The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

New to tanking. Which crafter sets?

DarkDeller
As title says, ive just levelled an Imperial Dk, which i will ise to tank pve and pvp content. As i need to farm drop gear, what crafted sets would be a good start? Im thinking of running snb and 2h.
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hist Bark . Great for beginners . Crap after you learn how to tank .
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tavas is great
  • SolarCat02
    SolarCat02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tava's Favor is considered one of the Best in Slot sets for tanking in Trials, so it's a good one to craft and improve.

As mentioned, Hist Bark is a good one, especially if you need help with roll dodging.

I like Armor Master, too, although I use it more for running dungeons with a still-leveling tank. It's not the greatest for endgame, but it takes longer to "outlevel" if you are running normals. (My lvl 31 could easily use the "stand in fire" tactic for Maw in Banished Cells II, even though her armor is still lvl 16, and we didn't have an actual healer that cast healing spells).

For your off-set, Death's Wind is one of my favorites. The five piece bonus is not that great, but the other three bonuses are good for tanks, so it's a great filler set for your leftover pieces.
    Edited by SolarCat02 on October 29, 2016 6:32PM
    Why be normal when you can be better?

Elissandra Ravenwing, Magicka Dragonknight Healer
    Lady Kalila, Stamina Templar DPS
    Stands-in-Danger, Nightblade Saptank
    Zalarah, Stamina Dragonknight DPS
  • bigted209
    bigted209
    ✭✭✭
    For pve I ran 5 hist bark, 4 song of lamae, 3 endurance for the longest time while my tank was growing. Now running 5 tava, 5 ebon, 2 engine guardian. Less need to keep myself alive(role mastery/champion points) now more group/utility buff. Extra health for everyone from ebon and more frequent warhorn from tava. I do replace tava with black rose when tanking in pvp...really only thing I do with him in cyrodiil is guard the emp when my guild has it. We do make a mess of things :D
  • WalksonGraves
    WalksonGraves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whitestrake is a good set for crafted set for early-mid game. Nothing like a safety net.
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafted;

Hist Bark
    Seducer
    Armor Master
    Orgrams Scales
    Tavas
    Pelenials Appitude

Are all viable options plus a couple I know I forgot.
  • Gaggin
    Gaggin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes Hist bark is best to start with because it will be useful your whole tanking career. Even after you get comfortable using tavas, alkosh, etc. you will still want it for super hard-hitting bosses like the Warrior and vaa axes. I wouldn't reccomend tavas to start unless you have something like footman or ebon already to pair with it, as tavas doesnt offer much in 'tanky' stats.
  • bigted209
    bigted209
    ✭✭✭
    I eventually switched out hist for armor master, use shuffle(med armor skill) to proc the armor master resistance buff....same concept as hist, but it's 20% all the time, not just while blocking!
    Edited by bigted209 on October 31, 2016 1:31PM
  • Flameheart
    Flameheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would aim for

5 x Tavas (crafted)
    5 x Ebon (Crypt of Hearts)

and either Bloodspawn (SC2) or Engine Guardian (DC2). At best both for switching around.

It is already great for a trial tank and will do the job for every 4-men-content too. People will love you for the warhorn uptime.

As long as you have no monster sets and no Ebon, get any crafted set that gives you some health, physical or spell resistance bonuses. Try to get a set with a 5-set-bonus that does either boost your ressources or gives a viable buff to the group. If you can get to 28k-30k resistances selfbuffed all is fine (CPs do the rest).

Edited by Flameheart on October 31, 2016 2:50PM
    Sometimes the prey turns and nips us... it's a small thing.

So let the snow flakes and unicorns dance alone until they melt or vanish from existence, we will finish up with those smart enough to stay in the glowing circle of love.

