The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Bring back 8m impulse.

IxSTALKERxI
IxSTALKERxI
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Ok, so to start off here is a little bit of a history lesson for everyone. Back in the old days, impulse had an 8m radius. At the time stamina builds weren't viable and light armor had decent survivability. As a result, groups ran around spamming impulse. This created an uproar in the community and rather than making other alternatives to impulse viable zos nerfed the radius to 6m and called it a day.

Since then the game balance has changed quite a bit, here are a couple of things that come to mind:

-Dual wield now gives more weapon & spell power than a 2h item such as a destruction staff.
- Stam is now a viable option instead of just magicka.
- Light armor is more squishy
- Movement as a magicka build can sometimes be difficult with the amount of snares / roots in pvp now days.
- Players spread out more
- Negate is OP

I suggest that impulse and it's morphs get changed back to 8m radius to bring it back in line with the other comparable AoE abilities such as: Sap Essence, Steel tornado (9m, can't be negated) and Solar Barrage (needs snare bug to be fixed). It's also worth noting that the old impulse animation looked absolutely amazing.

Here is a tooltip comparison of these AoE's:

mqLZFDl.jpg

Remember, the tooltips shown on these abilities can be increased even further with dual wield slotted. Steel tornado can also be used inside a negate and on builds with much higher resistances that can dodge roll around.

Oh and for those DK's out there who think I forgot about your 6m talons, I didn't. Talons is a very powerful root and so should stay at 6m imo.

P.S. This is now a buff sorc thread.

Edited by IxSTALKERxI on December 26, 2016 5:35AM
NA | PC | Aldmeri Dominion
Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
Former Emperor x11 campaign cycles
Venatus Officer | RIP RÁGE | YouTube Channel

Bring back 8m impulse. 114 votes

Yes. Make impulse great again. (Buff magicka sorc!)
81%
kewlfastolfv_ESOSolarikenJoy_DivisionColoursYouHaveManoekinArmitasRadioheadSh0tKilandrosLightspeedflashb14_ESOCinnamon_Spiderpjwb16_ESOTaonnorIruil_ESOEtanielKagheithemdogesbitekrimIxSTALKERxIAenlir 93 votes
No. Death to all impulse monkey spammers. I want Sap essence on my death recap instead.
18%
MorbashGilvothkadarlolo_01b16_ESOsilky_softKartalinMojomonkeymanIyasCinbriJDarAquanovaCyrusAryaSugaroverdosekuro-donosusmitdsVitaelyTheHyperionbjlaxFoolishHumanJamini 21 votes
  • stealthyevil
    stealthyevil
    ✭✭✭
    Onion rings and funions for all!!
    Ex-Gf/Steálthy MagNb Destro Spam
    Cliff Racer Spam MagDen Bird Spam
    @stealthyevil

RÁGE RIP
    Venatus
  • JDar
    JDar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Death to all impulse monkey spammers. I want Sap essence on my death recap instead.
    You neglect to mention that Sap Essence was buffed by 20% a couple of patches ago and is currently one of the most effective AoE non-ultimate spells in the game, which it otherwise would not have been. They appropriately balanced sorcs running impulse
    Edited by JDar on December 26, 2016 6:22AM
  • JDar
    JDar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sap Essence is one of the few reasons magblades are viable in group play now
  • JDar
    JDar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to also add that Pulsar is still a very effective skill for the health debuff. Unfortunately if it is not on youtube then a lot of people won't touch it. But Minor Mangle is still very effective. All it takes is people to think for themselves about what skills they are using! That doesn't happen much in this game though! I run Frost Pulsar all the time and it is very effective!
  • stealthyevil
    stealthyevil
    ✭✭✭
    JDar wrote: »

Nerf to proxy, bugged clouding swarm and nerfed return on sap heal are reasons why effective groups aren't comprised of mainly magblades anymore. The only thing keeping magblade even remotely viable in group play right now is D-Ult. Otherwise sorry bro, sap isn't winning any DPS race.
    Ex-Gf/Steálthy MagNb Destro Spam
    Cliff Racer Spam MagDen Bird Spam
    @stealthyevil

RÁGE RIP
    Venatus
  • NACtron
    NACtron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I get my 11m Steel tornado back too? :p
    Edited by NACtron on December 26, 2016 6:58AM
    Pact Militia GM
    Nikolai the Nord - Stamplar

• Mojomonkeyman
    Mojomonkeyman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So all the zerg scrubs can spam impulse inbetween the destro ults again, yay.... not really.
    Koma Grey, Chocolate Thunder, Little Mojo, Dagoth Mojo & Mojomancy
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So all the zerg scrubs can spam impulse inbetween the destro ults again, yay.... not really.

