The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

So Glad I Researched 9 Traits On Everything and Learned All The Style Motifs... NOT

HighT3chR3dn3ck
HighT3chR3dn3ck
✭✭✭
Seriously, I feel like I wasted (well more so than usual) in researching everything and learning all the Style Motifs.

1. Monster Armor - The helmet and shoulder pieces, which is the most noticeable style is completely negated by monster armor. No one uses crafted shoulder and helmets anymore.

2. New Armor Sets - I used to get messages all the time people asking me to craft for them. Since the Thieves Guild update, I think I've crafted twice for someone.

3. New Craftable Armor - Why is there DLC armor that IS NOT 9 trait research? All DLC armor should be 9 trait research. Why did I research 9 traits?

I am glad I can craft twice born, but I don't see much use for it anymore and even less in the future.
  • HighT3chR3dn3ck
    HighT3chR3dn3ck
    ✭✭✭
    A great step forward for crafters would be two allow to slots for armor.

The 1st slot is your "actual equipped armor", and the 2nd slot is the style slot for how you want to look.

However, the style slot must be equipped with armor equal to the level of your "actual equipped armor".

Excuse me, I meant I don't see much use in researching 9 trait other than for twice born. Not that twice born is useless to clarify.
    Edited by HighT3chR3dn3ck on August 27, 2016 3:36PM
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A great step forward for crafters would be to allow to slots for armor.

The 1st slot is your "actual equipped armor", and the 2nd slot is the style slot for how you want to look.

However, the style slot must be equipped with armor equal to the level of your "actual equipped armor".

Excuse me, I meant I don't see much use in researching 9 trait other than for twice born. Not that twice born is useless to clarify.

Genius
  • Kelces
    Kelces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "You never will, mortal!" - Hermaeus Mora
    Just imagined this, I thought it fits very well, since ZOS will keep releasing new motifs... :wink:
    You reveal yourself best in how you play.

Kelces - Argonian Templar
    Farel Donvu - Dark Elf Sorcerer
    Navam Llervu - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Aniseth - Wood Elf Warden
    Therediel - Wood Elf Templar
    Nilonwy - Wood Elf Nightblade
    Jurupari - Argonian Warden
    Kú-Chulainn - Argonian Sorcerer
    PC - EU
    For the Pact!
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I see 9 trait research and learning styles as things to achieve rather than something that is really beneficial, similar to master angler (except they get a title for it!!). With new styles coming out seemingly every other week you get to a point where you wouldn't bother trying to keep up.

For me researching is something that I want to do simply because it is there and the research just hums along in the background while you play the game. There is some work (and possibly cost) to put into sourcing nirnhoned items but they have changed the game so that even nirnhoned items aren't that special any more.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • StezySteve
    They should come up with more high end craftable armors for all the people who spent that time. Although I am almost there I'm still committed to getting all traits for my clothier expert no matter what. I'm at the point I just check research times and try to keep something going.
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped at 8 trait for just this reason.

Nirnhoned itself doesn't seem that beneficial, and the TBS armor market is as you already stated - limited.

• Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You don't really do anything though. Just press a button and wait until you can press a button again.

Same goes towards people that ask to have seducer etc crafted. That takes like a month. Of not doing anything.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When ZOS introduces the 10th trait I'm sure the OP will have a different take:

"SO GLAD I researched 9 traits and didn't QQ in the forums about it ... "
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my main crafter now has 9 trait in everything except maul(8), mace(7) & medium shoulders(8).... i have most motifs and... and.... im running around in 6 trait & drooped gear sets.....

and spend ALL of my time farming for dropped gear &/or motifs

i started learning crafting so i wouldnt have to farm for things and could instead enjoy playing the content, and yet here i am a year later and im still farming! :(
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When questioned a while back about the point sink that was crafting, there was a quote (someone diligent can look it up), wherein ZOS stated that they wanted max crated equipment to be the pinnacle of what could be obtained...

and ever since they have proceeded with undermining the usefulness of master crafting with mega=power dropped sets,

In particular the DB DLC Sithis gear is laughably bad (5th item boosts blade of woe!?!?!)
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When questioned a while back about the point sink that was crafting, there was a quote (someone diligent can look it up), wherein ZOS stated that they wanted max crated equipment to be the pinnacle of what could be obtained...

and ever since they have proceeded with undermining the usefulness of master crafting with mega=power dropped sets,

In particular the DB DLC Sithis gear is laughably bad (5th item boosts blade of woe!?!?!)

