Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PTS is now offline for the patch 10.0.0 maintenance and is currently unavailable.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Books do not fit on bookshelves

Osteos
Osteos
✭✭✭✭✭
I was excited to copy some of Shalidor's library into books to put in my house. But many of them are too big for the shelves.

32121268391_3e2a8c0ade_h.jpg

32239984645_9135f75b61_h.jpg

32121261711_05bf2133ca_h.jpg

Also if you place a book and then want to move it you grab the bookshelf everytime instead of the book. That will become amazingly frustrating if you have already placed several books.
DAGGERFALL COVENANT
NA PC
Former Vehemence Member
Onistka Valerius <> Artemis Renault <> Gonk gra-Ugrash <> Karietta <> Zercon at-Rusa <> Genevieve Renault <> Ktaka <> Brenlyn Renault
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this for me is a Big Deal as it was in morrowind and appiers will now be in ESO.
    for me, having a Library is very important and not only a hobby but a must have. and to think that the books cannot fit the shelves [same as was in morrowind] is just ...
  • Afafrenferr
    Afafrenferr
    ✭✭✭
    @ListerJMC ... uh-oh...
    PC/NA
  • TerraDewBerry
    TerraDewBerry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand your frustration, but you could in theory, either place your books on a flat shelf attached to the wall, or maybe build a bookcase out of planks if all else fails. You can also put them on tables, too with maybe nice book ends.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just like real life.

My real life solution is to lay those ones flat and stack 'em like pancakes. They work like book ends!

Kids books are the worst for this.
  • Osteos
    Osteos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After a bit more fiddling I was able to get the small books somewhat on the shelf and they are usuable but it seems much harder then it needs to be.

Also @Ahnastashia I know I can put them on sideways as shown but it isn't how I want books on a bookshelf

32241001715_1e2d22453b_h.jpg
    DAGGERFALL COVENANT
    NA PC
    Former Vehemence Member
    Onistka Valerius <> Artemis Renault <> Gonk gra-Ugrash <> Karietta <> Zercon at-Rusa <> Genevieve Renault <> Ktaka <> Brenlyn Renault
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously @ZOS?
    confused24.gif
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't help but feel like this is the exact problem which item scaling would fix. Though I guess that can be a bit of an intense coding process and is yet more data to store per item.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ListerJMC ... uh-oh...

@Afafrenferr yep, I tried putting the Eyevea books in a bookshelf to test and they didn't fit. I've been meaning to test the other ones but it looks like they don't fit either, it's worse than Oblivion book-placing... Tay's library is going to be a pile of books on the ground at this rate :(.
    Edited by ListerJMC on January 11, 2017 6:26AM
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • menedhyn
    menedhyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is disappointing. Messing around with book collections is something I was looking forward to doing with Homestead. Stacking them horizontally would be a clumsy solution. I don't mind stuff stacked on tables and on the floor, but surely bookshelves should function better than this?
    'Pure rains make sweet rivers'
  • TerraDewBerry
    TerraDewBerry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Osteos wrote: »
    After a bit more fiddling I was able to get the small books somewhat on the shelf and they are usuable but it seems much harder then it needs to be.

Also @Ahnastashia I know I can put them on sideways as shown but it isn't how I want books on a bookshelf

32241001715_1e2d22453b_h.jpg

I hope this is something ZOS can work on and fix before release. I know a lot of people were excited about being able to collect, display and use their lore books.
  • BlazingDynamo
    BlazingDynamo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish you could place your gold motif books on a shelf..
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In the real world people don't design furniture without doing some research, you know like, checking how big books actually are before dividing up the shelf height...
  • Yuls
    Yuls
    ✭✭✭✭
    Betheny wrote: »
    In the real world people don't design furniture without doing some research, you know like, checking how big books actually are before dividing up the shelf height...

And yet somehow some of my books doesn't fit into my bookshelf. Could be because books doesn't exactly have all the same normed size. There are also some really small ones, which look absolutely ridiculous in my bookshelf. No idea what the designer was thinking when designing that shelf...
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yuls wrote: »
    Betheny wrote: »

And yet somehow some of my books doesn't fit into my bookshelf. Could be because books doesn't exactly have all the same normed size. There are also some really small ones, which look absolutely ridiculous in my bookshelf. No idea what the designer was thinking when designing that shelf...

