Maintenance for the week of October 28:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 28, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – October 30, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – October 30, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Least favorite / most ill-fitting crafting style?

RealLifeRedguard
RealLifeRedguard
✭✭✭
A lot of the armor in ESO is not only aesthetically pleasing, but fits the race in question perfectly. However, I think we can all agree that some are better than others.

Which ones would you like to see changed? What do you dislike about them? What would you improve?

For me, I absolutely despise the altmer light and medium styles:

Altmer-Ancestor-Silk-Female-Robe-Front.jpg
Altmer-Rawhide-Female-Close-Front.jpg

I honestly for the life of me can't figure out what ZOS was thinking. Why did they consciously add the clumsy, ugly stitching all over the armor? What's the rationale for this? Is it meant to imply that the altmer are poor tailors or don't care for aesthetics?

To be fair we have almost no reference for what altmer clothing is supposed to look like, aside from three previous examples, the first of which has likely been retconned with most of the PGE1 era lore:

8210312.gif
highelf_darliandor.gif
high_elf_from_skyrim_by_saltso-d4i8j4d.jpg

I was also completely disappointed with the dunmer armor styles:

b8a9a3b79197ee0816118e6e771b1e0a.jpg
latest?cb=20130715221841

It looks completely inconsistent from everything we've ever seen from the dunmer. What happened to netch leather, bonemold, and chitin? What happened to the organic shapes and bizarre helmets? The goggles and scarves and gems?

tumblr_ljpp6giLFt1qdjg0ko1_500.jpg
2702255-mw_concept_15.gif
redoran.jpg
latest?cb=20140618103610
latest?cb=20130213031242
31854-1-1361127991.jpg

Only the heavy armor resembles anything close to the armor styles seen in Morrowind and Skyrim, and even that looks ugly as all hell. I still dont understand why they decided to make the ordinator face-masks square and chunky as opposed to the original design.

latest?cb=20111109175139
Post-Dunmer-Brigandine.png

I can totally live without the cluttered, layered look of the artwork shown above (that would take a lot of physics and processing power, and even morrowind toned it down a bit) but I'm honestly not sure why ZOS decided to make the dunmer armor so fundamentally different from what we've seen in previous games, not to mention fundamentally dull and boring.

So what crafting style do you dislike the most? How would you improve upon it?
#MakeSummersetGreatAgain! http://bit.ly/1sphMz7
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree! I really loved Ordinator armor design in Morrowind... Especially Hand of Almalexia style, it was very intricate and stylish, despite low res textures. :) In ESO, Ordinators look quite underwhelming.
    7CtluF5.jpg
    And those horrible giant stitches or Altmer armor... Like, what the hell? It looks like whoever made those outfits never tried to sew anything before.
    I also dont like Redguard light armor redesign. It looks bland, and also kinda impractical: who would wear that leather apron thingy in a desert? I still miss my old redguard robe, imo it was the most elegant of the old designs... And now its basically a leather apron+T-shirt. :/
    Edited by LadyNalcarya on January 26, 2017 11:37AM
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • RealLifeRedguard
    RealLifeRedguard
    ✭✭✭
    I agree! I really loved Ordinator armor design in Morrowind... Especially Hand of Almalexia style, it was very intricate and stylish, despite low res textures. :) In ESO, Ordinators look quite underwhelming.
    7CtluF5.jpg
    And those horrible giant stitches or Altmer armor... Like, what the hell? It looks like whoever made those outfits never tried to sew anything before.
    I also dont like Redguard light armor redesign. It looks bland, and also kinda impractical: who would wear that leather apron thingy in a desert? I still miss my old redguard robe, imo it was the most elegant of the old designs... And now its basically a leather apron+T-shirt. :/

Did they ever explain what the hell that redesign was about? Was an announced thing or was it completely random?
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    7CtluF5.jpg

Did they ever explain what the hell that redesign was about? Was an announced thing or was it completely random?

Well it was included in 1.6 (I think?) patch and was still pushed despite lots of negative feedback.
    Presumably it was "too sexy" since orc heavy armor's boob window was removed in the same patch.
    Edited by LadyNalcarya on January 26, 2017 11:41AM

PC/EU
  • Dracindo
    Dracindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every female style that doesn't show enough skin.
    #MMOLogics
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Googled for a few pics of the old redguard style and found something that makes me cringe every time. The "revamped" Seadrake costume!
    Just look at that:
    seadrake1.6_zpswybdm05m.jpg
    And a few more before/after pics, found in google images:
    JN8Gz8Y.jpg
    RedguardGal4_zpsd2fbe8a5.png
    ESO-Dress_zpsrdwwj925.jpg
    I hate this change so much. Even though I dont wear any redguard style items, seeing npcs wearing "revamped" clothes is cringeworthy.

PC/EU
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not on one particular style, but in general I really dislike the floating shoulder and hip pads seen on many armor types and costumes.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • RealLifeRedguard
    RealLifeRedguard
    ✭✭✭
    Googled for a few pics of the old redguard style and found something that makes me cringe every time. The "revamped" Seadrake costume!
    Just look at that:
    JN8Gz8Y.jpg
    I hate this change so much. Even though I dont wear any redguard style items, seeing npcs wearing "revamped" clothes is cringeworthy.

