The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Rules to dueling

imnotanother
imnotanother
✭✭✭✭✭
Last night, I was challenged to a duel. After the battle, the player messaged me complaining that I cloaked during the fight. Then, compared it to cheating.

So my question(s) is he right? Is cloaking as a night blade taboo? What other rules are there? Because seems like any skill should be able to be used.
PS4: NA - AD PSN: imnotanother (Artell Lyeselle)
Stamina NightBlade 810+ CP - PvP/Trials/Dungeon Ready
  • zuto40
    zuto40
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As of right now there are 0 official rules, but many players will make up some rule to ban something they cant deal with like sorc mines or cloak
    Stamblade- Legate
    Tank/Heals Templar- Sergeant
    Magic DK- Corporal
    Stam DK- Sergeant
    Stamplar- Corporal

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy8uqORxhlrMh8oz2230s9g
  • kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think everyone has different opinions on what should be allowed in a duel, I think before the duel these things should be discussed, Cloaking is a NB tactic in cyrodiil, but in dueling not so sure, I can see it either way, it is shame they even put dueling in the game at this point with so many cheaters and broken exploitable armor sets and weapons, throw the cheat engine in there and we have a recipe for a dueling disaster.

I would not consider using a class ability as cheating unless you are knowingly exploiting a broken ability.
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have piercing mark for a reason. He's just making an excuse for his loss. Cloaking of allowed in a duel.
  • Skayaq
    Skayaq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All skills are allowed in duels, anyone who tries to claim otherwise is making excuses for a loss.
    Kazari-Dar, Khajiit Nightblade..........Jarkyr Storm-Blade, Nord Sorcerer .......... Dunric Amedain, Breton Templar

Araniwen, Altmer Sorcerer..................Llirasa Andralu, Dunmer Templar...................Marzug gro-Borgaz, Orc Warden

Calinchel, Bosmer Warden...................Jahrel-Xei, Argonian Nightblade....................Cienri Maraeud, Breton Sorcerer

Inara Savicci, Imperial Templar...................Garoric Attilus, Imperial Dragonknight............ Maevina Tallian, Imperial Nightblade

Ravanni-Ko, Khajiit Dragonknight..........Faevyn Ice-Heart, Nord Warden..........Nazran al-Taneth, Redguard Dragonknight
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are certain things like emptying ult before start and such.

Certain sets are banned in most tourney's e.g. Malubeth

Imov pots are banned as well.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ totally. There are no rules. People may have dialled for years and have established fight club rules, but that's up to them. They should make a league and declare it. Otherwise everything is free game unless the engine sets it otherwise like a dumping Ultimate option. Honestly, sod em ;)
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am not an expert when it comes to PvP but everytime I go to a place where people are dueling , I hear these :

You can't use Ritual if Templar . You can't use cloak if Nightblade . You can't use Talons if DK . You can't use mines if Sorcerer . You can't use Black Rose . You can't use Fasalla . You can't use Viper . You can't use animation cancelling . You can't use Hurricane . You can't use Scales . You can't use line of sight . You can't use Shield Breaker . You can't use Tremorscale . You can't use Malubeth . You can't use Immovable potions . You can't use Incap Strike . You can't use Dawnbreaker of Smiting . You can't use Reverb Bash . You can't use Vitality potions .

I think that is all . Oh , nearly forgot ^^ You can't be a Templar . That is just wrong .

*eats popcorn*
  • MUSTACHMAN654
    MUSTACHMAN654
    ✭✭
    I, and many other players believe that no ability is cheating. You were fighting well and won that match fair and square. Nobody should not discourage you due to you using the moves that the game rendered you to obtain. That person was just a bad sport.
  • BlackEar
    BlackEar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. You can't wear impenetrable gear.
    2. You must empty all your CP.
    3. No ultimates allowed.
    4. No sorc pets allowed.
    5. No 2H weapon ultimate.
    6. No macros.
    Bjorn Blackbear - Master Angler - Collector - Black Market Mogul - Ebonheart Pact - Exterminatus - EU.

Achievement hunter:

Visit my profile page to find out about which achievement I am currently hunting.

Check out Anemonean's thieving guide!
  • Mush55
    Mush55
    ✭✭✭✭
    Liofa wrote: »
    I am not an expert when it comes to PvP but everytime I go to a place where people are dueling , I hear these :

You can't use Ritual if Templar . You can't use cloak if Nightblade . You can't use Talons if DK . You can't use mines if Sorcerer . You can't use Black Rose . You can't use Fasalla . You can't use Viper . You can't use animation cancelling . You can't use Hurricane . You can't use Scales . You can't use line of sight . You can't use Shield Breaker . You can't use Tremorscale . You can't use Malubeth . You can't use Immovable potions . You can't use Incap Strike . You can't use Dawnbreaker of Smiting . You can't use Reverb Bash . You can't use Vitality potions .

I think that is all . Oh , nearly forgot ^^ You can't be a Templar . That is just wrong .

*eats popcorn*

Am I allowed to block and use heavy attack ?
  • SaibotLiu
    SaibotLiu
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is why dueling is not real pvp. There are always some arbitrary rules that tryhards want to impose to ensure that theyll have an easier time. If you cant handle no holds barred open world pvp youre not a pvper.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @imnotanother

Cloaking is fair game and everyone except lowbie characters have a counter to the cloak. Just because your competitor was not prepared doesn't make it cheating.

Any if your skills are fair game. Very silly to think some classss should not be able to use their skills.
  • ZOS_JohanaB
    ZOS_JohanaB
    ✭✭✭✭
    We've moved this thread to Dueling.
    Staff Post
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have a lot of stam/meta followers complain that I use daedric mines to LOS with. Is that fair, or not? I mean, considering I'm already gimping myself by dueling as magic
    Edited by DannyLV702 on October 22, 2016 12:17PM
  • Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you win, it's probably because you're an exploiter, macroer, cheater, or you used something forbidden as edicted by the law of the 300 potatoes.
    Use whatever you want.
    PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My opinion, if you fight a random duel, it's the same as if you two encountered one on one in Cyrodiil minus the opening gank attempt. So anything should go.

If you fight in a tourney or join a fight club or any other dueling event, it's the responsibility of those organizing it to let you know the rules and then yours to follow. There is no universal code of etiquette for open world duels though.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • out51d3r
    out51d3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    Introducing the scrub.

You aren't playing to impress your opponent. You are playing to win. Disregard what he says.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    First rule of every game is to know the rules. ZOS made the rules as anything goes, so anything goes.

What someone arbitrarily does with their fight club dueling guild should have no impact on a random unplanned duel.
  • zuto40
    zuto40
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlackEar wrote: »
    1. You can't wear impenetrable gear.
    2. You must empty all your CP.
    3. No ultimates allowed.
    4. No sorc pets allowed.
    5. No 2H weapon ultimate.
    6. No macros.

Horrible rules lol
    Stamblade- Legate
    Tank/Heals Templar- Sergeant
    Magic DK- Corporal
    Stam DK- Sergeant
    Stamplar- Corporal

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy8uqORxhlrMh8oz2230s9g
  • devilsTear
    devilsTear
    ✭✭✭
    How about poisons? I noticed people using them so I started too but then people were complaining about it? Whats the general consensus on that?
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    devilsTear wrote: »
    How about poisons? I noticed people using them so I started too but then people were complaining about it? Whats the general consensus on that?

Resource poisons are banned in all tourneys as well.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Hempyre
    Hempyre
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rules.. lol.

If it's in my toolbag I'm using it.

Them the rules.
  • Ghettokid
    Ghettokid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wont duel if people doesnt play with my rules:
    1.only I am allowed to win
  • FleetwoodSmack
    FleetwoodSmack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People who claim that there are 'rules' are the first to QQ. Tournaments I can understand, being that some things can last forever, however I'm the type of person that likes for their opponent to go all out. Proc sets, potions, poisons, cloak, heals, ACing? If you're able to use it legitly in game, do so. I expect people to make the fight interesting and challenging. Not some watered down sham like some of these people are making it out to be.

Personally, I won't fight in a tournament that has 'rules'. I'm not there to impress anyone, I'm there to win. Or lose. I don't care. But rules in a system in which there are none currently in place? If you can legitly do it/use it in game, it's fair. If people want to whine/QQ about it in tells, they'll just go on my ignore list. Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies!
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    out51d3r wrote: »
    Introducing the scrub.

You aren't playing to impress your opponent. You are playing to win. Disregard what he says.

My new response to the cries of cheap. Good read.
  • Judas Helviaryn
    Judas Helviaryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    People who claim that there are 'rules' are the first to QQ. Tournaments I can understand, being that some things can last forever, however I'm the type of person that likes for their opponent to go all out. Proc sets, potions, poisons, cloak, heals, ACing? If you're able to use it legitly in game, do so. I expect people to make the fight interesting and challenging. Not some watered down sham like some of these people are making it out to be.

Personally, I won't fight in a tournament that has 'rules'. I'm not there to impress anyone, I'm there to win. Or lose. I don't care. But rules in a system in which there are none currently in place? If you can legitly do it/use it in game, it's fair. If people want to whine/QQ about it in tells, they'll just go on my ignore list. Ain't nobody got time for that.
    A hundred times this. If everyone's playing dirty, its a fair fight.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    In a casual duel, do what you want.

In a tourney, follow the rules.

Anyone expecting more courtesy than that has too strong of expectations.

my only real complaints about the in-game dueling system are that initiating a duel should clear all ground effects and buffs until the timer hits zero, refill all resources, and drain ult pool.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • a1i3nz
    a1i3nz
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd generally say no malubeth, no resource poisons, no potions, no proc sets. And that's it. In a perfect world that sounds balancing, but honestly dueling can't be balanced. There's always a build that is counter to yours. Just gotta suck it up.
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is by no means an "official" list and I obviously have no power over any of you, just saying what I've seen usually be banned in duels and tournaments (I've been dueling since launch through Legend):
    • 2pc Malubeth. Banned because it can artificially lengthen fights, and a lucky proc can save somebody's life. Seen in a similar light to other "cancer proc sets" like Tremorscale and Viper in that it takes away a significant amount of skill away from the fight and encourages players to rely on procs.
    • 2pc Tremorscale and 5pc Viper. Running both at the same time is seen as bad as it encourages players to rely on procs and not worry about actually damaging players with their own skills. Some also refuse to fight people that run Velidreth and Viper.
    • Immovable potions. A huge part of dueling is setting up burst after a CC, and knowing how to prevent getting CCed before getting bursted. Immovable pots turn a critical element of dueling into "press Q" and is seen as unskillful.
    • Resource poisons. Poisons that increase magicka and/or stamina costs of your target by 60% are so above and beyond powerful that anybody not using them might as well be shooting themselves in the foot. Banned as they lack proper counterplay (the only class well equipped to deal with them is Templar), reduce build variety (again, only Templars can really deal with them) and are generally unfun to fight against.
    • 5pc Fasalla's Guille. Like resource poisons, this 5pc is so strong that everybody, magicka and stamina, should be running it. Banned because it reduces build variety.
    • 5pc Shield Breaker. Very hard counter to magic sorcs and everybody else whose main source of defense is a shield. Banned because it's unfun to play against, and reduces build variety (why would I bring a magic sorc to a tourney where Shield Breaker is allowed?)
    Edited by arkansas_ESO on October 23, 2016 4:31AM

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • TheVindelator
    TheVindelator
    ✭✭✭
    Rules, if any, need to be discussed BEFORE a duel not AFTER.

Otherwise, you're just playing Calvinball.