Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should I Be Saving Survey Maps?

nine9six
nine9six
✭✭✭✭✭
Usually, I dig up this kind of information for myself but these past few weeks, and the next two or so weeks, have kept me so busy and 'out of it'.

With the upcoming change to Crafting Survey Maps would I be better off to burn through the Survey Maps I have now (Wrothgar) or wait for the One Tamriel patch?

Thanks in advance!
Edited by nine9six on September 28, 2016 2:56PM
Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...

Best Answer

• I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The latest patch notes I saw said surveys would become less common but deliver twice as much.

In which case it makes sense to save them.
    Answer ✓
  • nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks!
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can stack the crafting surveys? I thought once you open a bag and receive one, you cannot get additional ones of the same type until you use the survey.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    You can stack the crafting surveys? I thought once you open a bag and receive one, you cannot get additional ones of the same type until you use the survey.

In the next update they stack. So just another week till they stack making banking easy.

Until then just keep the bags holding the lone surveys. Eats up inventory.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will stack after the patch. On live you need to just hold them in theirs crates (which do not, and I'm guessing will not stack).

Need the update soon... filling up my inventories on three characters fast.

To the original question, yes, I'd hold them. The way I see it is that they basically double in value after the patch.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EDIT It appears that the legacy maps still work under the new system

Since the new surveys are supposed to be one per zone, and the current maps are one of three locations per zone, makes me wonder if we get a map for a place that is no longer a survey location, will we have a Survey there if we use the Map.
    Edited by Nestor on September 28, 2016 5:26PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Since the new surveys are supposed to be one per zone, and the current maps are one of three locations per zone, makes me wonder if we get a map for a place that is no longer a survey location, will we have a Survey there if we use the Map.

Oh, that I had not heard. Now I'm wondering if I should use them up or risk having all value evaporate. Surely they'd item swap new surveys for old... wouldn't they... ?
  • Darlon
    Darlon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Number_51 wrote: »

Oh, that I had not heard. Now I'm wondering if I should use them up or risk having all value evaporate. Surely they'd item swap new surveys for old... wouldn't they... ?

The ones that I had in my inventory after the Eu character copy worked fine on the Pts
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Number_51

I just remember seeing something saying there was one survey location per zone now, but I have not found that reference again. I might be able to test this on the PTS if the character copy is still there and I have some writ containers on them.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darlon wrote: »

The ones that I had in my inventory after the Eu character copy worked fine on the Pts

@Darlon

Thanks, that is good to know. I might be on the Templates now since the EU PTS has the character copy.

• nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for the information. As it sits, all 12 of my Toons have all of the Maps on them, along with way too many 'Crates' to count.

I'll continue holding onto these until the Patch.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So, ok it seems the following are worth considering:
    • After the patch surveys will drop double what they do now but will be rare but for some when they dont get surveys they will get 25pc booster packs of lower mats.
    • After the patch, certain mats gained from certain surveys may be worth less on the open market due to everyone harvesting anytime everywhere at mat types appropriate to their character - may create glut of tier-10 and tier-1 for instance and may reduce overall demand since even drops for deconn will scale
    • Exactly how surveys that exist now will be handled is at least uncertain.

My assessment is that if its for selling purposes, the safer bet is to use now sell now tho not necessarily for all things - the non-scaling elements like reagents likely wont see a market change.

if its for use OR for selling but you are Ok with risk... saving them is a reasonable position.

For me, i am pretty flush, dont need any major cash influx etc so i am in the hold 'em and wait and see mode. Will just be glad to see inventory slots freed up after the patch.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, that's the boat I'm in. I don't need the Gold, I just like to be able to 'float' my Writs with the Mats I get back, or as close to it as I can. Backpack Space isn't an issue, either.

I appreciate all the information everyone!