Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Non-Standard Quests and Combat

tinythinker
tinythinker
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Standard video game combat is ubiquitous in shooters and RPGs. Players and devs are familiar with it, and that makes it easier to implement it and sell it, to innovate it and build on it. Being so deeply ingrained, it's hard to break out from that mold. In MMORPGs, breaking out of it usually involves gathering something and giving it to someone. Collect 5 gorps and give them to the NPC over there. So you walk up to a node for a gorp, interact with it, and repeat the process four more times before moving next to the NPC and interacting with it. Such fetch quests are everywhere.

Another common non-combat quest type is exploring a new area. Another involves mini-games such lockpicking (which can be actual lockpicking, or hacking an interface, or hacking an NPC via a dialogue game) or pickpocketing, which tend to be extra steps for fetch or combat quests rather than the primary objective. The game Beyond Good and Evil had such elements but used photography for collecting items for the main story's fetch and exploration quests.

When we look at it stripped down, these all share the same structure. Fetch quests and combat quests both involve going to an object (whether mobile or not), interacting with it (killing, wounding, healing, giving, taking, etc.), and returning to some other object. More complex quests simply add iterations to one of these steps. Simpler quests (like exploration) simplify the process.

As a fun experiment: can you think of something that either 1) breaks this mold or 2) uses that basic structure in a creative way that breaks out of the explore/fetch/combat mindset? What would it look like in ESO? Or at least puts a different twist on it?

To get you started, consider the requests for some kind of racing game or betting game. There are also some interesting tavern ideas that diverge a bit from what is common in ESO. What about illusion abilities such as fear, frenzy, charm, etc for combat situations? Or a basic flee mechanic that counts as "defeating" a mob?

That was just a warm-up for you to let your brilliance shine. What ideas do you have to share?
Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
(And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be honest, I've always had a soft spot for dialog quests. Not, "go someplace and collect a macguffin," or "collect 10 severed heads," but just you come into town and have the option to figure out what's going on by manipulating and persuading people.

I still love the original Fallout, where there were usually quest solutions that never involved pulling a gun on someone.

I understand why we don't get that in MMOs, but it does disappoint me.
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dislike those types of quests. If I wanted to do a foot race, I'd buy wii sports. If I wanted to do stealth, I'd throw in assassins creed. If I wanted to jump some platforms, I'd throw in Mario. You get the picture.

It doesn't help that they tend to be buggy and annoying in ESO. That fort virak quest or the into the woods cold harbor quest being good examples. All non standard quests should have a combat option in addition to the stealth/race/dialog option to complete.
    Edited by AverageJo3Gam3r on December 25, 2016 3:17AM
  • skiptomyluau
    skiptomyluau
    ✭✭✭
    I like the puzzle type. Unlabeled switches and hidden panels unlocking doors, exploration. Like when they have glyphs on the walls that relate to setting prisms or whatever. I'd like to see a quest like the board game mousetrap where you are setting traps to take out a monster of some kind. Maybe have it pursuing you and you need to escape by dropping cages, blowing up ceilings and whatnot.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be honest, I've always had a soft spot for dialog quests. Not, "go someplace and collect a macguffin," or "collect 10 severed heads," but just you come into town and have the option to figure out what's going on by manipulating and persuading people.

I still love the original Fallout, where there were usually quest solutions that never involved pulling a gun on someone.

We could get that as part of side quests or optional events. It's like the current New Life event. No one has to do it, but it is all non-combat. I am all for having diversity in game play for ESO, even for content I myself may not like or use it. It's good for those who get bored or burned out.
    I like the puzzle type. Unlabeled switches and hidden panels unlocking doors, exploration. Like when they have glyphs on the walls that relate to setting prisms or whatever. I'd like to see a quest like the board game mousetrap where you are setting traps to take out a monster of some kind. Maybe have it pursuing you and you need to escape by dropping cages, blowing up ceilings and whatnot.
    They do something a little like that with a certain werewolf fight in the DC storyline. No reason not to do it again/expand the concept.

Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I still remember my first time in Fallout 1... I talked the final boss into self-destruction. I wish modern games still had options like that.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester