The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

List of sets for tanking in Dungeons PVE

teladoy
teladoy
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi,

anyone can help me with a list of sets that fit for tanking in pve?

I was thinking to craft the Armor Master set for my NB tank, but then I realized this set is more for pvp, due to I need an armor ability sloted and all armor abilities and their morphs are very more oriented to pvp i would say.

My option now is the Twice born star with prismatic glyphs, Swarm Mother and some other set like maybe Blood Spawn or Tava's Favor...

What are your suggestions?
Edited by teladoy on January 17, 2017 11:22AM
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like tava's and bloodspawn on my Dk tank. Also cobined these two with akaviri dragonguard. My ulti gain iz plain crazy, I have upkeep of agressive warhorn 100% almost in every single dungeon.
  • NoFlash
    NoFlash
    ✭✭✭
    Shuffle is strong for pve tanking just saying. There are lots of nb tanking guides out there, just do a quick search.
    Daggerfall Covenant

The Ninja Squirrels
  • teladoy
    teladoy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EvoAZN wrote: »
    Shuffle is strong for pve tanking just saying. There are lots of nb tanking guides out there, just do a quick search.

But why i would need shuffly with my NB when I can use Mirage?
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Alkosh, Ebon, Dragon, Tava's and Powerful Assault are some of the best sets you could be using as a PvE Tank regardless of class. Not played much as a NB Tank but if you just want to do Dungeons with it then maybe try Tava's + Black Rose, good survivability combined with great sustain. Cause you can use Mirage to get Minor Resolve and Ward with Major Evasion which works great with Tava's, and if you do Refreshing path you also get a HoT and Major Resolve and Ward for all the defensive buffs you would need. Combine Black Rose with the NB's Siphoning Attacks and your sustain will be amazing, especially if you go an Argonian Tank, the NB's Passive for getting ultimate when using Pots works great with the Argonian's passive for getting all resources back when using pots.
    Edited by paulsimonps on January 17, 2017 11:23AM
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my tank is using and old non dps build, that can stand in almost everything and dont feel it.

Remember this is old, but works :D

5 Footman (2 armor, 3 jewerly)
    5 Armor Master (3 armor, weapon, shield)
    2 Malabeth monster (self heals)

For me this build works as intended and can tank every veteran hardmode 4 man dungeons easy, but im working on the change to dps tank instead, missing one ring to do so.

I dont do trials, so I dont/wont wear like alkosh/ebon/assault for group support, its not really needed in 4 man content
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    teladoy wrote: »

Mirage costs magicka, unless you plan on making a sap tank?

For tanking I usually go with:
    x2 Bloodspawn
    x5 Tavas
    x5 Vampires Cloak

I like the minor protection vampire Cloak gives, though I use a DK to tank.
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is all I can think of, which would be great to have a set of these laying around.

Heavy Armor Sets
    Hist Bark
    Akaviri Dragonguard
    Ebon Armory
    Bahraha's Curse
    Tava's Favor

Undaunted Sets
    Bloodspawn
    Lord Warden
    Mighty Chudan (situational)
    Swarm Mother (situational)
    #MOREORBS
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm running Akiviri Dragonguard, Tava's Favor, and Bloodspawn on my NB tank, and she poops out warhorn. The passives for gaining ultimate for NBs is extremely helpful. On my jewels (Dragonguard), I have 3 yellow potion cooldown reduction glyphs, and that drops 15 seconds off the cooldown, so instead of every 45 sec, every 30 sec I gain 20 ultimate from popping a potion.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • BlazingDynamo
    BlazingDynamo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

x2 Bloodspawn
    x5 Tavas
    x5 Vampires Cloak

That's the best part about mirage. Don't have to dip into your stam for major evasion. Also gives the minor resistance buffs. Don't need to be a sap tank to utilize mirage.
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

x2 Bloodspawn
    x5 Tavas
    x5 Vampires Cloak

That's the best part about mirage. Don't have to dip into your stam for major evasion. Also gives the minor resistance buffs. Don't need to be a sap tank to utilize mirage.

I do the same with mirage, even though my Nightblade tank is stamina.

I use Twice born star with Lord and Lady. Seems to work pretty well with the Imperial racial bonuses.

Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

x2 Bloodspawn
    x5 Tavas
    x5 Vampires Cloak

I do the same with mirage, even though my Nightblade tank is stamina.

I use Twice born star with Lord and Lady. Seems to work pretty well with the Imperial racial bonuses.

