The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Should pvp servers fully reset at campains end?

• Shadowasrial
    Shadowasrial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also proposed for single day campains. I expect it would create extremely dynamic and huge fights. Where everyone could fight to get emp every day
  • EnglishNorwegian
    No thank you. Here's why: A, if you want to keep Emperorship and you fight well to keep your emperorship for more than 7 days (30 if on those campaigns) than you have rebuild every week (or month) which is annoying. B, screw Clivia Tharn and her Imperials taking the throne back.
  • Shadowasrial
    Shadowasrial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the problem right there. Emp should not carry over to next campain it doesn't matter how hard you fought to get it and keep it. Once you win the campaign it should be gone. It's the start of a new one. There's to many players in the game that want emp and keeping emp gives you such a huge boost for staying in first place. So no it shouldn't carry over. Too many times iv seen an emp go out into a pug army and bomb the hell out of it and get 20-40k ap in just a few minutes. While it can take forever for others to build that kind of tick at a keep. Once youv had your fun as emp and the campain is over you should have to work just as hard as everyone else to get it again.
  • Shadowasrial
    Shadowasrial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget to vote people! Your input could catch zos attention!
  • Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I were to set up a keep reset...
    I envision a step-by-step going like this...

At the conclusion of the campaign, final reward tiers are calculated. Then the new campaign is initiated with zeroed numbers.

In the keeps, a Force of imperials erupt from every portal spot - each corner and the transit shrine. 50 per portal. Two-handers that love gap closing and reverse slice, healers with wards, archers with poison and crowd control, mages with negate, rogues with teleport strike that mark you - teams of 5 come from each portal each 2 seconds in 10 waves to scour the keep. They are aggro to everything, of course. The alliance npc's despawn because they are wise enough not to stick around. The keep is immediately flagged, no respawning unless there's a forward camp set up inside the wall. If players kill an imperial, reinforcements arrive.

Outside the keeps, same force arrives from each corner portal, 10 teams of 5. 2 teams patrol to the next corner to the left, 2 teams patrol to the right, 2 patrol the ramparts to the left, 2 patrol the ramparts to the right, 2 teams patrol the stairs there. They repair walls without being limited by the 'recent damage' mechanic.

250 buffed imperials take the keep. The system respawns them until they complete the reset. They don't give xp or ap, so there's little reason to damage your armor and spend your gems or pots or food fighting them. It's like fighting a guard - sure you can Zerg them for a while but eventually they will wipe you out. When all imperials have left the status of aggro on something and the walls are repaired, the keep is considered reset.

After the keep is taken and reset to white and becomes unflagged, the wall repair is turned off. The reinforcement is turned off. Scrolls move to their temples. Xp and ap gain from killing those imperials is turned on.

Then, the keep is ready to be attacked and taken by one of the alliances. It will be a tough nut to crack, because there are still 250 buffed imperials actively patrolling the inside in teams of 5.

Xbox NA
  • Stovahkiin
    Stovahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cryptical wrote: »

At the conclusion of the campaign, final reward tiers are calculated. Then the new campaign is initiated with zeroed numbers.

In the keeps, a Force of imperials erupt from every portal spot - each corner and the transit shrine. 50 per portal. Two-handers that love gap closing and reverse slice, healers with wards, archers with poison and crowd control, mages with negate, rogues with teleport strike that mark you - teams of 5 come from each portal each 2 seconds in 10 waves to scour the keep. They are aggro to everything, of course. The alliance npc's despawn because they are wise enough not to stick around. The keep is immediately flagged, no respawning unless there's a forward camp set up inside the wall. If players kill an imperial, reinforcements arrive.

Outside the keeps, same force arrives from each corner portal, 10 teams of 5. 2 teams patrol to the next corner to the left, 2 teams patrol to the right, 2 patrol the ramparts to the left, 2 patrol the ramparts to the right, 2 teams patrol the stairs there. They repair walls without being limited by the 'recent damage' mechanic.

250 buffed imperials take the keep. The system respawns them until they complete the reset. They don't give xp or ap, so there's little reason to damage your armor and spend your gems or pots or food fighting them. It's like fighting a guard - sure you can Zerg them for a while but eventually they will wipe you out. When all imperials have left the status of aggro on something and the walls are repaired, the keep is considered reset.

After the keep is taken and reset to white and becomes unflagged, the wall repair is turned off. The reinforcement is turned off. Scrolls move to their temples. Xp and ap gain from killing those imperials is turned on.

Then, the keep is ready to be attacked and taken by one of the alliances. It will be a tough nut to crack, because there are still 250 buffed imperials actively patrolling the inside in teams of 5.

Nice idea, but that many npcs running around in each keep and actually doing things would likely cause even more lag then we've got now. It would be easier to just port all players out of the campaigns at reset and send the participants mail saying "Oh well, the imps have managed to retake everything, lets go take it back!"
    Edited by Stovahkiin on January 2, 2017 8:03PM
    Beware the battle cattle, but don't *fear* the battle cattle!
  • SanTii.92
    SanTii.92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    It wouldn't kill the population. Becuse knowing the whole map would be turning neutral could help bolster players to come back in near end of campaign so they can form groups when it does reset. Who ever is emp would be deposed. No more emps for weeks at a time.
    I don't agree with that. Knowing the campaign will reset, there would be no motivation for people to work for anything, as they know that all they gain will be lost. Although saying that, that really applies only to an active campaign. When the keeps are changing a lot and people are engaged, any systematic change that upsets the player-created situation would deter participation. But in a dead campaign, it may encourage people to come back. So I think active campaigns should not reset, while dead campaigns should reset.

No @endoc i think you are considering this the wrong way. Good fights and proper pvp is all the incentive you need to b playing the game, not score, is the other way around.