This would be with destro ult out of the picture, which it will be
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I currently spam steel tornado inside my destro ult.

Also, buffing the range of impulse could work well if they nerf destro ult at the same time.
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NACtron wrote: »
    Can I get my 11m Steel tornado back too? :p

Tornado is fine as is :p
  • Minnesinger
    Minnesinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes and I would also like to see Elemental Ring to be viable again. They nerfed it way too hard and it is useless as it is.
    Edited by Minnesinger on December 26, 2016 8:35AM
    The wind is cold where I live,
    The blizzard is my home,
    Snow and ice and loaded dice, the Wizard lives alone.
  • Valencer
    Valencer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JDar wrote: »

Nightblades have +8% max magicka, +10% crit damage and minor berserk, in addition to being one of 2 classes that has a viable spammable magicka AoE that can be used on a dual wield bar. They also have access to the most powerful CC in the game (fear)

All this together makes them the only logical choice for damage in PvP group play atm.

Giving other classes access to a viable spammable magicka AoE again would not make NBs less viable at all (theyd still hit the hardest by far)... it would simply mean people arent totally gimping their groups if they bring anything besides magblades for damage. Would be a good change that would lead to more variety imo.
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need Columba in this thread.
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • FoolishHuman
    FoolishHuman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or maybe just get rid of that generic damage bonus from dual-wielding. Weapon damage would be more than enough and would solve a lot of problems.
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar skill bugged, why am I not surprised.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes please i want a vaible aoe on sorc for pvp.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Sugaroverdose
    Sugaroverdose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh and for those DK's out there who think I forgot about your 6m talons, I didn't. Talons is a very powerful root and so should stay at 6m imo.
    Impulse is a very powerful AoE, so it should stay 6m imo
  • Sanct16
    Sanct16
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Talons should be 8m as well.
    - EU - Raid Leader of Banana Zerg Squad
    AD | AR 50 | Sanct Fir'eheal | ex Mana DK @31.10.2015
    EP | AR 50 | Sanctosaurus | Mana NB
    AD | AR 44 | rekt ya | Mana NB
    AD | AR 41 | Sanct Thunderstorm | Mana Sorc
    EP | AR 36 | S'na'ct | Mana NB {NA}
    AD | AR 29 | Captain Full Fist| Stam DK
    AD | AR 29 | Sanct The Dark Phoenix| Stam Sorc
    EP | AR 16 | Horny Sanct | Stam Warden
    EP | AR 16 | Sánct Bánáná Sláyér | Mana DK
    DC | AR 13 | ad worst faction eu | Stam Sorc
    DC | AR 13 | Lagendary Sanct | Mana NB

>320.000.000 AP
  • kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rzr0rsM.png
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Impulse is a very powerful AoE, so it should stay 6m imo

It's strong, but so are the other aoe's, how come they get to be 8m and impulse doesn't? I think I saw someone the other week run into a group and try and impulse them down like it was launch, needless to say it didn't work very well and I almost died laughing when I saw it. I know it is elemental damage with a nice dot / max health debuff on it, but running round with a destro staff you are giving up a 5 set piece and some spell power and a lot of resistances + mobility. I just don't see why it needs to still be 6m in the current meta.
    Sanct16 wrote: »

Roots are very strong in pvp though, I feel as though if talons would be increased to 8m, they would hands down be the best dps aoe available - better than all other aoe's listed above. I kinda think it'd be cool to see 8m talons but I was really shooting for making every skill equally desirable. It would be great if pvp was made up of people using different abilities against each other rather then just the same few.

You're gonna need to get a few more people on your 8m talons bandwagon in order to convince me otherwise haha. :p

• Sugaroverdose
    Sugaroverdose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why tallons should be at laughable 6m radius when sorc root is 16x6m?
    8m impulse was OP: first cast is actually damage+health reduction, for 30k target it's ~6k instant non-crit damage, too much to be 8m radius.
    UPD: pulsar, not impulse
    Edited by Sugaroverdose on December 26, 2016 1:34PM
  • Valencer
    Valencer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanct16 wrote: »

Roots are very strong in pvp though, I feel as though if talons would be increased to 8m, they would hands down be the best dps aoe available - better than all other aoe's listed above. I kinda think it'd be cool to see 8m talons but I was really shooting for making every skill equally desirable. It would be great if pvp was made up of people using different abilities against each other rather then just the same few.

You're gonna need to get a few more people on your 8m talons bandwagon in order to convince me otherwise haha. :p

Well, talons just isnt very good compared to other root options. Why would you bring a magicka DK to a fight when it's not very likely he can even catch many people in his talons? Just bring a mag sorc for encase spam (much easier to use) and that sorc can then also streak and negate.