And if you drop refreshing path it gives you major ward too.

But for dungeon tanking for Meridas blessing, the 5th perk works on dungeons fine but not for trial bosses, use that with Tava and you are good to go with Bloodspawn, huge ulti generation and sitting inside bolstering darkness makes you near unkillable in dungeons.

PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Major Evasion Dodge chance is going to decrease from 15% to 20% with next patch , tava is still ok choice.

But i run mostly run 5 piece Akalosh/2 piece agility/3 piece eternal yakdoa + Plague Doctor with all attributes on stamina,

Chest and shield reinforced and all remaining sturdy with 2 magicka Recovery rings enchantment and 1 reduce block cost enchantment
    Edited by Lord_Eomer on January 17, 2017 12:46PM
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dodgr chane ia going tp decrease to 15% from 20% , tava is still ok choice.

But i run mostly Akalahosh/2 piece agility/3 piece eternal yakdoa + Plague Doctor with all attributes on stamina,

Chest reinforced and all remaining sturdy with 2 magicka Recovery rings enchantment and 1 rrduce block cost enchantment

Some serious spell check there.

Also nirnhoned shields are the best. Gives highest resistance somehow.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    Master Angler
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

But i run mostly Akalahosh/2 piece agility/3 piece eternal yakdoa + Plague Doctor with all attributes on stamina,

Chest reinforced and all remaining sturdy with 2 magicka Recovery rings enchantment and 1 rrduce block cost enchantment

Lol, while typing with mobile phone spelling errors can happen!

Get over it!
    Edited by Lord_Eomer on January 17, 2017 12:44PM
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Lol, while typing with mobile phone spelling errors can happen!

Get over it!

Is it android? Mine keeps spelling the as thr all thr frikin time. I cannot even get the phone dictionary to forget it.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    Master Angler
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Armor Master/ Footman/ Lord Warden op af ftw. If your group need help, go Armor Master/ Ebon/ Monster Set.

I've been toying with max Health Regen build, Beekeeper/ Orgnums Scale/ Trollkeeper. It is interesting.

There's interesting max health, vampire build that makes bone shield super strong, and invigorating drain heal unbelievably strong. Plague Doctor/ Green Pact/ Monster Pieces for Max Health.
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Please look at this -> https://woeler.eu/index.php?page=sets
  • OrphanHelgen
    OrphanHelgen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Artemiisia wrote: »
    my tank is using and old non dps build, that can stand in almost everything and dont feel it.

Remember this is old, but works :D

5 Footman (2 armor, 3 jewerly)
    5 Armor Master (3 armor, weapon, shield)
    2 Malabeth monster (self heals)

For me this build works as intended and can tank every veteran hardmode 4 man dungeons easy, but im working on the change to dps tank instead, missing one ring to do so.

I dont do trials, so I dont/wont wear like alkosh/ebon/assault for group support, its not really needed in 4 man content

All that tanky stats is not really needed either.
    PC, EU server, Ebonheart Pact

Finally a reason not to play League of Legends
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Also just an FYI, armor master is the most *** tank set in the game. Bad tanks choose armor over ultility, good tanks choose utility over armor.
  • teladoy
    teladoy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woeler wrote: »
    Also just an FYI, armor master is the most *** tank set in the game. Bad tanks choose armor over ultility, good tanks choose utility over armor.

Right, I don't want to be tanky as hell, I want to tank, but this game is not like wow, where you have to hold the agro from all mobs. In this game dungeons are fun because bring diversity. Every dungeon has somethings different, mechanics, bosses and etc.

The role of thanks and healers is bring utility apart from the role of tank or heal, because also dps needs to aport something to the fight of instead only do high dps.

So what are the sets to Tank that also bring some utility to the party?
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Woeler wrote: »

Right, I don't want to be tanky as hell, I want to tank, but this game is not like wow, where you have to hold the agro from all mobs. In this game dungeons are fun because bring diversity. Every dungeon has somethings different, mechanics, bosses and etc.

The role of thanks and healers is bring utility apart from the role of tank or heal, because also dps needs to aport something to the fight of instead only do high dps.

So what are the sets to Tank that also bring some utility to the party?

Ebon / Alkosh / monster set of choice
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well , everyone knows which sets are good . So , what I am gonna do is , tell you the sets people think are good but actually nothing but crap , waste of time and resources . And yes , I tested almost every set in the game .

