Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why is my sword BLUE???

• Dahveed
    Dahveed
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »

.. I have literally stopped playing. That's how bad it looks.

[/quote]

Did you quit the game cos your Sword was blue? wowzers. Like i've seen Vet MSA push people to the edge, but the rage got you early man. [/quote]

Just to be clear, I didn't permanently stop playing... I just logged off and went to the forums. Didn't make that clear.

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, this thread adds yet more mounting support for weapon dyes ... but ZOS is still in an internal debate about whether weapon dyes can actually be done. Hopefully, the discussion hasn't moved over to the "not in our current plans" round file.

Some lower level weapon dyes (using the base materials) can look quite nice ... such as this hickory restoration staff (level 36; pictured below):

U8Bcqw5.png

Other base materials don't look quite as great ... such as this greenish-black "Coldharbour-esque" color on a yew bow (level 48; pictured below):

AKUKM7y.png
  • Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the alliance motifs take on the color of the materials used (at least for the weapons). Most of my swords and staves are made in Dominion, Pact, or Covenant styles for that reason.
    Edited by Number_51 on September 30, 2016 7:19PM
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Number_51 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the alliance motifs take on the color of the materials used (at least for the weapons). Most of my swords and staves are made in Dominion, Pact, or Covenant styles for that reason.

Good to know :)

And another good reason why we should be able to re-style our gear.
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, why is your sword blue?

Cheer up, little sword. It'll be okay.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pretend you're a hobbit and it's glowing blue cos there's orcs around...
  • Dahveed
    Dahveed
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretend you're a hobbit and it's glowing blue cos there's orcs around...

Ha, hard to pretend I'm a Hobbit when I am a beefy Nord berserker with both height and weight sliders maxed out everywhere :*(

But thanks for the protip.

Also thanks to the person who mentioned that the main alliance motifs don't change color, I'll give that a try. Thanks!
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Number_51 wrote: »

Looking at eso-fashion.com, it kind of looks like the alliance weapons take on a rubedite tint, although it isn't as pronounced as some of the others:
    http://eso-fashion.com/greatsword-comparison-tier-10/

Glass looks like the only style that has zero red tint.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dahveed wrote: »
    meanwhile my nord berserker is running around with a solid blue sword and it looks utterly ridiculous.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

• Annalyse
    Annalyse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I loathe the unrealistic blue and red weapons also. My two characters that use swords at high levels are using Glass style now because it is the only style I have found that creates a natural-looking sword.
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    I just found out that I am not allowed to dye weapons... meanwhile my nord berserker is running around with a solid blue sword and it looks utterly ridiculous.

I tried converting it to Imperial style but it is still solid blue and looks very very dumb.

Can't I just have a sword that looks like a real sword, and not a plastic toy? What is that? How can anyone anywhere in the ZoS art department take this seriously?

It is blue because of it's level. When you get to level cp150 gear, the weapons will be mostly red.

Okay, how about a grey sword... you know, like... a sword-colored sword. Like every sword in the entire history of planet Earth, ever since swords were first invented.

I can't express how much I hate how this looks. I just logged in to go explore for a while and just noticed this. I have literally stopped playing. That's how bad it looks.

Ha I know the feeling, the red weapons look even worse. I use the few weapon pieces that are thankfully properly colored because I can't stand the red, even if it means that I'm much weaker not using red weapons. I won't even craft the weapons that I want because they would be red.
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just fyi, glass and dwemer styles don't seem to obey the default color level scheme. dwemer weapons, no matter the level always seem to look black, and the glass ones all look the same more or less. As to a rougher look you can always get a master sword from VDSA, that looks a lot like a long or broad sword. there is some site called eso fashion, might have previews to help you find what you want.
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • Dahveed
    Dahveed
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just fyi, glass and dwemer styles don't seem to obey the default color level scheme. dwemer weapons, no matter the level always seem to look black, and the glass ones all look the same more or less. As to a rougher look you can always get a master sword from VDSA, that looks a lot like a long or broad sword. there is some site called eso fashion, might have previews to help you find what you want.

Thanks for the info!
  • Valethar
    Valethar
    ✭✭✭✭
    <Gollum>
    Because Orcses!
    </Gollum>
    Resistance is not futile! Say no to the Greed Collective™. Boycott Crown Crates.
  • Coolio_Wolfus
    Coolio_Wolfus
    ✭✭✭
    Can not dye swords due to 1 of the devs believing everyone will run around with pink swords...

The original cadwells pot hat turned golds blue, so why not do this with swords to turn pinks another color...

The alliance mount and pet colors could take their cue form the alliance body or hat if you have them and instead of being as restrictive as now, could be limited to whites (inc greys and blacks) and the color range of that alliance - yellows/blues/reds as you can already sort by color rarity or actual color range, seems simple enough to me...

And if locking colors for an item is difficult, just have those invalid colors have no effect.

Come on ZOS give us dye-able weapons and remove the 1 dev limitation you are self imposing.

Thanks now fix it please.
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just found out that I am not allowed to dye weapons... meanwhile my nord berserker is running around with a solid blue sword and it looks utterly ridiculous.

I tried converting it to Imperial style but it is still solid blue and looks very very dumb.

Can't I just have a sword that looks like a real sword, and not a plastic toy? What is that? How can anyone anywhere in the ZoS art department take this seriously?

It is blue because of it's level. When you get to level cp150 gear, the weapons will be mostly red.

Okay, how about a grey sword... you know, like... a sword-colored sword. Like every sword in the entire history of planet Earth, ever since swords were first invented.

I can't express how much I hate how this looks. I just logged in to go explore for a while and just noticed this. I have literally stopped playing. That's how bad it looks.

a real history buff eh?

the first swords.... that we know of on earth.... were made of bronze so they weren't grey they were. well, bronze.

glad to hear you stopped playing over this.....
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭

a real history buff eh?

the first swords.... that we know of on earth.... were made of bronze so they weren't grey they were. well, bronze.

glad to hear you stopped playing over this.....

Copper even before that actually. Till people figured out how to make alloys copper had a low melting point and could be smelted in wood fires.
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I have heard things can turn blue if not used enough or if you dont get to finish the engagement.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Creepsley
    Creepsley
    ✭✭✭

dont wanna rain on your parade here :P but you were saying what about every sword in the history of planet earth?

503296424e44787800c92f9fd96262c4.jpg
  • BigBragg
    BigBragg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    **WARNING! PEDANTRY AHEAD**

The first swords were most likely knapped flint or obsidian, and looked something like this.
    0497a7bf5d862eed0670b1650d58f8c7.jpg
    cache_944945567.JPG?t=1439754869

Actually... the first thing that could properly be called a sword was probably the jawbone of some animal with sharp teeth...

Anyways, after many mellenium of using swords like that, humans disovered some rocks melt and can be reshaped, and so copper swords became a thing.

(This, but pink)
    img_53_d20131012154848.jpg

Of course copper is a soft metal so swords were not to long.... but sill

Then someone found that if you mixed another weak metal, tin, with copper, you would get a much stronger alloy. And so these swords were a thing. (Bronze by the way)

limehouse_sword_8_dec_2007_1.jpg
    weapons10.jpg

Then iron was a thing.... but pictures of drab gray metal swords are boring....

So then we got to steel!

Which is also boring, so...

Demascus steel! The most valuable steel of the middle ages!

DSC012481.jpg

(Yes I am cherrypicking pictures)

Anyways, heres sword colors from a previous game in the franchise.

3b875ef7e46b343009dfd765b9ca3df830f60480_large.jpg

Also , the color of steel can easily be changed depending on how you temper it.

300px-Tempering_standards_used_in_blacksmithing.JPG

/pedantry over.
    Edited by Shunravi on March 15, 2017 9:57PM
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    A year from now, when they raise the gear cap to 180-200 CP, the wailing of those complaining about their lost farming days there will be joined by those complaining about the color of their new gear :)

Nope, there will be silence. After One Tamriel, it's not about farming and upgrading one set, but rather a huge spectrum of sets.

Of course, they will probably add a 500 crown equipment upgrade to the crates sold in the Crown store...
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
  • BadLuckCharm
    BadLuckCharm
    ✭✭✭
    Lunerdog wrote: »
    Hmmm, I'm kind of worried about what colour the mats are going to be for the next range of gear when the level cap gets raised.

This bright red muck is bad enough, but what on Nirn are Zenimankyweoponpants gonna troll us with next ???

Rosewood, Rosium, and Rosic Leather.

Everything pink! :s
  • Kidz_BeAstx
    Kidz_BeAstx
    ✭✭
    I was triggered by this. I like my katana when it is white, and then when I know that I will have to make it golden, it just looks lame.
  • Sadistic_Savior

If you get weapons made from high level motifs, you will not have your weapons tied to level-based materials like that.

For example, if I made you a sword from the Daggerfall Covenant motif, it would look exactly the same at level 1 as it does at Champion 160...the level and material does not affect the look at all. I make these for my alts specifically for that purpose...so I have classy looking high level gear even on level 1 characters.

Lower tier motifs will have their look vary depending on the level (and material associated with that level). And there is no way to change it. You will either have to learn/acquire higher level motifs and make them yourself, or buy them from a guild. If you are that high in level, the cost to buy weapons with the motifs should be pretty trivial.

• Shewolf075
    Shewolf075
    ✭✭✭
    Let us dye our weapons with a limited ranged of colours suitable to the lore, so we aren't walking around with lightsabers or overly red weapons. That is my suggestion. Thank you ZoS.
  • BigBragg
    BigBragg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

If you get weapons made from high level motifs, you will not have your weapons tied to level-based materials like that.

For example, if I made you a sword from the Daggerfall Covenant motif, it would look exactly the same at level 1 as it does at Champion 160...the level and material does not affect the look at all. I make these for my alts specifically for that purpose...so I have classy looking high level gear even on level 1 characters.

Lower tier motifs will have their look vary depending on the level (and material associated with that level). And there is no way to change it. You will either have to learn/acquire higher level motifs and make them yourself, or buy them from a guild. If you are that high in level, the cost to buy weapons with the motifs should be pretty trivial.

This is mostly an incorrect statement. There are a few high level motifs that alter the look enough to hide the material, like the factions and glass to some extent. However the vast majority still showcase the material tier. You can always check eso-fashion.com to see photos of specific pieces in different teirs.
    Edited by BigBragg on March 15, 2017 5:37PM
  • AlwaysOnFire
    AlwaysOnFire
    ✭✭✭✭
    if people are allowed to dye their clothes that eye-burning Blademaster's Mauve, pink swords should be no big deal.
  • Sadistic_Savior
    BigBragg wrote: »
    This is mostly an incorrect statement. There are a few high level motifs that alter the look enough to hide the material, like the factions and glass to some extent. However the vast majority still showcase the material tier. You can always check eso-fashion.com to see photos of specific pieces in different teirs.

If he wants a gray sword, I can make him a gray sword, out of any level material. And from more than one motif.

I have most of the high level motifs...I use them on my characters all the time. And the look is consistent...anything where you have to buy the motif in pieces (as opposed to all-in-one motifs, like Deadric or Ancient Elf or Imperial) will usually have a consistent look independent of the material for the level.

http://eso.mmo-fashion.com/dark-brotherhood/
    http://eso.mmo-fashion.com/dro-m-athra/
    http://eso.mmo-fashion.com/minotaur/
    http://eso.mmo-fashion.com/ebony/
    http://eso.mmo-fashion.com/hollowjack/
    http://eso.mmo-fashion.com/daggerfall-covenant/
    http://eso.mmo-fashion.com/outlaw/

ect....that is not a comprehensive list. There are more than a "few"...I would say probably half the motifs in the game are like this. Those motifs will look the same regardless of material used.

I can actually sympathize with him, because I feel the same way. It's the main reason I made crafting a priority when I started playing years ago...I wanted to be able to make my own gear.