The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Gender Specific Items

PrinceOfWorms
PrinceOfWorms
✭✭
I am livid that most of the new style parlor items are gendered. I think its disturbing and disrespectful. I dont like my game playing experience disrupted by this negative bias.
I understand some options being race specific, a breton cant have argonian spines.
I can sympathize with beards being gendered, but it is extended to jewelry, markings, and other equipment.

I request that ESO remove the gender requirement for there Crown Store, and all previously purchased parlor items.
Edited by PrinceOfWorms on October 15, 2016 7:34PM
Yes, such will you be- Queen of every grace. When the last sacramental words are said; and beneath grass and flowers that lovely face moulders among the dead.
Then, O Beloved, whisper to the worm that crawls up to devour you with a kiss that I still guard in memory the dear form of love that comes to this.

Gender Specific Items 144 votes

No gendered items, freedom of gender expression!
61%
nexxus_ESOBigBraggHanokihsBlackSparrowopajstimpy986b14_ESODreamo84WuffyCeruleiTryxusDaftsmallEnodocAlienSlofSighoticAbeilleLumiMilvanDerNachtfalteroddaviGaliranduswilliam19882007 89 votes
Gendered items, I want a limited gender spectrum.
38%
IronsideGilvothArtisNewBlacksmurfVurian97OsteosKendaricDonum-DeiCalculated_RiskAektannStilliantplink3r1WoelerTyinorArundotygyrVandermeerBouldercleaveKelcesPreyfar 55 votes
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only gender-specific items I see in the Crown Store are the eye lashes and the beard. Are there others I've missed?
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Options
  • PrinceOfWorms
    PrinceOfWorms
    ✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    The only gender-specific items I see in the Crown Store are the eye lashes and the beard. Are there others I've missed?

All of the jewelry, facial peircings, and some of the head gear.
    Yes, such will you be- Queen of every grace. When the last sacramental words are said; and beneath grass and flowers that lovely face moulders among the dead.
    Then, O Beloved, whisper to the worm that crawls up to devour you with a kiss that I still guard in memory the dear form of love that comes to this.
    Options
  • Donum-Dei
    Donum-Dei
    ✭✭✭
    I am livid that most of the new style parlor items are gendered. I think its disturbing and disrespectful. I dont like my game playing experience disrupted by this negative bias.

Since when an item being a gender specific is being bias and disturbing? Really, disturbing? By being a gender specific between what is know to be female and male outfits?

Wow.
    Options
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Donum-Dei wrote: »

Since when an item being a gender specific is being bias and disturbing? Really, disturbing? By being a gender specific between what is know to be female and male outfits?

Wow.

They are not talking about outfits, outfits are not gender-locked. They are talking about style parlor stuff like hair styles (the base game ones in the hair styles pack, since the others are not gender-locked) and jewelry. And some of this stuff is worn by npcs of the opposite gender, but are not available to player characters of the same gender as the npc. I am of the opinion that any customization options available to the npcs should be available to our characters too.

And honestly... I can see where OP is coming from. Guess which gender is the only one able to wear the hair style called "Management Material".
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
    Options
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never understood this . Guys can wear wedding dresses but hell no to butterfly eyelashes . You done crossed the line Son .
    Options
  • strikeback1247
    strikeback1247
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do people actually buy that stuff from the crown store?
    P.A.W.S. - Positively Against Wild Sasquatches - NO TO BIGFOOT!
    Options
  • ViscousSummer88
    ViscousSummer88
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree, I was quite disgruntled to see that certain items had been restricted to genders!

With the amount of lore breaking things in the game my question is why?
    Steam Profile | Discord: Oliver#0001 | EU Megaserver: @ViscousSummer88
    Options
  • Ghettokid
    Ghettokid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just hope that someday zos will understand that wedding dress should be "fat male orc"-specific item
    Options
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All jewelry should definitely be available to both sexes.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Options
  • Mivryna
    Mivryna
    ✭✭✭
    Mo' options mo' better. Crossdressing is fun!
    Options
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had the understanding that some items were restricted due to the differences in the shape of the head, IOW to prevent clipping issues.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.

Loremaster’s Archive open for questions!
    Options
  • Bebopgroove
    Bebopgroove
    ✭✭✭
    I understand about maybe the jewelry and facial markings, but not the beards. I play on console (which is generally more obnoxious than pc by leaps and bounds), and I could just see bearded ladies being churned out and flooding into the game zones, just for lols.

So no.
    Options
  • threefarms
    threefarms
    ✭✭✭
    No Bearded Ladies
    Options
  • Ironside
    Ironside
    ✭✭✭
    Please leave your PC brigade .......! out of gaming.
    Options
  • stimpy986b14_ESO
    stimpy986b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I am equally outraged that armors and costumes that are bare chested for males aren't for females!
    Options
  • Kelces
    Kelces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine this...(be careful with your beverage)
    15oy70.jpg
    You reveal yourself best in how you play.

