The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.4 on the PTS on Monday at 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC).

New ancient knowledge passive - which passive buffs which skill? (Community Project)

Masel
Masel
Class Representative
The change to ancient knowledge is a little unclear: the new passive says that inferno staffs buff your damage with single target abilities by 8%, while the lightning staff buffs your AoE abilities by 8%.

The passive does not affect:

Light and heavy attacks.
Set bonuses (I tested with grothdarr, illambris and malubeth).

I made this thread to collect data as to assess which skill benefits from which passive. Some abilities, such as velocious curse, have an AoE component and a single target component. Just comment your testing results and I will add them to the OP. :)

In the end, you can determine which weapon is better for you depending on the percentage of skills that get buffed by the respective weapon.

Sorcs:
Inferno buff:

Lightning buff:

Dragonknight:
Inferno buff:

Lightning staff:

Templar:
Inferno buff:

Lightning buff:

Nightblade:
Inferno buff:

Lightning buff:

Mages guild:
Inferno buff:

Lightning buff:

Fighters guild:
Inferno buff:

Lightning buff:

Undaunted:
Inferno buff:

Lightning buff:

Soul magic:
Inferno buff:

Lightning buff:
Edited by Masel on January 8, 2017 2:07PM
PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make another list for non class skills

I've heard fire staff buff's curse, frag, fury (but no the aoe components off them)

PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
    Options
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Make another list for non class skills

I've heard fire staff buff's curse, frag, fury (but no the aoe components off them)

You're right, I forgot the other skills, thanks!
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
    Options
  • Dionysus
    Dionysus
    ✭✭✭
    Bump...

Does anyone know if Skoria's main hit and secondary hits are buffed by different staves?
    New Bat Swarm ult partially lightning for AOE, partially fire for teleport strikes, or did these get bundled?

Meteor impact buffed by lightning most likely?

Soul Shatter does the entire skill count as AOE, or only the secondary hits?

Vicious death buffed by which?

Does the lightning staff buff it's own heavy attacks? Or just the splash damage component? Or are LA/HAs not buffed by Ancient Knowledge?

My time to test is pretty limited this week and it appears the tooltip isn't affected properly, so this will likely take somewhat time consuming testing with a group of players, but would be a great help to theorycrafters.
    Wraith Maker | Magicka Nightblade (PVP / PVE)
    Sorceress | Magicka Sorcerer (PVP)
    Options
  • Erasure
    Erasure
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, and here I was assuming weapon attacks and procs followed the logic. Test everything! :|
    Options
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seem that for skills who have both a single target and an aoe part (curse, mage wrath…), the single target part is buffed by fire, while the aoe part is buffed by lightning.
    We need to test if it apply for every skill, but I see no reason why it shouldn't (well, apart from bugs, of course).
    Options
  • Talonair
    Talonair
    Soul Shriven
    If I cast elemental storm/elemental blockade with a lightning staff, then switch to my sword + board bar, will the AoE damage increase be negated? Anyone know?
    Edited by Talonair on March 30, 2017 4:51AM
    Options
  • dpencil
    dpencil
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Talonair Yes. Dots are recalculated every tick. Leaving your lightning staff will lose the effect. Casting an aoe dot from another bar then going to lightning will add the buff.
    Options
  • Talonair
    Talonair
    Soul Shriven

Thank you!
    Options