The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Use the PTS, ZOS!

Browiseth
Browiseth
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
So, let's not beat around the bush, this game is broken. Like, seriously broken. Like, more broken than Oblivion and Morrowind combined broken. That's pretty broken.

ok it's not that bad, but we really can't balance the game with a handful of heavy-handed changes every four months that just break it in new ways for the next four months. So, why not use the PTS more often? Just throw changes on there whenever you guys want! Just throw 'em in there in the space between major updates, could be something crazy like...Sorc pets have infinite health and can't die. Or DK dragon blood as a 100% heal, or all players health values are halved, or all players' regen values are halved, or...

You get the idea. Crazy changes. Stuff you wouldn't dream of putting on live. And then we test them. Find out what works, find out what could be tweaked to work, then come the next major update, you've got way more information on deciding which balance changes should be pushed.

Because we really can't balance the game like this, guys. We can't just suddenly have OP proc sets out of nowhere and have to deal with it for a quarter of a year, to be followed up with whatever the next FOTM is due to such a drastically changed meta. This is a formula Blizzard has been using with Overwatch; they completely overbuffed a character on its PTS at one point in that game, and just worked from there to make a more reasonable change.

lol did you just compare an FPS MOBA to ESO you're doing it wrong

thank you for your input

edited for more clarity and passive aggressive sarcasm
Edited by Browiseth on December 21, 2016 7:35PM
skingrad when zoscharacters:
  • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
  • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
  • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
  • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
  • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
  • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
  • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
  • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
  • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
  • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe
  • Riga_Mortis
    Riga_Mortis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trouble is zeni put content on the PTS, and then ignore most of the feedback, eventually releasing buggy/broken content to the live server anyway.
    XBOX 1X
    GT - TAGNUTZ
  • xRIVALENx
    xRIVALENx
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent idea! ZOS also needs to listen to the advice and recommendations given by the PTS community and not just completely ignore it like they do currently.
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Players would actually have to use the PTS too.

The amount of players who use PTS compared to those on live is a very big difference. The data will never fully correlate with what will and could happen by population alone, let alone many other variables.
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JD2013 wrote: »
    Players would actually have to use the PTS too.

The amount of players who use PTS compared to those on live is a very big difference. The data will never fully correlate with what will and could happen by population alone, let alone many other variables.

Moreover, all the players on the PTS would have to play objectively in order to report imbalances and broken features, rather than in order to spot the imbalances and broken features early so they can profit from them when they go live :wink: !

The other problem is that so many of the problems being talked about are really only of consequence to the hardcore and competitive players in both PvP and PvE and don't impact on most of the players. Most PvEers aren't bothered whether one class is unbalanced in relation to another, and I'm willing to bet that most PvPers are more concerned with the performance in Cyrodiil than they are with class balancing. While I can understand the frustration of the strongly vocal minority at the delays in fixing those issues, I can also understand the lack of priority on the part of ZOS in addressing them when there are more pressing matters that affect the more silent majority.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Browiseth wrote: »
    So, let's not beat around the bush, this game is broken. Like, seriously broken. Like, more broken than Oblivion and Morrowind combined broken. That's pretty broken.

ok it's not that bad, but we really can't balance the game with a handful of heavy-handed changes every four months that just break it in new ways for the next four months. So, why not use the PTS more often? Just throw changes on there whenever you guys want! Just throw 'em in there, could be something crazy like...Sorc pets have infinite health and can't die. Or DK dragon blood as a 100% heal, or all players health values are halved, or all players' regen values are halved, or...

You get the idea. Crazy changes. Stuff you wouldn't dream of putting on live. And then we test them. Find out what works, find out what could be tweaked to work, then come the next major update, you've got way more information on deciding which balance changes should be pushed.

Because we really can't balance the game like this, guys. We can't just suddenly have OP proc sets out of nowhere and have to deal with it for a quarter of a year, to be followed up with whatever the next FOTM is due to such a drastically changed meta

Stopped reading as soon as you compared this to Single Player game that aren't ever changing with new huge patches and events on a quarterly basis.
  • Vorcil
    Vorcil
    ✭✭✭✭
    What about with thieves guild, the PTS version of the game was okay, there were lots of major bugs found, they were acknowledged, then ZOS decided to release a completely different version that was completely untested.

lol..
  • Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

ok it's not that bad, but we really can't balance the game with a handful of heavy-handed changes every four months that just break it in new ways for the next four months. So, why not use the PTS more often? Just throw changes on there whenever you guys want! Just throw 'em in there, could be something crazy like...Sorc pets have infinite health and can't die. Or DK dragon blood as a 100% heal, or all players health values are halved, or all players' regen values are halved, or...

Because we really can't balance the game like this, guys. We can't just suddenly have OP proc sets out of nowhere and have to deal with it for a quarter of a year, to be followed up with whatever the next FOTM is due to such a drastically changed meta

Stopped reading as soon as you compared this to Single Player game that aren't ever changing with new huge patches and events on a quarterly basis.

That was me trying to be funny with an over exaggeration

I sincerely hope light-heartedness isn't a reason to disregard someone's integrity in your eyes
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minus the crazy changes, this is largely what ZOS does with PTS. Rather than being radical about things, they release what they think they want to do and tweak from there. PTS is not for bug fixing, it is about tuning theIr vision.