Kelces - Argonian Templar
    Farel Donvu - Dark Elf Sorcerer
    Navam Llervu - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Aniseth - Wood Elf Warden
    Therediel - Wood Elf Templar
    Nilonwy - Wood Elf Nightblade
    Jurupari - Argonian Warden
    Kú-Chulainn - Argonian Sorcerer
    PC - EU
    For the Pact!
    Options
  • Zaldan
    Zaldan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wonder if they're gonna start making the dresses female only? :o
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.
    Niidro tiid wah fusvok dirkah.

aka.@Cuthceol
    Options
  • stimpy986b14_ESO
    stimpy986b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Kelces wrote: »
    Imagine this...(be careful with your beverage)
    15oy70.jpg

We already have this

Sand-Kissed-Salwar-Ensemble-male.jpg
    Options
  • Bookwyrm
    Bookwyrm
    ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely support de-gendering Style Parlor items. I get the race-specific stuff, because certain races have very specific head shapes, but the gender thing is pointless and unnecessary. They haven't gender-locked costumes, why should jewelry, hair styles, tats, etc. be gender-locked?

And personally, I think Sailor Man is beautiful. :blush:
    Don't talk to me! I'm a shrub. - Frozen Man
    Bookwyrm - The Thread Killer
    Options
  • bareheiny
    bareheiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Costumes aren't gender locked, why should other items be?

Tamriel gets flooded with bearded ladies? Eh. If that's what floats your boat, go for it.
    Options
  • DarraghQXZ
    DarraghQXZ
    Soul Shriven
    No it's bade enough with Orcs in wedding dresses.
    Options
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Everything but beards.

One of the male hair is perfect for my female char and a female hair is semy nice on a male but ofc cant have that :/

Whats worse is in the Thieves guild dlc theres a female using the MALE hairstyle I wanted to use on my female :|
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

Options
  • Zeras_Of_Mournhold
    Zeras_Of_Mournhold
    Soul Shriven
    Im totally for making crown store cosmetics and cosmetics in general not gender restricted. After all, we can have our burly nord men wear redguard dresses and dance like a lady. Just as long as certain race specific cosmetics are kept to their race for continuity sake, then i'm totally for it.
    Still grinding away, for that's the thrill and joy of an mmo... of course aside from slaughtering my opponents on the battlefield.
    Options
  • BigBragg
    BigBragg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If my male Orc can wear a wedding dress, he should at least be able to wear some matching earrings.
    Edited by BigBragg on October 30, 2016 5:23AM
    Options
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off, really loaded poll options. I'm not bothered much either way. But if you're going to be so blatantly biased and not even give a reasonable no option then I won't vote.
    I am livid that most of the new style parlor items are gendered. I think its disturbing and disrespectful.

Second, male and female heads don't use the same models. There would be work involved in making hairstyles even work for opposite genders. So being livid, disturbed and disrespected is... entirely your prerogative but seems unwarranted to me.

The Elder Scrolls franchise and ESO in particular are very socially progressive. Gay characters, lots of females in positions of authority, the bosmer flipping gender roles with women being bigger and leaning more towards the physical and men smaller and more towards the spiritual, argonians possibly changing genders. A lore article with multiple wonderful messages about love which fly in the face of 'tradition'. And yeah, men can already wear dresses courtesy of costumes.
    Options
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I want Argonian spikes and fins for my Nord and I want it NOW!
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
    Options
  • Adventurer
    Adventurer
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, I'm all for non-gender locked items, clothes and hairstyles. After all, you would be able to wear it in real life if you chose to, so why not in the game? Esp. since there are dresses available to wear a man already.
    Options
  • pirate3
    pirate3
    ✭✭✭
    I am livid that most of the new style parlor items are gendered. I think its disturbing and disrespectful.

What's disturbing is that anyone should become 'livid' over something as utterly inconsequential as this.

Options
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm honestly surprised at how many people actually care about other players' male characters wearing feminine things and vv lol... especially when it does essentially nothing to the players who decide not to dress like that. it only restricts other players
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
    Options
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand about maybe the jewelry and facial markings, but not the beards. I play on console (which is generally more obnoxious than pc by leaps and bounds), and I could just see bearded ladies being churned out and flooding into the game zones, just for lols.

So no.

I think beards on the "female" model might actually help make a better range of "softer-looking" male characters. Lets face it, in real life there's way less sexual dimorphism than what appears in this game. ZOS did a phenomenal job with customization in general, but there are some edge cases like that which make the game world seem a bit more limited. And the eyelashes thing just doesn't make sense at all.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
    Options