Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Which one is better?

pala_the4th
pala_the4th
✭✭
Reduce magicka cost of spells by 191
or
Adds 157 magicka recovery?
I am magicka sorcerer high elf.
EU XBone
High Elf Sorcerer
  • AzuraKin
    AzuraKin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reduce magicka cost of spells by 191
    or
    Adds 157 magicka recovery?
    I am magicka sorcerer high elf.

depends on build. but for most instances, reduction is better.

reduction is applied before cost reduction, so lets assume you are using 7p light which gives 21% cost reduction, plus 100 cp into cost reduction for another 16% total is 37% reduction.

so we see here on a 1000 cost instant cast ability, you would after cost reduction it would cost 630. whereas, cost reduction enchant would reduce it to 809 cost and with cost reduction to 509.67. the net effect then being 120.33 reduction. but now we must go a step further, 120.33 reduction in cost puts the effective value of that cost reduction to the sum of the skills used in a 2s cycle across the sum of your rotation. for sake of making this easy we will assume you are not animation cancelling and only spamming the 1 skill. this means we are doing 2 skills every 2s in a 1s rotation. thus the cost reduction enchant equals to 240.67 regen.

to compare this though we must compare regen via the same format.
    regen enchant granting 157 recovery must be run though the gauntlet of regen boost. for sake of argument we will assume you have everything fully unlocked, and every buff up.

buffs are: 20% from potion, 10% racial, 28% armor, 25% cp, 20% pvp keep buff, 10% capacitor, 10% if vampire, 2% per mages guild skill we will assume 1 skill, + 10% per support skill we will factor in both with and without as this would be the biggest difference where we will show numbers with no pvp support, and numbers with 3 skills, plus ult. without 491 regen for effective cost reduction of 245.5, and with 4 support skills which i forget if its calculated as lump or individual but lump is 687, individualized 719.
    v160 spellsword (nightblade)
    v160 restoration archmage (Templar)
    v160 battlemage (sorcerer)
    v160 restoration archmage (Templar)
    v160 warrior (DragonKnight)
    v160 assassin (nightblade)
    v160 swordsman (sorcerer)
    v160 spellsword (nightblade)
  • pala_the4th
    pala_the4th
    ✭✭
    So cost reduction of 240.67 versus 245.5 from recovery? This conflicts what u said at the top. I don't have any pvp buffs.
    EU XBone
    High Elf Sorcerer
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a simpler way to understand it. You can use Skills twice as fast as you get regen ticks, so reducing costs is usually better for preserving your resource pool.

Of course the way you play can have an influence on this*, so you can test it with swapping out Glyphs to see which one gives you more resources at the end of a fight.

*If you spend a lot of time moving around avoiding attacks and blocking, and firing off skills when you can, then regen can help. For most combat, cost reduction is better.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's me, I'll put into recovery, cos you can pause a min and regain mag faster.
    Pc na
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a general rule (the are obvious exceptions), Reduce cost is better in PVE and Regen is better in PVP.

In PVE you are casting skills on your global cooldown (about every one second), so the cost reduction becomes twice as effective as regen (if the numbers are the same). Reduction counts every time you use it, regen is every 2 seconds.

In PVP, you are doing a lot more moving and going in and out of combat. It is rare that you cast skills as frequently as you do in PVE. Typically you are going to want a way to quickly recover when out of combat, so regen is better.