ZOS ...
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Abeille wrote: »

I wonder if we would maybe be able to port to the meteorite :smiley:
    Edited by altemriel on February 2, 2017 9:42PM
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    altemriel wrote: »
    Abeille wrote: »

Only reason to do that is if it is already a prison during this time. An asteroid full of prisoners ready to hit the surface.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    altemriel wrote: »

You wouldn't have to. It's only a meteorite if it has already hit the ground. :)

The meteor's already been confirmed as a significant plot point in the sales overview (both on Amazon and the ESO Store). So if they were trying to keep that a secret, well, they should have perhaps written it more ambiguously. Strangely enough, GameStop's sale page talks more about Vivec's role...
    signing off
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I hope they look to the Vivec Restructured mod to design the interiors of the cantons. It's so much better than the default designs that the default interiors are simply not part of my personal TES headcanon.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »

That's definitely the impression I got as well, and I hope we're right about it being a big plot point for the story because that would be very cool.

2ff9eac6-f206-4d28-be99-80c466f7d1d0._SR970,300_.jpg

From amazon's description
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
    Kilith Telvayn, Dunmer Telvanni Sorcerer (main)
    Kilith, Dunmer Magblade (old main)
    Vadusa Venim, Dunmer crafter (older main)
    Hir Hlaalu, Dunmer Warden
    Søren Icehelm, N'wah Warden
    Fargoth of Morrowind, Bosmer commoner
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    On screen I linked it also no visible meteor on the west of city. Probably main plot will be:
    we travel along VVardenfell in attempt to recover Vivec's strength. In the end we will stand near him at stairs of his Temple and witness how Baar Dau will falling down and Vivec by his power will stop it in meters before it will fall on city. And since than it will levitate above city. So, in the very end it will be climax, same as when you fought Bal and used Aedric powers
    During brief advertising on main page that dissapeared soon after it was picture of Baar Dau faaling on Vivec and it was huge. It should be visible on screen if it was there already.
    @dwemer_paleologist you cant find screenshots on different sites where you purchase game. Also yo can come to Store section on this site and press to More Info of expansion. There will be listed all bonuses and several screens.
    Info about Districts in construction taken from Developer Map and datamining of russians.
    Edited by Cinbri on February 3, 2017 8:23AM
  • Cously
    Cously
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind was huge indeed. But if you stop to think about it, the vast majority of the world was empty. Maybe a mushroom here, a plant there, but let's be real: it lacked details. I can stomach and even marvel at a small scale Morrowind, provided they paint it full of details, like objects spread around here, a tent there, a group of skeletons in dubious positions, etc.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

XIaIuGr.png

Is this actually accurate?

It's from the datamined map. You can cross-reference it with the released screenshots to see that anything north of St Olms and St Delyn is still under construction.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Regarding Baar Dau, it should be visible on screens above as it big.
    PD7oLpD.png
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bozrah wrote: »

Baar Dau was a large moonlet sent to destroy Vivec City by the Daedric Prince, Sheogorath.[2] When Vivec saw Baar Dau falling from the sky, he merely lifted his hand and it froze above the city. Instead of destroying the meteor, Vivec decided to keep it above his city, the reason for this was so that if the people of Vivec ever stopped loving him, the meteor would descend on them and destroy them all.[3]

Makes sense and is 100% accurate with this pic (also shown by @MythicEmperor)
    2ff9eac6-f206-4d28-be99-80c466f7d1d0._SR970,300_.jpg

If Vivec is losing his powers, he won't be able to continue holding back the meteor forever.
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I also think that Baar Dau will remain floating above the city of Vivec after completion of the main storyline, adding so much flavor and climate to the city itself.

(Source: UESP, link below):
    Baar Dau (also known as the Ministry of Truth or Lie Rock) was a celestial rock which hovered above the city of Vivec. According to legend, it was flung from the Void (by either Sheogorath or its own malevolence, depending on the story) but was prevented from crashing into the city by the god Vivec. Vivec allowed it to remain hovering above the High Fane so that if the people of the city ever ceased to love him, the rock would fall and destroy them. Baar Dau was hollowed out by the Tribunal Temple and became the Ministry of Truth, where the Temple would imprison dissident priests and attempt to reform them. The high security prison was accessible only through levitation, and was directed by a Grand Inquisitor. The main areas were the Hall of Processing and the Prison Keep. Temple pilgrims offered levitation potions at the Shrine of Daring, which was dedicated to Vivec stopping the moon from destroying the city.

For more, check: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Baar_Dau.