The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[FPS] Issues With Very Powerful PC

• itz_Lobster
    itz_Lobster
    ✭✭
    Pibbles wrote: »
    Cyrediath wrote: »
    I noticed that my gpu utilization goes to 30 percent and sometimes below. Even with dsr enabled.

The problem is not gpu but cpu. And yea also my cpu gpu and ram doesnt go more than %50 yet still having fps issues...

yes, just saying that when it happens my gpu goes from 80 to 100% down to 30% or below, and that is odd.

It's not odd when you think about the way graphics are rendered, at an architectural level, (and likely a coder could explain in more detail):

1 - CPU computes geometric data that is required to be rendered
    2 - App puts the geometric data in the command buffer for the renderer
    3 - GPU retrieves the geometric data and renders it

As the DX11 renderer is single-threaded and ESO does not seem that well optimised but is still quite pretty with it, one CPU core becomes maxed out in these activities and limits the flow of geometry data to the GPU, therefore the GPU idles while it awaits more data.

When ESO came out I did a lot of detailed analysis with Perfmon and the application internally behaves as it ought, it's just that the overall flow of information has these constraints that cause these bottlenecks.

DX12 and Vulkan both have multithreaded renderers, so I'm sure you can immediately see the *potential* to resolve your issue as we can chuck more stuff at the GPU and therefore these idle times can be filled with glorious rendering activity. Well, the app needs to be aware it's sticking things in multiple command buffers for parallel execution, and sure, ZOS can code that, but then what if other pieces of the app architecture are not coded in a way that facilitates their parallel flow of info etc.?

I am not convinced we'll ever see ESO improved greatly in performance terms. Certainly ESO will move to DX12 at some point as ZOS need to remain vendor supported by Microsoft, but re-architecting the app for true multithreaded performance will be costly, risky and deliver benefit to mainly PvP players, who make up a very small part of the customer base and therefore are probably not that much of a priority for ZOS.

Just found it odd that it did it a seemingly random points. =)

• Neoakropolis
    Neoakropolis
    ✭✭✭
    No one at ZOS cares about the FPS issues in PVP. It's not a money maker.. They are more worried about housing and PVE content.
  • Cyrediath
    Cyrediath
    ✭✭✭
    No one at ZOS cares about the FPS issues in PVP. It's not a money maker.. They are more worried about housing and PVE content.

Im competitive pvp player and i stop playing eso for a year once because of bad fps and stuttering to play other mmorpgs for pvp... i know there are lots of players also quit becausr pvp is not satisfactionary or some people doesnt even start playing
  • Cyrediath
    Cyrediath
    ✭✭✭
    I just watched sypherpk yerterday and he had very smooth gameplay around 25 fps its smoother than my 55fps performance and my specs are better. I think we can make eso run smoother but how o.o
  • Dhukath
    Dhukath
    ✭✭✭
    Just a thought, you say you're rig runs win10, have you tried launching ESO in win8 / win7 compatibility mode and as both x64 & x86.
  • Cyrediath
    Cyrediath
    ✭✭✭
    Yes ive tried both versions and compatibility for win8 it doesnt help. When i go to wayrest or rawlkha my fos drops to 55 and screen gets stutter constantly like really small stutters but constant i feel like im playing with 10fps.
  • Cyrediath
    Cyrediath
    ✭✭✭
    Btw does someone read these or they just made this forum so people talk to each other? There are other fps topics too and im following all still no one replied officially.
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Btw does someone read these or they just made this forum so people talk to each other? There are other fps topics too and im following all still no one replied officially.

I do not believe anyone meaningful from ZOS reads the forums or, if they do, they will not act upon posts, IMO they simply use the forums as a way for us to vent amongst ourselves without venting *at* ZOS.

The performance in this game has never been great, but it took a further dive around the time of 1T, even dungeon running feels sloth-like now, and that used to be fine. But ZOS don't care, the game is B2P so they have our money anyway. Why would they expend development resource hunting for tricky performance bugs when they can deploy that same resource to make Crown Crates..
    Edited by raglau on January 16, 2017 7:30PM
  • Cyrediath
    Cyrediath
    ✭✭✭
    Also i didnt understand the difference between 64bit 32 bit my system is 64 and its better to use 64 also game is dx11 right now i guess but still using only 1 core all the time i am checking my cpu usage and its on %25 (4real cores - 4 for hyperthreading).

I ask people while sieging castles and they have exactly same fps with me, with their potato pc. i wish eso would use atleast 2 cores instead of maxing one but even so 4.4ghz should be enough for eso.

I mean WHO play eso smoothly? 5.5ghz liquid nitrogen setups?
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also i didnt understand the difference between 64bit 32 bit my system is 64 and its better to use 64 also game is dx11 right now i guess but still using only 1 core all the time i am checking my cpu usage and its on %25 (4real cores - 4 for hyperthreading).

