The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Heavy attack better than skill

kaithuzar
kaithuzar
✭✭✭✭✭
IMO, this is an in balance ZOS needs to correct.
If you are a stamina user and you are not performing at a heavy attack before executing any damaging skill you're doing it wrong.
I.e... heavy attack critical rush, heavy attack dizzying swing, heavy attack reverse slice.
Just a few points into the champion tree for increase heavy attack damage will make a heavy attack perform 50% better than a typical skill attack. Take that statement with a grain of salt because obviously it's not exact but it's what I feel is happening.

Technically magic users can utilize this as well but the problem is that a destruction heavy attack can be reflected, or even dodged if the opponent has shuffle.

If you're running duel wield this doesn't work as well especially if you are magic duel wield because you're heavy attacks are based off weapon damage and yet you're stacking spell damage for your abilities.

Hopefully ZOS well look at this or take it into effect before the balance changes.

-Kai
(The last magicka melee nightblade)
Edited by kaithuzar on December 27, 2016 4:30PM
Member of:
Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
Just Chill - Crown's house
GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
Legend - Siffer fan boy club
TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
Purple - hamNchz is my hero
Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • MrTtheDK
    MrTtheDK
    ✭✭✭
    IMO heavy armored melee magicka nightblades need nerfed.
    Main:
    DC- Diablo Azul , Mr T

Alts: Nerf Something or Another

Guild: - Imperial City Police
    RIP Guilds: Purple, WKB, Eight Divines, Rage, What Mechanics, Entropy Rising
    Game: @TalosSeptim
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • Emothic
    Emothic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do the oposite. Heavy attacks take to long, it are very hard to animation cancle during large PvP battles. So I just preform light attacks to skill attack, light attack to skill attack and so on. I don't get the stamina regen as I would with a heavy attack, but using a light attack reduces stamina cost and If I can use it at the right times I can deal quite a bit of damage. At least as much as I can being a DK tank.
    Lord Emothic Von Hellsing of ze Hellsing Family.
    Dragon Knight of the Ebonheart Pact. Xbox One - NA
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What a strange thing to complain about...

Heavy attack IS a skill, so of course it should deal respectable damage. Due to the wind-up time, I think the current damage of light/heavy attacks is appropriate.
    Edited by Solariken on December 27, 2016 5:46PM
  • Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see this as you being upset that your DW magicka build doesn't get the benefit from heavy attacks that a staff magicka build or a DW/2h stamina build gets.

You realize that staffs have their own advantage of doing the attack from range? Bow heavy attacks can also be reflected. And all heavy attacks can be dodged by major evasion, which you have easy magicka-based access to on your nightblade.

Heavy attacks are extremely obvious animations and have a long charge time (roughly 2s). Medium Attacks (still say heavy in combat log) do a lot less damage and don't return any resources like a fully charged one does.
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu the Destroyer - NB
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much agree with you kutsuu, however it does bring up the whole "shuffle is better than double take" argument, as well as "lag or animation canceling can be factors of whether or not you notice the windup animation".
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • Bazeric
    Bazeric
    ✭✭✭✭
    kaithuzar wrote: »
    -Kai

Good luck, now that the campaign cycle has finally reset I have moved to a different character to try some other playstyles (though technically still mag melee :-] ) because I am tired mentally and physically from playing my melee magblade.

I have to admit though, I'm not quite sure what this is supposed to be about.

"Give us magical dual wield weapons" ...? Weaving is almost a detriment to my melee magblade in Cyrolag
    "Buff Concealed Weapon" ...? Surprise Attack is far and away better for DPS, a stun is meaningless now that CP and regens are through the roof.
    "Give us instant magical proc sets" ...? I know I'd farm a lot of salt if I had an extra 6K on my opens. Then I'd be able to attack people with more than 22K health.
    "Shuffle is better than Double Take" Agreed, I dodged a total of 0 (yes zero) Incapacitating strikes with Double Take for at least the last campaign and a half since I started noticing.

-Some Guy
    (2nd or 3rd to last magicka melee nightblade)
    ((Though the last week and a half I quit melee and spammed heals because I was that fed up with the state of PVP))
    Looking for broken things in hopes they may be fixed. I've given up, my game literally works differently from yours.
    64M+ AP across 9 toons... kinda makes me a GO
  • Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol major evasion is major evasion. I've interchangeably used both on my nightblades and haven't seen anything that makes me suspicious. Unless you have actual evidence it's just speculation.
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are people that have posted the evidence but it was like .1 or .3 difference idk exactly; something small mathematically but still heavily felt that people know it to be true
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • Kram8ion
    Kram8ion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just too slow imo when I can do two skill attacks in the same window
    ps4eu
    Kramm stam man kittyblade

• Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are people that have posted the evidence but it was like .1 or .3 difference idk exactly; something small mathematically but still heavily felt that people know it to be true

When we're trying to test a 20% chance, a difference of 0.1-0.3% is well within the margin of error for even a 3000 hit test. You can expect a margin of error around 3% with a 1000 hit test, for example.
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • Rohaus
    Rohaus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Melee heavy attacks are extremely difficult to land especially if your target is aware. Trying to finish someone off with a heavy attack is extremely difficult due to said target engaging in a dodge roll heal. It would be better to use a true execute and only that ability because even using a light attack before and execute can mean the target has more time to survive... split second is more than enough time for evasive defense.
    YouTube channel Rohaus Lives!
    Daggerfall Covenant
    VR16 DragonKnight
  • Bandit1215
    Bandit1215
    ✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    What a strange thing to complain about...

