The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Rules to dueling

• Curtdogg47
    Curtdogg47
    ✭✭✭✭
    What ever happened to losing with grace?
    Or acknowledging that someone is indeed better than you?
  • threefarms
    threefarms
    ✭✭✭
    I love dueling sorcs with shield breaker.
  • ArgoCye
    ArgoCye
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other than emptying ulti, I cannot see why there needs to be any rules unless it is some sort of formal tournament - and that will have whatever rules the organiser's deem fit. If it is an available skill, if it's an available armor set, if it's an everyday duel, just live with it. Also keep in mind, that other than a bruised ego, there is not downside to death in an ESO duel.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Last night, I was challenged to a duel. After the battle, the player messaged me complaining that I cloaked during the fight. Then, compared it to cheating.

So my question(s) is he right? Is cloaking as a night blade taboo? What other rules are there? Because seems like any skill should be able to be used.

If you agreed beforehand to any unique limitations then violating those is cheating.
    If not, ZOS clearly set it at anything goes and endorsed player gentlemen agreements to handle the slack.

But, in slight contrast to the numerous "goal is to win not impress" responses, it really depends on what you see this as.

Without any prior arrangements, dueling itself is pointless. Win or lose makes no diff. So realky its just cuz you enjoy it.

Its not "win or go home" or "gold on the line" so if you are just doing it for fun, why not respond with "realky? We didnt set thst before. Wsnt to take s moment and redo with that after i swap some?" Why not go for positive results socially? Nothing is on the line or at risk except the interactions between you and thr other guy.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Bone_Demon
    Bone_Demon
    ✭✭✭
    BlackEar wrote: »
    1. You can't wear impenetrable gear.
    2. You must empty all your CP.
    3. No ultimates allowed.
    4. No sorc pets allowed.
    5. No 2H weapon ultimate.
    6. No macros.

7.You have to wear a blindfold irl.
    8.You must turn off your monitor.
    9.You must sacrifice a child for the glory of Sithis.

• Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No hitting your opponent in the face or in the groin.
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Say to them I am a nightblade it's kind of our thing, they could have used caltrops or detect pots or mage light. Next time just say well you are proof we can't please every one.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here is the whole rule list.

1. Win.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Reckquiem
    Reckquiem
    ✭✭
    Any ability you have should be at your disposal really, unless it's a glitch or exploit to do something that wasn't intended. Nightblades use stealth tactics, it's apart of their play style for the most part. Can't deny us that.
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DannyLV702 wrote: »
    I have a lot of stam/meta followers complain that I use daedric mines to LOS with. Is that fair, or not? I mean, considering I'm already gimping myself by dueling as magic
    The meta be shiftin' m8. Can ya feel it yet? ;)

• Tillalarrien
    Tillalarrien
    ✭✭✭
    I got into an argument after a guy I killed in a duel claimed that I shouldt be using crafted potions/poisons while dueling at all and that his opinion of me as good player has now completly shifted.

Now after some argument i desloted all that and we did some more good fights and he came to respect me again and we had some nice dueling rules discussion afterwards.
    This was my main point:

You can have rules to a dueling you obide by and expect others to do as well. But if so TELL THEM BEFORE THE FIGHT! Dont shame and insult people after the fight for not following your undisclosed rules. They are NOT universal knowledge.
    Valkynaz of the Daedric Order
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    out51d3r wrote: »
    Introducing the scrub.

You aren't playing to impress your opponent. You are playing to win. Disregard what he says.

@out51d3r OMG I have been looking for that article again forever, I remember reading it years ago and it really opened my mind to things. Now I live by that when it comes to competitive play.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • out51d3r
    out51d3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    @out51d3r OMG I have been looking for that article again forever, I remember reading it years ago and it really opened my mind to things. Now I live by that when it comes to competitive play.

The entire book is fairly good, and relevant for most any competitive game. TBH, anybody that is playing or designing a game that includes PVP should read it.
  • kessik221
    kessik221
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to take this time to point out something i read in orsinium and i am paraphrasing but basically it says honor is how losers justify losing. If you havnt fought dirty then you aint fightin right.
  • kessik221
    kessik221
    ✭✭✭
    I used to get all these qq'ers going waah waah why you losing me when i use mines. It works both ways, why aint you comin to try and melee me brah? Theres only one rule in dueling: the dead lose the living win.
  • t3hdubzy
    t3hdubzy
    ✭✭✭✭
    You must type /shovel upon winning and proceed to crouch uncrouch inmediately after.

Seriously, rules? Ha
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Rules don't matter at all with random duel request you walk up to me and ask me for a duel I'm not taking poisons off I'm not changing gear so you feel good about ur self and I will damn right drop my ult on you when ever I feel like it.

It's a different story if you ask before the duel let's do this or this to make it fair but not random fights.
  • MakoFore
    MakoFore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats stupid- night blades NEED to cloak- and i m not even a NB as a main. they dont have minor mending, no buff shields, etc- the way they mitigate damage is to cloak. sure its strong and a *** to deal with - but ur opponent has to adapt and slot lights or bombard, mines- counter the skill not *** and moan. u cloak to ur hearts content buddy!
  • ArgonianAustin
    ArgonianAustin
    ✭✭✭
    Just started a duel with a sorc and after I cloaked he forfeit and insulted me, I run bone pirate tatters and have 1400 magicka recovery, I don't want to ruin my build by unslotting the night blades best skill.
    Just a Lizard Man that plays ESO with my twin brother khajiit_kyle
  • bowmanz607
    bowmanz607
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    haha how dare you use class skills. tell them you wont cloak if they dont use shields or bol or crit surge or talons.

haha.

people are dumb. Tell them to learn to counter you. haha good grief.
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just started a duel with a sorc and after I cloaked he forfeit and insulted me, I run bone pirate tatters and have 1400 magicka recovery, I don't want to ruin my build by unslotting the night blades best skill.

I can kind of understand him quitting if he didn't think he had a counter to cloak, but to insult you for using a class skill is ridiculous. Some people just need to work on their skills, and if he didn't have a stealth counter it's his own fault. No reason for him to get salty about it
  • Rickter
    Rickter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is a good list. everyone wants a clean fight. and things that can tip that perception shouldnt be allowed. this is 1v1 afterall and its not like you must build for healing debuff or whatever because your group fights outnumbered a lot.
    This is by no means an "official" list and I obviously have no power over any of you, just saying what I've seen usually be banned in duels and tournaments (I've been dueling since launch through Legend):
    • 2pc Malubeth. Banned because it can artificially lengthen fights, and a lucky proc can save somebody's life. Seen in a similar light to other "cancer proc sets" like Tremorscale and Viper in that it takes away a significant amount of skill away from the fight and encourages players to rely on procs.
    • 2pc Tremorscale and 5pc Viper. Running both at the same time is seen as bad as it encourages players to rely on procs and not worry about actually damaging players with their own skills. Some also refuse to fight people that run Velidreth and Viper.
    • Immovable potions. A huge part of dueling is setting up burst after a CC, and knowing how to prevent getting CCed before getting bursted. Immovable pots turn a critical element of dueling into "press Q" and is seen as unskillful.
    • Resource poisons. Poisons that increase magicka and/or stamina costs of your target by 60% are so above and beyond powerful that anybody not using them might as well be shooting themselves in the foot. Banned as they lack proper counterplay (the only class well equipped to deal with them is Templar), reduce build variety (again, only Templars can really deal with them) and are generally unfun to fight against.
    • 5pc Fasalla's Guille. Like resource poisons, this 5pc is so strong that everybody, magicka and stamina, should be running it. Banned because it reduces build variety.
    • 5pc Shield Breaker. Very hard counter to magic sorcs and everybody else whose main source of defense is a shield. Banned because it's unfun to play against, and reduces build variety (why would I bring a magic sorc to a tourney where Shield Breaker is allowed?)

why isnt spriggan on this list?
    Edited by Rickter on March 2, 2017 5:07PM
    RickterESO
    PC | NA | DC
    YouTube
    Bloodletter | StamDK | Alliance Rank 46 | Former Emperor of Shor (2018) | Former Emperor of Thornblade #4terms (2015)
    PvE:
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMA | vDSA | vMoL | ALL Vet 4 Man Dungeons

• Desmes
    Desmes
    Last night, I was challenged to a duel. After the battle, the player messaged me complaining that I cloaked during the fight. Then, compared it to cheating.

So my question(s) is he right? Is cloaking as a night blade taboo? What other rules are there? Because seems like any skill should be able to be used.

As I see there are no rules. As long as game allows, you can use it. You want to make rules, gather your friend or guild make rules and play with those rules. This is like CS 1.5 all over again- game has shields, you are not allowed use shield. Game has shotguns, you are not allowed use it, game has boxes, you are not allowed to reload behind them.
  • Jynxe
    Jynxe
    ✭✭
    I don't care what they use but I will do everything to kill them and not give a flip after wards.
  • TheBonesXXX
    TheBonesXXX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    duelings good for testin a rotation, other than that rules for children.
  • GrigorijMalahevich
    GrigorijMalahevich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If someone challenges you to a duel and then complain about what you use, they need to get gud.

I personally don't care about rules, use dk wings, use stealth, use viper and thremor, shieldbreaker, cost poisons - don't care, let's do this. Duel = training.

You need to duel any build that you can encounter in Cyro open world. Duel is like training, whats the point to train against builds that you will never fight in Cyro...

Tournament is a totally different story and you can have rules and stuff.

Just IMHO.
    PC/EU 800 CP.
    PvP MagSorc.
    Pedro Gonzales - Mag Sorc EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/CB6j6
    Valera Progib - Stam Sorc DC vMA Flawless Conqueror clear https://i.imgur.com/eYgpXG2.png
    Valera Pozhar - Mag DK EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/jrsuK
    Valera Podlechi - Mag Templar AD vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/N0BYq
  • grim_tactics
    grim_tactics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To the OP - I've tried following the "rules" of dueling but I quit.

I didn't use ulti or poisons but you better believe most people do so now I spam everything I can.
  • Kitty_Quietly
    Kitty_Quietly
    ✭✭✭
    When I started playing (a couple months ago I think), I viewed duelling as fun between mission or off time stuff. I still do. I never take any of it too seriously. I lose almost always, but I have one character that accepts most matches when approached. I never even thought about rules. So yeah, I agree with the posters above that methods are different from player to player and impossable to mind read before the match. The unpredictability is often the best fun.

My opinion on this funny after match rule change: Losing doesn't bother me and wining shouldn't bother you.

• Ghost-Shot
    Ghost-Shot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The player imposed rules are mostly dumb. The exceptions being tournaments that set rule to avoid never ending fights like sorc v sorc only being allowed one shield or only one proc set. And poisons, if you duel with poisons you are bad.
    Edited by Ghost-Shot on June 5, 2017 6:15PM
  • MrBM
    MrBM
    ✭✭
    To be honest the only thing that should not be used in dueling is MINES. If you can not duel without them on one of the most bursty classes if not the most then you shoudn't duel at all. I shouldn't have to have to run around mines or avoid them and try to fight you when you already are using 2 to 3 shields that are still really strong. Lets not even mention the new OP curse lol. No good sorc needs mines to duel. Mines are situational and good for 1vX and farming places. They are not ment for duel in my opinion. And Cloak well who cares. have some sort of AOE or something that you can bring them out of cloak with, its as easy as that.
    PC/Xbox NA

PC Guild: Imperator Rebellium (IR)
    Nexus (NX)

Xbox Guild: Guildmaster of Pug Rebellium

EP Dark Elf Nightblade: Mr BM
    EP Imperial Nightblade: 'Ichigo Kurosaki
    EP Lizard lolz Templar: 'Minori
    EP Orc Dragonknight: Get Lept Upon
    EP Wood Elf Nightblade: 'Sode no Shirayuki
    EP High Elf Sorc: Bolts for Pugs
    EP Dark Elf Dragonknight: Whip of Dreams
    EP Imperial Sorc: i Saber i