The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Official Discussion Thread for "Play ESO in 4k on the PlayStation®4 Pro"

ZOS_KaiSchober
This is the official discussion thread for the blog article Play ESO in 4k on the PlayStation®4 Pro.
Starting today, you can play The Elder Scrolls Online on the new Sony PlayStation®4 Pro in native 4K!

88ab4b7eff5e4b86f0e42b11c4003cbd.jpg

Kai Schober
Senior Community Manager - The Elder Scrolls Online
Facebook | Twitter | Twitch
Staff Post
  • ZorroDeMar
    ZorroDeMar
    ✭✭
    What happens with the Xbox one 4K?
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_KaiSchober @ZOS_JessicaFolsom My PS4 Pro arrives later today, and my understanding is that it includes a transfer option to move everything from the PS4 to the Pro via Ethernet cable.

My question is, do I need to re-install the base game on the new console and download all the updates again to experience 4K and the other benefits of the PS4Pro, or is transferring everything over from my old PS4 using Sony's transfer option going to be enough? I'm sure I won't be the only one with this question.
    Edited by dotme on November 10, 2016 4:55PM
    PS4NA
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dotme wrote: »
    My question is, do I need to re-install the base game on the new console and download all the updates again to experience 4K and the other benefits of the PS4Pro, or is transferring everything over from my old PS4 using Sony's transfer option going to be enough? I'm sure I won't be the only one with this question.

You will have to download the game again.
  • pasmith_ESO
    pasmith_ESO
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_KaiSchober @ZOS_JessicaFolsom My PS4 Pro arrives later today, and my understanding is that it includes a transfer option to move everything from the PS4 to the Pro via Ethernet cable.

For some reason my PS4 Pro arrived a day early. I transferred TESO from the old PS4 to the PS4 Pro and it worked fine. If it downloaded anything it was so small that I didn't notice. I transferred about 8 games, maybe 300 GB total, and it took about an hour. That's over a wired connection.
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ManDraKE wrote: »
    You will have to download the game again.
    Ah but I didn't download it to begin with. I own a physical copy. So my PS4 has the physical disk installed, plus of course all subsequent patches. At best, I can only reinstall the game from that same original CD/BluRay disk, which is why I wondered if I'd get 4K benefits just from transferring everything over. Hope this makes sense.

PS4NA
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple were saying over at ESO Reddit who have the Pro that they aren't noticing much or any difference in image quality at 1080p and that the only supposed improvements are in better lighting, water reflections, and shadow fidelity. Has all the improvements for the PS4 Pro not been implemented yet by ZOS? I was hoping for a noticeable improvement at 1080p in image quality bringing it a little closer to PC.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple were saying over at ESO Reddit who have the Pro that they aren't noticing much or any difference in image quality at 1080p and that the only supposed improvements are in better lighting, water reflections, and shadow fidelity. Has all the improvements for the PS4 Pro not been implemented yet by ZOS? I was hoping for a noticeable improvement at 1080p in image quality bringing it a little closer to PC.

!!! Hmm I'd really hope for those who picked a PS4 pro, that these updates are huge cause if not, what's the point!!!!

Not blaming ESO on this either cause i don't know enough to point fingers.
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭

!!! Hmm I'd really hope for those who picked a PS4 pro, that these updates are huge cause if not, what's the point!!!!

Not blaming ESO on this either cause i don't know enough to point fingers.

I'm downloading the 40GB update on my Pro now so I'll post my opinion later.
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you read the article? It says that if you don't have a 4k monitor the enhanced 1080 would only improve those elements.
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • sadownik
    sadownik
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you read the article? It says that if you don't have a 4k monitor the enhanced 1080 would only improve those elements.

Did you try it on ps4 pro? Because so far most people are rather disappointed with effect.
  • Cerbolt
    Cerbolt
    ✭✭✭✭

Well that sounds pretty disappointing... I hope they'll do more improvements than that because I can't see that having much of an impact at all, we may as well just use an og ps4.
    AD - For the Queen!
    PSEU: Relaryn - Altmer Vampblade | Kazhran - Khajiit Stamsorc | Khahan-ra - Khajiit Magplar | Ra'ban - Khajiit MagDK | Gaelhwen - Bosmer Stamden

PCEU: Kazhran - Khajiit Stamsorc | Khahan-ra - Khajiit Stamplar | Relaryn - Altmer Vampblade
  • LastPrussian
    Playing this already gorgeous game in 4K would be simply amazing.

Is ESO compatible with PS VR? That would be nothing short of incredible.
    OGCryptor on Xbox Live, twitter, Facebook, streaming on www.mixer.com/OGCryptor
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, what a massive disappointment this is turning out to be. Thanks to @pasmith_ESO for the transfer tip - Worked like a charm. However, after playing for 3 hours this evening, I have noticed the following:

1) The "better lighting, water reflections, and shadow fidelity" are available only if you run 1080 Enhanced - They're gone when you run native 4K so you have to choose which one you prefer.