Heavy attack IS a skill, so of course it should deal respectable damage. Due to the wind-up time, I think the current damage of light/heavy attacks is appropriate.

Heavy attack isn't a skill. If it is, well then I have never heard of a skill that doesn't need a bar slot...
    CP 561
    • vSO HM - Completed
    • vAA - Completed
    • vHRC - Completed

• Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    IMO, this is an in balance ZOS needs to correct.
    If you are a stamina user and you are not performing at a heavy attack before executing any damaging skill you're doing it wrong.
    I.e... heavy attack critical rush, heavy attack dizzying swing, heavy attack reverse slice.
    Just a few points into the champion tree for increase heavy attack damage will make a heavy attack perform 50% better than a typical skill attack. Take that statement with a grain of salt because obviously it's not exact but it's what I feel is happening.

Technically magic users can utilize this as well but the problem is that a destruction heavy attack can be reflected, or even dodged if the opponent has shuffle.

If you're running duel wield this doesn't work as well especially if you are magic duel wield because you're heavy attacks are based off weapon damage and yet you're stacking spell damage for your abilities.

Hopefully ZOS well look at this or take it into effect before the balance changes.

-Kai

Wrong.

I am also a magicka melee nightblade

But i agree with the rest.

I do use heavy attack before i conceal weapon. But it's like giving kiss on a cheek compared to my stamblade counterparts.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kutsuu wrote: »
    I see this as you being upset that your DW magicka build doesn't get the benefit from heavy attacks that a staff magicka build or a DW/2h stamina build gets.

You realize that staffs have their own advantage of doing the attack from range? Bow heavy attacks can also be reflected. And all heavy attacks can be dodged by major evasion, which you have easy magicka-based access to on your nightblade.

Heavy attacks are extremely obvious animations and have a long charge time (roughly 2s). Medium Attacks (still say heavy in combat log) do a lot less damage and don't return any resources like a fully charged one does.

I love when people bring up the RANGE arguement to justify magicka gimp playstyles. More so in a game like this where ranged gap closers are highly spammable and make the whole traditional case of ranged casters should have lower damage because well range, a highly mute point. The only people who have the luxury of range in this game is Bow users and guess what? That's stamina not magicka.

But w/e keep talking about things you should not be talking about. Unless you are just attempting to troll the people on the forums then by all means continue, I'll get my popcorn out and watch the show.
    Edited by FearlessOne_2014 on December 29, 2016 8:29PM
  • Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I love when people bring up the RANGE arguement to justify magicka gimp playstyles. More so in a game like this where ranged gap closers are highly spammable and make the whole traditional case of ranged casters should have lower damage because well range, a highly mute point. The only people who have the luxury of range in this game is Bow users and guess what? That's stamina not magicka.

But w/e keep talking about things you should not be talking about. Unless you are just attempting to troll the people on the forums then by all means continue, I'll get my popcorn out and watch the show.

Lmao staff attacks do not have lower damage. The highest damage heavy attacks in the game right now come from inferno staffs with a build that supports it (we're talking 20k+). The point is that projectiles can be reflected, and attacks from bows plus ice and fire staffs are projectiles. Maybe the bow users should complain that there is no stamina counterpart to the lightning and resto staffs with heavy attacks that can't be reflected.

You acting like range has no advantages simply because someone can gap close is laughable.
    Edited by Kutsuu on December 29, 2016 9:27PM
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • cschwingeb14_ESO
    cschwingeb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Range has advantages, but also disadvantages too. Sure, only 1 in 4 classes can reflect. But with limited slots, you can't just swap out skills when you see a DK. You have to play around the wings that they control.
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I find range to be somewhat of a advantage. What I like to do is stay in that 6 to 10 meter range. That way the only ability a melee fighter can hit me with is a gap closer. As a ranged build you should also have some anti melee abilities on your bar like mines or shade. Ranged builds are really good at keeping pressure off them. The playstyle is a little gimped in open world cyrodiil because often times people will just hide behind trees and rocks forcing you to fight in melee range. Overall though I feel range has alot of advantages at least for my playstyle. I main a magblade and I find kiting and destro staff to be very smooth and effective
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavy attack needs changed...... ha ha ha ha. Good one!
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Range has advantages, but also disadvantages too. Sure, only 1 in 4 classes can reflect. But with limited slots, you can't just swap out skills when you see a DK. You have to play around the wings that they control.

Wrong.
    Are you forgetting about the sword & board reflect i.e.. defensive posture
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    That feeling when heavy attack deal more damage than Incap Strike ult...