Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Were do you find nirnhoned trait material?

Brokensocket
Brokensocket
✭✭✭
I only have 3, noticed people are making gold by crafting armor and selling it on traders with the trait but selling for 10k each, when i look for mat its 10k to 14k, so no profit at all.
I want loads to share the traits man
PSN: Spaztik_89

Best Answer

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Specifically, in Crafting Nodes that drop Cloth, Metal, Wood or Hides. The last are of course animals like Wewlas and Imps and Jackals or whatever canine critter they have up there.

It does not drop from Enchanting, Provisioning or Alchemy Nodes.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Answer ✓
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craglorn. Used to be Upper but now its all over
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In my craft bag.

If that doesn't help, they are also in crafting nodes in Craglorn - as others have mentioned.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Specifically, in Crafting Nodes that drop Cloth, Metal, Wood or Hides. The last are of course animals like Wewlas and Imps and Jackals or whatever canine critter they have up there.

It does not drop from Enchanting, Provisioning or Alchemy Nodes.

I dont think welvas (or any other animals) drop nirncrux. Other than that, what he said.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sinolai wrote: »

I dont think welvas (or any other animals) drop nirncrux. Other than that, what he said.

@Sinolai

They do, its rare, but it has happened to me. Once.

Actually, it might not be any different of a drop rate with fixed nodes, but there really are not all that many animals in Craglorn to farm and it is far easier to farm other nodes.

• poochie
    poochie
    ✭✭✭
    What other nodes? From what I seem to get ya'll saying it like it was from farming material nodes. Animals are "nodes"?
  • Jciampi
    Jciampi
    ✭✭✭
    Craft items drop nirn. Like ore, wood, and cloth nodes (ancestor silk or animals that drop leather like welwas). alchemy and food and enchant nodes will never drop nirn
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Craglorn? I got mine there
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I got one from a welwa, once.

Any others I got were from wood/ore/fiber nodes. A very few times I really lucked out and got more than one.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sinolai wrote: »

@Sinolai

They do, its rare, but it has happened to me. Once.

Actually, it might not be any different of a drop rate with fixed nodes, but there really are not all that many animals in Craglorn to farm and it is far easier to farm other nodes.

I can confirm this. I was actually grouped with Nestor and I think he got the nirn from a Harpy in one of the delves while we we doing the Craglorn quests. I was actually quite skeptical about reports of nirn from animals, but seeing is believing. There is a chance for nirn drop from anything that provides raw materials for equipment crafts.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Scarlett_Princess
    Scarlett_Princess
    ✭✭✭
    So I just want to clarify, nirnhoned trait items can only be crafted, not looted or given as a quest reward? I am just starting to do all my crafting research and have noticed that I have never had an item I can research that had the nirnhoned trait.
    FACT: Haters don't really hate you. In fact, they hate themselves, because you're a reflection of what they wish to be.

~ Scarlett Princess | Aldmeri Dominion | Orc | Stamina Sorcerer ~

Aussie Player | PC | NA Server
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I just want to clarify, nirnhoned trait items can only be crafted, not looted or given as a quest reward? I am just starting to do all my crafting research and have noticed that I have never had an item I can research that had the nirnhoned trait.

You will get 1 and only 1 random item after completing Craglorn story. You can research that, the rest you have to buy from other players for research.
    Edited by Sinolai on December 14, 2016 5:47AM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Miss_Tiffany

Yes, as above, you get one item for finishing the Craglorn Main Quest (which can be solo'd now). What is weird about this item, is you can sell it, or research it, but you can't decon it.

• Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've also gotten nirnhoned items from pvp campaign rewards, and I think you can get nirnhoned from vMA and maybe other dungeons.

The most reliable way I've found is to farm the raw nirn and then provide the mats for nice guildies to craft the research pieces for me.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ilsabet wrote: »
    I've also gotten nirnhoned items from pvp campaign rewards, and I think you can get nirnhoned from vMA and maybe other dungeons.

The most reliable way I've found is to farm the raw nirn and then provide the mats for nice guildies to craft the research pieces for me.

Having guildies craft a research item with your mats is a good strategy. But be nice, and give your crafter a nice tip. We had to spend a lot of gold to learn all those nirn traits :) .
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Scarlett_Princess
    Scarlett_Princess
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated! I am somewhat of a completionist, so professions, lorebooks and skyshards are my addiction atm! At least until I discover new things in ESO as I level/progress, of which I am sure I will also become addicted to! :p
    FACT: Haters don't really hate you. In fact, they hate themselves, because you're a reflection of what they wish to be.