Selissi - CP 1k+ Redguard Stamina Nightblade (Ebonheart Pact)
    Silmerel - CP 1k+ Breton Magicka Templar (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sunja - CP 1k+ Dunmer Magicka Nightblade (Ebonheart Pact)
    Suldreni - CP 1k+ Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sulhelka - CP 1k+ Altmer Magicka Sorcerer (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sylundine - CP 1k+ Breton Magicka Warden (Ebonheart Pact)

• DarkDeller
    Thx for replies. Now where too put my champ points???
  • DarkDeller
    Also what traits, glyphs do i want to use? And all heavy? Im think 4pc hist bark and 5 piece armour master???? And endurence jewellery
    Edited by DarkDeller on November 2, 2016 7:19AM
  • bigted209
    bigted209
    ✭✭✭
    Way I run my tank...a lot of health, a big stamina pool for blocking/taunting, and high magic regen. Magic is where my shields come from, talons, chains, ranged taunt...things like that. I need my magic pool to be there to reapply shields as I need to, lock down adds with talons, sonon and so forth. Stamina regen isn't really important as you don't regen while blocking, and you'll be blocking quite a bit. As for what glyphs, CP, mundus...that you need to decide. Those are all things to augment where your character is weak...that will become very obvious when you start tanking dungeons.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use:
    2 x Bloodspawn (both heavy, infused head, divines shoulder, gold prismatic enchantment)
    3 x Endurance (robust jewelry, shield play enchantment)
    5 x Willow's Path (heavy infused chest & legs, heavy divines feet, medium divines hands, light divines waist, gold prismatic enchantments)
    2 x Alessia's Bulwark (infused shield gold prismatic enchantment, defending sword crusher enchantment) on both bars

Together with CPs and various passives this setup gives me high resistance, stats and especially stat regeneration. I'm Nord DK, full stamina build. I use either atronach or serpent mundus, depending on situation, either blue health+stamina or health+stamina regeneration food, more rarely health+magicka regeneration food. I can boost either of my regeneration stat to about 2K. Most times it's still stamina, since I want to have maximum regeneration on that, in order to replenish my pool in a shorter time, since I will be blocking for the rest of that time. In scenarios where either perma blocking or high usage rate for utility skills (talons, chains) is needed, I stack magicka regeneration. Spamming ingenous shields can restore some of the stamina when I'm not able to let down the guard or heavy attack. My stats are:
    13.5K magicka | 26.6K health | 27.2-32.5K stamina (depending on buff food)
    0.9-1.9K magicka regeneration (depending on mundus and buff food)
    1.2-2.5K stamina regeneration (depending on mundus, buff food and green dragon blood active)
    Both phisical and magic resistance around 31K warded, about 32.6K with combat prayer active.
    My play style is very aggressive, I'm the exact opposite of the taunt and perma-block tank. I do a lot of attacks (heroic with heavy weave), I aggro, debuff, CC and pull everything together, then drop a standard on top to burn it to cinders. So a high regeneration, flexible build is right for me.

For harder content I will be swapping to:
    5 x Ebon Armory (heavy infused head, divines shoulder, prismatic enchantments, healthy jewelry shield play enchantments)
    5 x Tava's Favor (heavy infused chest & legs, heavy divines feet, medium divines hands, light divines waist, gold prismatic enchantments)
    2 x Alessia's Bulwark (infused shield gold prismatic enchantment, defending sword crusher enchantment) on both bars
    This won't have that much regeneration and I will be relying more on group support. But I will have more health and provide more group utility trough the extra 1K health and will probably be closer to 30K health from Tava's and Ebony bonuses.
    Edited by Asardes on November 2, 2016 10:43AM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Torug's Pact it's an obvious choice for main crafted set - once you obtained your Master Sword, possibly with Infused trait.
    Do not underestimate the healing power of a sword :D .
    Edited by Gargath on November 2, 2016 12:18PM
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • WalksonGraves
    WalksonGraves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gargath wrote: »
    Torug's Pact it's an obvious choice for main crafted set - once you obtained your Master Sword, possibly with Infused trait.
    Do not underestimate the healing power of a sword :D .

Oh boy, those <2k heals sure are worth losing a set bonus. That is what will keep you alive.

Also he is a new character and your advice is the hardest endgame solo rewards which take a million years to get thanks to terrible rng. All that for a worthless sword.
    Edited by WalksonGraves on November 2, 2016 4:13PM
  • bigted209
    bigted209
    ✭✭✭
    Eh, mixed with Knights Errant it's a decent heal 4-5k...but agreed, lightyears beyond the topic of the thread.