The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

ZOS Claims to Use "Hard Data" for Balancing

Thelon
Thelon
✭✭✭✭✭
Feedback from everyone is one very important part, but we also look at hard data and how a change would affect every other part of the game.

Honestly Gina, I've enjoyed many conversations with you and various Devs since Beta. But the claim that you're using "hard data" to determine the affects of various changes is laughable considering the current state of your game.

What hard data did you examine when balancing the CP system? Do passives like unchained look balanced to you?

What hard data did you examine when implementing Battle Spirit, especially in relation to class defining skills like Dragon Blood?

What hard data did you use when implementing a no CP campaign? Did you adjust Streak / Dodge penalties to compensate for 0 CP PvP?

What hard data did you use when implementing crutch sets like Shield breaker? Did you adjust this set after nerfing sorc shields?

What hard data did you use when setting shield duration at 6 seconds? Are your matrices showing an acceptable number of MagSorcs in Cyrodiil?

What hard data did you use when implementing proc sets like Valendrith and Viper? Do you feel these sets increase or decrease the importance of player skill in ESO?

What hard data did you use when buffing heavy armor? If your data is reliable and / or your ability to interpret this data is satisfactory, why are HA sets like Black Rose so popular among damage dealers?

What hard data did you use when buffing Soul Assault? Is another long-range, undodgeable beam encouraging or discouraging smart counter-play in ESO's PvP?

What hard data did you use that allowed gap closers to exist in their current state? Has banning players for using a mechanic you developed helped to address the underlying mechanical issues?

What hard data did you use to balance Masters and Maelstrom weapons for Magicka and Stamina users? Do you feel that Magicka users benefit from their vMA weapons as much as Stamina users do from theirs?

What hard data did you use when deciding that multiple poisons should apply on one person? Do you feel zerglings need additional advantages to be successful in 20 v 2 situations?

What hard data did you use when implementing Rally and Vigour? Do you feel stam builds need a burst heal from their offensive weapon (Rally) and a passive heal (Vigour) whose ticks surpasses a DKs burst heal?

What hard data did you use when deciding that Bound Armor would remain a toggle? That Storm Atronach would be the only Atronach in the game that can be CC'd?

What hard data did you reference that led you to decide that Streak should be the only CLASS DEFINING SKILL in the game that punishes the user for casting it more than once? Why is the same not true for other class defining skills like cloak, BoL and Wings?

I hope you understand why the community might have a tough time understanding your use of "hard data." The current state of ESO leads me to believe that either:

a) you don't use hard data, or
b) you do use hard data, but lack the competence to use it effectively, or
c) you do use hard data and have the competence to use it effectively, but lack the monetary incentive to do so

"Men are more important than tools. If you don't believe so, put a good tool into the hands of a poor workman."
- John J. Bernet

• Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could not find a thing that I would disagree with..... Well said :)
    Edited by Robbmrp on September 14, 2016 7:33PM
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Ferrofluid
    Ferrofluid
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh I feel that the shield nerf actually made shield breaker easier for me to deal with - I don't have to wait 20 seconds for my shield to go down as they machine gun me with their bow

edited: for typos
    Edited by Ferrofluid on September 14, 2016 7:55PM
    a.k.a. Aps
  • DivinityDay
    DivinityDay
    ✭✭✭
    Poetry.
    @AmariaNaria's chars:
    NA - PC
    Divinity Day Sorc DPS - AD
    Amaria Day DK TANK - AD WW
    Talia Shade NB BOW/DW - AD WW
    Amaria Naria NB 2H/DW - AD WW
    Kali Day Magplar - AD VAMP
    Dekaria Bombblade AD

• DODHitman
    DODHitman
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome and well said!
    Eager' Skeaver
    AD-NA/PC | HighElf Sorc. V16 - Magicka Sorc 4Life!
    Guilds: Fantasia - ETU
    R.I.P. Dominion Mafia

Two rules to live by:
    Stay on Crown - Stay out of the Red
  • coolermh
    coolermh
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed!
    -MrHeid625
    Max Chars:
    Magika Sorc AD
    Stamina NB AD
    Stam DK AD
    Magika NB-
    Magika Temp-
    Stam Warden
    Stam Sorc
    Mag Warden
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reading the responses to what amounts an articulate rage post reminds of wizards first rule.
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thelon wrote: »
    Feedback from everyone is one very important part, but we also look at hard data and how a change would affect every other part of the game.
    What hard data did you use to balance Masters and Maelstrom weapons for Magicka and Stamina users? Do you feel that Magicka users benefit from their vMA weapons as much as Stamina users do from theirs?
    Maelstrom DW are just obscenely overpowered, and even people who use them on a regular basis will agree. With DOT builds, VMA sharpened/precise can add 10K+ do your DPS with a decent rotation. No other weapons can do that. None.

Don't get me wrong, I like the raw power that they provide, but freely admit the DPS provided by DW Maelstrom is obscene compared to that of any other VMA weapon.
  • xellink
    xellink
    ✭✭✭
    I think she meant...

"We implement to create hard data, then make minor adjustments from there."

That said....

No CP campaign is requested by popular demand. Many players rather it be rolled out buggy than be delayed for 6 months. This allows easier adjustment and a faster way to reach the end-goal.

just half a year ago HA was literally useless. Placing one very powerful HA... is probably more experimental than for balancing. Every item is overpowered when its new and shiny. After which it gets its nerf bat.

Magsorcs aren't too bad... at one point everyone was a nightblade.

Shieldbreaker... well u did not compliment them for nerfing sorc shields... decrease population of sorc shields = decrease use of shieldbreaker = may not be useful in the current metagame? No reason to nerf it.

6 months ago soul assault was not very popular.

As for gap closers... i think its probably spaghetti code which requires a lot of developer time and investment to correct.

multiple poisons apply on one person = Experimental. -> they probably said lets add it and see what happens

Punishing streak i believe is to limit lightning animations in cyro. Cyro was a hellhole when imperial city first came out.

as to VMA weapons being OP is because.... it encourages players to buy their most expensive DLC.

Its far cheaper to be reactive than proactive. New game features can also be released quicker that way.
    Edited by xellink on September 14, 2016 8:53PM
  • Grymmoire
    Grymmoire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hard data to make decisions?

2rpzpeq.jpg
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want ZOS and the game to be successful, so much this... and a million other things.

*shakes head*

Not the first game I've seen severely impacted by the decisions of some of it's development team. A purge/correction has to happen, eventually.
  • RoamingRiverElk
    RoamingRiverElk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent list. (Though I can't agree re: wings)
    Dalris Aalr - Magicka (Stamina) DK | Dalfish - Magicka Sorc | Dal Aalr - Magicka Warden | Dalrish - Mag/Stam NB | Irana Aalr - PvE Templar
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What ever system they are using to perceive the actual state of the game is either broken or vastly incomplete. The game they perceive and apply their design choices too isn't the game we are playing. At any rate, hard data should assist a conclusion not provide it.
    Edited by Armitas on September 14, 2016 9:26PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    acw37162 wrote: »
    articulate rage post
    1am510.gif
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The hard data when zos decided the average player pvp's for like an hour a day? Or was it a week?

Pretty basic to exclude the anomaly's in a data and those level 12's who run out once then afk for 40 mins before logging off shouldn't count towards data.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Kas
    Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    imho their "hard data" consist over averages over players, no normalized by online time.
    thus, whereas we, as players, see a lot of those that spend much time in the game, their "data" suggest what thousand of not-actually-eso-players do when they log in once a week through steam or their consule ui.
    it's the only way all of their decisions make sense. they are slow to follow trends but they do so eventually - just like casual gamers.

there are still masses of mag nb's motivated by TG zerg bombing videos, there are still tons of magicka sorcs (because it's such an obvious archetype). it's just that those don't play the game as much because of how little success they have.... buit if you lvoe to look at non-discounted averages, those count just as much as your friendly 11m AP per campaign no-lifer
    @bbu - AD/EU
    Kasiia - Templar (AR46)
    Kasiir Aberion - Sorc (AR38)
    Dr Kastafari - Warden (~AR31)
    + many others
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually there is nearly nobody ever pvping. Its not like there were thousands of people roaming cyrodiil every day. Its more like some hundred. And half of them are there every day.

This games pvp is dead and buried.
    PC EU - Ebonheart Pact - Gray Host - Death Recap -#zergfarming -
  • Humatiel
    Humatiel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I suspect that the hard data they are using is from total number of players per X days. Say if a player logs in once per month they are included in the hard data poll. That is where we are seeing the somewhat fantastical statements from ZoS.
    VMA | vHRC-HM | vAA-HM | vSO-HM | vMOL-HM
    700+ CP
    GM of Luxury Raids
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a Star Trek next generation joke just begging to be a meme but would be most inappropriate .
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "HARD DATA" lol

In an inherently non-linear environment like an MMO (and this MMO particularly, with it's complex systems intertwined) using "hard data" without a model serves no purpose.

And a model based on the wrong assumptions, or even on the wrong understanding, is worse than using your brains and common sense.

That's the problem with this current "google generation" that thinks that data crunching trumps over thinking and understanding :neutral: Yeah! Let's rule the world by the means of excel spreadsheets! :D
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • Mr_Nobody
    Mr_Nobody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The guys lack "balls" to communicate the problems within their deps looks like. They can not be that blind and not see certain issues going on and do nothing about it. Or they are, which would be sad. But claims about using hard data to determine certain things is laughable.

I wonder when the patch Elder Stamina Online is coming out.
    ~ @Niekas ~

• Majic
    Majic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess there's more than one way to interpret hard data.
    Epopt Of The Everspinning Logo, Church Of The Eternal Loading Screen
    And verily, verily, spaketh the Lord: "Error <<1>>"
  • SleepyTroll
    SleepyTroll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Hard data" like most people to them don't use weapon enchants lol
    They pool everyone together from a lvl 1- cp 3600 and they got from their data that most people don't use weapon enchants.
    That is the kinda of data that brings balancing to this game. Hence why poisons are the way they are because of the data above.
  • magnusthorek
    magnusthorek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very well written. I'd like to be like you when I grow up.
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian, I've studied species Turian, Asari, and Batarian.
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology) because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology).
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian, I am the very model of a Scientist Salarian.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
  • SanTii.92
    SanTii.92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Current state of game's balance is not nearly as close as catastrophic as you say.

Yes, I agree on some of your points, and tuning is definitely needed but balance is as good as ever was.
    When the snows fall and the white winds blow,
    the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives.

Arg | Pc Na | Factionless Mag Warden.
  • Funkopotamus
    Funkopotamus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    acw37162 wrote: »
    Reading the responses to what amounts an articulate rage post reminds of wizards first rule.

Easy Zed..

Or you might be falling into the third rule :)

Toasted Toad Truth!

Yes the DEV's for ZOS have always made knee jerk reactions when it comes to nerfs and have went overboard with things on the CP design.. It is their own fault though.. CP system looked great on paper, but tossing this onto a game that was halfway built in the first place was the biggest mistake.

The only way that I would buy the whole "Hard Data" line about CP's is if they would have waited longer until the game was balanced as best as could be BEFORE ADDING an entire new leveling system ontop of the original.,.....
    Edited by Funkopotamus on September 14, 2016 11:29PM
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!" Sallington
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SanTii.92 wrote: »
    Current state of game's balance is not nearly as close as catastrophic as you say.

Yes, I agree on some of your points, and tuning is definitely needed but balance is as good as ever was.

Actually the current state of the game's balance, does near catastrophic failures. I remind you of the other MMOs communities that was in denial going through this. Phase of catastrophic balancing issues.

Rift
    DCUO
    D&D Neverwinter
    GW2
    NA/EU's BDO
    NA/EU's BnS

Those are just the MMO I witness go down this road. Which ended in ALL of them losing their communities. The servers in those MMOs are barely being kept up and running off of huge Pay to Win micro transactions models. Let me tell you something. I watched all of these MMO lose their communities, just over huge balancing issues. You know the ones that are getting worst and worst by the patch in ESO.

I am willing to bet that anyone with extensive MMO experience as a player will tell you. If ZOS do not correct it's balance issues soon. And allow the balancing issues to get worst. It will also become a MMO who's servers are only being kept alive by. Huge Pay to Win micro transaction models. Because of the lack of players. That's best case scenario. Worst case is that, they just pull the plug.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ****'n mint
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's always about the money
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • nk125x
    nk125x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with OP - Current meta is all about the sets not the player skill
This discussion has been closed.