~ Scarlett Princess | Aldmeri Dominion | Orc | Stamina Sorcerer ~

Aussie Player | PC | NA Server
  • Thrasher91604
    Thrasher91604
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You also can get nirnhone traited items in end of campaign rewards if you rank high enough.
    Edited by Thrasher91604 on December 16, 2016 9:46AM
  • Shroom
    Shroom
    ✭✭
    Ilsabet wrote: »

So I currently have 3 nirnhoned, 2 weapon trait and one armor, what kind of weapons/armor should i craft and use the trait?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shroom wrote: »

So I currently have 3 nirnhoned, 2 weapon trait and one armor, what kind of weapons/armor should i craft and use the trait?

None really. Sharpened is better than Nirn for Weapons except for one or two special instances, and your not there yet. And, as for armor, well, no reason on that, at all. Except maybe a Tank, and then on a couple of pieces only.

Basically, Nirn is only good for getting the 9th Trait so you can make some sweet set pieces.

• GilGalad
    GilGalad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was farming some mats in Craglorn on Sunday. Got a double nirncrux drop from one node twice. I guess I used all my luck there so that I will never get a sharpened Moondancer sword...
    Animals Unchained | PC EU
    Homestead Theorycrafting
    Math of RNG
  • Shroom
    Shroom
    ✭✭

None really. Sharpened is better than Nirn for Weapons except for one or two special instances, and your not there yet. And, as for armor, well, no reason on that, at all. Except maybe a Tank, and then on a couple of pieces only.

Basically, Nirn is only good for getting the 9th Trait so you can make some sweet set pieces.
    Ah ok, looks like ill need to find someone with a 9 trait :(. What kind of weapons/armor pieces would I be looking at xd?
    Edited by Shroom on March 21, 2017 9:54PM
  • Cêltic421
    Cêltic421
    ✭✭✭✭
    All over craglorn by harvesting nodes.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah ok, looks like ill need to find someone with a 9 trait :(. What kind of weapons/armor pieces would I be looking at xd?

Your new to the game and still leveling your first characters? I ask, because all these questions are good, your just worrying about them too early. Once you get to CP160, then start to worry. If your there already on one character, then forget I said anything

See this for different trait sets

http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Set+Bonus+Crafting+Locations

• Shroom
    Shroom
    ✭✭

Your new to the game and still leveling your first characters? I ask, because all these questions are good, your just worrying about them too early. Once you get to CP160, then start to worry. If your there already on one character, then forget I said anything

See this for different trait sets

http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Set+Bonus+Crafting+Locations

Haha thanks, and yes, im over 160cp. I have you added btw lol.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought that might be you.....

Yea, Nirnhorned when it came out was awesome, probably too awesome, so it was Nerfed. Into. The. Ground.

Now it's only good for learning the trait so you can make higher end, or rather, niche crafted sets. The two best sets in the game require 6 Traits. Some really like the Twice Born Star, but that set is not always the best in every situation where Hundings and Julianos are pretty much a go to set and they require 6 Traits known.

Edited by Nestor on March 21, 2017 10:05PM

• Shroom
    Shroom
    ✭✭

Thought that might be you.....

Yea, Nirnhorned when it came out was awesome, probably too awesome, so it was Nerfed. Into. The. Ground.

Now it's only good for learning the trait so you can make higher end, or rather, niche crafted sets. The two best sets in the game require 6 Traits. Some really like the Twice Born Star, but that set is not always the best in every situation where Hundings and Julianos are pretty much a go to set and they require 6 Traits known.

I thought so, I checked guild trader and the only weapons/armor that has the trait on it is only a basic weapon/armor.
  • Kozai
    Kozai
    ✭✭✭
    Now it's only good for learning the trait so you can make higher end, or rather, niche crafted sets. The two best sets in the game require 6 Traits.
    I thought so, I checked guild trader and the only weapons/armor that has the trait on it is only a basic weapon/armor.

Right, almost all the Nirn items in guild stores were basically crafted to sell to people who are wanting to learn that 9th trait, which is why they are often on low end iron weapons and such. The few people who are looking for gear for a specialized build to actually use Nirn gear probably know someone to make it, if they can't themselves.