[Suggestion] Instance everything.

AuldWolf
AuldWolf
✭✭✭✭✭
Since Tamriel is already so instanced anyway, it would make for a vast improvement. Here's what I'm suggesting...

An instanced world would mean that players could have world zones according to whatever difficulty they desire. Casual for those who want to be able to solo world bosses, right up to Nightmare for those who'd like to see bosses require a group of 80~ people to take them down. This would also scale all public dungeons. Furthermore, two more options could be added called 'chaos' and 'order.' On a chaos instance, PvP would be allowed everywhere and town guards could be killed. On an order instance, PvP is only allowed outside of areas sanctioned as safe spots (such as towns, wayshrines, et cetera) and guards cannot be killed.

Instanced content would lead to a happier playerbase. No one likes forced grouping. It's the cancer that's plagued so many modern MMOs and the vast, vast majority of people hate it, it makes them resent the MMO developer. So don't do it. No more forced grouping, no more pseudo-forced grouping. Instead, all group dungeons and delves will now scale to a difficulty according to the number of players entering. Also, players can choose to have public or private (to their party, or themselves if they're solo) instances of delves. Thus giving everyone the choice to play as they want.

Finally, instance resources, please. Guild Wars 2 does it, so why can't ESO? And I know ESO can do it because the technology is already there. It's being used to scale nodes to one's crafting knowledge/level, after all. It could also be used to instance nodes to the player, so if three people end up at a node, all three can harvest the node. This would allow people to feel happy and comfortable about seeing other players around, without the anxiety and competition of fighting over nodes. This fighting over nodes is WoW-minded, outmoded, and frankly antiquated. It has no place in ESO.

by adding these additions, you could truly call Tamriel a 'Play Your Way' game. You could even make that a new marketing campaign. Play Your Way. No more forced grouping, no more frustration, just a game you can have fun with, Your Way. Let that be ESO's new motto.

@ZOS_GinaBruno - Please, pass this on. It needs to be heard.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AuldWolf wrote: »
    Instanced content would lead to a happier playerbase. No one likes forced grouping. It's the cancer that's plagued so many modern MMOs and the vast, vast majority of people hate it, it makes them resent the MMO developer. So don't do it. No more forced grouping, no more pseudo-forced grouping. Instead, all group dungeons and delves will now scale to a difficulty according to the number of players entering. Also, players can choose to have public or private (to their party, or themselves if they're solo) instances of delves. Thus giving everyone the choice to play as they want..

    @AuldWolf

    Nothing in the paragraph I quoted is correct. It really looks like OP prefers a single player game. I find it humorous that OP is stating people resent MMO developers because they have to group with other players to complete some content.

    Thanks for the daily humor.
    Really, idk
  • mrsrobot
    mrsrobot
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can see OP point and it's not always about playing solo. Sometimes it seems to take ages to form a group if you can at all and then keep it together and if you don't have a lot of time it is very frustrating as the content itself can take a long time. This instancing would allow you to play either way, you could group if more time available or solo or duo if less. Another option is NPC assistants \ hench people.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mrsrobot wrote: »
    I can see OP point and it's not always about playing solo. Sometimes it seems to take ages to form a group if you can at all and then keep it together and if you don't have a lot of time it is very frustrating as the content itself can take a long time. This instancing would allow you to play either way, you could group if more time available or solo or duo if less. Another option is NPC assistants \ hench people.

    One word. Guilds.

    We can join 5. If you are not in a guild meeting your needs, find one to drop and go on a search for a new one. MMOs are built on having guilds.
    Really, idk
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaiTash wrote: »
    Zuuman wrote: »
    If you want skyrim.. then play skyrim. Its right there for you. This is an MMO and those 3 letters are made specifically so you know there will be a ***-ton of player around.

    You knew it when you paid the price.

    Actually it was known as a quiet cosy single player mmo with optional coop perfect for antisocial jerks like me when i paid the price. Now it's still a single player mmo, just not quiet and cosy and coop is no longer optional 'cause even if you can faceroll something alone there WILL be those who are willing to help. Even if you just want to test your rotation on a mammoth, you'll always find a complaisant player who will help you kill it.

