The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why do you want an expansion?

Danikat
Danikat
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Recently I've seen a lot of people talking about how much they want an expansion and would love it if ZOS made one instead of more DLC and I really don't get it.

What can they do in an expansion that they can't do in DLC?

As far as I can see an expansion is just a bigger chunk of content, so making one instead of DLC just means waiting longer to get the same stuff all in one go. That's exactly what happened with my other MMO. They had been gradually introducing a new region and storyline with new mechanics periodically, then caved to player demands for an expansion and all releases stopped for 8 months, then we got basically 8 months of releases bundled together.

It seems like 6 of one or half a dozen of the other.

What am I missing?
PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it means the addition of a new class with Frost Magic, then yes. I want an expansion.

Are you speaking of GW2? It sounds like GW2. They used the expansion pack to introduce a new class, and I think there is a chance that ZOS will go this route too.
    Edited by Abeille on December 31, 2016 6:20PM
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • Mashille
    Mashille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There hasn't actually been a decent content chunk for a while now, Thieves Guild are Dark Brotherhood were small and while fun they didn't add a whole to to the game.

A lot of people feel the game is getting stale and a new Zone doesn't really help that much. However an expansion, that maybe adds a new class or skill line with a few new zones and new activities to do could reinvigorate the game for those people.

I am one of those people who needs something new and a large expansion would do just that as I haven't 'properly' played the game in months, just quick pop ins and such for the holiday things.
    Edited by Mashille on December 31, 2016 7:44PM
    House Baratheon: 'Ours Is The Fury'
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The dlc we have got in recent times hasn't even been that great. 2 small landmasses that if it weren't for timers placed on quests, you could wrap up in under 4 hours and a dlc that contained a couple of niche dungeons. What we're getting is poor. I wouldn't even mind getting smaller dlc if it had been somewhat interesting. Add to that, the 2 story dlc we did get weren't for every character especially if you role play. A DK or templar doing thieves guild missions? Yeah, not very immersive.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couldn't they add a new class as DLC though?
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • BossXV
    BossXV
    ✭✭✭✭
    DLC is for casuals, expansions bring long time replayability
  • QUEZ420
    QUEZ420
    ✭✭✭✭
    BossXV wrote: »

This. Nuff said.
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Whilst I don't think dlc is only for casuals, I agree completely with the sentiment behind your post. But so many people nowadays have not known anything different and just think small dlcs is how things should be done. It makes no sense either for devs to make expansions when they can sell smaller dlcs for around the same price now. Just be thankful there are still a handful of devs around (CD Projekt RED etc) that still get it.
    Edited by Prof_Bawbag on December 31, 2016 6:38PM
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actual content, not just solo story line with no impact on your chr. Reworked cp system. New dungeons, some new trials for the hardcore guys, I don't do those myself but I'm not a selfish player . Some battlegrounds for the pvprs small scale scenarios.
  • Syrani
    Syrani
    ✭✭✭✭
    What I would like to see is another big "main" story similar to the Plane meld, with a raid to go along with it. New classes and races would be good too. The DLC's we have now are small, unrelated stories that take next to no time to finish. Orsinium was a bit bigger than TG and DB, and had a bigger story, but it wasn't big enough. For people who like end game, this stuff just doesn't cut it. It's just more questing for the sake of questing. There needs to be more end game activities like raids, and something for the PVP crowd - preferably related to the story of the expansion.

We are not getting anything even remotely like that with tiny DLCs like TG and DB. It's all just fluff. This might work out for the casual players who like to hop in for a week and then disappear for months, but it does nothing to retain the most loyal players, which are the end game crowd. Those are the players that stick around for years if they are given a reason to. We need something worth while to work towards, and it isn't tiny little quest areas or a couple new dungeons.
  • Night_Wolf2112
    Night_Wolf2112
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gonna need some new character slots too! I am already full 12/12. If they add new class or race we better get 2-4 new slots.
  • Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    Recently I've seen a lot of people talking about how much they want an expansion and would love it if ZOS made one instead of more DLC and I really don't get it.

