The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

@ Zos How to Fix Heavy Armor

• Sugaroverdose
    Sugaroverdose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drishtan wrote: »
    Easy fix for Heavy Armor. Heavy Armor is for Tanks. Plain and Simpe

Remove the Wrath passive of stacking Weapon and Spell Damage.

Replace with something that stack up Block Cost reduction and Increasing Damage Blocked.

Add a passive to the 5pc or more passive.

THIS PASSIVE WILL REDUCE ALL OUTGOING Damage by 50% and All Outgoing Healing by 40%.

This will make it so if you where 5 pc of heavy you will not be able to damage ***, heal a raid and tank everything.

This will make ppl use more Light and Medium Armor and will fix cyrodil!
    #WrobelLogic

Just revert changes made with bracing and constitution in DB, problem solved.
    Bracing:
    Renamed this passive ability to Wrath.
    Redesigned this passive ability so it now increases your Weapon and Spell Damage by 10/20 for 6 seconds after taking damage at Ranks I/II respectively, stacking up to 10 times.
    Constitution: Increased the amount of Magicka and Stamina restored from this passive ability whenever you are hit by approximately 275%.
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavy isn't just for tanks? Have you never heard of a warrior wearing full Armor, that's what I thought
  • iRageGGB
    iRageGGB
    ✭✭✭
    lucky_Sage wrote: »
    the problem with cp is there isn't a specialization beyond physical or magick dmg
    you get sustain, dmg, and dmg reduction all in one

That was kind of my long winded point, there is too much for too little investment. Break the stuff up. Have a tree for sustain, a tree for damage, and another tree for damage reduction. For both magicka and physical so you take 2 to 4 trees and turn it into 12 so cp is spread out more and make the max benefit % from a single passive like 15% or less instead of 25%.

I shouldn't be able to get a massive increase in sustain, damage, and damage reduction from putting points into a slot without some kind of other investment. Make it to where if you want 25% more damage you have to armor slot into that, make it to where sets give you more physical/magical damage/sustain/damage reduction but never a set where it gives you all 3. The CP system needs to turn into either mundus stones or armor sets.

And if someone is wearing light armor they're weak against physical damage. Someone wearing medium is in between being weak against physical and magical damage, and wearing heavy armor is weak against magic damage.

Another issue with this game is the whole "play as you want, how you want" that it was designed around. It doesn't work in an MMO where there is PvP there needs to be more guidelines on where is effective with what weapons. It doesn't make any sense that a mage would wear slow cumbersome heavy armor and still be just as effective, or that someone could wear cloth and use a greatsword and not be severely be at a disadvantage.

There is quite a bit bad with this game, i've always said since day 1 of launch that "it's the best crappiest mmo available" meaning there isn't anything else that is similar that is better. It's crap but it's the best we got.

The Ugly Orcling - EP Orc Stam Sorc
    Thorlarex Sah'Kriid - EP Sorcerer
    Râgê - EP Dragonknight
    Serriah Sah'Kriid - DC Nightblade
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anti_Virus wrote: »
    Subversus wrote: »
    God yes. Tanks shouldn't be able to do damage period. Anyone who says otherwise needs to l2p. There isn't anything that needs debating here lol.

Nah you need to l2P
    Good point mate, awesome debate! 4/10 for trying. (You're garbage)
  • SnubbS
    SnubbS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Equipping 5pc of Heavy Armor should automatically apply Major Maim (30% dmg reduction on all abilites/procs). Time to kill needs to be high.
    Xbox NA: SnubbS
    GoW eSports player & part time ESO Pug Ball Zerger.
    GB
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SnubbS wrote: »
    Equipping 5pc of Heavy Armor should automatically apply Major Maim (30% dmg reduction on all abilites/procs). Time to kill needs to be high.

Lol 30℅ is kind of high maybe minor main would be a better start
  • Calboy
    Calboy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valencer wrote: »
    The real power of heavy armour is Constitution and this passive alone already means heavy armour gives you the most value per piece compared to medium and light armour. It doesnt scale off anything, requires no actual sustain investment in terms of set bonuses, enchantments or CP (unlike the % regen bonuses of medium and light).

Until they force heavy armour players to actually seriously invest into sustain, nothing will change.

