The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Battlegrounds! When and how? VIDEO FROM 2014

Lifecode666
Lifecode666
✭✭✭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMzrkRluWbU&t=357s

When do you guys and girls think we will see this on PTS? 3rd quarter maybe 2017?

4vs4?
10vs10?

Premade & random sign up?

Only crafted armor and wepons?

No champ points?

No ults?

Tokens for pvp armor?

Main reason for holding this content back must be balance.. I can't see any other reasons.....
Up the hornz
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    yes please, when will we get the XvX battlegrounds??

@ZOS_BrianWheeler @ZOS_MattFiror @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_KaiSchober
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMzrkRluWbU&t=357s

When do you guys and girls think we will see this on PTS? 3rd quarter maybe 2017?

4vs4?
    10vs10?

Premade & random sign up?

Only crafted armor and wepons?

No champ points?

No ults?

Tokens for pvp armor?

Main reason for holding this content back must be balance.. I can't see any other reasons.....

Xv10 XvX
    XvMonster(s)....

10v10 etc...
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Would this mean dueling would be out of pve areas and confined to the battlegrounds?
  • Paraflex
    Paraflex
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's been talked about but who knows when it will even happen
    Hollykills CP 630 Templar Healer - Ad PS4 Warlord Rank

Max Stam/Mag Dk
    Max Stam Sorc
    Max Stam/Mag NB

Don't care to dps much so I heal.

•  Panda_iMunch
    Panda_iMunch
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think they would want to make those anytime soon. Can you imagine the nightmare it would be to balance? It takes them months to lower the damage of proc sets!
    Yeetus that fetus

Youtube: Pandalius (Panda)
    Twitch: Pandalius
    Beam: Pandalius
    Twitter: Pandalius
  • Paulington
    Paulington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I recall an interview with Rich Lambert saying that those battlegrounds were held together with "duct tape and sticky glue" or something along those lines. Players had to be manually teleported in, rounds reset manually, et cetera so they were nowhere even close to an actual battleground "product".

I would love XvX battlegrounds as much as the next guy, but only when they are done right.
  • Fetaro
    Fetaro
    ✭✭✭
    It was very rough/unstable. Merely a working prototype. But they said they are working/will work on it soon. They want to implement it, we just don't have any ETA. Maybe it will come in u13 !
    Edited by Fetaro on January 1, 2017 1:36PM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't see anything like this coming prior to Fall of 2017.....but whenever they release the 2017 year ahead article, we will see what their plans are.

-PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As I recall, the map here was hacked together for the convention and was pretty much held together through duct tape and sheer force of will. It was made for tradeshows, not for actual in-game usage. The only way to get to it was to have ZOS port you to the location.
  • SirCritical
    SirCritical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give. Us. Now :)
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Preyfar wrote: »
    As I recall, the map here was hacked together for the convention and was pretty much held together through duct tape and sheer force of will. It was made for tradeshows, not for actual in-game usage. The only way to get to it was to have ZOS port you to the location.

So they were using the same group finder they were using for the normal dungeons then?

I kid, i kid... sort of...
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So yet again, ZOS was false advertising to get people excited, but when you peel back the onion it's held together by duct tape and won't be implemented for years to come if ever. Hmmm reminds me of cyrodil performance and the so hyped mega server technology, that is a total flop. I love how these gaming companies get people hyped at conventions and then it doesn't work or is never implemented. What's the point of even going to a convention if what they advertise is not actual gameplay?
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure those battlegrounds will be a) part of the (potentially) upcoming first expansion of ESO OR b) as a sole PvP DLC.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rich or Brian has said they are working on battlegrounds but its low priority and woild be over a year out. As a long standing supporter of battle grounds I can tell you there are 2 major obstacles

Balance

The game is currently balanced for open world PVP but for controlled groups it can be rather overpowered with one group mske up verses another. A specific set of battle spirit rules would have to be made, but even then a lot of folks more interested in winning than sportsmanship would probably find ways to won via broken mechanics that aren't listed in any wiki.

