Maintenance for the week of October 21:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 21, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

How do we get Crown gems?

Aquanova
Aquanova
✭✭✭✭✭
A official explanation would be welcome.

Do we purchase them with crowns?

Do we aquire them from completing content?

What?
NA/PC
  • Aquanova
    Aquanova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 3500 crowns and can't purchase any of the new content. Are they worthless now?
    NA/PC
  • jeedrzej
    jeedrzej
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get them if you find in crown crates something that you already have.
    Jeedrzej - Magica Dragonknight lvl 50
    Ealian Elieilijas - Magica Sorcerer lvl 50
    Enerias Kazner - Magica Templar lvl 50
    Marcelius SIlny - Stamina Dragonknight lvl 50
    Anvena Kazner - Stamina NIghtblade lvl 50
    Arcynekromantka Anastazja - Magica Nightblade lvl 50
    Threiva Krwawooka - Stamina Sorcerer lvl 50
    Anvena Karen - Stamina Templat lvl 50
    Furia Dorathis - Stamina Dragonknight lvl 50
    Verinia Dziecię Światła - Magica Templar lvl 50
    Anwen Llenariolis - Magica Warden lvl 50
    Welandil Mroźne Serce - Magicka Warden lvl 50
    Brunein Silny - Stamina Warden lvl 50
    Jilialis Szept Nocy - Magicka Sorcerer lvl 50
    Dareiva Tancerka Cieni - Stamina NIghtblade lvl 50
    Doweriusz Desson - Magicka Necromancer lvl 40

Achievement Hunter
    32560 Achievement Points
    CP1203
    3916 collected books
    305 days in-game
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Crown Gems are received in the event you receive a mount, pet, costume or personality that you already own when opening a Crown Crate. You will also have the option to convert several items obtained from Crown Crates to Crown Gems any time you want including potions, poisons, riding lessons, experience scrolls, and other utility-type items. Any Crown Gems you earn can then be used to purchase the collectible items of your choosing from the current Crown Crate season.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • bottleofsyrup
    bottleofsyrup
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People in-game are saying the item-to-gem conversion rate is pretty garbage. Can't say I'm surprised, though.
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    People in-game are saying the item-to-gem conversion rate is pretty garbage. Can't say I'm surprised, though.

What is the ratio? Anybody knows? Especially regarding consumables.
  • Skcarkden
    Skcarkden
    ✭✭✭✭

Duh... ZOS want people to spend 40k crowns MINIMUM to even have a chance of getting the thing we want because they can't just sell the item directly. How else can they achieve that without bad odd and bad conversion rates?
  • bottleofsyrup
    bottleofsyrup
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tyrion87 wrote: »

Had to ask a few people, but they're saying whole packs of things like poisons, potions, etc. only net 1 gem, so like 25x poisons would be 1 gem.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Saying its garbage is and understatement to say the least. 25 lethal poisons became 1.....gem. lol

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Had to ask a few people, but they're saying whole packs of things like poisons, potions, etc. only net 1 gem, so like 25x poisons would be 1 gem.

Omg this is ridiculous... and ZOS dare to claim they took our feedback into account by enabling such conversion.
  • Skcarkden
    Skcarkden
    ✭✭✭✭

Omg this is ridiculous... and ZOS dare to claim they took our feedback into account by enabling such conversion.

They took our feedback, they put it in our faces and said we should be grateful to them and kiss their boots.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wdm7kOi.jpg
  • SmellyButtocks
    Edit: Nevermind not really on topic.
    Edited by SmellyButtocks on December 1, 2016 4:45PM
  • Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even after all the feedback on PTS they didn't adjust the conversion rate? Just wow, now that is a slap in the face of your customers right there.

Personally I won't buy them as I will not gamble without knowing the odds. The odds in this game are getting worse overall, traits on weapons, tempers, traits on gear and especially the ambrosia stuff.
  • gothickaiserub17_ESO
    Stopnaggin wrote: »
    Even after all the feedback on PTS they didn't adjust the conversion rate? Just wow, now that is a slap in the face of your customers right there.