As far as I can see an expansion is just a bigger chunk of content, so making one instead of DLC just means waiting longer to get the same stuff all in one go. That's exactly what happened with my other MMO. They had been gradually introducing a new region and storyline with new mechanics periodically, then caved to player demands for an expansion and all releases stopped for 8 months, then we got basically 8 months of releases bundled together.

What am I missing?

Expansions in ESO are what they call DLC. DLC has become the new word for it, and in pretty much any game you can find the two terms are synonymous with each other. Back before the term DLC arrived, you just called them expansions (anyone who played Oblivion might be familiar with the Horse Armour expansion). Orsinium, Thieves' Guild, Dark Brotherhood and Imperial City are all expansions to the game, as they add a ton of new content, they just happen to call them DLCs. I didn't mention Shadows of the Hist since it was very limited new content and doesn't really fit the "expansion" criteria you are probably thinking of, and One Tamriel added no new content, just upscaled old stuff.

When people say they want an expansion for the game, it means they are bored and would like new content. Simple as that. It's not that they are saying they would like to wait even longer for new content.

You might be confused, since when you hear expansion you may think of WoW or a similar MMO, that has infrequent content drops with lots of new content, and then nothing for a year or more. Just because that's the way they release content, it doesn't mean that it's the only meaning of the word expansion. DLC means "downloadable content", Fallout 4, Skyrim, The Witcher 3, all of those games called their huge content drops DLCs, but that's just because that's the term you use now as most content is downloaded, compared to back in the day where you'd go to a store and install from a disc.
    "Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy nonetheless."

Fire and Ice
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think most people are saying it because it has been so long since any decent sized dlc was added to the game. So it makes themselves feel better about it, if they pretend this whole time Zos has been working on some larger styled expansion.
  • Riptide
    Riptide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Housing going to eat up Q1. But yes, it is about time for meaningful chunk of content that moves the story forward. Summerset, Vvandferfell or the like.
    Esse quam videri.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS wants to do "expansions" in a manner that drops parts of it every 3 months, or so, rather than collecting them all into a fancy package. Maybe they will decide differently, in the future, but I prefer to get my expansions as the parts are ready, rather than all at once.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • whyterose
    whyterose
    ✭✭✭
    Why? Because the game is boring doing the same repetitive stuff on several toons, the farming for gear is not worth the time. I haven't been playing ESO much, just playing single player games, no need to subscribe to ESO if I am not playing it.
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.
  • Dawnblade
    Dawnblade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »

What am I missing?

Expansions in ESO are what they call DLC. DLC has become the new word for it, and in pretty much any game you can find the two terms are synonymous with each other. Back before the term DLC arrived, you just called them expansions (anyone who played Oblivion might be familiar with the Horse Armour expansion). Orsinium, Thieves' Guild, Dark Brotherhood and Imperial City are all expansions to the game, as they add a ton of new content, they just happen to call them DLCs. I didn't mention Shadows of the Hist since it was very limited new content and doesn't really fit the "expansion" criteria you are probably thinking of, and One Tamriel added no new content, just upscaled old stuff.

When people say they want an expansion for the game, it means they are bored and would like new content. Simple as that. It's not that they are saying they would like to wait even longer for new content.

You might be confused, since when you hear expansion you may think of WoW or a similar MMO, that has infrequent content drops with lots of new content, and then nothing for a year or more. Just because that's the way they release content, it doesn't mean that it's the only meaning of the word expansion. DLC means "downloadable content", Fallout 4, Skyrim, The Witcher 3, all of those games called their huge content drops DLCs, but that's just because that's the term you use now as most content is downloaded, compared to back in the day where you'd go to a store and install from a disc.

Expansion does not equal DLC when it comes to typical MMOs.

Expansion typically means a level cap increase / gear rest, multiple new zones, reworked classes / abilities, major game system changes / additions, possible new classes / races, multiple new dungeons / raids / PVP at new level cap, etc.

DLC typically means a much more limited focus of content and typically without a level cap increase - like a new zone, a few new dungeons, a new story line, etc.

Of course game marketing teams try to pass off a small DLC type patch as an expansion, but generally people in MMOs asking for an expansion are looking for a very large content patch that goes beyond a single zone, story, or a couple of dungeons.

Edited by Dawnblade on December 31, 2016 7:45PM
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dawnblade wrote: »
    Saturn wrote: »

What am I missing?

Expansion does not equal DLC when it comes to typical MMOs.

Expansion typically means a level cap increase / gear rest, multiple new zones, reworked classes / abilities, major game system changes / additions, possible new classes / races, multiple new dungeons / raids / PVP at new level cap, etc.

DLC typically means a much more limited focus of content and typically without a level cap increase - like a new zone, a few new dungeons, a new story line, etc.

Of course game marketing teams try to pass off a small DLC type patch as an expansion, but generally people in MMOs asking for an expansion are looking for a very large content patch that goes beyond a single zone, story, or a couple of dungeons.

hoestly ESO last3 DLC were worth maybe 7.99 . they are getting greedy now
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know, maybe? Hopefully? Sounds like such a big change, and the DLCs we had lately were so small :(

Maybe that's why I feel an expansion pack would be needed. We had such small DLCs lately that everything I want added sound like too big of a deal to be added like this.
    Edited by Abeille on December 31, 2016 9:52PM
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Zeni's usual mode of operation has been not to include anything in a DLC that would upset the existing game balance--no new skills that might be 'required' by a portion of the fanbase. This is why Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood skill lines only have passives.

So while I wouldn't discount the possibility entirely, it's unlikely to happen.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • cpuScientist
    cpuScientist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An expansion is DLC though...
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Zeni's usual mode of operation has been not to include anything in a DLC that would upset the existing game balance--no new skills that might be 'required' by a portion of the fanbase. This is why Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood skill lines only have passives.

that is a huge cop out. they are passives because it was far easier and cheaper to do. everyone screams buisness sense when we point out the BS dlc. But it would have made every bit of sense to put skill lines in those DLC's because more people would have bought them. they did that because it was easier and cheaper to do. im not buying the upset the game balance. they upset the game balance for near 18 months leaving the Light armor passives so clearly over powered.
  • Egonieser
    Egonieser
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would much rather have one big expansion with tons of new content in one go than small drip-feeds they call DLC's that have less content than a starting island (and no, I don't consider repeatables a worthwhile content).
    Small DLC's means we will be getting small maps, small chunks of content instead of something grand and breathtaking.
    I would personally consider Orsinium to be an expansion and I want to see more of Orsinium-type content instead of DB-type content, and for me it's worth the wait. I don't need things here and now and right this instant like new millenials, I believe that good things take time and are worth waiting for.
    Sometimes, I dream about...cheese...

Dermont - v16 Pompous Altmer Sorcerer (With a very arrogant face!)
    Egonieser - v16 Nord Stamina Dragonborn Wannabe
    Endoly - v16 Tiny Redguard Sharpened MaceBlade
    Egosalina - v16 Breton Cheesus Beam Specialist
    Egowen - v16 Dunmer Whipping Expert (Riding crops eluded her)
    (Yes, I had to grind all these to v16)
    Akamanakh - lvl 22 Khajiit GankBlade (Inspired by Top Cat)
    Targos Icewind - lvl 34 Imperial (Future) Jabplar
    (CP 830+)

PC - EU
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never seen an 'expansion' that has offered long term replayability. Mind giving me some examples?
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    An expansive DLC?
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never seen an 'expansion' that has offered long term replayability. Mind giving me some examples?

Kunark eq2 fyadwer EQ2 ,Godslayer AOC, all of those had about 6 months or more of replayablity faction quests guild quests more crafting tiers. dungeons and raids. new starting zones for those that wanted to reroll. ESO DLC's are about 2 weeks worth of play time
  • KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've been waiting for a serious content drop. The last DLC was the hist dungeons, One Tamriel massively overhauled the vanilla content but added very little that was new and even less if you only consider things that required the development of new assets, housing is an unknown at the moment but we can expect that any new content it brings will not make use of our gear or combat skills and at best will be a great boon to roleplaying and craftsmanship.