    @LaiTash

    Actually, it was billed as an MMO with friction to encourage grouping. Of course some content from day one required grouping such as the dungeons.

    All that has happened recently is that friction to encourage grouping was brought back.
    Really, idk
  • LaiTash
    LaiTash
    ✭✭✭
    LaiTash wrote: »
    Zuuman wrote: »
    If you want skyrim.. then play skyrim. Its right there for you. This is an MMO and those 3 letters are made specifically so you know there will be a ***-ton of player around.

    You knew it when you paid the price.

    Actually it was known as a quiet cosy single player mmo with optional coop perfect for antisocial jerks like me when i paid the price. Now it's still a single player mmo, just not quiet and cosy and coop is no longer optional 'cause even if you can faceroll something alone there WILL be those who are willing to help. Even if you just want to test your rotation on a mammoth, you'll always find a complaisant player who will help you kill it.

    @LaiTash

    Actually, it was billed as an MMO with friction to encourage grouping. Of course some content from day one required grouping such as the dungeons.

    All that has happened recently is that friction to encourage grouping was brought back.

    I'd prefer they did stick to play-the-way-you-want.
    Edited by LaiTash on November 1, 2016 3:29AM
  • rager82b14_ESO
    rager82b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Op I agree with you.

    Having the power to scale the world, and being able to make the world tailor to you or your group needs would be great.

    Truth is, this game is not a good mmo, so it needs to do things like this to stand out. Balance risk vs reward. Let players scale with the skill of the group and just enjoy.

    The game would be much better if that was the case. It could also be only an option. If you want the normal MMO way having people run around. Go for it. If you want your own personal world with your family/friends. Do it.


    More options is a good thing. Also...I saw no logical reason why this would be bad. I mean with the stupid system they have with the auction house, having a instance world seems like it would throw a bone for people who wanted ESO to be a co op skyrim.
  • Ghost-Shot
    Ghost-Shot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, terrible idea, go play a single player game.
    <Vehemence Officer>
  • rager82b14_ESO
    rager82b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ghost-Shot wrote: »
    No, terrible idea, go play a single player game.


    You mean ESO is not that? You still not gave a reason why having this option is a bad idea.
  • SanTii.92
    SanTii.92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't agree but I'd appreciate shards to be more strict. Trying to, not even farm, but complete world bosses, dolmens and public dungeons are not enjoyable whatsoever with a small army camping for them, and it doesn't seem like population density is going to lower any time soon.

    Tldr; phase more players in open world, current limit is too high.
    When the snows fall and the white winds blow,
    the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives.

    Arg | Pc Na | Factionless Mag Warden.
  • Blutengel
    Blutengel
    ✭✭✭
    I'm all for this . ESO is my favorite game but I love to play alone the majority of the time. Having that option would be wonderful because then I could enjoy dungeons on my own time and not have to skip dialogue because party is waiting. It wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit if the solo dungeons rewards were less than a full party one because I just want to enjoy the story and progress though the content.

    With that said, I do enjoy groups from time to time and would still que for them when in the mood or wanted to earn a better piece of gear.

    Now as for instance resources I don't know if I can get behind that one unless they imposed a major respawn time on it or something, the world is so big and full of them anyways.
    Edited by Blutengel on November 1, 2016 10:00AM
    Time for reckless audacity and derring-do!~
    Solitary Angel Sorcerer
    Crow-Friend Warden
    Stigmata Martyrr Nightblade
    Najara the Crusader Templar
    Thomasin the Witch Necro
    Pauladeen Ya'll lv 1 (mule)
    R.I.P Vet ranks...
  • SaibotLiu
    SaibotLiu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Instances are already a childish design for an mmo. But I can appreciate why on the megaserver or for certain solo quests they're needed, to an extent. But OP is just talking about a bunch of safe spaces for certain player types because they dont wanna compete or dont like other people. Im not a huge fan of mmo players, but that doesnt mean I feel there should be special rules to protect me from them, or vice versa, that compromise the games integrity. There's no such thing as forced grouping. If a quest requires a group, and you dont wanna join, you can choose not to do that quest, simples. There are already plenty of activities for all gameplay choices in the game, go do something else.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While your point of view is shared by some, I'm part of a group that's bothered that everything isn't group-able content.