Personally I won't buy them as I will not gamble without knowing the odds. The odds in this game are getting worse overall, traits on weapons, tempers, traits on gear and especially the ambrosia stuff.

Well I agree with the crown crates, the drop rate on the other items you mentioned are not in anyway getting worse (except maybe set item's who have had their trait options opened up to all 8 options, even then the occurrence rate on these items is higher and your odds of getting the perfect trait is 12.5% which is actually very high for loot you will never need to run for again)
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They did take our feedback. On the pts there was no trading in poisons or food or potions. You got gems for duplicate costumes, hats, pets, mounts. You got poisons/potions/food/scrolls, you had to keep them unless you typed DESTROY to get rid of them. The totals some pts testers had for poisons/potions/food after the test run were in the hundreds.
  • Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stopnaggin wrote: »

Well I agree with the crown crates, the drop rate on the other items you mentioned are not in anyway getting worse (except maybe set item's who have had their trait options opened up to all 8 options, even then the occurrence rate on these items is higher and your odds of getting the perfect trait is 12.5% which is actually very high for loot you will never need to run for again)

The traits thing is real, monster helms, vma masters gear. My tempers have been about the same so I can't say so much about that, other then alloys which seem like the hardest to get. 12.5% doesn't seem all that unreasonable but in my experience, rng isn't actually rng as some traits drop way less then others. I can get 10 training swords farming spinners, along with a lot of other useless traits, before I ever see a sharpened trait.

Ah I'm just ranting anyway, I just have terrible luck, which is why I don't gamble. But they should seriously make it worth your money to buy these, I think the gem conversion rate is terrible.
  • Vivecc
    Vivecc
    ✭✭✭
    just to get it right i want to know if i ONLY get a conversion into gems if i buy crown crates - or can i buy other crown stuff that i already have and do the conversion into gems from that ?

thanks for clarification
    pc/eu
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Only crown crates.

You can choose to not buy duplicates if you buy items outright.

You have no choice about getting duplicates from the crown crates. You get gems for crown crate duplicates. You can get gems from crown crate consumables by trading in the consumables, although the rate is one gem per "card's worth" of items. For example poison drops in a stack of 5; you get one gem for trading in the stack.
  • That Darn Argonian
    How do we convert the consumables into gems?
    I'm pressing triangle for options and it's not saying Convert?
    It also won't let me stack my crown crate consumables with the exact same non-crown crate items. This is messing up my limited bank space so I'd like to convert them but I'm not getting the option.

Did I have to do convert them while they were still "cards"? It's not very self explanatory, to be honest.
    I thought we had to pick only one card at first!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    (I got a rock)

It's called a mimic stone. If you put it on the ground and put a piece of red meat next to it, you can pretend it's a red pit wolf pup.
    signing off
  • stevepdodson_ESO888
    stevepdodson_ESO888
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    Wdm7kOi.jpg

i love this Charlie Brown episode....now it's December I can get around to watching the Christmas one too :)
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol did anyone really expect to amass lots of crown gems quickly and get a mount you wanted without spending at least 10x what an expensive mount would cost in crowns?

If so I have some scrap metal in Brooklyn to sell ya cheap but you have to dismantle it first.
    Edited by Katahdin on December 1, 2016 8:33PM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Jaywics
    Jaywics
    ✭✭✭
    Crown Gems are received in the event you receive a mount, pet, costume or personality that you already own when opening a Crown Crate. You will also have the option to convert several items obtained from Crown Crates to Crown Gems any time you want including potions, poisons, riding lessons, experience scrolls, and other utility-type items. Any Crown Gems you earn can then be used to purchase the collectible items of your choosing from the current Crown Crate season.

Ma'am,
    Just to be clear, the crown gems will NOT carry over to the next season?