A reset of keeps claims will attracted players to campaigns otherwise desserted because of pvedooring and buff servers. No one wants to join a map completely dominated and roflstomped.

While not many will really abandon cyrodiil because keeps are gonna flip back if they are having fun with decent fights.

I love this idea, think it's very simple yet would do so much to short campaigns like haderus that really need a good,population injection (and at the same time got just too many on tf).
    When the snows fall and the white winds blow,
    the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives.

Arg | Pc Na | Factionless Mag Warden.
  • Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stovahkiin wrote: »
    Cryptical wrote: »

Nice idea, but that many npcs running around in each keep and actually doing things would likely cause even more lag then we've got now. It would be easier to just port all players out of the campaigns at reset and send the participants mail saying "Oh well, the imps have managed to retake everything, lets go take it back!"

No, what you suggest would create a huge spike of net traffic as every person was transferred off the pvp machine to the pve machine, dropping sudden burdens on the pve machine to pull some acrobatic instance-balancing long load screens on everyone in that server, all at once. Any hiccups in this and there would be many dozens of crashes - not just happening to the pvp transferring into the pve server but also to pve people who are getting shuffled into new instances of the map.

And then it would happen again, as the people you just booted off the pvp machine all hit 'join campaign' in a flood.

You.
    Are.
    Not.
    Sane.

That many npc bodies would actually be MUCH easier to have than that many players, because zeni doesn't have 250 streams of input coming into their server controlling those 250 bodies to be processed.

250 players vs 250 players = 500 inputs being received, 500 attacks being processed, results duplicated to 500 outputs.

250 players vs 250 npc mobs = 250 inputs being processed, 500 attacks being processed, results duplicated to 250 outputs.

See how that cuts the amount of net traffic in half?
    Xbox NA
  • Shadowasrial
    Shadowasrial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While i like the idea of seeing a massive swarm of imperials storming a keep to make for a massive battle I think that is just entirely too complicated for zenimax. A simple reset would suffice. At end of campain roughly 5 minutes after the conclusion it will automatically port all players where ever they are ( to include delves ) back to their respective bases. Such a action would prevent people camping outside keeps at the end to try to quickly snipe keeps closer to enemy gates.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SanTii.92 wrote: »
    Enodoc wrote: »
    It wouldn't kill the population. Becuse knowing the whole map would be turning neutral could help bolster players to come back in near end of campaign so they can form groups when it does reset. Who ever is emp would be deposed. No more emps for weeks at a time.
    I don't agree with that. Knowing the campaign will reset, there would be no motivation for people to work for anything, as they know that all they gain will be lost. Although saying that, that really applies only to an active campaign. When the keeps are changing a lot and people are engaged, any systematic change that upsets the player-created situation would deter participation. But in a dead campaign, it may encourage people to come back. So I think active campaigns should not reset, while dead campaigns should reset.
    No endoc i think you are considering this the wrong way. Good fights and proper pvp is all the incentive you need to b playing the game, not score, is the other way around.

A reset of keeps claims will attracted players to campaigns otherwise desserted because of pvedooring and buff servers. No one wants to join a map completely dominated and roflstomped.

While not many will really abandon cyrodiil because keeps are gonna flip back if they are having fun with decent fights.

I love this idea, think it's very simple yet would do so much to short campaigns like haderus that really need a good,population injection (and at the same time got just too many on tf).
    I definitely see how it would attract players to deserted campaigns.

If you are correct, and if it wouldn't result in people losing interest in an active campaign near the reset date, and if instead, as you say, they continue to play anyway because of the decent fights, then I would be all for it. But that's the main opposition reason I see every time someone makes this suggestion; people don't want to work hard for something they're going to immediately lose.

Case 1:
    "Yes! We finally got Emperor!"
    **Campaign Reset**
    "Oh. Well that was pointless. Now we have to do it all again, and I can't be bothered."

Case 2:
    "Come on guys, let's push for Emperor!"
    "Nah, there's no point. Campaign resets in a few days/hours."
    *Campaign participation drops*

Equally though, if scoring isn't important, then maybe they should do away with the scoring altogether, and then campaigns would never need to reset.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Shadowasrial
    Shadowasrial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well hopefully zenimax will read this post and take some of this under consideration. It would make pvp more enjoyable if we knew that every start would be on equal footing. Also I would like to see more use out of resource camps. Maybe instead of buying repair kits from the merchants the resources can stockpile wood repair kits from the lumber mill wall repair kits from the mine and food and potions from the farm. These camps would only generate the amount of repairs it would take to fix that keep. This would make it so we would actually need to defend the keeps resources so we can fix our keeps after each defense. Controlling the resources would make it so you could more easily defend your keep. They could also provide supply trains with said resources to keeps without resources that people could break off and capture to bolster our defenses or starve our enemies
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hmmmmm, so that at the end of a campaign everyone currently in it gets automatically kicked to their home base...every resource goes white...scrolls return home...

that sounds like fun to me, although unless it happens on a weekend, I myself may never get to see it...

I like your idea :smile:
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Shadowasrial
    Shadowasrial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This poll is doing great :) let's keep it going!
  • themdogesbite
    themdogesbite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not just give each alliance their homekeeps back at the reset and one of the outposts?
    :]
  • Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whether or not people would lose interest in a campaign because it ends in a few hours is irrelevant, because people already lose interest in a campaign that another alliance dominated at the start due to a lack of reset.

Put another way - in some weekly campaigns the lack of a reset results in an alliance owning the map and racking up a large scoring lead from the start of the clock, which has already been leading to people losing interest while there are days to go.

So the concern that people may lose interest in those final hours doesn't matter, because people are already losing interest in final days.
    Xbox NA