    I don't want things phased off cause I want to see and interact with others and even avoid others. It brings the game to life.

    Reason i played Guild wars for such a short time was because it was just a single player game Online a required server. It was often more frustrating than logical.

    This game should actually be more geared for group and multi-social play and not made solo-able for everything or phased so that ppl are shut off from others. That how you create problems that don't exist.

    Understand that those who play for group content are alread complaining about how easy the game is and how hard it is to find others to do group content. The bigger ask from those groups is not to phase things but to remove more barriers while you're suggesting to create more barriers.

    I disagree with this.
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Go play skyrim
    Susano'o

    Zerg Squad
  • Morbash
    Morbash
    ✭✭✭✭
    I specifically like the idea of group dungeons scaling for the solo player since it's such a pain to find a competent group. However, there's better solutions for solving my specific issue.

    Also, this would defeat the purpose of One Tamriel. Why would ZOS unite the playerbase only to segregate it again? Wouldn't make much sense. Not only that, but I'd prefer ZOS spent their time developing new content, specifically PVP content. PVP has been severely neglected for a long while now.
    Edited by Morbash on November 1, 2016 10:40PM
    "War doesn't build character; it reveals it."
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are plenty of solo instances in this game. Just go to a shrine, port to to a dungeon and solo it. Problem solved.
    Beta tester since February 2014, playing ESO-TU since October 2015
    vMA | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1
    EU PC CP 2000+
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    The Alchemist's Emporium: Friend
    Handelsgilde: Elite
    Divine Deals: Friend


    Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 34 | Master Crafter: all traits, styles & recipes
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 18 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 18 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 18 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 18 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 18 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 18 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 15 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 15 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 15 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 15 |

    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 4 |
    Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 3 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 3 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 3 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 3 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 3 |
  • Dephyrius
    Dephyrius
    ✭✭
    I can't get behind this either. I'm just recently returned to the game, and love the fact that it feels more alive then ever. I realize playing on the Xbox one it feels a little harder to find and communicate with guilds especially with everything being voice comm all the time and sometimes I just don't really want to sit in the channel and listen to everyone talk (but would rather have a guild text chat but neither here nor there) but that's a concession I'm willing to make. As far as the game goes, I too, consider myself alot of times to be a solo player nowadays rather then a hardcore group going mmo player. That said, I love the fact that its an MMO. There are TONS of options. I bought the game KNOWING what I was in for. I knew that being a 'massive multiplayer online game' that there is going to be PLENTY of content for me to do on my own, and plenty of content for the people that like to group all of the time, and I love the idea of being able to do both, when I want. From the time I played previously and from what I've seen and done thus far again I'm pretty sure that there are TONS of delves and instances that I can go and solo, along with public dungeons, that were made for this very sort of thing. I love the idea of challenging myself to do it solo and if someone comes along and whacks some mobs that I'm working on, that's cool with me. Get you some. Doesn't take away from my accomplishments, and if I show up when a world boss is being camped, that means less time for me to have to try and find a group and I can get it done or I can come back another time if I really want to try and solo it.

    If however you're looking for a truer 'single player experience' (which this game already offers already on a wonderful scale for an MMO) then maybe an MMO isn't quite what you're wanting.
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    There are plenty of solo instances in this game. Just go to a shrine, port to to a dungeon and solo it. Problem solved.

    Theres no such thing as a solo dungeon except on certain quests.

    @OP.
    Options and choices are always the correct way to go in my eyes.
    And once again MMO = massive mutiple players online.
    Saying people should not solo stuff because MMO.
    is as stupid as saying
    All the 1000s of players online at any time are all required to comlpete a boss...because MMO

    Group size is a variable somewhere between the two extremes.
    Edited by Rune_Relic on November 1, 2016 12:44PM
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • RiddleDiddle
    RiddleDiddle
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't want this, but let's be real, some story missions would be better if instanced or not.... since following the main story that says that i should kill the Corporal or stop the Dolmen Ritual and when i arrive they are all dead isn't really the greatest experience....

    So i would say, don't instance everything, instance only the MAIN story mode dungeons and or missions where there is a possibility and make it a choice to make it either solo or open.
    I understand some mission of the main story mode can't be solo instance, but some i saw (like in the Hunting Grounds of Hircine) can be solo instanced and would really help with the experience of the story.

    Greetings from,

    RiddleDiddle the advice Horker
    ( ノ ゚ー゚)ノ My Copying Skills Are Great ヽ(゚ー゚ヽ)

    Greetings from the advice Horker
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes I wish all the delves would be instanced. There's nothing worse than following a Craglorn quest into a delve only to follow a trail of dead bodies. So you walk through the empty dungeon to find the final boss is nearly dead. Pick up your quest and head back out. How is that in anyway entertaining?
    If all dungeons were instanced (like just you and your group, if you're in one), then this wouldn't be an issue. You could still enjoy the game, and it would still be considered an MMO because your group is there.
    (sqweee )>--- ۜ\(סּںסּَ` )/ۜ
  • Junipus
    Junipus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaiTash wrote: »
    LaiTash wrote: »
    Zuuman wrote: »
    If you want skyrim.. then play skyrim. Its right there for you. This is an MMO and those 3 letters are made specifically so you know there will be a ***-ton of player around.

    You knew it when you paid the price.

    Actually it was known as a quiet cosy single player mmo with optional coop perfect for antisocial jerks like me when i paid the price. Now it's still a single player mmo, just not quiet and cosy and coop is no longer optional 'cause even if you can faceroll something alone there WILL be those who are willing to help. Even if you just want to test your rotation on a mammoth, you'll always find a complaisant player who will help you kill it.

    @LaiTash

    Actually, it was billed as an MMO with friction to encourage grouping. Of course some content from day one required grouping such as the dungeons.

    All that has happened recently is that friction to encourage grouping was brought back.

    I'd prefer they did stick to play-the-way-you-want.

    Play-the-way-you-want is just empty marketing promises, like 'all natural' and 'have it your way' and 'vegan friendly'
    The Legendary Nothing
  • BlanketFort
    BlanketFort
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can understand why you'd want it that way, but I'm going to throw in my .02 anyway :P

    I like the way it is now. I see other players roaming about and that's cool, it actually feels like an MMO as opposed to pre-1T where I'd maybe see 3 others in an entire zone.

    I also don't find that grouping is forced. Dungeons can remain the way they are. If it were instanced, then people would much rather prefer to do them solo and well.. that'd just be less interaction with others, and I'm happy even if the one I'm interacting with is a prick. I play ESO for its MMO part, if seeing other players irked me or if having to group for content was something I didn't want to do, I'd be playing Skyrim instead of this (as it currently is) lag&crash fest.

    I wouldn't even want for nodes to be instanced. A bit of competitive play is necessary in an MMO. If nodes were instanced, I'd never have to shop at a trader ever again. If someone beat me to a node, I move on, there'll be plenty more ahead of me. Having missed that one Mountain flower is not the end of my world ;) besides, in my experience, nodes are plentiful in-game.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know that everything needs to be instanced but I'll make two comments.

    Instanced 'dungeon' content which scaled to the number of players worked a treat for City of Heroes. It was brilliant. Friends / guildmates could come and go and the fun never had to stop and we never needed strangers.

    Duelling should definitely be instanced / phased. Give us a setting which lets us make all those show-offs disappear from our game so we can do our business in cities in peace and oh yeah, have vital NPCs and crafting stations not sometimes take almost a minute to load.
  • LaiTash
    LaiTash
    ✭✭✭
    SaibotLiu wrote: »
    Instances are already a childish design for an mmo. But I can appreciate why on the megaserver or for certain solo quests they're needed, to an extent. But OP is just talking about a bunch of safe spaces for certain player types because they dont wanna compete or dont like other people. Im not a huge fan of mmo players, but that doesnt mean I feel there should be special rules to protect me from them, or vice versa, that compromise the games integrity. There's no such thing as forced grouping. If a quest requires a group, and you dont wanna join, you can choose not to do that quest, simples. There are already plenty of activities for all gameplay choices in the game, go do something else.

    After 1T, the only single-player activity i find worth doing is TG repeatables. I tried doing a public dungeon run today morning, but alas, mornings are the same as evenings there.
Sign In or Register to comment.