Really though, has ZOS ever addressed this change? Was it random or was it announced? I honestly don't understand why they did this. Does anyone have an idea?
  • Cloudless
    Cloudless
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of the armor in ESO is not only aesthetically pleasing, but fits the race in question perfectly. However, I think we can all agree that some are better than others.

Which ones would you like to see changed? What do you dislike about them? What would you improve?

For me, I absolutely despise the altmer light and medium styles:

Altmer-Ancestor-Silk-Female-Robe-Front.jpg
    Altmer-Rawhide-Female-Close-Front.jpg

I honestly for the life of me can't figure out what ZOS was thinking. Why did they consciously add the clumsy, ugly stitching all over the armor? What's the rationale for this? Is it meant to imply that the altmer are poor tailors or don't care for aesthetics?

To be fair we have almost no reference for what altmer clothing is supposed to look like, aside from three previous examples, the first of which has likely been retconned with most of the PGE1 era lore:

8210312.gif
    highelf_darliandor.gif
    high_elf_from_skyrim_by_saltso-d4i8j4d.jpg

I was also completely disappointed with the dunmer armor styles:

b8a9a3b79197ee0816118e6e771b1e0a.jpg
    latest?cb=20130715221841

It looks completely inconsistent from everything we've ever seen from the dunmer. What happened to netch leather, bonemold, and chitin? What happened to the organic shapes and bizarre helmets? The goggles and scarves and gems?

tumblr_ljpp6giLFt1qdjg0ko1_500.jpg
    2702255-mw_concept_15.gif
    redoran.jpg
    latest?cb=20140618103610
    latest?cb=20130213031242
    31854-1-1361127991.jpg

Only the heavy armor resembles anything close to the armor styles seen in Morrowind and Skyrim, and even that looks ugly as all hell. I still dont understand why they decided to make the ordinator face-masks square and chunky as opposed to the original design.

latest?cb=20111109175139
    Post-Dunmer-Brigandine.png

I can totally live without the cluttered, layered look of the artwork shown above (that would take a lot of physics and processing power, and even morrowind toned it down a bit) but I'm honestly not sure why ZOS decided to make the dunmer armor so fundamentally different from what we've seen in previous games, not to mention fundamentally dull and boring.

So what crafting style do you dislike the most? How would you improve upon it?

This. So much of this.
  • KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hallowjack/Dro'mathra. Personal miff with glowing armor.

Racial-wise? I think I dislike Nord the most, the pointy bits ended up a bit too... exaggerated, imo.
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    About lack of organic Dunmer styles - I do hope we see these in Vvardenfell DLC, since these styles were much more tied to that island afaik. Also, many armor sets in game look as utter bs if your char is lean and of fragile constitution. I guess you need to pump some iron to these twigs you call arms, lol.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think all base race styles are lackluster. They are from a time in the development of ESO when armor wasn't that great to begin with. As ZOS in general doesn't really like replacing old things (and some people might actually like the base styles), I think the best solution would be to add a advanced / premium style for each race. They could be added as world boss drops in the respective zones, or as a reward for a new arena type gameplay in upcoming DLC, for example.
    Just go at the base races with a fresh look and all that the art team has learned since the release of the game. I think they could do something great here, especially when they take the sources the OP posted into consideration.
    Edited by Faulgor on January 26, 2017 12:13PM
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • RealLifeRedguard
    RealLifeRedguard
    ✭✭✭
    Enslaved wrote: »
    About lack of organic Dunmer styles - I do hope we see these in Vvardenfell DLC, since these styles were much more tied to that island afaik. Also, many armor sets in game look as utter bs if your char is lean and of fragile constitution. I guess you need to pump some iron to these twigs you call arms, lol.

Except they weren't tied to the island at all. They were tied to the respective houses and the general dunmer style. I fully accept not having a seperate house style at launch, but what we got honestly looks nothing like anything
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The Stalhrim Frostcaller style had so much potential to be as awesome as the Skyrim version, which is:
    38edfe5134c04413d66285265cd233dd.png
    9293831552_3c7f9381dd_b.jpg
    But instead we got some dinky armor style that only have the weapons look cools, and that's it.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hate to say it, but the Khajiit style. The elbow guards, shoulders, thigh guards and knee guards are ATROCIOUS.
    CP2,000 Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure whether it's my least favourite style but definitely it's the one I was disappointed the most: Dro-m'Athra.
    It just looks so cheap and trashy... As much as I love glowing/animated things, this style is miserable.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    worst is the daedric motif, compared to the one in Skyrim or previous TES games, I rather will not post the screenshots :smiley:
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, there are premium styles for some races:
    - Ancient Elf, as ancestors of both Dark Elves and High Elves (possible Maormer too, since they seem to wear mostly that style)
    - Yokudan and Ra Gaga as ancient Redguard
    - Ancient Orc
    - Xyvkin as a more refine Daedric, though the former is actually closer to the Daedric in previous ESO games
    - Draugr as ancient Nord
    - Dro-m'Athra as "corrupted" Khajiit
    - Mazzatun as "primitive" Argonian
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just look at that:
    JN8Gz8Y.jpg

Really though, has ZOS ever addressed this change? Was it random or was it announced? I honestly don't understand why they did this. Does anyone have an idea?

I think ZOS fell into the trap of chasing the current Political Correctness fads and were afraid that sexy = offensive.

It really is past time we all MOVE THE HECK ON and revert this terrible trend of boxy bland and boring female armor.

Functional is one thing. Walking refrigerator is another.

Case in point, my answer to the OP: Light armor Pact:

EP-Ancestor-Light-Superior-Jerkin-Female-L-Side-Detail.jpg

THAT is supposed to be FEMALE?!? I am disgusted every time I see this travesty.

Edited by Phinix1 on January 26, 2017 12:40PM
  • RealLifeRedguard
    RealLifeRedguard
    ✭✭✭
    Phinix1 wrote: »
    Just look at that:
    JN8Gz8Y.jpg

I think ZOS fell into the trap of chasing the current Political Correctness fads and were afraid that sexy = offensive.

It really is past time we all MOVE THE HECK ON and revert this terrible trend of boxy bland and boring female armor.

Except argonian clothing is still skimpy, and have you seen the crown store lately?
  • LuminaLilly
    LuminaLilly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just look at that:
    JN8Gz8Y.jpg

Lol I loved it too, sadly [snip] demanded a change saying it's too revealing :D

[Edit for Politics]
    Edited by ZOS_Bill on January 26, 2017 3:47PM
  • KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just look at that:
    JN8Gz8Y.jpg

They absolutely should fix the grossly ill-fitting armors, but I'm also quite happy that they removed boob windows from HEAVY armor. Dead does not equal sexy.
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just look at that:
    JN8Gz8Y.jpg

Except argonian clothing is still skimpy, and have you seen the crown store lately?

To be fair, Argonian clothes being skimpy is probably due to the fact that female Argonians are known to be lusty.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just look at that:
    JN8Gz8Y.jpg

They absolutely should fix the grossly ill-fitting armors, but I'm also quite happy that they removed boob windows from HEAVY armor. Dead does not equal sexy.

Female pact was release what, a YEAR ago?

There was a lot of talk at the time about fixing it due to the outrage but I guess "No ETA" equals NEVER.
  • KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just look at that:
    JN8Gz8Y.jpg

Female pact was release what, a YEAR ago?

There was a lot of talk at the time about fixing it due to the outrage but I guess "No ETA" equals NEVER.

No ETA is a good way to summarize anything that's not crown store related
  • unjulationb16_ESO
    Redguard-Hide-Male-Close-Front.jpg

I'm redguard and I absolutely hate their armour style
    Edited by unjulationb16_ESO on January 26, 2017 12:48PM
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Armor in games would be completely non-functional IRL. Real medieval and early modern armor, even if richly decorated, like the surviving examples that were used by kings and nobles of that period are very sturdy and lack ornaments that could snag or deflect enemy blows towards the vulnerable parts, like the neck and joints. And "windows" would be a total no-no since it would make the whole plating useless.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    Armor in games would be completely non-functional IRL. Real medieval and early modern armor, even if richly decorated, like the surviving examples that were used by kings and nobles of that period are very sturdy and lack ornaments that could snag or deflect enemy blows towards the vulnerable parts, like the neck and joints. And "windows" would be a total no-no since it would make the whole plating useless.

It's people like you that are the reason we now have refrigerator female armor! :P

No offense intended, but it's a game. It is supposed to be FANTASY. Show me a real life mage hurling magical lightning from their fingers and then I'll listen to this argument for realism in a fantasy world.

Otherwise let me keep my good looking armor and keep your drab refrigerator shaped blarney at Renn Faire!

(Note to moderators: This was said in a humorous and friendly tone).
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Redguard-Hide-Male-Close-Front.jpg

I'm redguard and I absolutely hate their armour style

Im sorry, mate, but that is 100% an Altmer lol.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new Redguard light armor chest
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • makeyurself
    makeyurself
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like the faction armor at all. I was really excited for them too. Also FLAPS on everything, FLAPS everywhere. Exaggerated FLAPS for FLAPPINGS SAKE! Hide flaps options please. :)
    Xbox NA:
    • Soren Hawkheart- Breton Spellsword (DC) Sorcerer
    • Kaenan- Imperial Paladin (EP) Templar
    • Revan- Dunmer Vampire Inferno Mage (EP) Dragonknight
    • Faerandil- Altmer Sage (AD) Templar
    • Aureyna- Altmer Arcane Warrior (AD) Sorcerer
    • Aurthalion- Altme Battle Mage (AD) Sorcerer
    • Dahlek- Argonian Shadowmage/Shadowscale (AD) Nightblade
    • Callion- Breton Thief & Assassin (AD) Nightblade
    • Eldaran- Lore-breaking half-elf Elementalist, not of Nirn (DC) Dragonknight
    • Quenandir- Altmer Ranger (AD) Nighblade
    • Saelif- Breton/Altmer MG Adept (AD) Templar