Also, will there be a pre announced time before the next season begins so that we don't lose our gems and can spend them?

Thanks in advance for the read!
    XBOX1 NA
    XBL: Jaywics
    Discord ID: jaywics#2078

• KhemSihr
    KhemSihr
    ✭✭✭
    If I wanted to gamble I would go to Blue Chip, Harrah's or Majestic.

(Other then that, I like to keep my money.)
  • Mercutio
    Mercutio
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaywics wrote: »

Ma'am,

Also, will there be a pre announced time before the next season begins so that we don't lose our gems and can spend them?

As I understand it the gems carry over from one season to the next.

The problem with arguing with a jackass is that they never stop braying.
    #DwemerLife
  • Valethar
    Valethar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaywics wrote: »
    Ma'am,

The gems from the clown crates don't expire. However, the crates have 'seasons', or a specific lifetime. Once a new season is released, the old season is retired, and the items from that season are no longer available for purchase with clown gems.

It's just another method to encourage people to overspend on clown crates. First, they ensure the RNG is craptastic, then they devalue what you do get by giving you a ridiculously poor conversion rate for all of the duplicates, then instill a fear of loss through artificial influencing of the 'rarity' of the items in the store by giving them an expiration date.
    Edited by Valethar on December 2, 2016 8:06AM
    Resistance is not futile! Say no to the Greed Collective™. Boycott Crown Crates.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be fair, if you're planning to participate in the future seasons, it's better to overspend now to stock up on gems from duplicates instead of starting fresh next season and getting a lot of new, unwanted cosmetics instead. If you spend a few hundred dollars now, you should have enough gems left to go the next couple of seasons just directly buying what you want for gems - and with each new item the average price in dollars goes down.

By no means am I encouraging people to do so, but if crown gems don't expire, it's a reasonable strategy.
    Edited by Rosveen on December 2, 2016 8:24AM
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Only fools fall for this. I feel sorry for people who are completionists and want every mount or costume ingame.

1- Put items in a gamble box
    2- Put items for sale you can only purchase with clowns
    3- make sure clowns are not easy obtaintable, only if you have item from (1) double
    4- make the items only available for small period
    5- people go rabid and buy crates and spend more then a pay-2-play mmo would cost

I am gratefull I don't care about mounts or costumes what much.

I know at least 2 other mmo's who started with crap like this, being Starwars Galaxies (with the card game which had a chance for ingame items) and Vanguard. Both games did this when they knew they where about to pull the plug of the game.

"But they announced housing and Vvardenfell, why would they pull plug of they still develop stuff"

Remember City of Brass for Vanguard, fully I development and more to come? Plug of game pulled
    Remember the ranger revamp of SWG, game phucked up. Remember all the promises and future plans for the game, ie atmospheric flight? Plug pulled.

Beware the amount of money spend in the clowcrates. The game might not pull the plug and might actually run for years. But I have seen this before and know people who spend 100's of dollars on SWG cards to get the ATAT homestead. "WOOO I got ATAT home": announcement: we go pull the plug.

Just beware. I am not a doomsday thinker. But just beware. Is the mount worth it? It runs just as fast as my old mount. Is he mount worth $100?
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Grileenor
    Grileenor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought 16 crates and own 95 gems now, selling everything of the 'stuff' found in the crates, which not went to my collection (without any choice of mine). Each crate offers at least 3 gems, if you sell the 'stuff' you get there. You might get gems for items already in your collection. Depending on their rarity you will get 5, 13 or more (didn't get more than 13) gems for each of the items.

Honestly, the rates, how much gems you get, pissed me off. I will never buy a crate again. I am not much of a 'lucky' guy and had hoped to get at least twice as much gems to compensate. So my crowns will collect dust once more.
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Incorrect there Syrup. I've traded in 25 poisons and received 25 gems. It's 1 gem per 1 item for consumables though some give 2 gems per 1 item, I think that might be the tri pots and tri foods.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50