I ask people while sieging castles and they have exactly same fps with me, with their potato pc. i wish eso would use atleast 2 cores instead of maxing one but even so 4.4ghz should be enough for eso.

I mean WHO play eso smoothly? 5.5ghz liquid nitrogen setups?

64 bit client will be a better bet on a 64 bit system with more than 4GB RAM.

Nothing can be done about the single-thread issue until DX12 support at least. But yes, it makes even the best PC run like a dog. I have 12 cores and can happily render a 2 hour video on 10 cores, leaving 1 for ESO and 1 for various OS tasks!
  • Tapio75
    Tapio75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have similar AMD based system as OP has and basically done everything including unparking cores to gfet macx performance.

This game is ONLY game that has this serious issues and i dont remember that well when it started to decline, but the first year after launch, i could always play with 90+fps, after that, various patches have gradually made situation worse.

Today, its as bad as it can be as in distant areas, ultra high settings still get over 80 fps but when ever a somewhat populated area is nearby, the FPS drops as i get closer to that populated area. Even if i drop settings to lowest possible, the fps still hangs around 20-30.

Maybe they should think how tyhe client handles other players and change something. Also from various players reporting this, rthey should be able to track the patches that had make this thing worse.

I was actually thinking of upgrading my hardware to even better but readin this, i dount it would help and would be waste of money as ESO is really only game having ANY problems.
    >>PC-EU Mostly PVE. Played since BETA<<
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tapio75 wrote: »
    I have similar AMD based system as OP has and basically done everything including unparking cores to gfet macx performance.

This game is ONLY game that has this serious issues and i dont remember that well when it started to decline, but the first year after launch, i could always play with 90+fps, after that, various patches have gradually made situation worse.

Today, its as bad as it can be as in distant areas, ultra high settings still get over 80 fps but when ever a somewhat populated area is nearby, the FPS drops as i get closer to that populated area. Even if i drop settings to lowest possible, the fps still hangs around 20-30.

Maybe they should think how tyhe client handles other players and change something. Also from various players reporting this, rthey should be able to track the patches that had make this thing worse.

I was actually thinking of upgrading my hardware to even better but readin this, i dount it would help and would be waste of money as ESO is really only game having ANY problems.

Yes, there's very little you can do. AMD will suffer slightly more than Intel in this game simply due to CPU architecture; AMD 'cores' are not true cores in the way Intel are, they still share a lot of stuff such as FSB, cache, FPU, but it's not enough to warrant an upgrade. The issue sits well and truly with ZOS on this one, as you note in your post, and they are also somewhat beholden to the constraints of the DX11 API.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People complain about 50fps in populated areas and here I would be happy to reach 30 in non-populated areas....
  • Gre3d69
    Gre3d69
    Soul Shriven
    raglau wrote: »
    Tapio75 wrote: »

Yes, there's very little you can do. AMD will suffer slightly more than Intel in this game simply due to CPU architecture; AMD 'cores' are not true cores in the way Intel are, they still share a lot of stuff such as FSB, cache, FPU, but it's not enough to warrant an upgrade. The issue sits well and truly with ZOS on this one, as you note in your post, and they are also somewhat beholden to the constraints of the DX11 API.

Here it is almost a year later from what you had said. Now Morrowwind is out for the game and it still uses DX11 and my setup is fairly beastly. (Intel i7 6700k OC to 4.8Ghz, 32GBs @ 3600Mhz, and 2 GTX 1080's in SLI with a high bandwidth SLI bridge.) I also get FPS drops in cities. I go from 100 FPS locked at 1440p, everything maxed except for the "Shadow Detail" setting which I have set to "Medium" for performance, to around 40-50 FPS in cities.
    For anyone in this thread that is blaming this on the fact that the game uses DX11 still, are idiots. Will DX12 help this game in particular? Yeah maybe, anything done will probably be better than what it is currently. The thing about DX11 though isn't the problem. I play Final Fantasy 14 on my rig and they use DX11 as well. Hell they had to upgrade their game engine for the Heavensward expansion from DX9 to DX11 and their MMO runs better than this game. My GTX 1080's in SLI run at 30-40% usage in all scenarios in ESO. Where as in Final Fantasy 14 which is also using DX11, my GPUs run at 75-98% (mostly between 80%-98%) usage at all times.

So no, the fact that ESO uses DX11 and not 12 isn't the problem. It's the poorly optimized coding for PC hardware that is at fault here, period. If Final Fantasy 14 can use DX11 and run more smoothly and at higher FPS, then so could ESO. The Devs would need to sink a *** ton of time and money into doing so to do it correctly. I don't think they will probably ever truly do it right though in my opinion.
    Edited by Gre3d69 on January 1, 2018 4:24AM
  • pkuronen
    pkuronen
    ✭✭✭
    I had the same problem but I seems to have vanished when I switched from windowed to fullscreen mode.

Looks like the good old Windows problem where the extra layer of OS messes things up and giving GPU exclusive access to screen speeds things up.