We have already done the waiting part, I think. There will be another 3 months after housing with nothing new, an expansion isn't out of left field or anything.
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].
  • EldritchPenguin
    EldritchPenguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

that is a huge cop out. they are passives because it was far easier and cheaper to do. everyone screams buisness sense when we point out the BS dlc. But it would have made every bit of sense to put skill lines in those DLC's because more people would have bought them. they did that because it was easier and cheaper to do. im not buying the upset the game balance. they upset the game balance for near 18 months leaving the Light armor passives so clearly over powered.
    There's a pretty big difference between "light armor passives are overpowered" and "some strong abilities are only accessible by spending more money." The first is an upset of balance, which, while a problem, is more or less unavoidable and relatively forgivable. The second is pretty much the textbook definition of pay to win, which would anger a lot of players, and is the very thing that dug the grave of many MMOs. The route they took, which was providing passives that had a minor impact on gameplay, was a good move, because they are completely exclusive to people with the DLC.

If they wanted to add powerful active abilities, then they would've had to make the skill lines available to the entire playerbase.
    Lilelle Adlis - Dark Elf Dragonknight

Vaynothah Sailenar - Dark Elf Templar

Sherivah Telvanni - Dark Elf Sorcerer

Nephiah Telvanni - Dark Elf Nightblade
  • Milvan
    Milvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO does needs to bring up more content and more often, it's doesn't matter if it's just dlc or expansion. I mean one trial and two group dungeons per year is absolutely stupid. I don't know whose stupid idea was that but he(she) deserves to be fired.
    Edited by Milvan on December 31, 2016 11:01PM
    “Kings of the land and the sky we are; proud gryphons.” Stalker stands, the epitome of pride. Naked and muscular, his wings widen and his feet dig in as if he alone holds down the earth and supports the heavens, keeping the two ever separate.”
    Gryphons guild - @Milvan,
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a pretty big difference between "light armor passives are overpowered" and "some strong abilities are only accessible by spending more money." The first is an upset of balance, which, while a problem, is more or less unavoidable and relatively forgivable. The second is pretty much the textbook definition of pay to win, which would anger a lot of players, and is the very thing that dug the grave of many MMOs. The route they took, which was providing passives that had a minor impact on gameplay, was a good move, because they are completely exclusive to people with the DLC.

If they wanted to add powerful active abilities, then they would've had to make the skill lines available to the entire playerbase.

No the answer was to include those guilds with the base game like they stated several times pre and post launch that they would be in around the 6 month mark. They canned them and held them to make money.it was easier and cheaper to balance making them passive. Those guilds were 75% done on launch day along with craglorn. Eso did what they did they went for a fast money grab. All that garbage about not wanting to ruin balance came when the community started getting outraged at the lack of substance the two most unique and fun guilds in the Elder Scrolls IP were neuter to lame.
    Edited by Wifeaggro13 on December 31, 2016 11:21PM
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Okay I play slow enough that most of my 16 characters aren't yet lvl 50+

That being said, an expansion ... like justice system or housing (and especially crafting furniture) or One Tamriel are things that make the whole world richer.

What would I personally like?

More jewelry options; a revision of the appearance/memento tab so that hair; jewelry, tattoos, scars, and possibly even things like hair color (including funky pink dyed hair) are all separate and in the case of scars, that you could enable them ALL on one character (yes, I do have someone in mind).

Variable "grouping" so that any time you do a "dungeon" "pledge" "trial" (basically anything that's instanced) you can have any number of people up to a maximum and the event adjusts itself accordingly.

semi-instanced "daily objectives" in Cyrodiil; such that a group from each faction gathers and they fight it out, with a timer that adds NPC's who help/hinder (maybe according to who is losing/winning).

Those are the first few that come to mind.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis