The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

What's the current Meta magicka NB dps pVe build?

• itsfatbass
    itsfatbass
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    25k DPS single target is completely acceptable....
    ~PC/NA~ Magblade, Tankanist, Healplar, Stamcro, Oakensorc, Healden, Tanknight ~PLUR~
  • Unsent.Soul
    Unsent.Soul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hit 25k dps on bloodspawn with my mag NB before 1T. Then I heard most groups have buffs up, SPC, warhorn, ele drain, anything to help.

We did them with nothing and I still pulled 25k. That was 5 pc TBS, 2 Valkyn, 2 torugs swords, 3x willpower.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok bloodspawn 35k is attainable. That's unbuffed. Only pierce and ele drain.

No WH, SPC ror comba prayer.
    Edited by idk on November 29, 2016 5:43PM
  • Vorcil
    Vorcil
    ✭✭✭✭

I have to do 35k to be a good nightblade magicka dps according to all the top players in my guild
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In a pug run, yes it is. If trying to push leaderboards or work on a VMOL progression, you are about 15k short.

The current Meta for mNB is to roll a mSorc if you like the ranged style build. I am sort of joking, but mNBs are probably in last place at the moment. Most NBs that are still competitve run a very similar gear loadout to a mSorc. 5(TBS, Scathing, Spellweave), 4 (Aether, Moondancer), 2 monster (Grothdar, LLambris), with Double destro staff. People set up their bars a little differently, but something like this is going to be close. Only wear Scathing if you are running Twisting Path (not refreshing). As far as I know, it is still bugged and giving you a really high uptime on scathing. In a raid, especially if doing hardmodes, TBS is still great.

Front Bar: Force Pulse, Sap, Impale, Relentless, Inner Light, Meteor
    Back Bar: Blockade, Twisting Path, Crippling Grasp, Trap, Inner Light, Destro Ulti.

I like all my damage skills on one bar, and my DOTs on the other. Some mix it up a bit more and move their execute and AoE to their back bar. Shades is strong, but it causes problems in trials as they can steal buffs and stuff. If you struggle to sustain, you can swap out trap for Siphoning Strikes. I know people also sometimes run soul harvest on the front bar to build ulti faster. In pure single target, meteor is stronger than the destro ulti, but if you can time your destro ulti for add phases, your DPS will sky rocket.

Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on November 29, 2016 9:25PM
  • itsfatbass
    itsfatbass
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quit trying to act like 25k dps isn't enough. It's MORE THAN enough to beat every single dungeon. Smh.
    ~PC/NA~ Magblade, Tankanist, Healplar, Stamcro, Oakensorc, Healden, Tanknight ~PLUR~
  • itsfatbass
    itsfatbass
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's because stamina is far out of balance compared to magicka.
  • cpuScientist
    cpuScientist
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You see how he said ele drain. That should have been your clue he wasn't talking about stamina. Just saying ;)
  • cpuScientist
    cpuScientist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quit trying to act like 25k dps isn't enough. It's MORE THAN enough to beat every single dungeon. Smh.

Here's the problem with 25k on a blood spawn test. Thats what you are pulling in a perfect stacked no mechanics scenario.

Is it enough to beat a dungeon OFCOURSE, is it enough for normal trials OFCOURSE. Is it gonna get you high scores on leaderboards or beating the VMoL??? NOPERS. And OP mentioned his high class guild mates and that's. What they were talking about. 25k sadly nowadays is just not that much m8
  • itsfatbass
    itsfatbass
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You see how he said ele drain. That should have been your clue he wasn't talking about stamina. Just saying ;)
    Edited by itsfatbass on November 29, 2016 10:12PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vorcil wrote: »

I have to do 35k to be a good nightblade magicka dps according to all the top players in my guild

@Vorcil

Meh. They should be doing more than that. For one most that boast 35k are probably doing it buffed so listener beware.

However, every player should set goals for themselves. Goal to increase dps maybe by 5k. Work on finding a good build for including gear obtainable by you and focus. Only compare yourself to where you've been and the current goal.

Most important thing by any dps should do is not die. DPS drops fast with death. Become comfortable with ones rotation so it is easier to see what is occurring around your character.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@jphipps85b14_ESO1

Unsure how balance between magika and stam is relevant.

Additionally the gap has closed. Went from seeing 3-5 stam in most raid groups to having 1-2 stam now. All due to the last update. Raid dps has not suffered.
  • Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This kind of question is answered much more effectively by visiting Tamrielfoundry, and clicking on Nightblade Theorycrafting. There are several Vet Trial focused Magicka DPS builds on the first page if I remember correctly.
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu the Destroyer - NB
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • Vorcil
    Vorcil
    ✭✭✭✭

@Vorcil

Meh. They should be doing more than that. For one most that boast 35k are probably doing it buffed so listener beware.

