The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is it possible to run the game on linux with wine?

anwar_shen
anwar_shen
Soul Shriven
I have been away for a while from the game for a while and now I use only linux..
I've been researching the topic for a while and this is what I came up with:
the game used to run until the thieves guild patch which the game after that and until now runs on directx 11 only..
but the game is available for mac which really had me confused
I am not sure of any of these info..if someone could clarify a bit that would be appreciated.

ps.I hope I am using the forums right.
  • Jenshae
    Jenshae
    Since they run it on Mac, it should be easy to make a wrapper for it, as you suggest.

PlayOnLinux --> set up a drive, then you need to update Wine version, keep it on 32bit, get frameworks as XP until you hit 3.5 then swop to Win7 emulation.
    After downloading it under DirectX 9 and updating it you can rip out the Dx9 libraries and change it to Dx11.

I can run it but it crashes frequently.

ESO thread on there: https://www.playonlinux.com/en/app-1990.html
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know they removed OpenGL from the Windows version but doesn't the MAC version use OpenGL?
    idea.gif
  • Asharin
    Asharin
    ✭✭
    As an update, yes you can now run ESO with wine under Linux again, however, you have to at present be able to tolerate corrupt textures on the ground. Hopefully as DX11 support increases in Wine this problem will be fixed.
  • Wow
    Wow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asharin wrote: »
    As an update, yes you can now run ESO with wine under Linux again, however, you have to at present be able to tolerate corrupt textures on the ground. Hopefully as DX11 support increases in Wine this problem will be fixed.

Wish they fix this problem soon. Same thing with Overwatch, from completely being unable to run, now it's playable with broken texture.

Though I heard the latest patch break it again. :/ but still a progress
    I'm a Godot Engine and GameMaker enthusiast from the most populated island on earth, Java, Indonesia. Coffee is my staple fuel, and durian is my favourite fruit. I'm currently building a Godot Community site.
  • misfitmanic
    misfitmanic
    ✭✭✭
    I would really like to see the devs throw some support towards Linux. Dying to switch back to Linux permanently but cannot give up my ESO addiction.
  • ElFinito
    ElFinito
    ✭✭
    Hope it works anytime. Wanna come back to the Game. Installing Windows as 2nd OS isnt an Option.
  • Asharin
    Asharin
    ✭✭
    Working for for me now, however I changed to an AMD card. Using Nvidia you still have the messed up textures :(
    However, using Linux/Wine with an AMD card (well a recent one supported by AMDGPU at least) you can play ESO again.

Of course, AMDGPU not supporting compatibility profiles means NMS broke, but I got bored of that game lol
  • ElFinito
    ElFinito
    ✭✭
    Working for for me now, however I changed to an AMD card. Using Nvidia you still have the messed up textures :(
    However, using Linux/Wine with an AMD card (well a recent one supported by AMDGPU at least) you can play ESO again.

Of course, AMDGPU not supporting compatibility profiles means NMS broke, but I got bored of that game lol

ty. will try it next time. good to hear with the AMD card, i always have radeon´s. ^^
  • Asharin
    Asharin
    ✭✭
    As a new update, With Wine staging 2.21 + DXVK (uses vulkan to render dx11) you can now run ESO on nvidia + linux/wine with no corrupt textures :D
  • kenjitamura
    kenjitamura
    ✭✭
    As a new update, With Wine staging 2.21 + DXVK (uses vulkan to render dx11) you can now run ESO on nvidia + linux/wine with no corrupt textures :D

Sucks that Wine staging is no longer being maintained though. Developers posted just a couple of days ago that now since they're out of school they don't have time for it anymore.
  • Kevin_of_Devinshire
    Anyone use crossover “office” to run it. I haven’t tried in years. Maybe nice to run a stripped Linux.
  • Asharin
    Asharin
    ✭✭

Sucks that Wine staging is no longer being maintained though. Developers posted just a couple of days ago that now since they're out of school they don't have time for it anymore.

It has new maintainers now and is being actively updated...though currently just using the existing patches against the wine 3.2 base, after that, proper updates..
    Anyone use crossover “office” to run it. I haven’t tried in years. Maybe nice to run a stripped Linux.
    It should work, as normal Wine can run ESO nowadays, especially if you have an AMD gou, with nvidia, you pretty much need wine staging + dxvk or you have corrupt textures on the ground

• tuwtle
    tuwtle

With nvidia propietary drivers it just froze after the first load screen (right when it should have started showing the character select screen). I used this this fork https://github.com/vesim987/dxvk/ with the DXVK_SPIRV_OPT=ON environment variable set and it works fine (no more overwriting ground textures!). Except the glare when looking at the sun (or the hole to aetherius, whatever) is pixelated. Hmm, there are a few more graphical artifacts like effects flickering as they fade into view.
    Edited by tuwtle on February 24, 2018 3:45AM
  • Asharin
    Asharin
    ✭✭
    l2pjZ9Z.png
    ESO running on Manjaro Linux + wine 3.2 (with vulkan libs from staging) + DXVK (built from git this morning 26/02/2018)
    Seems to run fine, only crash so far is when I selected hide helmet :D Playable FPS, obviously some loss due to using linux/wine instead of native, but not bad.
    Hardware is a AMD A8-7650, Geforce GTX 1050 (2GB) , 16gb ram. Happy I can play ESO again without having to dual boot windows, not that I necessarily have anything against windows, I just prefer Linux :D