BTW, Sithis set is dropped, not crafted, so this particular example doesn't support your statement here.
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still get tons of orders for crafted armor. They range from level 4 training gear to CP 160 Legendary items. People still like to use 1-2 crafted pieces within their builds and most of them can't make all the styles or have 9 traits yet.

I do agree though that the new DLC's should all be 9 trait sets and have mentioned this before in other posts. There's no reason that these shouldn't be 9 trait sets anyway. People don't buy the DLC's to be able to craft the items, they buy it to do all the new exploring, quests, delves, WB's and everything else non craft related.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tevalaur wrote: »

BTW, Sithis set is dropped, not crafted, so this particular example doesn't support your statement here.

Dropped yes, but indicative of the worthlessness of the sets in DB in general. There's not even a point trying to argue that crafted is better than dropped sets.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that all new crafted sets should be 9 Trait. However there should be more 9 Trait sets (and 8 and 7 for that matter). And, these sets can be equivalent to Dropped sets, at least for the 3 to 5 piece bonuses. Certain Dropped items should continue to offer better stats for 1 and 2 pieces, like the Monster Sets do now.

Problem is, with the current game, all they can really do is introduce more power creep. Which can be good, but can be bad too. ZOS has tried to introduce build diversity through the new sets, Clever Alchemist for example can be very powerful for a Niche build, but people don't make a lot of Niche Builds. I don't see them changing the game to force more diversity, in other words Soft and Hard Caps.

So, what I propose is they offer more Crafted Sets that make Niche builds something to be desired. Clever Alchemist is a step in the right direction, let's hope they have more like this. How many traits is not all that important for this. I do think 6 is a good minimum though.
    Edited by Nestor on August 30, 2016 8:42PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ...and ever since they have proceeded with undermining the usefulness of master crafting with mega=power dropped sets,
    )
    Agree with this statement, ESO has undermined any bonus or benefit in learning all traits by releasing far superior dropped sets. This is only being made worse with each DLC and the new sets that become available.

Crafting would be more valuable if the best/preferred sets in the game could only be crafted. This would then also reduce the need/desire to complete some of the more difficult trials, dungeons, quests, etc., so is a catch 22.
  • scorpiodog
    scorpiodog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we could craft Jewelry I'd see some purpose for it. I can see How I'd like to have 2 5-piece crafted sets with a 2 or 1 piece monster set.

Not being able to craft Jewelry limits their flexibility.

I think they originally were going to make jewelry craftable, but dropped it. If they brought it back to the table crafting would be more relevant.

But until then researching 8 traits is mostly only useful if you want to level a lower level alternate easier with specific leveling builds.
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But if the 10th trait is open to all, it'll take us 30 days to research compared to someone who has no traits and can start mass producing it after like 3 hours of research. ;P
  • NoMoreChillies
    NoMoreChillies
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still wish ZOS would let 9 trait master crafters change the look of items.\
    Monster helms look dumb, crafted helms can look so much better
    Insulting people on the internet is cowardly.
  • crcraig
    crcraig
    I think it would be sweet if researching the max number of traits in a crafting profession (i.e., blacksmithing, clothing, woodworking) unlocked the ability to post-edit styles on armor.

The total amount of time needed to research everything is so significant there should be a significant reward. Allow the users to re-style bound armor/weapons. Heck, make it expensive...I don't care...but give us something for spending the time to do all the research.
    Sorcerer, Breton
    Nightblade, Redguard
    Dragonknight, Imperial
    Templar, Argonian
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, I often choose not to display the helmet when wearing monster sets as they are ugly and oversized.
  • fyrestrtr88
    fyrestrtr88
    ✭✭
    Seriously, I feel like I wasted (well more so than usual) in researching everything and learning all the Style Motifs.

1. Monster Armor - The helmet and shoulder pieces, which is the most noticeable style is completely negated by monster armor. No one uses crafted shoulder and helmets anymore.

2. New Armor Sets - I used to get messages all the time people asking me to craft for them. Since the Thieves Guild update, I think I've crafted twice for someone.

3. New Craftable Armor - Why is there DLC armor that IS NOT 9 trait research? All DLC armor should be 9 trait research. Why did I research 9 traits?

I am glad I can craft twice born, but I don't see much use for it anymore and even less in the future.

[Omg I am dying to get my hands on twice born...im level 44 blacksmithing and I have 158 champion points...ive researched since the beginning, but I still have some ways to go.
  • hiyde
    hiyde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pandorii wrote: »

But if the 10th trait is open to all, it'll take us 30 days to research compared to someone who has no traits and can start mass producing it after like 3 hours of research. ;P

Psh, with a high limit credit card to buy all the needed Crown Research Scrolls, anyone can be 10-traited in minutes!
    @Hiyde GM/Founder - Bleakrock Barter Co (Trade Guild - PC/NA) | Blackbriar Barter Co (Trade Guild-PC/NA)
  • O_LYKOS
    O_LYKOS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can probably count the amount of crafted sets being used in game right now. not one of them being 9 trait.
    PC NA - GreggsSausageRoll
    Xbox NA - CinnamonRoll266
  • CorsennaRyu
    CorsennaRyu
    ✭✭
    Let's be real, I'm a 9 trait crafter, but I know they're never going to make crafted sets as powerful as dropped regardless of what they claim. If they did, we could easily opt out of hours on hours on hours of mind-numbing and frustrating dungeon farming and stay just as relevant, and why would they want us to be able to do that?
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe link TRANSMOG to master crafting?
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be interesting if you needed the research to upgrade items as well as craft them from scratch? And dropped items had a trait rating like the crafted sets? :D
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    O_LYKOS wrote: »
    I can probably count the amount of crafted sets being used in game right now. not one of them being 9 trait.

Did you add in the 13 I use?

Everyone of my alts has at least one 5 piece crafted set. And frequently has a 2 piece sprinkled in for good measure.

PS, none of those sets are Twice Born Star either
    Edited by Nestor on July 6, 2017 10:12PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Smackosynthesis
    Smackosynthesis
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so far 4 traits on average for everything in all three of the disciplines. Not level 50 yet, but I feel like when I hit 160 or whatever that I'm gonna have to farm a set of dropped gear instead of using crafted sets to be competetive, based on what I read on these forums. No one ever says to use crafted sets... I also want to make armor in the motifs I've grinded for, not just look like whatever the dropped sets force me to look like.

Anyway, I'm just beginning to think this is a waste of time. If it comes to having to grind dropped pieces in order to stay competitive, I'm just gonna quit. Don't have the time, patience, or the desire to do so.
  • Glamdring
    Glamdring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep researching with the new Horns of the Reach DLC crafted sets gets a boost, for example Twice Born Star and nirnhoned weps are gonna be desirable again for endgame content. And there are many good crafted sets out there.
  • randomkeyhits
    randomkeyhits
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pandorii wrote: »

Not a problem, ZOS has a solution coming just for you!

latest datamining for 3.1.0 shows research scrolls for not 24 but 168 full hours. :|

So long as you fit their preferred spend-all-the-monies model you can keep up. :/

on the positive side those no traiters can't put the new trait onto a set requiring six traits without a lot more researching anyway.
    EU PS4