Maintenance for the week of January 21:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU for maintenance – January 22, 6:00AM EST (11:00 UTC) - 09:00AM EST (14:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] Xbox One: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – January 22, 6:00AM EST (11:00 UTC) - 09:00AM EST (14:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®4: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – January 22, 6:00AM EST (11:00 UTC) - 09:00AM EST (14:00 UTC)
Reduce magicka cost of spells by 191
Adds 157 magicka recovery?
I am magicka sorcerer high elf.
depends on build. but for most instances, reduction is better.
reduction is applied before cost reduction, so lets assume you are using 7p light which gives 21% cost reduction, plus 100 cp into cost reduction for another 16% total is 37% reduction.
so we see here on a 1000 cost instant cast ability, you would after cost reduction it would cost 630. whereas, cost reduction enchant would reduce it to 809 cost and with cost reduction to 509.67. the net effect then being 120.33 reduction. but now we must go a step further, 120.33 reduction in cost puts the effective value of that cost reduction to the sum of the skills used in a 2s cycle across the sum of your rotation. for sake of making this easy we will assume you are not animation cancelling and only spamming the 1 skill. this means we are doing 2 skills every 2s in a 1s rotation. thus the cost reduction enchant equals to 240.67 regen.
to compare this though we must compare regen via the same format.
regen enchant granting 157 recovery must be run though the gauntlet of regen boost. for sake of argument we will assume you have everything fully unlocked, and every buff up.
buffs are: 20% from potion, 10% racial, 28% armor, 25% cp, 20% pvp keep buff, 10% capacitor, 10% if vampire, 2% per mages guild skill we will assume 1 skill, + 10% per support skill we will factor in both with and without as this would be the biggest difference where we will show numbers with no pvp support, and numbers with 3 skills, plus ult. without 491 regen for effective cost reduction of 245.5, and with 4 support skills which i forget if its calculated as lump or individual but lump is 687, individualized 719.
As a general rule (the are obvious exceptions), Reduce cost is better in PVE and Regen is better in PVP.
In PVE you are casting skills on your global cooldown (about every one second), so the cost reduction becomes twice as effective as regen (if the numbers are the same). Reduction counts every time you use it, regen is every 2 seconds.
In PVP, you are doing a lot more moving and going in and out of combat. It is rare that you cast skills as frequently as you do in PVE. Typically you are going to want a way to quickly recover when out of combat, so regen is better.