Player Interest

This is the major one, one that I fought though numerous posts. There is a group interested in battlegrounds and arenas, but no one wants to post up suggestions or give replies to it, evem on reddit. Housing gets a posting and suddenly there are thousands of views, votes, and hundreds of replies. I've heard streamers like @Sypher @FENGRUSH and others say it would be a good idea, even going as far as requesting a raid on ESO live asking for them, but nothing forum side. If they can't hype their viewers to vote/reply/post about it, I don't know how many really do want it.

So at the end of the day, if there isn't a HUGE demand for it and it requires a lot of balancing work, I can't see ZOS putting it as a top priority anytime soon.
    Herfi Driderkitty of the Aldmeri Dominion
    Find me on : Twitch | Youtube | Twitter | Reddit
  • Serjustin19
    Serjustin19
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »
    Would this mean dueling would be out of pve areas and confined to the battlegrounds?

To be honest. I believe. At least I think. Unsure. But

A. To try and get more PvEr's to taste each other by attacking, test each other builds and at same time. Secretly at times. To try to get recruits who are interested in PvP more. After dueling. To try and fill out PvP campaigns. Hopefully empty campaigns.

Or.

B. By dueling in PvE areas and by me trying to duel my alliance on same side in Cyrodiil. Duel is light up in Cyrodiil. But says you are not allowed to duel on same side.

So methinks. Both unable to duel in Cyrodiil and forced to duel in PvE areas. Methinks we are very close to Cyrodiil battle arena's honestly I could be wrong. But put two and two together. They are both a test. Therefore I can make a safe guess. We will be getting Cyrodiil battle arena soon. From 6 month or 9 months. Who knows. But I truly believe ZOS is testing by using us. In good way.
    Edited by Serjustin19 on January 3, 2017 5:55PM
    Formerly Serjustin19, Save for Forum Of Course.... Fiery_Darkness (PC NA) currently.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest, Cyrodiil has still some major flaws and stops me from doing PvP. But I would love to do PvP but in a smaller, more controlled way like in Arenas or Battlegrounds. I always prefer those 10-30min "Mini PvP battles" because I can participate there from the beginning until the end (something that's nearly impossible in Cyrodiil).

I mean, most battles in Cyrodiil are "battlegrounds" or "arenas" just in the huge open world zone. Most PvP fights are rather skirmishing around than conquering a castle.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LegacyDM wrote: »

So yet again, ZOS was false advertising to get people excited, but when you peel back the onion it's held together by duct tape and won't be implemented for years to come if ever. Hmmm reminds me of cyrodil performance and the so hyped mega server technology, that is a total flop. I love how these gaming companies get people hyped at conventions and then it doesn't work or is never implemented. What's the point of even going to a convention if what they advertise is not actual gameplay?

@LegacyDM
    I think you are lacking the context of it all

This was just a booth at a video game event....nothing more until a later comment from one of the devs said it was something they'd like to do.

People actually did play this tho at the event so nothing was false about it at all
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@LegacyDM

This was just a booth at a video game event....nothing more until a later comment from one of the devs said it was something they'd like to do.

People actually did play this tho at the event so nothing was false about it at all

Isn't the purpose of eso attending an event like that is to advertise and showcase their wares? What's the point of showcasing something that will never be in game? Lol. If I played that baypttlehround I would buy eso under the premise that it is coming soon. They are there to advertise their game and entice new customers not let people play stitched together crap for the hell of it.
    Edited by LegacyDM on January 3, 2017 6:43PM
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@LegacyDM

Isn't the purpose of eso attending an event like that is to advertise and showcase their wares? What's the point of showcasing something that will never be in game? Lol. They are there to advertise their game and entice new customers not let people play stitched together crap for the hell of it.

@LegacyDM

Well the point was to showcase the game, and that is what they were doing here. This was years back, console wasn't even released at the time.

Also, there was no way to showcase Cyrodil at an event and you definitely couldn't showcase starting a new character so they offer a pre-set situation for ppl to experience the game. Its was only around 600k ppl total playing back then
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

So yet again, ZOS was false advertising to get people excited, but when you peel back the onion it's held together by duct tape and won't be implemented for years to come...
    No, because the "battleground" in the video you're describing is NOT a battleground but a small PVP arena that was custom-build. It's not a battleground, just a tiny arena. Battlegrounds are different.

