The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ZOS - Please Rotate Alchemy Writ Reagents

• Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stevil, if this is how you conduct scientific impartial experiments, heaven help us if you work for Lawrence Livermore labs, the NASA JPL, or MIT :)
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No worries. While i majored in chemistry/math, my career is in life sciences/math.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »
    Ashtaris wrote: »
    I had already bought a stack before I posted so I'm good for the moment. Besides, I have no idea which guild store you use, there are quite a number of them in Tamriel you know :) And the popularity of one ingredient (Columbine, Dragonthorn) has nothing to do with the rarity of the other (Nirnroot).

Oh absolutely. i dont think nirnroot is in demand as much as columbine either.

i posted the nirnroot to test the claims - you know - experiment.

See when this was stated:
    "Stevil, apparently you haven't done much shopping for Nirnroot lately. It's extremely hard to find in the Guild Stores, and guess why? BINGO, you got it! :) And when you do find it, it's going for a damn good rate now."

implication being its not in stores cuz its being bought out as quick as possible for big bucks, i observed the lack of it in stores could be for at least three major reasons:
    1 - As implied its in high demand.
    2 - Currently part of a corner the market scheme by large scale traders.
    3 - its not in demand enough to warrant being put out there and taking up shelf space.

So, simple test... post columbine (known #1 @high price), dragonthorn (some demand #moderate price) and then nirnroot (unknown @moderate price) to the same traders and see how they move.

The other ingredients simply verify the vendors are being visited and purchased from by folks looking for even high dollar reagents. (have not had columbine or dragonthorn last a day yet - so bona fides of the sellers is established enough for me.)

Either 1 or 2 should result in nirnroot sales quickly. if its #3 i am going to lose some listing fees but hey they dragon gold has already done wonders so no worries there.

test still ongoing... will see what happens.

Update

in 11 hours over 80k in additional profits from additional columbine and dragopnthorn sales on the same vendors the nirnroot sits without a nibble.

so, at this point I would conclude the lack of seeing nirnroot in the stores is not evidence of a high demand for it or it fetching even moderate prices and selling quickly.

Still tho, a very profitable experiment.

offer still stands. will gladly trade a hundred nirnroot for say a hundred columbine or a hundred dragonthorn to those who prefer to have their writs not call for mostly nirnroot but to vary between the more useful materials.

YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

"The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had already bought a stack before I posted so I'm good for the moment. Besides, I have no idea which guild store you use, there are quite a number of them in Tamriel you know :) And the popularity of one ingredient (Columbine, Dragonthorn) has nothing to do with the rarity of the other (Nirnroot).

"Stevil, apparently you haven't done much shopping for Nirnroot lately. It's extremely hard to find in the Guild Stores, and guess why? BINGO, you got it! :) And when you do find it, it's going for a damn good rate now."

implication being its not in stores cuz its being bought out as quick as possible for big bucks, i observed the lack of it in stores could be for at least three major reasons:
    3 - its not in demand enough to warrant being put out there and taking up shelf space.

So, simple test... post columbine (known #1 @high price), dragonthorn (some demand #moderate price) and then nirnroot (unknown @moderate price) to the same traders and see how they move.

The other ingredients simply verify the vendors are being visited and purchased from by folks looking for even high dollar reagents. (have not had columbine or dragonthorn last a day yet - so bona fides of the sellers is established enough for me.)

Either 1 or 2 should result in nirnroot sales quickly. if its #3 i am going to lose some listing fees but hey they dragon gold has already done wonders so no worries there.

Update

in 11 hours over 80k in additional profits from additional columbine and dragopnthorn sales on the same vendors the nirnroot sits without a nibble.

so, at this point I would conclude the lack of seeing nirnroot in the stores is not evidence of a high demand for it or it fetching even moderate prices and selling quickly.

offer still stands. will gladly trade a hundred nirnroot for say a hundred columbine or a hundred dragonthorn to those who prefer to have their writs not call for mostly nirnroot but to vary between the more useful materials.
    You are proving nothing regarding to OP. Random flowers in writs are easier to fill with general farming when nirnroot as chokepoint requires special farming. You are digressing.