Most heavy armour stamina builds can already sustain with 0 investment into regen. Next update magicka builds might be able to pull it off as well with the new Magickasteal debuff. Looking forward to 3 more months of tank zergs in Trueflame.

Show me a single build with zero investment into sustain that does not provide sustain issues.
  • Calboy
    Calboy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, certain classes should be allowed to invest into heavy armour while still being competitive with damage and sustain. Like a Templar and Dragonknight who are both melee range stand your ground classes.
  • Calboy
    Calboy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Replace with something that stack up Block Cost reduction and Increasing Damage Blocked.

THIS PASSIVE WILL REDUCE ALL OUTGOING Damage by 50% and All Outgoing Healing by 40%.

This will make it so if you where 5 pc of heavy you will not be able to damage ***, heal a raid and tank everything.

#WrobelLogic

Bracing:
    Redesigned this passive ability so it now increases your Weapon and Spell Damage by 10/20 for 6 seconds after taking damage at Ranks I/II respectively, stacking up to 10 times.
    Constitution: Increased the amount of Magicka and Stamina restored from this passive ability whenever you are hit by approximately 275%.

You do realise before those changes no one used heavy armour and the forums were full of people asking for buffs?
  • Adernath
    Adernath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion, balances should come step by step, for example one can think of reducing run and weapon speed the higher the armor (without any spells) gets. And then see the outcome.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its all in the proc sets. Auto Heals and auto damage is making the meta wildly insta kill vs ever-tank.
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calboy wrote: »
    The real power of heavy armour is Constitution and this passive alone already means heavy armour gives you the most value per piece compared to medium and light armour. It doesnt scale off anything, requires no actual sustain investment in terms of set bonuses, enchantments or CP (unlike the % regen bonuses of medium and light).

Until they force heavy armour players to actually seriously invest into sustain, nothing will change.

Most heavy armour stamina builds can already sustain with 0 investment into regen. Next update magicka builds might be able to pull it off as well with the new Magickasteal debuff. Looking forward to 3 more months of tank zergs in Trueflame.

Show me a single build with zero investment into sustain that does not provide sustain issues.

Lol I been running 900 recovery on my magblade and I'm fighting for days. Just stacking pure damage. I have literally no sustain issues. I couldn't even dream of doing that in light armor
  • Calboy
    Calboy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol I been running 900 recovery on my magblade and I'm fighting for days. Just stacking pure damage. I have literally no sustain issues. I couldn't even dream of doing that in light armor

No. The reason your doing that isn't because of heavy armour. It's because of siphoning strikes and you have invested via CP points.
  • Sugaroverdose
    Sugaroverdose
    ✭✭✭✭✭

#WrobelLogic

Bracing:

You do realise before those changes no one used heavy armour and the forums were full of people asking for buffs?
    A lot of people used, i am one of those who runned it since IC and it was just perfect, those who "asked for buff" just ruined it's identity and left the game right after
    Edited by Sugaroverdose on January 30, 2017 6:57AM
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No. The reason your doing that isn't because of heavy armour. It's because of siphoning strikes and you have invested via CP points.

Siphoning attacks is only a small part of it. The biggest part is I don't need to run a damage shield because wearing 6 heavy makes me very tanky. I get to be defensive while not wasting resources. there's no way for me to do that in light, I run about 1800 recovery in light. If my opponent can't make me feel pressured they can't make me waste my resources. Being able to absorb damage without wasting resources is huge for resource management. Next the about of resources you get back from a heavy attack is OP. if i get low I can just do a couple of heavy attacks and I'm back up to 40℅ magicka.
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Umm no this will kill the armor I remember the first few years of this game heavy was almost useless....

Sets are the issue not the passives.. combining heavy dps and light pen sets gives you solid damage... but not awsome...

Nerf the passives will make 90% of the sets completely useless... keep in mind light is still awsome I have a 5 light 2 heavy build that has 25k resists on my DK magicka Health is a little low about 24k but still better then my heavy build... some of the people you face out there are not in heavy ....
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Remove that bold section, please. That's a major nerf to heal tanks.
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cost of block is more then your sustain in heavy..... you get you stamina through heavy attacks... if you rely on your heavy constitution as your main source of regeneration u are misinformed

I get mine back 4 ways ... first earthen heart passive 5% everytime I cast it... earthen heart passive again for ultimate ....and red guard passive... but the biggest is heavy attack.... I have to put weapon damage across my top bar and have low crit.. I can kill but it's nothing like you think.... if I do not cancel animate I kill only the newest of players who do not heal themselves at all...