Hist Bark
    Armor Master
    Trainee
    Footman
    Knightmare
    Shalk
    Werewolf
    Engine Guardian
    Mighty Chudan
    Malubeth
    Troll King
    Black Rose
    Pariah
    Lunar Bastion
    Bahraha's Curse

Except the ones that are well-know as viable/meta , I don't even consider rest as tanking sets .

You can make everything work somehow though . It is just this : Meta is meta for a reason . It is really hard to make something better than that .
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1k extra health, endless warhorn and chance for an extra 3k debuff aren't gonna help most the groups I pug with. There are more really bad players out there than good In my experiences. Like really bad.

Armor Master enables you to be extremely self sufficient. As a NightBlade, you'll never run shuffle because you have mirage. Use harness magic instead. Resistance is highly undervalued by some on here. It should not be taken for granted IMO.

When I pug a vet dungeon it's good enough to get a complete in a timely manner, quite the exception to burn everything down and be done 10 minutes later.
  • raj72616a
    raj72616a
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liofa wrote: »
    Well , everyone knows which sets are good . So , what I am gonna do is , tell you the sets people think are good but actually nothing but crap , waste of time and resources . And yes , I tested almost every set in the game .

Hist Bark
    Armor Master
    Trainee
    Footman
    Knightmare
    Shalk
    Werewolf
    Engine Guardian
    Mighty Chudan
    Malubeth
    Troll King
    Black Rose
    Pariah
    Lunar Bastion
    Bahraha's Curse

Except the ones that are well-know as viable/meta , I don't even consider rest as tanking sets .

You can make everything work somehow though . It is just this : Meta is meta for a reason . It is really hard to make something better than that .

you are not including leeching plate and defending warrior in your crap list?

these "crap" sets are helpful when one is still farming the ideal sets and could be better in pug groups than the meta sets imo
  • Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You can still use Mirage. I prefer it for the minor Ward. Put that 10k of maagicka to use.
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    raj72616a wrote: »
    Liofa wrote: »

Hist Bark
    Armor Master
    Trainee
    Footman
    Knightmare
    Shalk
    Werewolf
    Engine Guardian
    Mighty Chudan
    Malubeth
    Troll King
    Black Rose
    Pariah
    Lunar Bastion
    Bahraha's Curse

you are not including leeching plate and defending warrior in your crap list?

these "crap" sets are helpful when one is still farming the ideal sets and could be better in pug groups than the meta sets imo

As I said on my previous post , I don't even consider them as tanking sets .

Farming for ideal sets . Ok , let's see . Before Ebon/Alkosh meta , it was Tava's/Ebon . It is still viable until you get Alkosh . Tava's is craftable and you can get Ebon solo in normal Crypt of Hearts . As for monster set , 2 piece Agility/Endurance will be much more useful than any monster set I mentioned before . Good think is , you can buy them . Let's look at this again . Tava's is craftable , Agility/Endurance is buyable (cheap) , and Ebon can be farmed solo easily and still buyable in some guild traders . Yeah , better farm that defending warrior from AA which requires 12 man and leeching plate in ICP which is not soloable .
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nifty2g wrote: »
    This is all I can think of, which would be great to have a set of these laying around.

Heavy Armor Sets
    Hist Bark
    Akaviri Dragonguard
    Ebon Armory
    Bahraha's Curse
    Tava's Favor

Undaunted Sets
    Bloodspawn
    Lord Warden
    Mighty Chudan (situational)
    Swarm Mother (situational)

This is a good list of tanking sets. Ebon, Dragon and Bahraha's Curse are all drop sets so they come in jewelry. Ebon you want in jewelry and armor, no weapons and shields due to a small bug that may still be present. Match these sets with Tava's or Histbark though I would prefer Tava's most of the time since you will be using Mirage or Shuffle anyhow.

Regardless of being a magika or stam tank Mirage is fine to use. You have magika regardless and if you are stam you would only be using magika for Mirage, Siphoning Strikes and your armor buff. and should have enough magika regen to keep all those buffs up.
  • Milvan
    Milvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NB TANK?

ER5rbyd_700wa_0.gif

“Kings of the land and the sky we are; proud gryphons.” Stalker stands, the epitome of pride. Naked and muscular, his wings widen and his feet dig in as if he alone holds down the earth and supports the heavens, keeping the two ever separate.”
    Gryphons guild - @Milvan,
  • ZOS_JohanaB
    ZOS_JohanaB
    ✭✭✭✭
    We've moved this thread to Dungeons, Trials & Arenas
    Staff Post