This last patch has reduced significantly nirnroot availability from nodes. Alchemy writs have no special rewards so i have stopped doing the nirnroot writs. It's more productive to farm generic flower nodes directly.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    helediron wrote: »

Update

You are proving nothing regarding to OP. Random flowers in writs are easier to fill with general farming when nirnroot as chokepoint requires special farming. You are digressing.

This last patch has reduced significantly nirnroot availability from nodes. Alchemy writs have no special rewards so i have stopped doing the nirnroot writs. It's more productive to farm generic flower nodes directly.

my proving was to deal with the later point made that the lack of nirnroot in stores was related to this issue. it wasn't in the Op but amazingly, sometimes, people make claims in discussions that aren't in the OP and equally astounding sometimes people even discuss those. Shocking, i know, but true.

As for me, i continue to run writs and nirnroot ones too. since the typical writs takes a couple minutes at most counting login screens if you do the "make multiple when you get them" and since surveys now at maybe 10% drop have so many mats... i find them profitable esp the nirnroot ones since the root is basically useless to me.

But hey, everyone's time and goals will vary.

I dont do any dedicated harvesting of anything but whatever char i am playing is now practically tripping over nodes of all sorts so mats keep flowing in faster than i can use them.

Since i cant sell the root, writs seem a good monetization of it.

But to each their own.

i just hope ZOS does not change writs so that instead of consuming mostly useless nirnroot they start going after columbine and other more useful ones more consistently. That might drive me to stop those writs, just like the ill conceived increase in equip writ cost stopped me there too.

As for the oh so hard to find root... again my root levels have stayed mostly consistent with daily writ work since 1T.

But i am sure more than a few folks like running around on dedicated harvest runs instead of casual acquisition... all power to them.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

• BergisMacBride
    BergisMacBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy up nirnroot about once per month from guild traders, and do it solely to cover my writ costs. It is the only crafting material I ever purchase regularly from traders. With regular gameplay and harvesting whenever I see it, there is no way I can keep up with the requirements for my alchemy writs.

No biggie though - it's the only thing I really ever use it for anyways. Would be nice if they rotated it with some of the other rarely used reagents or maybe something like alkahest.

@STEVIL - PM me the trader name and location of your nirnroot - I'll certainly purchase it if it is within a reasonable price range of my MasterMerchant addon!
    Edited by BergisMacBride on October 22, 2016 12:55PM
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why can't it be mushrooms instead of nirnroot, ive given up trying to sell them in guild stores, even in the middle of wayrest they just won't shift no matter how cheap I sell them. I dumped two hundred blue entolma on an npc yesterday :D
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why can't it be mushrooms instead of nirnroot, ive given up trying to sell them in guild stores, even in the middle of wayrest they just won't shift no matter how cheap I sell them. I dumped two hundred blue entolma on an npc yesterday :D

Also to @BergisMacBride

Now see, there's ideas worth considering... have it rotate but not between all reagents but between the ones we think suck.

Course, might be one man's suck is another man's meh or even bronze. For example, i like luminous for several of the things i use. One man's "see it all the time" is another man's "never see them why did they remove it?"

That brings us back to one of my suggestions:
    allow a 2-1 sub of any reagent you want for whatever is asked. Could even shift the multiplier as you advance 5-1 at low ranks to 2-1 at rank 50.

That way whatever you dont want, whatever your particular gameplay provides in more abundance than you need, it ALL is useful for feeding writs.

Serves all playstyles and you don't have to ever start looking for apecific ingredients to feed the 3pc writ demand unless your overall harvest vs use is falling short on everything.

And, drum roll, it doesn't inflict the Op preferences on anyone. Everyone who wants cn an keep feeding the nirnroot writ monkey on their back forever. Anyone who WANTS TO can change it up anytime they want to with the two-fer.

Solve the problem by giving everyone a new option to address the issue, not by taking away their current options and forcing one you prefer onto them.

i always get nervous when folks start talking about changing availability or use-demands on everyone else to solve their own issue especially if they oppose a no-takeaway from others just add new option alternative.

Edited by STEVIL on October 22, 2016 3:15PM
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.