However, every player should set goals for themselves. Goal to increase dps maybe by 5k. Work on finding a good build for including gear obtainable by you and focus. Only compare yourself to where you've been and the current goal.

Most important thing by any dps should do is not die. DPS drops fast with death. Become comfortable with ones rotation so it is easier to see what is occurring around your character.

Two things I did a couple days ago that increased my dps by 3k was switch meteor to my back bar and keep incapacitating on my front AND improved my rotation by bar swapping as soon as I use merciless resolve to put down path and criple before switching back to flame destro dot and wall of elements; medium weaving, incapacitating strike before merciless resolve again repeat. (I use a dot build) and I'm getting 28k now

But you're right, I do die a lot, probably due to my 14.5k hp hehe
  • Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just one example with a 35k bloodspawn. Nos makes great builds.

http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/noss-unoriginal-guide-to-magblade-dps-4-mantrials-tg-ready/
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu the Destroyer - NB
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • Vorcil
    Vorcil
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kutsuu wrote: »

http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/noss-unoriginal-guide-to-magblade-dps-4-mantrials-tg-ready/

This is the rotation I'm using!!!

Except that I don't have moon dancer swords, maelstrom staff and 3 piece moon jewellery
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Except that I don't have moon dancer swords, maelstrom staff and 3 piece moon jewellery

Moondancer swords in sharp are really hard to get. Our raid group clears VMOL, 3-4 times a week and I think I have seen one.

One note on moondancer: It is one of those sets that is almost certainly BIS on a lot of builds ON PAPER. Basically every 30 seconds, you go to your back bar, hit a synergy, and get either a spell damage or magic regen buff. Sounds great, but they are RNG. You can pop 4 synergies in a row, and have them all proc (reset) the regen buff. I have also had fights where it works perfectly and you get the spell damage buff every time.

On my Sorc, I have a build where I run a BSW staff on the front bar and a moondancer staff on the back bar, so I have a different 5 piece bonus on each bar. I can get my spell damage over 5k self buffed when both of them proc. If you get lucky on the synergy RNG (and assuming the synergies work, which is a big assumption at the moment), you can get really good parses. In more complicated fights like VMOL where you have a lot of other things to think about, I found it not to be worth the effort. I found myself spending more time on my back bar trying to get the synergy to work so my total DPS suffered.
  • Vorcil
    Vorcil
    ✭✭✭✭

Moondancer swords in sharp are really hard to get. Our raid group clears VMOL, 3-4 times a week and I think I have seen one.

One note on moondancer: It is one of those sets that is almost certainly BIS on a lot of builds ON PAPER. Basically every 30 seconds, you go to your back bar, hit a synergy, and get either a spell damage or magic regen buff. Sounds great, but they are RNG. You can pop 4 synergies in a row, and have them all proc (reset) the regen buff. I have also had fights where it works perfectly and you get the spell damage buff every time.

On my Sorc, I have a build where I run a BSW staff on the front bar and a moondancer staff on the back bar, so I have a different 5 piece bonus on each bar. I can get my spell damage over 5k self buffed when both of them proc. If you get lucky on the synergy RNG (and assuming the synergies work, which is a big assumption at the moment), you can get really good parses. In more complicated fights like VMOL where you have a lot of other things to think about, I found it not to be worth the effort. I found myself spending more time on my back bar trying to get the synergy to work so my total DPS suffered.

So I'll never hit the elusive 35k dps is what you're saying

Just need to re-roll a sorc or switch to stamina nb..
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, just wanted to point if you want an easier rotation (maybe the issue is execution) there is a much simpler rotation you can use:

1. Merciless Resolve
    2. Meteor>FHA (release as meteor hits)
    3. Ele Blockade>Medium Weave>Cripple>Medium Weave>bar Swap
    4. Twisting Path>Bar Swap
    5. (Force Pulse>Medium Weave) x 2>Assasin's Will>Medium Weave>Merciless Resolve>Medium Weave

Restart at Step 3
  • Vorcil
    Vorcil
    ✭✭✭✭

Hey, just wanted to point if you want an easier rotation (maybe the issue is execution) there is a much simpler rotation you can use:

1. Merciless Resolve
    5. (Force Pulse>Medium Weave) x 2>Assasin's Will>Medium Weave>Merciless Resolve>Medium Weave

Restart at Step 3

You recommend force pulse over another dot?

I'll try that out

What about putting incapacitating strike before assassin's will?
    Edited by Vorcil on November 29, 2016 11:40PM
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Complete crap spoken like true zerging repeating others.

In case you missed it this is a magica patch.

Magica classes are stronger in every aspect of PVP except 1VX, and end game PVE magic is way out preforming stamina atftge moment not only because of dame but because if the versitility.
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. Merciless Resolve

Restart at Step 3

You recommend force pulse over another dot?

I'll try that out

What about putting incapacitating strike before assassin's will?

No need since you will use meteor and the strength of Soul Harvest (Incap is the stam morph) is that it boosts DoT damage, with less of a focus on DoTs and more on spammables use meteor or the Desteo ulti (depending in the situation).
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    acw37162 wrote: »

Complete crap spoken like true zerging repeating others.

In case you missed it this is a magica patch.

Magica classes are stronger in every aspect of PVP except 1VX, and end game PVE magic is way out preforming stamina atftge moment not only because of dame but because if the versitility.

Thats not exactly accurate. Magicka in PvE is on par to Stam mainly because of survivability. Stam still outperforms magicka, however that gap is much less than it used to be. Most likely less than a 5k difference. Most people run with Magicka builds because there is literally not much to gain from running stam. Magicka users have shields for fights where you need a safety net. Magicka users have a safe way of dealing ungodly AoE damage via lughtning staff and destro ultis in general. Stam has slightly superior single target damage, but because majority of the trial is actually trash, not boss fights, Running all magicka is prefferable.

TL:DR I agree that magicka is oreferrable to stam, but definitely does not out damage stam in boss fights.
  • Mush55
    Mush55
    ✭✭✭✭

At the moment no, with a bit of love to the mnb 's clunky rotation and a bit of a buff we'll be back close to the top again.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vorcil

Not saying that at all. I was just pointing out that moondancer is not all it's cracked up to be because it depends on synergy use, which do not work as well as they probably should.

I do think that all else being equal, a mSorc is going to pull a little more than a mNB. It also depends on the circumstances of your test. 35K on bloodspawn with only major breach is tough to do. You are going to have to hit your rotation nearly perfectly to pull it off. I personally dont mess with bloodspawn tests. I care about what I can do in a trial, and the best for one is not necessarily the best for the other.

NBs arguably have an advantage in solo tests because Merciless Resolve is essentially a self applied combat prayer (same damage buff). It is also one reason they struggle in a raid. Basically, one of their best buff skills is redundant. A good raid will be giving you combat prayer anyways.

They could fix mNBs overnight if the buff from merciless resolve was similar to but stacked with Combat Prayer, and also made it so you didnt have to double cast it to use the proc and reapply. That is the other issue with merciless in a raid. Not only is the buff redundant and essentially meaningless, the proc really only hits half as hard as it says because you need to cast it twice to get it to fire. That is two force pulse weaves your are sacrificing for one proc weave. Compare that to Crystal Frags, which hits just about as hard, but only requires one cast. Sure Frags doesnt give you a buff, but like I said, the raid should be doing that anyways.
  • Mush55
    Mush55
    ✭✭✭✭

@Vorcil

Not saying that at all. I was just pointing out that moondancer is not all it's cracked up to be because it depends on synergy use, which do not work as well as they probably should.

I do think that all else being equal, a mSorc is going to pull a little more than a mNB. It also depends on the circumstances of your test. 35K on bloodspawn with only major breach is tough to do. You are going to have to hit your rotation nearly perfectly to pull it off. I personally dont mess with bloodspawn tests. I care about what I can do in a trial, and the best for one is not necessarily the best for the other.

NBs arguably have an advantage in solo tests because Merciless Resolve is essentially a self applied combat prayer (same damage buff). It is also one reason they struggle in a raid. Basically, one of their best buff skills is redundant. A good raid will be giving you combat prayer anyways.

They could fix mNBs overnight if the buff from merciless resolve was similar to but stacked with Combat Prayer, and also made it so you didnt have to double cast it to use the proc and reapply. That is the other issue with merciless in a raid. Not only is the buff redundant and essentially meaningless, the proc really only hits half as hard as it says because you need to cast it twice to get it to fire. That is two force pulse weaves your are sacrificing for one proc weave. Compare that to Crystal Frags, which hits just about as hard, but only requires one cast. Sure Frags doesnt give you a buff, but like I said, the raid should be doing that anyways.

Pretty much this...........................................