The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Where to farm nirncrux?

• Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Holy thread necro, @Shadowshire ... did you see the dates of these posts?
    Yes, I did look at those dates. The posts are still relevant because the issue apparently has been ignored by ZOS, thus it has not been resolved. Potent Nirncrux, in particular, is too rare, and the "drop rate" for Fortified Nirncrux is also too low. Perhaps more to the point, making anything "rare" while using a Pseudorandom Number Generator to determine outcomes is not a good use of the PNG. Random is not fair, it is random.

That said, I read the discussion because I tallied over 120 ore, wood, and fiber nodes which one of my characters "gathered" during two separate "tours" of Craglorn. None of the Loot Dialogs that displayed the content of each respective node (which will not be displayed if Auto Loot is enabled), included any Nirncrux.

That total absence of Nirncrux is not what the Loot Dialogs displayed in my prior experience. They did display all types of other materials in addition to the ore, wood, or fiber, such as Regulus, Heartwood or Bast. When he collected Herbs they might include insects, worms, crawlers, and/or Alchemical Resin. Runestone nodes might include a Mundane Runestone. But, again, no Loot Dialog ever listed either Fortified Nirncrux or Potent Nirncrux.

Some time later I was considering whether to fulfill a Master Blacksmithing Writ for an item with the Nirnhoned trait. So I checked the Crafting Bag to verify how much remained available. To my surprise, instead of the two Potent Nirncrux that I expected to see, there were eight. The number of Fortified Nirncrux was significantly larger, too.

Consequently, it seems to me that the Loot Dialog which is displayed when a character "gathers" ore, wood, or fiber in Craglorn simply does not list any Nirncrux. Regardless, if the node does have Nirncrux, then it will be added either to the Materials in the characters Bags, or to the Crafting Bag instead if the player has that option enabled.

Of course, the flaw ("bug") is that Nirncrux is not listed on the Loot Dialog when it is present at a node. I can recall when the Loot Dialog did list any Nirncrux which the node contained, so I assumed that my character was not finding Nirncrux. However, if I recall correctly, this flaw became evident after the One Tamriel patch. I had forgotten about it until the accumulated Nirncrux dwindled while fulfilling Master Crafting Writs for items with Nirnhoned traits, so one of my characters needed to gather ore, wood, and/or fiber in Craglorn again.

By the way, finding 6 Potent Nirncrux while gathering 120 nodes works out to a "drop rate" of 1 in 20, i.e., 5%. That is higher than the players who began this discussion were finding when they found any at all. Perhaps they subsequently found Nirncrux in the character's bags or the Crafting Bag, or perhaps not.

Be that as it was, the Pseudorandom Number Generator has a well-known propensity to distribute one or more materials bountifully for a while but, eventually, distribute them hardly at all (if any) for approximately the same number of outcomes. There are better ways to make outcomes unpredictable to the player, but assure a fair distribution, without resorting to the vagaries of a PNG.

--- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »
    RazielDERF wrote: »
    Your best option to receive anything Nirn is to not limit it to only farming. You should also do as many blacksmith writs as possible too. This will increase the likely chances of attaining them.
    Although I don't know how many "blacksmith writs" that my characters have completed -- probably well over 1000 ordinary writs, at least 50 Master writs -- the one thing that I can assure you is that the reward container for completing any crafting writ has never contained any nirncrux. Period.

They are found only by gathering crafting materials from nodes in Craglorn (and in no other zone of Tamriel).

I would assume this poster meant to do writs for the increased chance in getting a Craglorn survey. Survey nodes do, in fact, have a chance to drop nirncrux, and it might even be at the increased rate of the raw materials. I found nirncrux on one of my survey nodes and got six, yes SIX, potent crux off a single node (not the whole survey site, just a single "rich" node).

Outside of that, you are correct in that you will not get nirncrux as an item in your writ reward container.
    Perhaps I misunderstood what @RazielDERF meant to say or to imply, but my reply was to what the message actually stated.

How recently has one of your characters found any Nirncrux at a Survey node for ore, wood, or fiber -- or even with scraps of Rubedo Leather from the furrier traps? (Isn't it odd that the animals have leather skin?)

The issue of how often Nirncrux can be found in Craglorn is clouded by an evident bug in the source code that displays the Loot Dialog for each node. Please read my reply to @Taleof2Cities in Post #24.

--- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How recently has one of your characters found any Nirncrux at a Survey node for ore, wood, or fiber -- or even with scraps of Rubedo Leather from the furrier traps? (Isn't it odd that the animals have leather skin?)

The issue of how often Nirncrux can be found in Craglorn is clouded by an evident bug in the source code that displays the Loot Dialog for each node. Please read my reply to @Taleof2Cities in Post #24.

As for me, I did receive a double fortified nirncrux at ore survey site II (near Defunct Nirncrux Mine) less than a week ago. So, these are still dropping rarely at surveys.

Occasionally (recently), I'll hear of someone in zone or guild chat having a very good nirn day on their Craglorn farming run.

I hate to say it, @Shadowshire, but it appears the drop rates are working as intended by ZOS ... even though they are still a very low drop rate.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on December 29, 2017 2:35AM
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »
    I would assume this poster meant to do writs for the increased chance in getting a Craglorn survey. Survey nodes do, in fact, have a chance to drop nirncrux, and it might even be at the increased rate of the raw materials. I found nirncrux on one of my survey nodes and got six, yes SIX, potent crux off a single node (not the whole survey site, just a single "rich" node)..

OOOooooOOOOoooo

Okay that's a really really good reason to do writs.

When I "farm" nirncrux I usually prowl around for an hour or so, and I would say about 1 run in ....6-9 gets something.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Tieberion
    Tieberion
    ✭✭✭
    My biggest beef is people of all levels have harvester bots running the "safe" path areas in a loop. Add that too the guys riding invisible at light speed that slide in and steal nodes faster than you can get off a horse should have ZOS rethink the distribution area, increase slight drop rate, or make it random from the bosses there as well.