2) I can't run for more than 15 minutes in PVP Scourge before getting kicked to the dashboard. On my PS4, I was able to run several hours without a crash. Plus, since you now have to log into an alt before you can log back in as the character you were playing, I am basically spending 5 minutes out of every 20 trying to rejoin the game and hoping my group hasn't kicked me. Ugh. After some testing, I find that crashing in Cyrodiil is worse on 1080 Enhanced than native 4K. At 1080 Enhanced, I'm lucky to last 10 minutes before blue-screen. Native 4K, closer to 15 minutes between dumps.

3) I also noticed that if I run 1080 Enhanced, combat text (damage dealt, damage taken) doesn't work at all.

I spent money to get a better experience on ESO and the unfortunately the experience so far is much worse for me. I hope others have better luck.

PS4NA
  • ArgoCye
    ArgoCye
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, what a massive disappointment this is turning out to be. Thanks to @pasmith_ESO for the transfer tip - Worked like a charm. However, after playing for 3 hours this evening, I have noticed the following:

1) The "better lighting, water reflections, and shadow fidelity" are available only if you run 1080 Enhanced - They're gone when you run native 4K so you have to choose which one you prefer.

2) I can't run for more than 15 minutes in PVP Scourge before getting kicked to the dashboard. On my PS4, I was able to run several hours without a crash. Plus, since you now have to log into an alt before you can log back in as the character you were playing, I am basically spending 5 minutes out of every 20 trying to rejoin the game and hoping my group hasn't kicked me. Ugh. After some testing, I find that crashing in Cyrodiil is worse on 1080 Enhanced than native 4K. At 1080 Enhanced, I'm lucky to last 10 minutes before blue-screen. Native 4K, closer to 15 minutes between dumps.

3) I also noticed that if I run 1080 Enhanced, combat text (damage dealt, damage taken) doesn't work at all.

I spent money to get a better experience on ESO and the unfortunately the experience so far is much worse for me. I hope others have better luck.

Hmm - I have experienced more instability in PVP since the 1T update - including not being able to log in with the same character. So if this is WORSE with the PRO, then I will just leave it for a few months. Very disappointing.

Come on @ZoS, Cyrodiil performance, after showing signs of improvement a few months back, has gone seriously backwards. First time I have said this in a while, but I am losing patience.
  • gootdude
    gootdude
    ✭✭✭
    I'm running on 1080p enhanced mode and the performance is obvious for situations that had massive frame rate drops on the normal ps4.

I can now goto Orsinium and it feels like near 30fps, instead of 5 fps. Same goes for being in giant cyrodiil fights, it no longer feels like 1-2 fps, and the game actually feels like it is responding.

I felt like my magicka sorcerer played a lot better and I could shield and live through zergs that normally would just instant freeze and kill me.

Also, the ps4 pro is pretty much silent even while playing the game in these situations, I haven't heard the fans kick on at all yet.
    Edited by gootdude on November 11, 2016 4:39AM
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gootdude wrote: »
    I'm running on 1080p enhanced mode and the performance is obvious for situations that had massive frame rate drops on the normal ps4.

I can now goto Orsinium and it feels like near 30fps, instead of 5 fps. Same goes for being in giant cyrodiil fights, it no longer feels like 1-2 fps, and the game actually feels like it is responding.

I felt like my magicka sorcerer played a lot better and I could shield and live through zergs that normally would just instant freeze and kill me.

Also, the ps4 pro is pretty much silent even while playing the game in these situations, I haven't heard the fans kick on at all yet.

I can echo the same. I haven't played a lot tonight but everything does feel smoother and snappier when running through populated areas and doing tasks that would normally cause intermittent stutter and lag. I'm using the 1080p enhanced and I'm starting to notice the difference in lighting and shadows as well which does make it look better. Hopefully ZOS can continue to do more with the Pro and will quickly fix a couple of these bugs like Combat Text not showing up.
    Edited by Twohothardware on November 11, 2016 8:49AM
  • Morphestra
    Morphestra
    ✭✭✭
    I'm using the 1080p enhanced and I'm starting to notice the difference in lighting and shadows as well which does make it look better. Hopefully ZOS can continue to do more with the Pro and will quickly fix a couple of these bugs like Combat Text not showing up.

Where in the Settings you can access this option?

I am playing on a PS4 Pro with a Standard 1080p TV Screen and i see no difference between PS4 and PS4 Pro.
  • JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must say that I've had a great experience with this game on the PS4 Pro. Looks great in 4K and runs smoothly. I have encountered a few crashes to dashboard, but I'm really impressed. Great work on this.