Magicka DKS already outnumber us Stam ... Magicka will be the way to go after this next patch...
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

#WrobelLogic

Bracing:

I was using heavy armor before the change, on tanks. I'm pretty sure others were using heavy armor before there were a dozen ways to have procs do all your damage for you.
    PvP tanking was wildly unpopular, and heavy armor wasn't used by very many because everyone like to pretend they're the ultimate killing machine, but heavy armor was good on tanks before it became viable as a damage setup with proc sets.
    Edited by Sandman929 on January 30, 2017 3:32PM
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sandman929 wrote: »

#WrobelLogic

Bracing:

I was using heavy armor before the change, on tanks. I'm pretty sure others were using heavy armor before there were a dozen ways to have procs do all your damage for you.
    PvP tanking was wildly unpopular, and heavy armor wasn't used by very many because everyone like to pretend they're the ultimate killing machine, but heavy armor was good on tanks before it became viable as a damage setup with proc sets.

.. and it was very under played hence why the buff ........medium and light simply out performed it... fast forward to today the heavy armor nerfs will affect Stam users disportionately... heavy will still be used but in a dfferent way magicka will dominate the field once again.... actually see more magicka DK now then stam....so after the patch pucker up folks the world of talons are in comming...
    Edited by Durham on January 30, 2017 3:39PM
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Durham wrote: »

#WrobelLogic

Bracing:

.. and it was very under played hence why the buff ........medium and light simply out performed it... fast forward to today the heavy armor nerfs will affect Stam users disportionately... heavy will still be used but in a dfferent way magicka will dominate the field once again.... actually see more magicka DK now then stam....so after the patch pucker up folks the world of talons are in comming...

Outperformed it in terms of damage? Yes. But heavy armor still offered better mitigation. If there weren't ways in the game to wear heavy armor and still have good damage (proc sets) heavy armor would still only be worn by tanks.
    Heavy armor isn't OP. Proc sets exist, and that's the problem. But ZOS is all giddy about them, so we're stuck.
  • Ragnaroek93
    Ragnaroek93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Durham wrote: »

#WrobelLogic

Bracing:

Outperformed it in terms of damage? Yes. But heavy armor still offered better mitigation. If there weren't ways in the game to wear heavy armor and still have good damage (proc sets) heavy armor would still only be worn by tanks.
    Heavy armor isn't OP. Proc sets exist, and that's the problem. But ZOS is all giddy about them, so we're stuck.

No. Heavy armor gives you so much sustain that you can stack everything into the damage. That's the problem, removing proc sets wouldn't dethrone heavy armor at all.
    I used to think that PvP was a tragedy, but now I realize, it's a comedy.
  • Valencer
    Valencer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you for real?

Im running barebones stamina regen on a 7 heavy stam DK build, besides a bloodspawn 1pc bonus. Most of the time Im perma-blocking if I get pressured (especially by multiple people) and since Im not relying on stamina regen for my sustain anyway that's not a problem at all, even with multiple people hitting me. I cant imagine this build really dying to anything in a 1v1 or anything close to that, and this build is stupidly easy to play. Im not even a damn redguard, I could have so much extra sustain when Im on the offensive...

2 monster set, 5 black rose, 3 agility, maelstrom 2h / night's silence sword and shield. Generic heavy armour stamina build.

#WrobelLogic

Bracing:

Sometimes giving people what they want is a bad idea. Even before heavy was superbuffed with the Dark Brotherhood update heavy armour healers were already very very good to have in PvP raids (IF PLAYED AND SPECCED PROPERLY, very big difference right there). There were also niche heavy armour builds out there for non-healers that were unique and interesting.

Nowadays I have to go on my destro ulti bombblade to "small scale" with guildies because everyone and his dog is a tank. Except for the procblades and other bombblades, of course.
    Edited by Valencer on January 30, 2017 4:14PM
  • Teridaxus
    Teridaxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did people already forget that they changed how wrath stacks in the pts making it far harder to get a big number outside of mass trash mobs or if you dive into a zerg where reactive armour is the real problem then and not heavy in general.

And the oneshoot meta and all the monster sets are the other big reason why people need to go heavy. Making monster sets not crit is just a joke of a solution.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

So if I don't put points into that passive I don't get the debuff? Seems like this might need a little more thought.

There should not be negative points to passives or players will just elect not to take them and then QQ the forumns with how bad Heavy Armor sucks to use.

I agree with your overall intention, but maybe the strategy needs work.

Also disagree with the reduction of outgoing healing.

Wrath passive was always a stupid idea IMO. I use Heavy Armor for Tanking in PvE and this does nothing for me, but makes everyone cry for heave armor nerfs in the forums for PvP...

I say get rid of Wrath and replace with something for resource management and it will be fine.
    Edited by kojou on January 30, 2017 4:19PM
    Playing since beta...
  • EnOeZ
    EnOeZ
    ✭✭✭✭

Ok, now let's fix:
    - Destro ultimates and zerg trains spamming it
    - gank builds that can 100%-0% even heavy armor tanks in about a second
    - Light Armor offensive builds that give players the best defensive shields in the game and much better survivability though mobiliy and offensive power that put opponents in defensive mode.

You see not against coherence in the game at all but do not narrow your vision.
    PVP combat balance is really bad due to subperforming PVPers (and biaised ones) making the balance as developpers.
    Not even talking about entire DLCs favouring one class: nightblades (imperial city, Thieves guild, Dark Broterhood...)

Imperial City is the most biaised DLC of any game I have played in my life and still is.
  • bowmanz607
    bowmanz607
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    that is the problem. Heavy armor is not only for tanks!
    there are many playstyles for heavy armor. one of which is the berserker type playstyle that zos mentioned they wanted to promote.

heavy should be balanced around being able to take hits while still promoting a variety of playstyles. something they are trying to do.

why do you want to kill diversity and make heavy a niche for tanks. ok everyone, where light if mag, medium if stam, heavy if tank. that is boring and serves to kill build diversity. The approach zos is taking is the right one. The issue is with champ points, not heavy.

Also, there is no real way to test these changes because there is no open world pvp on pts. We need to wait to see how these changes play out. The only thing that should change if a change occurs is the amount of sustain heavy has.

stop trying to pigeon hole things.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to think of an MMO i've played where a Heavy Armor Tank couldn't do damage.

Warriors in WoW -- Beastmode damage
    Warriors/Armsman/Heroes in DAOC- Beastmode Damage
    the Heavy Armor characters in Rift - Again..could do Beastmode damage.
    SWTOR Power Tech - Beastmode damage.

So yea.....that's just off the top of my head.

• thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bowmanz607 wrote: »
    there are many playstyles for heavy armor. one of which is the berserker type playstyle that zos mentioned they wanted to promote.

heavy should be balanced around being able to take hits while still promoting a variety of playstyles. something they are trying to do.

why do you want to kill diversity and make heavy a niche for tanks. ok everyone, where light if mag, medium if stam, heavy if tank. that is boring and serves to kill build diversity. The approach zos is taking is the right one. The issue is with champ points, not heavy.

Also, there is no real way to test these changes because there is no open world pvp on pts. We need to wait to see how these changes play out. The only thing that should change if a change occurs is the amount of sustain heavy has.

The only thing is that the berserker style will pretty much always be the most effective style of gameplay for PvP. Even without the champ points you will still have great damage because they don't need to worry about regen as much. The game has sort of pigeonholed me into heavy armor for PvP, it's too good not to use. As long as heavy can do good damage what's the point of using light or medium
  • bowmanz607
    bowmanz607
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bowmanz607 wrote: »

The only thing is that the berserker style will pretty much always be the most effective style of gameplay for PvP. Even without the champ points you will still have great damage because they don't need to worry about regen as much. The game has sort of pigeonholed me into heavy armor for PvP, it's too good not to use. As long as heavy can do good damage what's the point of using light or medium

The damage is only there if you take damage. Same with sustain. light and heavy get passive sustain and damage. again, need to see how these changes work. Also, heavy is most viable because of power creep. Damage is too high right now making the the mitigation more appealing. PLus proc sets which no longer crit. by bringing the top down in damage you make medium and light more appealing.

really proc sets are what make heavy even more viable cause they still allow you to put out large damage even though you miught have low damage.

fix the problem (cp/proc/power creep), dont treat the symptoms.