It's quite normal for old bookshelves made of solid wood to have a tall top or bottom shelf. To deal with varying book height.

This should be a simple thing to fix.
  • menedhyn
    menedhyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Betheny wrote:
    It's quite normal for old bookshelves made of solid wood to have a tall top or bottom shelf. To deal with varying book height.
    Exactly this. All mine are.

At the very least, a tweak to allow some of the other book sizes to be stored vertically would be a good thing, surely? How many different sizes do we have? How many books of each size do we have? What tweaks could we make to permit more (not necessarily all) of the books stand vertically, etc. etc.
    'Pure rains make sweet rivers'
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    menedhyn wrote: »
    What tweaks could we make to permit more (not necessarily all) of the books stand vertically, etc. etc.
    • Adjust shelf height for top or bottom shelf (increase overall height if necessary)
    • Consider making some of the chunkier shelves a little thinner.
  • moonio
    moonio
    ✭✭✭✭
    From what I can see, those types of books are not designed to be stored upright, they are special books that must lay flat or open... think about all the lore books in the game..
    If it has a buckle and lock on the front then its a special book, full of special things and should be on a table.. :)
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the
    Osteos wrote: »
    I was excited to copy some of Shalidor's library into books to put in my house. But many of them are too big for the shelves.

Also if you place a book and then want to move it you grab the bookshelf everytime instead of the book. That will become amazingly frustrating if you have already placed several books.

The bolded part part just sounds frustrating!

good job i plan on having a 'messy' library
    2012-03-05-blog-featured.jpg

• BlackEar
    BlackEar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slap please add a shelf / library for those of us who did all of the Eidetic Memory :D
    Bjorn Blackbear - Master Angler - Collector - Black Market Mogul - Ebonheart Pact - Exterminatus - EU.

Achievement hunter:

Visit my profile page to find out about which achievement I am currently hunting.

Check out Anemonean's thieving guide!
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    lol
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I will have a maze of Bookcases, all empty and at the end of the maze will be a stack of books that don't fit in them
    Argonian forever
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could even put them in the fireplace. They are magical and won't burn. :D

Seriously though, hope that will be addressed. Got to be some woodworker out there able to make larger shelves.

How many books are there actually? With the item limit might not use the shelves anyways.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is Uncle Sheo's bidding ... I just know it ...
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this for me is a Big Deal as it was in morrowind and appiers will now be in ESO.
    for me, having a Library is very important and not only a hobby but a must have. and to think that the books cannot fit the shelves [same as was in morrowind] is just ...

Agreed; I am a hoarder in these games. In Skyrim I had numerous full book shelves.
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • Scraelos
    Scraelos
    ✭✭✭
    Omg, ZOS created bookcases which can't hold books. Just like topic starter described it. After some unsuccessfull tries I just put my books on regular shelves.
    Or maybe I'm just doing something wrong?
  • clinkorz
    clinkorz
    ✭✭
    Has there been any change in this? I recently bought all the reprints and am now wishing I hadn't dropped 150k. They don't fit ;-;
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow that's super frustrating. Thanks for posting about it. I was just about to pick those books up myself but now I think I'll pass, at least until this is fixed. I tend to be incredibly ***-retentive when it comes to designing stuff like this.... and in all honesty, it's likely I would rage harder at this than I did in vMA.

Edit: Apparently a-n-a-l is a naughty word. Thanks ZOS. And here I thought this was a mature game.
    Edited by Autolycus on February 14, 2017 8:19PM
  • Komma
    Komma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought them all as well. What a waste of gold. And if you think you would be able to stick them in your bank until something is done...nope...they will forever haunt your inventory until the time you say screw it and delete them all.
    Kohma Kozzy-cr160-Stamblade
    Komma-cr160-Magicblade
    Komma the Great-cr160-Stam DK
    Kommah-cr160-Mag DK
    Komma Kozzy-cr160-Mag Templar
    Kommuh Kozzy-cr160-Stam Templar
    Komma the White-cr160-Mag Sorc
    The Tazmanian Devil-cr160-Stamsorc
    OTG
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gedalya wrote: »
    Agreed; I am a hoarder in these games. In Skyrim I had numerous full book shelves.
    The Skyrim method of doing books was so much easier. I don't know why they didn't borrow the model they used in Skyrim. I mean, they're the same company who made Skyrim, after all. :/