I should be incredibly excited with ESO on the PS4 Pro. I mainly play an Argonian. Shadows of the Hist was something I was very excited for. The Argonian themed armor sets and style parlor options were incredible. It was appearing to be everything my main character could want in a dlc. With some of the options being locked in crown crates ( Enveloping scales and rooster frills) it has greatly affected my will to continue to play that character. Without the ability to obtain the items that were shown during Shadows of the Hist, I am finding it hard to desire playing that character and in consequence the game. I don't want to gamble, it's not a way I will support you.

I keep leaving feedback in hopes you will cater to players such as myself who want to support you in a way that I can justify. This means a flat price. I have supported ESO for a long time and hope to continue doing so. I hope you will take this feedback into consideration.
  • ohmygodie
    ohmygodie
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_KaiSchober
    Was it officially acknowledged that combat text is broken on 4k TV?
    Both in 1080p enhanced or 4k modes, damage numbers appear in the top left section of the screen, as if still displayed at their 1080-centered position.
  • Eshelmen
    Eshelmen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can someone add some pics of theirs? Can we see any 4k screens?
    PC and PS4 EP only player
  • Threemoons
    Threemoons
    ✭✭✭
    If you have a paid up ESO sub on PC, can you transfer it to the PS4? Can you play on both platforms or would you have to buy a new sub? I already have a paid up PC sub.
    Playing on PC/NA---UserID=Threemoons--usually on nights, weekends
  • JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Threemoons wrote: »
    If you have a paid up ESO sub on PC, can you transfer it to the PS4? Can you play on both platforms or would you have to buy a new sub? I already have a paid up PC sub.

The accounts are different. I have a sub on PS4, on PC I don't. You would need to sub on both accounts.
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got my LG 4K monitor today and even without HDR support the game looks much better at the higher resolution. The text on the screen and in the chat window alone is so much better in 4K where the text is smaller and much sharper and clearer like you would have on PC.
  • Sugaroverdose
    Sugaroverdose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO on PS4 Pro crashes all the time, in cyrodiil it's even worse - you can't login after crash until char teleported to home, combat text appears in left corner, etc.
    Maybe you'll release patch with 'stable' option which just works?
    Morphestra wrote: »
    I'm using the 1080p enhanced and I'm starting to notice the difference in lighting and shadows as well which does make it look better. Hopefully ZOS can continue to do more with the Pro and will quickly fix a couple of these bugs like Combat Text not showing up.

I am playing on a PS4 Pro with a Standard 1080p TV Screen and i see no difference between PS4 and PS4 Pro.
    Settings->Video->first point.
    Edited by Sugaroverdose on November 18, 2016 11:43AM
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I'm starting to experience the same crashes in Cyrodiil and have had a couple in PvE areas too. I just crashed in Blackwater and at the moment can't log back in yet on my character. Hopefully ZOS sees our posts and gets the issue addressed quickly.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ESO on PS4 Pro crashes all the time, in cyrodiil it's even worse - you can't login after crash until char teleported to home, combat text appears in left corner, etc.

In game? I'm going to assume that setting only appears when connected to a 4k dispaly. As without a 4k display the game simply defaults to the "enhanced" version and the setting option is entirely absent.
  • Sugaroverdose
    Sugaroverdose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »

In game? I'm going to assume that setting only appears when connected to a 4k dispaly. As without a 4k display the game simply defaults to the "enhanced" version and the setting option is entirely absent.
    Yep, in game and console connected to 4k display in my case.
    Anyway, enhanced mode better just because of better shadows and shadows render distance, 4k doesn't actually increase level of detail at all.
    Edited by Sugaroverdose on November 24, 2016 2:25PM
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »

Yep, in game and console connected to 4k display in my case.
    Anyway, enhanced mode better just because of better shadows and shadows render distance, 4k doesn't actually increase level of detail at all.

That's not true, 4k is a much higher resolution than 1080p and every time you gain more pixels the level of detail increases.
  • CommanderROR
    4K does make the game look better (mainly sharper) but does not automatically increase details, texture res and so on. I does look pretty OK though.

What I'd really like to see ZOS add though is better Lighting and full HDR support. Skyrim on PC (with enhanced Texture pack) had some amazing light and shadown effects, especially in dungeons, and I'd really love to see that come to life in ESO...
  • PaxSMB
    PaxSMB
    Soul Shriven
    Folks I have read through this whole thread but I am still lost:
    1. I have a digital copy
    2. transferred my whole system over from vanilla ps4 to pro using LAN cable.
    3. Have not re-downloaded the game.
    4. I am on a 1080p tv and want to use 1080p enhanced.

BUT the option is not there in settings...

What do I do to access the new mode?