• Ghost-Shot
    Ghost-Shot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

So yet again, ZOS was false advertising to get people excited, but when you peel back the onion it's held together by duct tape and won't be implemented for years to come...
    No, because the "battleground" in the video you're describing is NOT a battleground but a small PVP arena that was custom-build. It's not a battleground, just a tiny arena. Battlegrounds are different.

I think a vast majority of the people on these forums don't actually know what battlegrounds or arenas are, many think arena means 1v1 and battle ground means small scale lol.
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember when imperial city was data mined and folks saw "imperial arena" and started thinking it was going to be a battlegrounds fight? Kept shaking my head at those assumptions and the heartbreak everyone had when it was released.
    Herfi Driderkitty of the Aldmeri Dominion
    Find me on : Twitch | Youtube | Twitter | Reddit
  • Ghost-Shot
    Ghost-Shot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    HeroOfNone wrote: »
    Remember when imperial city was data mined and folks saw "imperial arena" and started thinking it was going to be a battlegrounds fight? Kept shaking my head at those assumptions and the heartbreak everyone had when it was released.

That was such a huge missed opportunity, same with the Kvatch arena. Those two would have made for fantastic pvp arenas.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

This. The area in the video was normal ESO PvP, just condensed to small size. Imagine being transported to the Alessia bridge in Cyrodiil but not being able to leave that area. It would give you a good idea of how PvP combat in ESO works, without people having to ride a horse from their faction gates, getting ganked along the way, having to siege and capture multiple keeps to open up the transit system, etc. That is way too involved and time consuming for a convention demo. Those things were "battlegrounds" in the same way that fighting at bridges or mile gates or in an IC district is a "battleground".
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ghost-Shot wrote: »

I think a vast majority of the people on these forums don't actually know what battlegrounds or arenas are, many think arena means 1v1 and battle ground means small scale lol.
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »

This. The area in the video was normal ESO PvP, just condensed to small size. Imagine being transported to the Alessia bridge in Cyrodiil but not being able to leave that area. It would give you a good idea of how PvP combat in ESO works, without people having to ride a horse from their faction gates, getting ganked along the way, having to siege and capture multiple keeps to open up the transit system, etc. That is way too involved and time consuming for a convention demo. Those things were "battlegrounds" in the same way that fighting at bridges or mile gates or in an IC district is a "battleground".

What is a battleground if it's not 3v3 or up to 24v24 team play on an instance mini map or random map game with objectives? (E.g., capture the flag, king of the hill, etc.) where there is a clear winner with rewards and ranking. in mmorpgs you have open world pvp, rvr, and instance minimap battleground scenarios based on team vs team. The op video looks like the latter. A map for team vs team play.

Sorry but ic is not battlegrounds. It's not instance its a mix of open world pvp with pve objectives and rvr with a couple of contesting flags with no clear winner or objective.

I disagree in 2014 the game was complete. Cyrodil would have been easily accessible for everyone to log in and play. There were already numerous beta tests, videos, and showcases of cyrodil for people to play in. Your telling me that when this video was made a 150mill game couldn't showcase cyrodil at quake on and instead had to duct tape a mini map together? Lol. No. The purpose of this video was clearly to showcase pvp in a battleground/arena type scenario. Which may or may not ever come. Just another example of Zos advertising something that probably won't make it into game. Here's a sample off the top of my head:

Justice system
    Spell crafting
    Battlegrounds?
    Edited by LegacyDM on January 3, 2017 8:38PM
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
  • Ghost-Shot
    Ghost-Shot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

What is a battleground if it's not 3v3 or up to 24v24 team play on a mini map or random map game with objectives? (E.g., capture the flag, king of the hill, etc.) in mmorpgs you have open world pvp, rvr, and instance minimap battleground scenarios based on team vs team. The op video looks like the latter. A map for team vs team play.

Sorry but ic is not battlegrounds. It's not instance its a mix of open world pvp and rvr with a couple of contesting flags with no clear winner or objective.