DKs also just don't hit as hard as other specs. Theyre really not good at anything in particular in group play at the moment. Deep Breath is the one unique thing they bring to a fight but there's not enough interruptable abilities being used to make that worthwhile imo. On the mag sorc vs mag DK root issue, it's also interesting to note that negate > standard for heal counter purposes, but that's beyond the scope of this thread.
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah encase is really strong, I hate people who spam that. Shattering prison morph doesn't do that much damage though. Talons does a lot of damage as well as the root and can be used with dual wield or one hand and shield. People who run around with a destro staff are usually quite squishy.

You bring up good points though - just be a difference in opinion I guess.
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah you have a pretty good point. Maybe 7m talons? I havn't really thought about it much tbh, would wanna test that out first and talk to some people bombing on DK atm. Mainly was just thinking about the size of impulse. Also interested in what changes are coming in the balancing patch on PTS in a few wks, could change some things.
  • Sugaroverdose
    Sugaroverdose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah encase is really strong, I hate people who spam that. Shattering prison morph doesn't do that much damage though. Talons does a lot of damage as well as the root and can be used with dual wield or one hand and shield. People who run around with a destro staff are usually quite squishy.

You bring up good points though - just be a difference in opinion I guess.
    Wear HA and you'll not be squishy. To have 20k of shields sorc don't even need to hit 40k magicka so you get and resists and shields.

Burning tallons deals damage, yes, but a lot? Only in combination with 20% damage boost of standard of might which actually easiest avoidable ulti.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    8m impulse was OP: first cast is actually damage+health reduction, for 30k target it's ~6k instant non-crit damage, too much to be 8m radius.

Because talons covers an area of 113m² ingame whereas the sorc root covers only 96m² ingame.

Also the sorc root has no secondary effects like dmg reduction. The dmg morph deals no dmg when dodged out of. The whole spell is dodgeable by simply moving sideways because of the animation delay.
    <Noricum>

• Sugaroverdose
    Sugaroverdose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

Because talons covers an area of 113m² ingame whereas the sorc root covers only 96m² ingame.

Also the sorc root has no secondary effects like dmg reduction. The dmg morph deals no dmg when dodged out of. The whole spell is dodgeable by simply moving sideways because of the animation delay.
    Then impulse is also good since it also covers area of 113m², yup? It doesn't matter what area ability cover cause we're talking about PvP usability, but not about how much water can be placed in covered zone.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then impulse is also good since it also covers area of 113m², yup? It doesn't matter what area ability cover cause we're talking about PvP usability, but not about how much water can be placed in covered zone.

Impuls = talons?

I´d take talons over impuls any day of the week.

The sorc root is a tool almost exclusively used by larger groups - talons compared to that is a basic spell slotted by every magDK ever. There´s a reason for that.
    <Noricum>

• Sugaroverdose
    Sugaroverdose
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Impuls = talons?

I´d take talons over impuls any day of the week.

The sorc root is a tool almost exclusively used by larger groups - talons compared to that is a basic spell slotted by every magDK ever. There´s a reason for that.
    You're right it's bad comparison, lets compare it to deep breath, it also have 6m radius and hit only 6 targets in it(don't forget impulse debuff doesn't affected by AoE cap, so if you have ball group in it's area it will deal insane amount of non-direct damage)

Sorc root mostly used by people who spam it all day long, so what? Some people does use them as insanely powerful kiting tool, while tallons doesn't allow you to catch target which two step aside
    Edited by Sugaroverdose on December 26, 2016 1:35PM
  • Ghostbane
    Ghostbane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A buff to impulse isn't just the right way to go, the foundations of the destruction staff tree needs to be looked at in general, its other abilities and passives.

But that is what (supposedly) this next update is partially about. The balance between Stamina and Magicka.
    {★★★★★ · ★★★★★ · ★★ · ★★★★★}
    350m+ AP PC - EU
    AD :: Imported Waffles [37]EP :: Wee ee ee ee ee [16]DC :: Ghostbane's DK [16], Impending Loadscreen [12]PC - NA
    AD :: Ghostbane [50], yer ma [43], Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 2.0 [18], robotic baby legs [18]EP :: Wee Mad Arthur [50], avast ye buttcrackz [49], Sir Horace Foghorn [27], Brother Ballbag [24], Scatman John [16]DC :: W T B Waffles [36], Morale Boost [30], W T F Waffles [17], Ghostbanë [15]RIPAD :: Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 1.0 [20]
    Addons