The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Little yards of smaller houses: can be decorated or no?

Loves_guars
Loves_guars
✭✭✭✭✭
Are we going to be able to place the skeleton dummy and furniture in the little (inner) yards that some medium and small houses have?

Can anyone confirm, or these yards/gardens in small houses are all unavailable for decorating?

If so, please specify the one you were able to decorate,

Thanks!
  • Darkonflare15
    Darkonflare15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are we going to be able to place the skeleton dummy and furniture in the little (inner) yards that some medium and small houses have?

Can anyone confirm, or these yards/gardens in small houses are all unavailable for decorating?

If so, please specify the one you were able to decorate,

Thanks!

Yes
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All yards that are inside the instance are able to be decorated (e.g., the yards in Humblemud, Twin Arches, Black Vine Villa, etc.) If there's a loading screen between the yard and the rest of the world, you can decorate it.

The only rather infamously non-decorateable yards are the ones that are outside the instance, like the Silent Magnifico roof and the eponymous deck of Hammerdeck End.

When you preview a house, it's pretty clear what's inside the instance and what's not, so just walk around and check where doors lead before you buy, and you'll be fine.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can definitely decorate the yards of the houses that are enclosed by a wall, even on the small and medium homes.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only ones where you can't decorate the yard are:
    • The 3 paid apartments in inns (and obviously the free rooms)
    • Snugpod
    • Moonmirth House
    • Captain Margaux's Place
    • Hammerdeck End
    • Kragrenhome
    • Cliffshade
    • Grymharth's Woe
    • House of the Silent Magnifico

For the majority of those it's obvious as soon as you look at them that there's no outside space.

Hammerdeck End is misleading IMO because the entire description is about the deck and what you can do with it, so it's surprising that it's not part of the instance and therefore you can't decorate it. Kragrenhome confuses me because in the medium dunmer house the courtyard is off to one side, accessed through a side room so I keep thinking I might have missed it here too.

The others in that list don't have a yard at all. If you look at them from outside you can see that it's just a house, and if you preview them there will only be one door which will say it exits to the zone the house is in, but in preview mode it will send you back to where you were before you started the preview. So it's pretty clear once you see them that there isn't any outside space to decorate.

(Edited to correct several typos in one sentence.)
    Edited by Danikat on January 22, 2017 3:43PM
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Loves_guars
    Loves_guars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all!
  • baratron
    baratron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note that Humblemud is problematic because of its bumpy garden. If you think "oh, the house is so small, I'll put my Attuned Crafting Stations outside", you'll find it very difficult because most of the ground is too bumpy to place crafting stations. You can put them down, but then they are unusable. It's only the area which is paved near the back of the properly which is suitable for placing this kind of "special" furniture.
    Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 2200+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1700+ CP

These characters are on both servers:
    Alix de Feu - Breton Templar Healer level 50
    Brings-His-Own-Forest - Argonian Warden Healer level 50
    Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50
    Jadisa al-Belkarth - Redguard Arcanist looking for a role

NA-only characters:
    Martin Draconis - Imperial Sorceror Healer (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Arzhela Petit - Breton Dragonknight Healer (Daggerfall Covenant) level 50
    Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    baratron wrote: »
    Note that Humblemud is problematic because of its bumpy garden. If you think "oh, the house is so small, I'll put my Attuned Crafting Stations outside", you'll find it very difficult because most of the ground is too bumpy to place crafting stations. You can put them down, but then they are unusable. It's only the area which is paved near the back of the properly which is suitable for placing this kind of "special" furniture.

You can overlay surfaces with some kind of deck or platform to create a flat surface outdoors.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Betheny wrote: »
    baratron wrote: »

You can overlay surfaces with some kind of deck or platform to create a flat surface outdoors.

Cheapest is probably the wide plank. I don't remember what it costs in gold but it's 10 crowns and would cover a large enough space to put at least a couple of crafting stations.

But I suppose it's a matter of thinking about what you want to do with the house when you pick one. The bumpy garden doesn't bother me because I want to make it look like a garden and it's easier to make it look interesting with uneven terrain and some default plants (I wish I could buy and place the blue flowers that are part of the terrain in Humblemud). The ones I'd struggle with are the perfectly flat courtyards with neat, square walls.

I suspect a lot of people are going to find there isn't a house which is perfect for them, so you have to decide which factors are the most important and pick the ones that gets closest to ticking all the boxes. Just like real life.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"