I disagree in 2014 the game was complete. Cyrodil would have been easily accessible for everyone to log in and play. There were already numerous beta tests, videos, and showcases of cyrodil for people to play in. Your telling me that when this video was made a 150mill game couldn't showcase cyrodil at quake on and instead had to duct tape a mini map together? Lol. No. The purpose of this video was clearly to showcase pvp in a battleground/arena type scenario. Which may or may not ever come. Just another example of Zos advertising something that probably won't make it into game. Here's a sample off the top of my head:

Justice system
    Spell crafting
    Battlegrounds?

My experience is mostly WoW with a bit of SWTOR and Rift but in WoW, bg's are 8v8 to 40v40 objective oriented pvp with a set time or score limit depending on which bg it is and arena's are 2v2 and 3v3 with no objectives other than killing the opposing team. SWTOR's war zones are 8v8. People on these forums keep seeming to think that the addition of battle grounds means they will have 3v3 type play like we saw at quakecon 2014 but that just isn't what a battle ground is.
  • Mitoice
    Mitoice
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    anything new for pvp??? hahaha ETA 2125
    PVP hasnt seen any significant changes since Imperial City a lot of time ago... i dont see any new changes to pvp besides siege weapons changes.. a new house here and there....nut new maps?? new gamestyles... i highly doubt it... its more probable that ZOS will be stuck with class balance changes for years to come... this is like the 4th class balance dlc coming out
  • Mitoice
    Mitoice
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People... when battlegrounds, spellcrafting and justice system were published it was under a different administration.. aka Paul sage... all of those plan have been scrapped and confirmed by the new ZOS administration with the exception of spellcrafting which was pushed waaayyyy back to a wish list, also remember the guy designing spellcrafting left the game a while back.
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What is a battleground if it's not 3v3 or up to 24v24 team play on a mini map or random map game with objectives? (E.g., capture the flag, king of the hill, etc.) in mmorpgs you have open world pvp, rvr, and instance minimap battleground scenarios based on team vs team. The op video looks like the latter. A map for team vs team play.

Sorry but ic is not battlegrounds. It's not instance its a mix of open world pvp and rvr with a couple of contesting flags with no clear winner or objective.

Justice system
    Spell crafting
    Battlegrounds?

My experience is mostly WoW with a bit of SWTOR and Rift but in WoW, bg's are 8v8 to 40v40 objective oriented pvp with a set time or score limit depending on which bg it is and arena's are 2v2 and 3v3 with no objectives other than killing the opposing team. SWTOR's war zones are 8v8. People on these forums keep seeming to think that the addition of battle grounds means they will have 3v3 type play like we saw at quakecon 2014 but that just isn't what a battle ground is.

I agree with this but it's a mini map, with 3v3 play. It's the prototype/start of a battleground which got people excited. Zos could easily expand on this and add objectives and increase players and voila you have a battleground. Zos purposely showcased this at quakecon when the could have easily showcased cyrodil. I'm not buying the it's too hard to do at a convention excuse. In fact, they know the general pop wants battlegrounds. Battlegrounds has been around since 2005. Marketing would dictate they wanted to advertise it to excite the player base.
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitoice wrote: »
    People... when battlegrounds, spellcrafting and justice system were published it was under a different administration.. aka Paul sage... all of those plan have been scrapped and confirmed by the new ZOS administration with the exception of spellcrafting which was pushed waaayyyy back to a wish list, also remember the guy designing spellcrafting left the game a while back.

Hence my claim of false advertisement. Just because people leave a company doesn't mean you still can't carry out a vision. FYI Matt firor was always in charge. He never left. Look, I'm forgiving, I get that plans and visions change. Yet to go as far as advertise these projects snd even showcase one is just manipulative. People buy these games on certain premises. When you don't deliver, people lose confidence in your brand and you lose money. Not to mention, they are cutting things people want. If they cut battlegrounds, that is standard in mmorpgs since 2005. Won't be a good sign.
    Edited by LegacyDM on January 3, 2017 9:25PM
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage