Maintenance for the week of October 28:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 28, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – October 30, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – October 30, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Least favorite / most ill-fitting crafting style?

• RealLifeRedguard
    RealLifeRedguard
    ✭✭✭
    Googled for a few pics of the old redguard style and found something that makes me cringe every time. The "revamped" Seadrake costume!
    Just look at that:
    seadrake1.6_zpswybdm05m.jpg
    And a few more before/after pics, found in google images:
    JN8Gz8Y.jpg
    RedguardGal4_zpsd2fbe8a5.png
    ESO-Dress_zpsrdwwj925.jpg
    I hate this change so much. Even though I dont wear any redguard style items, seeing npcs wearing "revamped" clothes is cringeworthy.

Lol I loved it too, sadly [snip] demanded a change saying it's too revealing :D

Is that actually similar to what happened? I've still yet to get an answer as to why ZOS made this change, or even if it was announced change. But to the larger point, there's always a middle ground here. I'm of the mind that armor should be functional first, so as to feel consistent and believable within the world you've established. In the case of the redguards, I don't care if the old style was skimpy or not. It fit their culture and just looked better.
    Edited by ZOS_Bill on January 26, 2017 3:48PM
    #MakeSummersetGreatAgain! http://bit.ly/1sphMz7
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enslaved wrote: »
    Redguard-Hide-Male-Close-Front.jpg

I'm redguard and I absolutely hate their armour style

Im sorry, mate, but that is 100% an Altmer lol.

Maybe he's a Redguard with Jaundice. Don't be hatin'

Redguard medium armor always reminds me of ninja armor. A bit anachronistic imho
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want an answer as to why they changed redguard and orc armor styles you need only to look to the crown store. It's really kind of cute how some think it had anything to do with any group outcry about realism or otherwise.

*And if anyone at ZoS alluded to this being the cause, it was after the fact to cover their own @$$ :)
    Edited by Coatmagic on January 26, 2017 3:10PM
  • RealLifeRedguard
    RealLifeRedguard
    ✭✭✭
    Coatmagic wrote: »
    If you want an answer as to why they changed redguard and orc armor styles you need only to look to the crown store. It's really kind of cute how some think it had anything to do with any group outcry about realism or otherwise.

*And if anyone at ZoS alluded to this being the cause, it was after the fact to cover their own @$$ :)

What exactly are you implying here? Not saying I don't believe you, but I want to make sure we're on the same page.
  • Oyaban_Kyuubi
    Oyaban_Kyuubi
    ✭✭
    So looking at the armors Early levels most of the armors look fine.

Khajiit light and medium armor lvl 1-24 look fine to me

Same with most of the other races sans some exceptions (Altmer being the pompous arse they are having that kind of stitching is obscene.) If i had every motiff on my craftier I could probably find for each tier one armor that looks "okay" or nice enough but I agree with people here that the armors are just not pleasing.

Its gotten to the point where I used my free 500 crowns to buy that Tree climbing Miniskirt and chest straps outfit and have now regulated myself to wearing that most of the time or another costume for that matter most of the time on all my characters.

The problem with that as shown with the Seadrake costume is that the costumes are pretty blase as well, most of them at least its like finding the diamond in the rough. I can see one of two things being a solution for this. one is likely to happen the other not so much.

Likely solution: Add more costumes obtainable in game and in the store that are aesthetically pleasing enough that people are happy and fill more Roles than the current setup (kind of like my other thread about there being no real maid like costumes in game)

Less likely solution: Complete overhaul of all the armors as voted on by the people for the people into better forms.

I wouldn't mind if like lvl 1-14 looked horrible (altmer stitching makes sense on lower level armors as they wouldn't be made by a "master craftier") but the armors from Say a lvl 3 wood cloth blacksmith looked considerably better till the lvl 10 craftiers are making things that when one walks onto the battlefield people look at them and go. Dayum that there is King Steals-your-sweets or Lord Valek Ulfric looks like hes ready to end Molag bol with a single swing an take his mace with naught but a stagger.

That would be fine I see the opposite in effect at the moment. Right now lower level armor that you get at the start looks fine or even good but later armor looks bad > worse > omg why is that even a thing.

@ZOE Staff: If its the political correctness that's stopping you from having light armors that show skin, Medium armors that show skin, Heavy armors that can be attributed to mere bikini more than a defensive armament, that's fine. I would hate the "concerned mothers of the world" to come on raise a stink and shut this game down on you its a fine piece of work and the first MMO (WoW included) that's kept my interest for over a week.

There has to be a Point though when the people playing your game, the people padding your pockets with their subscriptions, the people keeping your business afloat with this piece of art, get heard. People playing the game don't like the changes and I feel personally that their voice should be heard over little Mrs. Matilda "Omg Blaziken is sexualized now in a video game my little Timmy now has to look at *** whenever he plays" When that model in particular is the same model that came out 15 years ago and has never changed.

People need to step out of their "Safe spaces" and realize the gaming world isn't out to destroy and corrupt their children.
    Edited by Oyaban_Kyuubi on January 26, 2017 11:24PM
    Proud Co-Leader to The EmeraldMoon Guild. A Familial based Guild open for those who want to enjoy the game and get help where able. Pm Me in game to join today.

My Current list of Characters Their levels, Race and inventory capacity.

[Main/Crafter] Shizu Crystal/Khajiit/Sorcerer (daedric summoner)/20/110 *locked due to researching traits causing bank and inventory to be full*
    [Primary Thief] Shizu Noodle ii/Khajiit/Werewolf/Nightblade/12/60
    [Secondary Main/Tank Test] Liftz-Hir-Tail/Argonian/Vampire/Nightblade/35/60 *locked due to Crafter being locked for researching and reaching limit of crafted gear at this time*
    [Trial tank] Liftz-Hir-Tail ii/Argonian/DragonKnight/4/60

Bank size: 110 *full*
    Guild bank Size: 500
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This isn't a style, but three words: Breton. Hero. Costume.
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
    Kilith Telvayn, Dunmer Telvanni Sorcerer (main)
    Kilith, Dunmer Magblade (old main)
    Vadusa Venim, Dunmer crafter (older main)
    Hir Hlaalu, Dunmer Warden
    Søren Icehelm, N'wah Warden
    Fargoth of Morrowind, Bosmer commoner
  • HmmHmm
    HmmHmm
    Soul Shriven
    Faulgor wrote: »
    I think all base race styles are lackluster. They are from a time in the development of ESO when armor wasn't that great to begin with. As ZOS in general doesn't really like replacing old things (and some people might actually like the base styles), I think the best solution would be to add a advanced / premium style for each race. They could be added as world boss drops in the respective zones, or as a reward for a new arena type gameplay in upcoming DLC, for example.
    Just go at the base races with a fresh look and all that the art team has learned since the release of the game. I think they could do something great here, especially when they take the sources the OP posted into consideration.

Sadly, will probably be the crown store...
  • NateAssassin
    NateAssassin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The alliance styles make me sick on females. They all look terrible.
    AD | Malaya the Mystic ─ VR16 Khajiit Sorc | Shal'ina the Swift ─ VR16 Khajiit NB | Jòhn Cena ─ VR1 Khajiit NB | Priestess Shaari ─ VR1 Temp
  • Stania
    Stania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Hate to say it, but the Khajiit style. The elbow guards, shoulders, thigh guards and knee guards are ATROCIOUS.

Those armor pieces and Reaper's March architecture make me think that Khajiit are obsessed with pointy things.

Though, I really like how the chest piece looks on male characters, the fingerless gauntlets with rings look nice too, and the sabatons fit with my character who is an earthen heart-heavy user (walking around barefoot like earth-benders from Avatar).

The armor style would be very cool if those guards were different and its textures weren't so blurry and low-res looking.
    PC NA server
    ¡Hablo español!
    |vet trial #1|vet trial #2|vet trial #3 HM|Another vet trial|a hard-to-get achievement|
    My characters:
    <List of characters that no one cares to know with their classes and roles>

"Inspirational quote"
  • RealLifeRedguard
    RealLifeRedguard
    ✭✭✭
    Stania wrote: »
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Hate to say it, but the Khajiit style. The elbow guards, shoulders, thigh guards and knee guards are ATROCIOUS.

Those armor pieces and Reaper's March architecture make me think that Khajiit are obsessed with pointy things.

Though, I really like how the chest piece looks on male characters, the fingerless gauntlets with rings look nice too, and the sabatons fit with my character who is an earthen heart-heavy user (walking around barefoot like earth-benders from Avatar).

The armor style would be very cool if those guards were different and its textures weren't so blurry and low-res looking.

At least the khajiit have a somewhat decorative style. Seriously, does anyone know why someone thought it was a good idea to make altmer clothing so plain and full ugly stitching? What were they thinking?
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of the armor in ESO is not only aesthetically pleasing, but fits the race in question perfectly. However, I think we can all agree that some are better than others.

Which ones would you like to see changed? What do you dislike about them? What would you improve?

For me, I absolutely despise the altmer light and medium styles:

Altmer-Ancestor-Silk-Female-Robe-Front.jpg
    Altmer-Rawhide-Female-Close-Front.jpg

I honestly for the life of me can't figure out what ZOS was thinking. Why did they consciously add the clumsy, ugly stitching all over the armor? What's the rationale for this? Is it meant to imply that the altmer are poor tailors or don't care for aesthetics?

To be fair we have almost no reference for what altmer clothing is supposed to look like, aside from three previous examples, the first of which has likely been retconned with most of the PGE1 era lore:

8210312.gif
    highelf_darliandor.gif
    high_elf_from_skyrim_by_saltso-d4i8j4d.jpg

I was also completely disappointed with the dunmer armor styles:

b8a9a3b79197ee0816118e6e771b1e0a.jpg
    latest?cb=20130715221841

It looks completely inconsistent from everything we've ever seen from the dunmer. What happened to netch leather, bonemold, and chitin? What happened to the organic shapes and bizarre helmets? The goggles and scarves and gems?

tumblr_ljpp6giLFt1qdjg0ko1_500.jpg
    2702255-mw_concept_15.gif
    redoran.jpg
    latest?cb=20140618103610
    latest?cb=20130213031242
    31854-1-1361127991.jpg

Only the heavy armor resembles anything close to the armor styles seen in Morrowind and Skyrim, and even that looks ugly as all hell. I still dont understand why they decided to make the ordinator face-masks square and chunky as opposed to the original design.

latest?cb=20111109175139
    Post-Dunmer-Brigandine.png

I can totally live without the cluttered, layered look of the artwork shown above (that would take a lot of physics and processing power, and even morrowind toned it down a bit) but I'm honestly not sure why ZOS decided to make the dunmer armor so fundamentally different from what we've seen in previous games, not to mention fundamentally dull and boring.

So what crafting style do you dislike the most? How would you improve upon it?

OP hit the nail on the head. The altmer light and medium styles are atrociously ugly and I can't imagine the developers weren't high (not on skooma, on crack) when they decided to arbitrarily add those disgusting stitches to them. That's my explanation for it. I challenge anyone else to come up with a better reason why the altmer style looks like this.
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AD heavy. It looks like I'm wearing a freaking box

rip decibel