Yes, they should use PTS to help decide on the scope of the vision, which is the real change suggested in the OP.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Minus the crazy changes, this is largely what ZOS does with PTS. Rather than being radical about things, they release what they think they want to do and tweak from there. PTS is not for bug fixing, it is about tuning theIr vision.

Yes, they should use PTS to help decide on the scope of the vision, which is the real change suggested in the OP.

The point I wanted to make really was that they don't do it enough. We get one month to try out some changes that weren't communicated beforehand, when what I'm suggesting is that we get changes pushed onto PTS all the time. They don't even need to be changes with the intention of being put on live in the first place; it could easily be just for the sake of information gathering, so ZOS can feel for what the community thinks works in this game.

We can't deny that there's a certain disconnect between ZOS, the game and the players, and I think this change in managing the game could help alleviate that.

Would it take more work? Yes, but as I say, we just can't go on with radical changes every four months and have to deal with it until the next set of radical changes
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    LOL I'm pretty damn sure they have their own test server.

"Broken" and "unbalanced" are two very different things lol. Before telling ZOS what to do, it would be cool to have an understanding of what you're even saying first.

Edited by mb10 on December 21, 2016 8:46PM
  • Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mb10 wrote: »
    LOL I'm pretty damn sure they have their own test server.

And I must be playing a completely different game to most people here because I genuinely have a smooth experience every single time I play.

Have you never stopped to think that its your PC and your internet connection thats the problem?

Im personally on console, PS4 and can confidently tell you that any major problem you have atm gameplay wise is your connection. Its not broken at all and the game is actually very smooth.

@mb10

Where in my OP did I mention anything about internet connections or performance issues?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Browiseth

How much time have you spent with the last 2 PTS offerings before they went live? How much if the new content and major changes have you tested?

That's the question one needs to ask before telling Zos they need to use the PTS.

Additionally, a great many that follow the PTS and feedback from the PTS know changes are made based on sound and logical feedback provided.

Furthermore, some are more sensative to issues in a game than others (sans PvP which has never been right). No one should expect every bug to be fixed. Every MMO has bugs that have existed from launch.

Zos has come a long way and while some complain about maintenance times, Zos has been doing decent work and correctly my serious issues overall.
  • Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Browiseth

How much time have you spent with the last 2 PTS offerings before they went live? How much if the new content and major changes have you tested?

That's the question one needs to ask before telling Zos they need to use the PTS.

Additionally, a great many that follow the PTS and feedback from the PTS know changes are made based on sound and logical feedback provided.

Furthermore, some are more sensative to issues in a game than others (sans PvP which has never been right). No one should expect every bug to be fixed. Every MMO has bugs that have existed from launch.

Zos has come a long way and while some complain about maintenance times, Zos has been doing decent work and correctly my serious issues overall.

I played around for a while with the Wrothgar and Dark Brotherhood PTS's, mostly trying out ability changes and such

I completely agree that this game has come a long way, and ZOS does good work. But they can potentially do more with the PTS, rather than it being reserved to exist for just one month every quarter of a year.
    Edited by Browiseth on December 21, 2016 8:57PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can't deny that there's a certain disconnect between ZOS, the game and the players, and I think this change in managing the game could help alleviate that.

Well, there is no doubt that there is a disconnect.

Your idea would allow them to see where they need to re-think their designs before they get to the point where all they can do is tweak them. As it is now, they are doing a lot of this in an Ivory Tower.

Before that happens, though, they need to rethink the whole customer-studio relationship thing. They would have to drop the wall they built, and I don't see that happening. Ever. It is not easy, and it takes time. What is more, it might cost more to do it than they can recover.

• Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No one should expect every bug to be fixed.

With that line of thinking, why even have a forum to discuss and bring attention to these bugs if we can't even expect it to be taken to heart?
    Edited by Browiseth on December 21, 2016 9:06PM
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pts has little impact on the end product they work months on these things and they are not going to admit they messed up. I.e. 6 second shields, aoe caps, green dragon blood. But most of the time I am glad they don't listen to players. Players only want what they want, not what is good for the game.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Browiseth

I played around for a while with the Wrothgar and Dark Brotherhood PTS's, mostly trying out ability changes and such

I completely agree that this game has come a long way, and ZOS does good work. But they can potentially do more with the PTS, rather than it being reserved to exist for just one month every quarter of a year.

Playing around with a couple updates is light duty. What Zos is able to do with the PTS rests mostly in our hands since they need both our feedback as well
    Asnour actions for sever metric to help.

Get a group of your guildies and do new dungeons or quests. Even with a trial
    Most guilds can complete normal mode. It takes effort to do actual testing.

And BTW, Zos also has private test servers they use but it doesn't provide enough data points nor enough hours of actual experience that we can provide on the PTS. Load is also something that cannot be tested even on the PTS.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one should expect every bug to be fixed.

With that line of thinking, why even have a forum to discuss and bring attention to these bugs if we can't even expect it to be taken to heart?

There is a difference between "taken to heart" and "expect every bug to be fixed".

I certainly don't expect every bug to be fixed. It will never happen, no matter how many hearts are taken.